• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A bit of a SWR oddity (buses running alongside trains)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I was looking at RTT for ideas of something to do this coming Sunday and it seems SWR have replaced the Salisbury - Reading stopping service with buses between Salisbury & Basingstoke calling at all the stations with a separate shuttle between Basingstoke & Reading, but it seems the Waterloo - Exeter semi-fasts are still running as normal.

Later in the day when the Salisbury - Reading stoppers swap to running to Waterloo they are being run as trains (last bus being the 1544 Salisbury to Basingstoke with the 16:44 departure onwards being trains).

I guess it's due to staff shortage in running buses for the stoppers whilst the semi-fasts carry on as normal?

(Just a bit annoying as it means if I wanted to travel to Salisbury/Basingstoke on Sunday it would be via a replacement bus)

(No mention of any engineering works on NRE which affects Salisbury - Basingstoke)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I was looking at RTT for ideas of something to do this coming Sunday and it seems SWR have replaced the Salisbury - Reading stopping service with buses between Salisbury & Basingstoke calling at all the stations with a separate shuttle between Basingstoke & Reading, but it seems the Waterloo - Exeter semi-fasts are still running as normal.

Later in the day when the Salisbury - Reading stoppers swap to running to Waterloo they are being run as trains (last bus being the 1544 Salisbury to Basingstoke with the 16:44 departure onwards being trains).

I guess it's due to staff shortage in running buses for the stoppers whilst the semi-fasts carry on as normal?

(Just a bit annoying as it means if I wanted to travel to Salisbury/Basingstoke on Sunday it would be via a replacement bus)

(No mention of any engineering works on NRE which affects Salisbury - Basingstoke)

I can only assume a shortage of drivers with the Reading route knowledge available to work on Sunday? But seems odd they couldn't just run to Basingstoke instead, or the driver shortage really is worse and terminating at Basingstoke causes problems?

Veteran Member
The NRE site has - in the section relating to Southampton
Additionally on Sunday, buses will replace trains between Basingstoke and Salisbury.
Even by NRE standards this is poor, and there is nothing on the SWR website about this.

My first reaction is that the WTT trains should have been deleted/altered, but I may be wrong. I suggest contacting SWR directly.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The NRE site has - in the section relating to Southampton

Even by NRE standards this is poor, and there is nothing on the SWR website about this.

My first reaction is that the WTT trains should have been deleted/altered, but I may be wrong. I suggest contacting SWR directly.

That is just poor from NRE, why lump a mention in about the Salisbury - Basingstoke line for works in the Southampton area.

Status
Not open for further replies.