• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ducatist4

At my place if you not heading out of the door at knock off time you’ll get trampled by the management!
but really we get flexi leave so I can get an extra two days leave a month if I want if I work a bit extra each day. But I don’t want as I’ve got 29 days annual plus bank holidays anyhow and I struggle to use that. No one works anything close to 48 hours a week unless they are doing to claim flexi leave.
The joys of being a local government officer

ChunkyChips

A big thank you to everybody who has contributed to this thread, it has been so helpful.

I’ve just completed all of my onboarding and I’ll be starting IST on the 2nd of January in Bristol :)

Got confirmation that I will be starting IST in Bristol on 9th January. Is there anyone else that is going?!
I’m going to be in Bristol in January too! See you there! :)

Hi everyone. Thought I'd make an account and comment here to help out. I currently work as a relief signaller in Cornwall and will be moving over to the new workstation in Exeter.

If anyone here has got a job for Exeter in terms of the cornish resignalling drop me a message. I can help answer any qs in regards to your signalling school and assist along the way if you need any answers.

Looking forward to working with whomever sees this
Hi MK88,

Thanks for reaching out, I really appreciate it. I’ll be joining you in Exeter.

They told me during the interview that the vacancy was for the new workstation.

I don’t think I can send DMs yet but when I get that function, I’ll definitely be in touch!

Hey everyone! Just wanted to make a quick post and say thank you for all the invaluable information posted on here. Due to be starting IST on 31st October in Manchester! So for the time in between I’ve been sent to visit a signal box for a few hours a day for the last few days to get a look in at the life of a signaller while I wait to start. Safe to say I can’t wait to get going!
I didn’t know there was a signalling school in Manchester, is it located inside the ROC?

Good luck with your training!

Last edited:

mac

Them hours sound good Rockhopper but most signallers think they are missing out if not at work. In my box even though the working week is supposed to be 35 hours we are rostered to work 42 and each month we work 21 days out of the first 23

The decisions for most signaller positions is made by the relevant LOM, presumably the one that did the interviews. They can’t make the decisions until all interviews have happened, and then the LOM and 2nd interviewer have had chance to discuss the results together.

Once they’ve made a decision it gets discussed with any other relevant LOMs (if internal movement) and/or HR before telling the chosen candidate.
Normally then only once the chosen candidate has said yes/no will they move on to the rejections/reserve choices etc.

With the strikes etc at the moment all these processes are dragging out, and it only takes one postponed interview or week of LOM annual leave to put weeks into the process.

Royal351

The decisions for most signaller positions is made by the relevant LOM, presumably the one that did the interviews. They can’t make the decisions until all interviews have happened, and then the LOM and 2nd interviewer have had chance to discuss the results together.

Once they’ve made a decision it gets discussed with any other relevant LOMs (if internal movement) and/or HR before telling the chosen candidate.
Normally then only once the chosen candidate has said yes/no will they move on to the rejections/reserve choices etc.

With the strikes etc at the moment all these processes are dragging out, and it only takes one postponed interview or week of LOM annual leave to put weeks into the process.
Yeah, when I was told 2-3 weeks, didn't really bat an eye, as they clearly have more insider knowledge!

Bomber633

Morning folks, I have my medical for a Grade 3 signaller post in a couple of weeks, can anyone advise me what is involved and how long the medical takes?

cheers

SH89

Morning folks, I have my medical for a Grade 3 signaller post in a couple of weeks, can anyone advise me what is involved and how long the medical takes?

cheers
All fairly standard stuff mate, hearing test, eye test, blood pressure checks, BMI checks along with general health questions and finished with a urine test for D&A, only takes about an hour.

ChunkyChips

cheers

It took about an hour for me too. All the standard stuff that SH89 mentioned.

If you’ve answered yes to anything on the medical questionnaire, they might ask you some follow up questions if they need more info.

They’ll also ask you what medication you’ve taken in the two weeks prior to the medical, even over the counter stuff. So for those two weeks, make a note of anything you take and when you took it.

They told me at the end of the appointment that I’d passed but the pass was subject to the D&A test result being ok.

Shogun

Thanks for sharing this - useful info. I had an interview on 13th October which I thought went pretty well, but yet to hear anything back (so now still keeping fingers crossed.)

Bn98

Thanks for sharing this - useful info. I had an interview on 13th October which I thought went pretty well, but yet to hear anything back (so now still keeping fingers crossed.)
Definitely is useful info!
If it helps the waiting anxiety I also haven't heard anything yet but I think that's across the board.
Although am definitely prepping myself to expect bad news this time haha, a slightly less confident feeling creeping in ha! But hey it's a learning experience...

I would love to know how many vacancies it was for, does anyone know if there is a trend whether bigger centres recruit more in each drive/process?

If it makes you feel better, it is no quicker internally - if anything it’s slower as signallers need to be released from their shift to have the interviews, meaning they need someone to cover, and if they can’t be found it is postponed. If one candidate can’t be released to be interviewed it can be months after the first interview to the last!

You can’t tell unless you ask, or it says in the advert, about how many are being recruited.
The default internally is one job per advert unless it says otherwise.

For ‘contingent’ / ‘future’ external signaller intakes they have an approximate number in mind but it fluctuates.

rof1

If it helps the waiting anxiety I also haven't heard anything yet but I think that's across the board.
Although am definitely prepping myself to expect bad news this time haha, a slightly less confident feeling creeping in ha! But hey it's a learning experience...

I would love to know how many vacancies it was for, does anyone know if there is a trend whether bigger centres recruit more in each drive/process?
Hello again , my understanding is the advertisement was for four positions to cover the Victoria signalling centre move to the ROC which commences from January 2023

Still nothing heard here either

Seejwalker

If it makes you feel better, it is no quicker internally - if anything it’s slower as signallers need to be released from their shift to have the interviews, meaning they need someone to cover, and if they can’t be found it is postponed. If one candidate can’t be released to be interviewed it can be months after the first interview to the last!

You can’t tell unless you ask, or it says in the advert, about how many are being recruited.
The default internally is one job per advert unless it says otherwise.

For ‘contingent’ / ‘future’ external signaller intakes they have an approximate number in mind but it fluctuates.
What route are you on, I’ve never experienced someone not getting released for an interview.

What route are you on, I’ve never experienced someone not getting released for an interview.
I’m North&East and know of a good half dozen this year, and I’ve had it myself twice.
Most often round here it’s not being able to get nights covered so you can either postpone or turn up half asleep for an interview between 2 night turns.

Seejwalker

I’m North&East and know of a good half dozen this year, and I’ve had it myself twice.
Most often round here it’s not being able to get nights covered so you can either postpone or turn up half asleep for an interview between 2 night turns.
Crazy.

rof1

Alas, nothing. I don't think that many within the ROC actually make the decision. Aside from HR.

I would love to know how many vacancies it was for, does anyone know if there is a trend whether bigger centres recruit more in each
Anyone had the call about TBROC G9? Recruitment website has been updated - reserve list for me

LC346

Hi ive just been sent an invite for a signaller assessment day / interview. Has anyone been on one these recently and if so could you explain a little about what happens on the day. It would be much appreciated.