• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

ajs101

Thank you for the reply. I did send an email beginning of the week to the recruitment team and as yet I've heard nothing. Just this feeling of being in limbo is frustrating, do I apply for other jobs etc? Just would like to know were i stand.
From my own experience it took about two months from applying to being offered a role, six weeks of which was waiting for the outcome of my interview. They do tend to move slowly but bare in mind the volume of applications that might be being processed and my advice would be to always keep your options open until there is a firm offer on the table. If you are successful then great, if not then you don't want to miss out on other opportunities because you have waited for this one. I had another application in process at the same time, just in case I was unsuccessful.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gemz91

I once wore a hoody to an interview, it was a freezing cold day and I wore a hoody with the intention of taking it off for the interview, but completely forgot to.

To my surprise I got the job. I wouldn’t recommend it though.

Royal351

Hello, is anyone else waiting on a response in regard's to the ROC Three Bridges? Job application closed 3 weeks ago and still nothing received on if I have been offered a interview or any feedback. Do they normally take this long to let people know and move the applications forward?
I can tell you they're gonna start interviewing people within the next week or so for that role

brobbo

Newbie here, coming from 10 years of railway on the overheads, i've got an interview at gillingham (EKSC) next week, quite excited for it tbh. anybody from round them parts?

Silver Surfer

Hello, is anyone else waiting on a response in regard's to the ROC Three Bridges? Job application closed 3 weeks ago and still nothing received on if I have been offered a interview or any feedback. Do they normally take this long to let people know and move the applications forward?
Hi buddy, I'm in the same position as you. I take it you did the online assessment part and passed that OK? My last notification was on the 18th of December telling me I'd passed the online assessment and that they would now look at my application and let me know. I thought Xmas would get in the way, so hoping to hear by next week. Best of luck to you

Axepou84

Hi buddy, I'm in the same position as you. I take it you did the online assessment part and passed that OK? My last notification was on the 18th of December telling me I'd passed the online assessment and that they would now look at my application and let me know. I thought Xmas would get in the way, so hoping to hear by next week. Best of luck to you
Hello, yes i passed the online assessment and got an email on the 11th saying would here 2 weeks after the job closing which was the 14th so now been over 3 weeks. Someone on here mention that interviews are due to start next week maybe onwards so I'm not sure weather to take this as successful people have been contacted and were the unlucky ones awaiting feedback?

rdh-eld

Hello, yes i passed the online assessment and got an email on the 11th saying would here 2 weeks after the job closing which was the 14th so now been over 3 weeks. Someone on here mention that interviews are due to start next week maybe onwards so I'm not sure weather to take this as successful people have been contacted and were the unlucky ones awaiting feedback?
I am also awaiting any updates. I have already taken and passed my assessments, I am on the reserve list after a G9 interview from the previous intake but no news on this one. Think it's just a waiting game and we shouldn't worry too much that we haven't heard yet!

Silver Surfer

I'm going to stay positive buddy and wait for a response. I'm sure it will be soon and that Xmas and New Year just got in the way. They are probably an incredibly busy department!

I am also awaiting any updates. I have already taken and passed my assessments, I am on the reserve list after a G9 interview from the previous intake but no news on this one. Think it's just a waiting game and we shouldn't worry too much that we haven't heard yet!
I'm with you buddy. Difficult time of year with holidays etc. Just keeping my fingers crossed for all three of us.

Jordan4321

Was just wondering if anyone could tell me if you are expected in smart or casual smart clothes for your first day?

Iamanoob

Wondering if anyone can shed some info on this. Network Rail are looking for Grade 2 trainee signallers in Ayrshire (according to Indeed) but the description is
"Grade 2 trainee signallers on a permanent contract based in Scotland The Fouldubs signal box manages a freight line. Although it can be quieter than the usual passenger line you will be responsible for safely moving dangerous goods."
After Googling Fouldubs, it aint in Ayrshire (my "Adult" kid stays there) and is in the Grangemouth area (outwith commute time) and when searching for it on the NR jobs site, it isn't even listed.
Can anyone confirm this.

Cheers

Jenny

Assuming you're not safeguarded, yes with RDG Online Leisure Card. Valid on leisure journeys only.
Thank you. Not safeguarded. Potentially joining, still on reserve list. Just want to see what benefits I’d be losing by leaving toc

CoachB

Wondering if anyone can shed some info on this. Network Rail are looking for Grade 2 trainee signallers in Ayrshire (according to Indeed) but the description is
"Grade 2 trainee signallers on a permanent contract based in Scotland The Fouldubs signal box manages a freight line. Although it can be quieter than the usual passenger line you will be responsible for safely moving dangerous goods."
After Googling Fouldubs, it aint in Ayrshire (my "Adult" kid stays there) and is in the Grangemouth area (outwith commute time) and when searching for it on the NR jobs site, it isn't even listed.
Can anyone confirm this.

Cheers
Network rail no longer advertise signaller jobs on their job website. It's been taken over by a recruitment agency now, hence why you can't find it.

I would assume that they are looking for grade 2 trainee signallers in Ayrshire and that the description is wrong. I'm only guessing as I was on the reserve list for Dumfriesshire and got a call before Xmas for an interview followed by being offered a grade 2 trainee role.

If you have any doubts you could contact network rail's recruitment team who could clarify the details for you.

Redmitch

Can anyone confirm this.

Cheers
The Fouldubs box is Grangemouth area, I'm waiting on my start date for that box.

Railrunnerjb

I'm staring my ist in Newport on 15th January so I'll be one week behind you , I'll be more than happy to hear your feedback after you've done week one! Best of luck

Have you had information on where you will be staying?
My course was January 2023. My feedback is pay attention, make revision notes and don't be afraid to query something if it doesn't sit right with you. It's a genuinely difficult course todo but as long as you revise well in advance of tests, you'll be fine.

I stayed in the Mecure Hotel, I enjoyed it but I'm happy to sleep on the floor.

Best of luck to you and if you need any help, just ask.

Equalizer

It's a bit chaotic behind the scenes at NR

Was only told before my start date on the 3rd ( less then 16hrs) that I will have to travel and attend a induction and do e learning and be expected to stay overnight for 2 nights!

Still no confirmation on ist dates also after attending this week.

Last edited:

dave112

It's a bit chaotic behind the scenes at NR

Was only told the before before my start date on the 3rd ( less then 16hrs) that I will have to travel and attend a induction and do e learning and be expected to stay overnight for 2 nights!

Still no confirmation on ist dates also after attending this week.
deffinatly it a bit chaotic recieved an email to contact them for a start date and ist date got excited maybe I'd been ona reserve list,I made contact and no one had a clue what I was on about seems I got it in error.

Equalizer

deffinatly it a bit chaotic recieved an email to contact them for a start date and ist date got excited maybe I'd been ona reserve list,I made contact and no one had a clue what I was on about seems I got it in error.
Sorry to hear and I feel your frustration. Wish I could sound supprised

Axepou84

No mate

Have you done the psychometric testing?

Thank you
Yep passed all that. Was told been successful we will email you 2 weeks after close date to let you know if been offered an interview. This was 4 weeks ago. Portal still showing as Assessment and last email I got was 11th December.