• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

802 window seats

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeti

I am travelling to Barnstable and back from London and would like to reserve a seat on the 802s with an actual view out of the window. Judging by photos I have fair chance of no view at all. The GWR site does not allow you to choose a seat. Is there a diagram online which shows the positions of the windows which would help. I am travelling out on a Friday and back on a Monday so I expect the train will be busy so would have to take the seat I am given.
From what I have heard about the seats driving might be an attractive alternative if there is no window.
The comfort of trains seems to be getting worse not better.
Bring back sprung cushions!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

If your journey is immediate then it might be down to chance.
However if you have a couple of days to go it might be worth taking a short journey on one if you can to see.

trainsplit.com allows you to select seats on any TOC?
But it doesn't show you where the windows are -- for it to be useful for the OP's purpose you need:
a diagram online which shows the positions of the windows
or else a good memory from previous journeys of which seats are good/bad in this respect. (I can't provide that; from memory I think your biggest risk of no view at all may be right at the end of the coach, but I'm not certain of that. Other people may have more idea).
Judging by photos I have fair chance of no view at all.
I haven't noticed the IET's being particularly worse in this respect than most modern trains (not that that's saying much), and I think they're better than Pendolinos.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Quite a few photos online from which you might be able to work out a few seats with view, you don't need to know all of them.

80x are a fair way better than Pendolinos, yes. Pendolinos seem to have only about 50% of seats with a decent view (and plenty with none), 80x it's probably about 75% or thereabouts.

The very end seats are to be avoided as they have no view and no central armrest.

yeti

Thank you very much for the trainsplit recommendation. It is much better than the GWR website and cheaper. Combining it's clear seating plan and a Youtube clip of boarding and walking through an 802 carriage I was able to select a good seat. The tricky bit was had to make sure I knew which carriage they were boarding as all the carriages differ some slightly.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Thank you very much for the trainsplit recommendation. It is much better than the GWR website and cheaper. Combining it's clear seating plan and a Youtube clip of boarding and walking through an 802 carriage I was able to select a good seat. The tricky bit was had to make sure I knew which carriage they were boarding as all the carriages differ some slightly.

Good stuff, enjoy your journey!

Status
Not open for further replies.