• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WL113

Yes, good luck! Mine is Wednesday too.

Good luck those interviewing for the WMSC.

Don't know how much you all know about the location and the roster links/grades etc. but I'll try to give you an idea.

Telford workstation: Grade 5

Wolverhampton workstation: Grade 7

Cherwell Valley workstation: Grade 7

North link: Walsall/Bescot/Stourbridge workstations: Grade 6 and track circuits only, no axle counters.

South link: Coventry/North Warwick/Snow Hill workstations: Grade 7.

Saltley link: Washwood Heath, Water Orton, Bromsgrove and Kings Norton workstations: Grade 7.

New Street link: Stour Valley, New Street and Proof House workstations: Grade 9.

All on 12 hour rosters now except the New Street link. Cherwell Valley is a mix of 8s and 12s.

Good luck again!

mint cake

Hello, I want to start by saying thank you to all those who have shared their insights on here: I've thoroughly enjoyed reading through it all since I've started to look into signalling as a career.

I'm looking at the positions currently advertised in Cumbria. My nearest signal boxes would be Culgaith and Kirkby Thore. Can anybody tell me any more about them in terms of shift patterns? Also, are these boxes likely to remain operational into the future? Don't want to pack in a secure job if they're likely to be shut down! Any information would be gratefully received.

I'm currently a teacher. Has anyone else on here made the transition from teaching to signalling? If so, how have you found it?

Thank you.

mart78

Hi mate, I’m a little further ahead in this. I was successful in my application for a G2 in the High Peak area. I start on Monday for a week in my local area, company induction etc, then I’m off to Salford for the IST for 12 weeks from 3rd April.

I mentioned at interview about pre booked holidays (September this year) and they were happy to honour them.

Doubt they’d want you to take holiday during the IST if that’s what you want, but I’ve found them more than reasonable to deal with so far.
Thanks for the reply mate. Well done and good luck on your IST. Could you offer any pearls of wisdom on the interview and scenario assessment? What to expect etc.
cheers

Stuarty117

Does anyone know how long you stay on the reserve list for?

I applied for Stirling in June last year, made reserve and they're now looking for lower grades 10 months later but advertising for these positions, I'm happy enough to apply again but it's got me wondering how the reserve list works

Does anyone know how long you stay on the reserve list for?

I applied for Stirling in June last year, made reserve and they're now looking for lower grades 10 months later but advertising for these positions, I'm happy enough to apply again but it's got me wondering how the reserve list works
Unless you’ve applied for a pool of jobs, it’s not a reserve list, you’re just the reserve candidate for a particular vacancy. If the top person for some reason doesn’t take the job then they’ll offer it to you, but it’s for that vacancy only not for any old job as a signaller.

It’s bad form for the online system not to be updated thus far into the future so maybe ask them to do so, but you would have heard within a couple of months maximum if they were going to offer it to you instead.

I’m still showing as the reserve candidate for a grade 3 job nearly 3 years ago!

Ross Mckenzie

Hello, I want to start by saying thank you to all those who have shared their insights on here: I've thoroughly enjoyed reading through it all since I've started to look into signalling as a career.

I'm looking at the positions currently advertised in Cumbria. My nearest signal boxes would be Culgaith and Kirkby Thore. Can anybody tell me any more about them in terms of shift patterns? Also, are these boxes likely to remain operational into the future? Don't want to pack in a secure job if they're likely to be shut down! Any information would be gratefully received.

I'm currently a teacher. Has anyone else on here made the transition from teaching to signalling? If so, how have you found it?

Thank you.
Hi Mint Cake,

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like cliché. Having a career as a signaller is incredibly rewarding and brings satisfaction. I don't have any regrets joining Network Rail as a signaller.

The shift patterns for the signal boxes along the Settle & Carlisle railway are 8 hrs. Beyond that I don't know.

In terms of remining operational. Only 2 years ago. £500,000 was invested into Garsdale signal box. Check-out the link https://www.networkrailmediacentre....revamp-on-picturesque-settle-to-carlisle-line . I honestly don't know how long they will remain operational for.

I've put my name in for Culgaith (internal application). Mainly because of my love for the S&C, also it's permanent position. I think I saw 7 position, for the 4 signal boxes.

It is a heck of a commitment to make. Opportunities like this, don't come around that often.

Regards.

Last edited:

Benjiw17

Well that's annoying, i had my video interview on March 8th and been radio silence since then

I just want to know either way if I'm getting it or not
I had mine on the 15th, And was offered a position yesterday, Might be worth dropping the generic recruitment support email a line just asking if there's any update, I hadn't heard back in a week and assumed I hadn't been successful, Gave them an email and they said they were still deciding etc.

Dean606

I had mine on the 15th, And was offered a position yesterday, Might be worth dropping the generic recruitment support email a line just asking if there's any update, I hadn't heard back in a week and assumed I hadn't been successful, Gave them an email and they said they were still deciding etc.
Yea i emailed last weekend they said they are waiting on outcomes, ill give it to friday before ill email again

mint cake

Hi Mint Cake,

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like cliché. Having a career as a signaller is incredibly rewarding and brings satisfaction. I don't have any regrets joining Network Rail as a signaller.

The shift patterns for the signal boxes along the Settle & Carlisle railway are 8 hrs. Beyond that I don't know.

In terms of remining operational. Only 2 years ago. £500,000 was invested into Garsdale signal box. Check-out the link https://www.networkrailmediacentre....revamp-on-picturesque-settle-to-carlisle-line . I honestly don't know how long they will remain operational for.

I've put my name in for Culgaith (internal application). Mainly because of my love for the S&C, also it's permanent position. I think I saw 7 position, for the 4 signal boxes.

It is a heck of a commitment to make. Opportunities like this, don't come around that often.

Regards.
Thanks Ross, good to hear that it's a great job and you've no regrets. It would be a huge change for me but I really like the sound of it and everyone on here seems to love it! All the best with your application.

Benjiw17

Thanks! I’ve seen this before, and this is the current roster my box is on. I’m going to be at Upper Holloway, just waiting to start IST now after many delays. But this roster isn’t compliant with the new ORR rules as far as I’m aware. I’d be very happy to work this roster though, it’s very similar to my old roster at the ambulance control room.

I was wondering what a compliant 12-hour roster might look like?
Apologies for going back a while, but was just having a read through everything, I've just been offered a Grade 3 role and am also coming from ambo control, how have you found the transition?

DC36

Good morning all, I've just received my first payslip since passing out from my box and I'm a little confused by the breakdown of pay with all the abbreviations etc. Is there by any chance a document somewhere that explains what they all mean and when night rates are paid to and from etc?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Good morning all, I've just received my first payslip since passing out from my box and I'm a little confused by the breakdown of pay with all the abbreviations etc. Is there by any chance a document somewhere that explains what they all mean?

Thanks in advance
Congrats on the first payslip. If you want to DM me any specifics then feel free, I expect if you’ve just passed out there’ll be some higher grade bits and pieces in there to this payslip. Plus this month will have our hard fought ‘pay award advance payment’

PTGRail

Apologies for going back a while, but was just having a read through everything, I've just been offered a Grade 3 role and am also coming from ambo control, how have you found the transition?
I was supposed to start IST in Ipswich on the 3rd January. This got delayed to the 20th March, then the 24th April - so I’ve not had chance to transition yet. I’ve been an employee since December, so have had several months of nothing to do. Can’t wait to get started in IST though! I think this job is going to be a lot less stressful than where we’ve come from for sure.

Benjiw17

I was supposed to start IST in Ipswich on the 3rd January. This got delayed to the 20th March, then the 24th April - so I’ve not had chance to transition yet. I’ve been an employee since December, so have had several months of nothing to do. Can’t wait to get started in IST though! I think this job is going to be a lot less stressful than where we’ve come from for sure.
Oh, that's interesting, How does it work regarding an 'official start date' and actually starting signalling school? As my start date is 10th of June, however, I was advised spots could be available as late as august. And I'm hoping for less stress levels! I'm starting to lose the will to live in SWAST...

How does it work regarding an 'official start date' and actually starting signalling school? As my start date is 10th of June, however, I was advised spots could be available as late as august.
Your Start date is when you join the company and start getting paid, it’s up to your LOM what happens between then and IST. Normally there’s classic new joiner stuff to get done like HR paperwork and lots of e-learning, as well as visiting your box and others in the area, maybe shadowing in boxes or with a MOM. Can also just be a lot of paid time at home though if your LOM can’t find things for you to do or if it’s a particularly long wait til IST, so make of it what you want really.

High Dyke

Established Member
Good morning all, I've just received my first payslip since passing out from my box and I'm a little confused by the breakdown of pay with all the abbreviations etc. Is there by any chance a document somewhere that explains what they all mean and when night rates are paid to and from etc?

Thanks in advance
If you go on the my docs section.of Epay there's an explanation of most payslip terms, but not all.

red2512

Had my interview today for WMSC and felt like it went well (without cursing it!). Hopefully others that had there's today felt positive about their own ones. Mine was nice and relaxed and was actually a lot less stressful than I thought it would be!

For anyone looking forwards to interviews I cannot state the importance of the key technical skills and examples for each enough.

Playing the waiting game now, especially as a current teacher wanting to secure a post before the resignation deadline in May!

ThatsAMorey

Thanks for the reply mate. Well done and good luck on your IST. Could you offer any pearls of wisdom on the interview and scenario assessment? What to expect etc.
cheers
Apologies, had a busy few days.

The scenario assessment, did it several months ago. My advice is to make use of the time you have, try to think it through before speaking.

My interview was an online one, but I found it quite relaxed and enjoyable. Again don’t rush your answers, but understand that they do have so many questions to ask in a set time, so try not to ramble on. Be yourself.

SuperS16v

Had my interview today for WMSC and felt like it went well (without cursing it!). Hopefully others that had there's today felt positive about their own ones. Mine was nice and relaxed and was actually a lot less stressful than I thought it would be!

For anyone looking forwards to interviews I cannot state the importance of the key technical skills and examples for each enough.

Playing the waiting game now, especially as a current teacher wanting to secure a post before the resignation deadline in May!

Congratulations mate, glad it went well. I echo the above too. If you prepare properly for the interview it’s pretty straightforward! They told me at the end we will most likely be told the results after they finish interviewing everyone around April 20th

Csb362

Question: if a vacancy is advertised for various grades in one location, is the preference going to goto internal candidates or external??
Depending on who has applied for the job internally and externally the hiring manager would then try and pair a suitable candidate to each role, for instance if you have a box with high traffic or one that is needing filled ASAP and a trained signaller applies internally then a hiring manager would be daft not to try pair them to that location