• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Signal_Box

I always thought TSSA can’t rep you like a RMT rep does only sit in like any other employee could ?

I’ve recently left the RMT after 18 years, currently unrepresented so if TSSA can dice me the same level of cover as RMT I might sign up.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

High Dyke

Established Member
Can Signallers join another union that isn't the RMT? Say the TSSA? Would they be able to provide support and legal cover should I be involved in a major incident? Don't want to really get into the political side of things on why you would want to not join the RMT just want a simple answer.
The choice is up to the individual, including not being in a trade union (pesky anti-union laws). However, for you own protection it is beneficial to join a union. Collective bargaining agreements between management and trade unions identify which specific group of staff are represented by which TU. For frontline signalling and maintenance staff this would be the RMT. Office based staff maybe in TSSA.

SignallerJohn

I do want to be a Signaler but want to be as educated and aware of the health risks as possible. I currently work 12 hours shifts at varying start times now (not quite the 5pm/6pm/7pm - 5am/6am/7am) and have done the last 7 years in my current role. Would like to add that my current rota is a mix of days and nights, not just nights.

I just want to know what world I'm moving into and the best ways to navigate it to ensure I'm maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Now if the feedback is that health and Signaling do not and cannot run parallel then that's a different conversation I suppose.

Just looking for a much honest feedback as possible so I really appreciate the reply.
Shift work is not good. Research also shows that the clocks going forward is really bad for people too. There are plenty of rules that come with rostering and signalling that you will learn about. Ask the questions to your peers when you start and learn about hidden, how many hours between shifts etc. If you only followed your base roster, no overtime, you will be in a different position than the resident signaller that does everything legally possible.

The box you go to is relevant too, some workstations have periods of inactivity. And an assist should be on hand to give regular breaks.

Railwayer

Hello :)
Due to start IST on the 4th July in York- anyone else on the same course?

Also for people recently through/ going through any tips?
And which hotels are being utilised at the minute?

Thanks for any help

SalzH

Hi all,

A question relating to the AON tests.

I've currently got a few applications ongoing and I have been invited to take the Aon tests for both.

I know under the old SHL tests the results were kept on record and used for all applications. Am I correct in believing this has now changed and I will have to take the test for each application?

Chrisjhbrown

Thanks for any help
People say to write tons of notes the power points on the board are from the rule book so make notes on them , lean the principle of track circuit block , definition of an overlap , permissive line ect ect , don’t let it get to u , it’s a hell of a lot of info crammed into the 12 weeks , try not to get nervy on the simulator learn from mistakes and remember coms are huge in this role, iv been track and overheads for 9 years and this was massive I have the upmost respect for people passing this course

Railwayer

People say to write tons of notes the power points on the board are from the rule book so make notes on them , lean the principle of track circuit block , definition of an overlap , permissive line ect ect , don’t let it get to u , it’s a hell of a lot of info crammed into the 12 weeks , try not to get nervy on the simulator learn from mistakes and remember coms are huge in this role, iv been track and overheads for 9 years and this was massive I have the upmost respect for people passing this course
Thank you that’s really helpful!

I’m railway staff at the minute have been for 7 years but customer service side so this is all a minefield for me, I’ll have a quick look at what you have said :) I know people have said not to do too much research as it’s all covered on the course.
Just want to have some basic definitions in my head!

Chrisjhbrown

Thank you that’s really helpful!

I’m railway staff at the minute have been for 7 years but customer service side so this is all a minefield for me, I’ll have a quick look at what you have said :) I know people have said not to do too much research as it’s all covered on the course.
Just want to have some basic definitions in my head!
Go with a clean slate they will give u all the info , I know a lot of people write pages upon pages during the course but the slide shows are the rule book. It’s not difficult its a shear volume of info u need to remember , private message me if u need to go into detail il tell u straight ! What are u going to a panel , ab or vdu

Railwayer

Go with a clean slate they will give u all the info , I know a lot of people write pages upon pages during the course but the slide shows are the rule book. It’s not difficult its a shear volume of info u need to remember , private message me if u need to go into detail il tell u straight ! What are u going to a panel , ab or vdu
Thank you :)
Not too sure yet! Just been told an area for now- hoping to arrange a box visit with my LOM and he may tell me

LAX54

Established Member
Has anyone got any idea how many hours we can be booked to work in a 7 day period from October, we had paperwork from the union about a year ago saying 48 hours average but could extend to 60 if needed now it seems 60 is the average
Is it not an average of hours over the roster cycle, albeit a maximum hour limit you can work in any one week ? this way you get, or can get, blocks or rest days.

Amberk

Thank you :)
Not too sure yet! Just been told an area for now- hoping to arrange a box visit with my LOM and he may tell me
I imagine much like the ist group I'm in you have been recruited to an area and will be expected to apply for open vacancies in that area (or others) whilst you are studying . As others have said...don't read up. Let them teach you everything you need to know. I'm just about to start my second week

mac

Is it not an average of hours over the roster cycle, albeit a maximum hour limit you can work in any one week ? this way you get, or can get, blocks or rest days.

That's what I'd like to no is it 48 hours average or 60, most other industries have been 48 hour average for years

Demx93

I started signalling school back in January and I didn’t even last a week, my mental health took over, I didn’t sleep for two nights straight! Got overwhelmed too quickly and decided it wasn’t actually for me! As somebody said previously.. massive respect to those who can complete the training! And good luck to those who will be starting :)

High Dyke

Established Member
I started signalling school back in January and I didn’t even last a week, my mental health took over, I didn’t sleep for two nights straight! Got overwhelmed too quickly and decided it wasn’t actually for me! As somebody said previously.. massive respect to those who can complete the training! And good luck to those who will be starting :)
Sorry to hear that things didn't work out for you. I hope your situation improves and wish you all the best for the future. You do have a good point though. It can be overwhelming for some; even those of us who have experience can get caught out. I personally had one of those days yesterday, but I've tried not to dwell on that event, though it can be difficult not to. I returned to work this morning (same location) with a better state of mind and a fresh view.

Railwayer

I imagine much like the ist group I'm in you have been recruited to an area and will be expected to apply for open vacancies in that area (or others) whilst you are studying . As others have said...don't read up. Let them teach you everything you need to know. I'm just about to start my second week
Thank you for the advice :)
How are you finding it? And if your in York which hotels have you been allocated?

Amberk

Thank you for the advice :)
How are you finding it? And if your in York which hotels have you been allocated?
We are in york. We are in the park inn but from week 3 middletons and elmbank. Seem to be using different hotels at the moment. Couple of guys in random ones alone. It'd basically what's available at the time.
IST is hard. I won't lie. You have to put the extra effort in outside class times to succeed and there is lots to remember. I've not mastered the sim yet but a few in my group have. Work with your classmates and test each other.

Qball

We are in york. We are in the park inn but from week 3 middletons and elmbank. Seem to be using different hotels at the moment. Couple of guys in random ones alone. It'd basically what's available at the time.
IST is hard. I won't lie. You have to put the extra effort in outside class times to succeed and there is lots to remember. I've not mastered the sim yet but a few in my group have. Work with your classmates and test each other.
Remember to chill out. Give yourself time to switch off it's alot to take in. When I went I would fill out the quiz sheets from the rule books and revise from them.

Railwayer

Thank you :) nice to have a slight idea on what’s ahead!
Yeah I live relatively close but I’ll be staying in the hotels to put in the most effort

KieranG110

Good evening,

New to the forum and have been reading as much information as possible.

I completed the online assesments just over a week ago. How long does it normally take from completing the tests to knowing whether you've made it through the next stage of the recruitment process?

I'm trying not to get carried away as I may not be successful.

TIA

KlichBate

Thanks for any help
Just had all my pre-employment checks completed so I'll be there on the 4th mate. Glad to finally get it over the line.

SWTurbo

Anybody in the know able to give some insight on the link structure (workstations wise) at TVSC? I’ve had a search but nothing has come up.

I’ve seen the multiple jobs going on the internal list, heard it was due to airlines taking their old pilots back? Also heard various things about TVSC (both good and bad) so any other points are also welcomed!

TIA

Signal_Box

London Link G9
Reading Link G9
Link 3 G7
Link 4 G8

Yes they took on loads of pilots who funny enough went back to flying planes as soon as they could.

Exscrew

Who’s of thought highly paid airline staff would flock back to flying once their industry got back on its feet…..obviously not the recruiting manager !
My friend works at didcot and has told me they are leaving in masses.
Shame as the training spots are hard to come by

Signal_Box

Didcot has always, and will always have huge issues with retention it’s purely a foot in the door location due to its….well location.

Falcon1200

Established Member
Who’s of thought highly paid airline staff would flock back to flying once their industry got back on its feet…..obviously not the recruiting manager !

So job applicants who fulfil or indeed excel in every criteria should be denied appointment if there's a chance they might leave for another job in the future ? Not sure that's how recruitment does or can work !

Signal_Box

So job applicants who fulfil or indeed excel in every criteria should be denied appointment if there's a chance they might leave for another job in the future ? Not sure that's how recruitment does or can work !

Did I say that ? Nope….

I don’t blame them for one moment, sat for 12hrs in a sealed dark room with social rejects to work with compared to flying 30,000 ft in the air go far flung parts of the world, let me just think about that choice for a moment.

I do question the decision to require in such large numbers for the same link at the same location however. Close to £1,000,000 in training wasted, money which could of been invested in making the environment a more pleasant to work in.

cowboysfan

Did I say that ? Nope….

I don’t blame them for one moment, sat for 12hrs in a sealed dark room with social rejects to work with compared to flying 30,000 ft in the air go far flung parts of the world, let me just think about that choice for a moment.

I do question the decision to require in such large numbers for the same link at the same location however. Close to £1,000,000 in training wasted, money which could of been invested in making the environment a more pleasant to work in.
Genuinely curious what could actually make these environments more pleasant to work in? I do currently work in a ROC but I'm fairly new to it, there does seem to be a fair few signallers that dislike it, aside from the office politics so far I'm actually enjoying the environment although better breakout facilities could be provided and more structured meal relief.