• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

87002 to Edinburgh - Fri 10th September 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
http://www.rail-bluecharters.co.uk/tour_list/friday_september_10th_-_the_west_coast_premier

TIMINGS

Pick up stations are Watford Junction (depart 05.30, return 23.40 ), Hemel Hempstead (depart 05.45, return 23.25), Berkhampsted (depart 05.50 return 23.20), Tring (depart 06.00, return 23.10), Leighton Buzzard (depart 06.10, return 22.50), Milton Keynes Central (depart 06.25, return 22.45), Northampton (depart 06.45, return 22.25), Rugby (depart 07.05, return 22.05), Nuneaton (depart 07.20, return 21.45), EDINBURGH (arrive 12.00, depart 17.00).

Please note that these timings are approximate and when validated timings are received from Network Rail, we will post actual timings.

THE LOCOMOTIVES AND ROLLING STOCK

The locomotive will be the AC Loco Group's Class 87, No. 87002. The stock will be formed of the Cargo-D MkIII first class vehicles for Premier Dining and first class travel. MkII vehicles are provided for Standard Class accommodation. All seats are seated around a table in a bay of four (bays of two in Premier Dining & First are available).

FARES

Premier Dining is £149, First Class £84 (£64 for juniors aged 10 and under) and Standard Class £57 (£37 for juniors aged 10 or under). We are sorry we cannot offer discounts for dining for juniors.

Gotta be done

VirginTrainFreak please note this is on a Friday and sadly falls on the same date as the Virgin Pendolino Happy Meal Gala, we won't miss you much hahah ;) :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shame theres no pick up points north of Nuneaton...only way to get south on the day is on a nasty Pendo<(

Established Member
Shame theres no pick up points north of Nuneaton...only way to get south on the day is on a nasty Pendo<(

Yeah shame that me and a few mates are crashing at a place in Watford £25 I think it costs, unsure if thats per night as I was just told by my mate "£25, sleep in a bed one night on the floor the other" :lol:

Daimler

Established Member
Usually I'm a steam railtour fan, but this one's a bit special - and it picks up at my local station...

Established Member
Usually I'm a steam railtour fan, but this one's a bit special - and it picks up at my local station...

It may be the first ever 87 to make a booked call at Tring - I'd love to know the gen if anyone knows otherwise.

Drimnagh Road

Hellfire!

Don't trust Rail Blue as they tend to cape a lot of tours, so will wait till nearer the time before making arrangements. I agree, a stop at Stafford or Crewe would be welcome, especially since the train is no doubt gonna stop somewhere en-route for a driver change.

Established Member
Shame its a friday too, I dont think that will help due to some people having Work/School/College/uni ect

still hopefull it all goes well :D

theblackwatch

Established Member
Shame its a friday too, I dont think that will help due to some people having Work/School/College/uni ect

still hopefull it all goes well :D

I've done a few midweek railtours and they've all been quite popular. People who work shifts will often find it easier to get time off midweek, and for others, it ensures the weekend is kept free for family, galas, etc. I notice Compass and the Kirklees Green Party have a number of midweek tours this year.

Hellfire!

Don't trust Rail Blue as they tend to cape a lot of tours, so will wait till nearer the time before making arrangements. I agree, a stop at Stafford or Crewe would be welcome, especially since the train is no doubt gonna stop somewhere en-route for a driver change.

Either way its the only date set for 87002 at the moment so lets hope they dont cape it......seems also odd that they dont start it at Euston. eother way its worth making the effort to do the tour be fuming if they do axe it though An operator should do a Euston-Glasgow first stop Preston just like 1S57 was back in the 80s and 90s, just hope the tour gets plenty of interest so they dont cape it

Established Member
Yeah I hope it isnt canned, Les ross 86 tour Crewe-Euston was because of low bookings :( was for help the heroes too so lets hope they run it again.

Established Member
I've done a few midweek railtours and they've all been quite popular. People who work shifts will often find it easier to get time off midweek, and for others, it ensures the weekend is kept free for family, galas, etc. I notice Compass and the Kirklees Green Party have a number of midweek tours this year.

Plus attempt number 2 at Glasgow with Spitfire was a Wednesday anyway.

alex57601

Hellfire!

Sometimes tours are caped due to circumstances beyond their control, so can hardly be blamed.

As for stops, I see that this tour is aimed more for those living in the West Midlands and the Home Counties - places that hardly ever see a tour of some sort. I know of a few people who have booked into Travelodge/Premier Inn hotels in Watford for the night before, so perhaps for those further north who really want to do this one it might be worth looking into while the rates are good.

One problem with an Euston start is that a second loco would be needed to drag the set in to Euston in the morning and out again at night. I think for those living in that part of the London outer area Watford isn't the most difficult of places to get to.

Daimler

Established Member
What are the chances of a standby diesel on the back of this tour, does anyone think?

Do Rail-Blue/Cargo-D usually do this?

the chances are pretty high despite the class 87s reliability record, expect a nasty maroon lump on the back. not really needed at Edinburgh cos of it not being a terminus no need to shunt the stock.

captainbigun

the chances are pretty high despite the class 87s reliability record, expect a nasty maroon lump on the back. not really needed at Edinburgh cos of it not being a terminus no need to shunt the stock.

Thankfully GB are operating this. So no nasty duff lingering around slowing down proceedings.

captainbigun

An extra 100 tonnes of junk does make quite a big difference. Certainly makes a difference to the train planners.

Losing the Mk2s would be better still, alas not an option with this one.

An extra 100 tonnes of junk does make quite a big difference. Certainly makes a difference to the train planners.

Losing the Mk2s would be better still, alas not an option with this one.

I disagree there, our timings last July compared with the ill fated North Charters trip a month earlier if I recall correctly the timings on the outward point to point Crewe to Glasgow were little different.

Having the extra weight onboard didn't stop 002 pushing the boundaries either, those onboard will testify to that, chasing a TPE185 over Shap (which was RA Carlisle-Lancaster) on the southbound run ;).

I think this is a great tour, shame it's not to Glasgow, but Edinburgh is more saleable making Glasgow a gamble, what fills is what counts.

Best of luck to RBC with this one, may just try and see if the outbound is possible, as we've a tour pencilled in for the Saturday on the ECML.

captainbigun

Not sure the Northern Charters attempt is a good comparison! I don't recall seeing the times for that one, not sure it got as far as NR planning.

Not having a dead loco on the back also means those in the rear of the train don't suffer whiplash everytime there is a reasonable brake.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If GBRf are operating it would they not possibly have a hired in 57/3 on the rear?

Why does there need to be rear loco? It starts at Watford so ECS from Wembley and not ecs loco required at Edinburgh. The 87 can supply ETS as well.

Established Member
If GBRf are operating it would they not possibly have a hired in 57/3 on the rear?

I'd have thought if they are going to have anything on the back (hopefully not) a can would be likely... as long as anything on the back doesn't work i shan't be too fussed!

captainbigun

Only the one loco requested.....

GBRf operating, but not paying! RBC would have to bear the cost of an additional loco.

Established Member
I disagree there, our timings last July compared with the ill fated North Charters trip a month earlier if I recall correctly

I heard Northern Charters was all a scam and they never set out to do tours at all, last years 87002 tour to Glasgow was very good indeed :D

alex57601

I heard Northern Charters was all a scam and they never set out to do tours at all, last years 87002 tour to Glasgow was very good indeed :D

Not a scam as such, but let's say they were overambitious with their plans (such as 4x20s to Skegness) and other rumblings that went on which isn't for me to say.

Not sure the Northern Charters attempt is a good comparison! I don't recall seeing the times for that one, not sure it got as far as NR planning.

Not having a dead loco on the back also means those in the rear of the train don't suffer whiplash everytime there is a reasonable brake.
I would've thought it was, it was timed at 100mph, it got timed, as it was routed via Mount Florida IIRC on the return, something you quoted on, on the wnxx forum, presuming you are the same captainbigun?.

Status
Not open for further replies.