• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

cpn

Does anyone have a more positive outlook on signalling/working at NR? Just to offer some balance.

Quite a few of us on here are about to enter the world of signalling and I think the negativity can be disheartening, but I do appreciate it is all down to personal experience and its not all sunshine and rainbows.
There are plenty of us that absolutely *love* the job, scattered throughout both the Company and this forum. As just one example, I'd refer you to my post (#16023) on page 535 of this thread, but there are countless others.

Best of luck to everyone applying.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Puddock

Ultimately it is a workplace like any other - there are good points and bad points. There are people who love the job and people who hate it and are desperate to leave. On the plus side it is a secure, straightforward, reasonably well paid job that you can leave behind when you walk out of the door at the end of the shift. Personally I have been with NR in front line operational roles, including as a signaller, for more than 20 years and in my opinion it is in the ‘circling the plughole’ phase compared with how things were run for my first decade or so of service. Those who are new to the company and the job may not see it but in my opinion that’s where we are. I like providing a valuable service for passengers and freight but I don’t think we do it very well at all as an organisation.

Signal_Box

Does anyone have a more positive outlook on signalling/working at NR? Just to offer some balance.

Quite a few of us on here are about to enter the world of signalling and I think the negativity can be disheartening, but I do appreciate it is all down to personal experience and its not all sunshine and rainbows.

It’s the reality unfortunately, a lot of good people trying to do a good job with one hand tied behind their backs, with their feet in the fire.

I love my job, the job it’s all the BS that comes with it that makes it unpleasant.

This forum is like Amazon shopping reviews - there’s 100s of signallers who just get on with it, don’t exist on here or post negative or positive reviews. I think in my PSB there’s only 2 out of 40 of us who’ve ever been on RailUK.

Signalling is a job like any job which has its bad days, and it’s true that’s there’s a few things at the moment getting worse - but at the end of the day it’s just a job, and a well paid one at that, and personally one I often really enjoy. If people actually hated it they would probably just leave, rather than post grumpy comments on a forum while bored!

lukewynne

My account says the above and says next step assessment centre. Then I have underneath that LAQ screening feedback that says what I done good and where I can improve but no email or anything to say I was unsuccessful. I'm assuming because of the feedback there going to send me a unsuccessful email at some point? Anyone in similar boat?
had an email today saying they are still working through the applications and to let me know I haven't been forgotten about...

Kraken

As I’ve previously posted I absolutely love this job and, whilst every job has its downsides, the downsides of signalling are for me trivial compared to those of every previous job I’ve had in the 20 years before I started doing this.

Axepou84

Has anyone applied in jan for signaller role got interview already.
I applied for a role in Three Bridges ROC in December, all online tests passed and was waiting on if been successful for an interview. Closing date was 14th December and still nothing, I get 2 weekly emails saying sorry for the delay. Its been 9 weeks and still no interview date or feedback if not successful for interview. So honestly I would forget about it for a while as you wont hear anything for weeks. Its been that long I've managed to secure myself an interview for a TDA role in network rail quicker and faster than the signal process so I've just given up on the signal role to be honest. Its not great to be honest, leaving people hanging on for this long.

Fennel

I applied for a role in Three Bridges ROC in December, all online tests passed and was waiting on if been successful for an interview. Closing date was 14th December and still nothing, I get 2 weekly emails saying sorry for the delay. Its been 9 weeks and still no interview date or feedback if not successful for interview. So honestly I would forget about it for a while as you wont hear anything for weeks. Its been that long I've managed to secure myself an interview for a TDA role in network rail quicker and faster than the signal process so I've just given up on the signal role to be honest. Its not great to be honest, leaving people hanging on for this long.
Thats bad. I have applied for the role of PC but my heart is with signaller. Gonna wait till the end and withdraw my application with police. Lets see all about timing.

Mgees

Hi there, I’ve scoured the last 100 or so pages of the thread but as far as I can tell there have been a few changes to the recruitment process and I wonder if that has changed the nature of the online assessments (the ones you get assigned as soon as you submit) as well? Or would it be the same as always? If anyone could clarify which tests they had to do in a more recent round of recruitment that would be great! Apologies if I have missed something!

High Dyke

Established Member

As you've mentioned, it isn't all "sunshine and rainbows."

There are some that enter the job thinking they know everything, but in reality know very little. Those in the job that just keep their heads down and get on with it. Finally, there's people like me. I take the good days and the bad days. It's kept me employed for 24-years, so it can't be all that bad.

At the end of the day the job is what you make of it. It's about being assertive in dealing with situations. It's about how you interact with colleagues and how you are honest with your own abilities and limitations.

Network Rail aren't always good communicators, and at times you feel like they are pushing the wrong agenda. Like previous employers I've had, to them you are just a number. Local management aren't all that bad. It's the structure higher up the tree that could do better.

CoachB

Same,said they will
Let us know. Sure they can go through the applications as they are coming and let candidates know.
Unfortunately if they did that they would end up telling some people they got an interview then turning around and telling them they don't have an interview as someone's application they just came across scored higher than theirs.

They go through every last one and then shortlist them down to the lucky few that get interviews (as they only interview 3 or 4 people for 1 job)

Given the fact they now advertise their jobs via Indeed and other job sites rather than internally they will potentially have a much larger pool of applications to go through than before which is potentially causing the hold up.

Teuchter

Same,said they will
Let us know. Sure they can go through the applications as they are coming and let candidates know.
Got this email today after asking them why my application was showing withdrawn on the portal.

Attachments

• IMG_2745.jpeg
    IMG_2745.jpeg
    211.7 KB · Views: 104

The Puddock

Unfortunately if they did that they would end up telling some people they got an interview then turning around and telling them they don't have an interview as someone's application they just came across scored higher than theirs.

They go through every last one and then shortlist them down to the lucky few that get interviews (as they only interview 3 or 4 people for 1 job)

Given the fact they now advertise their jobs via Indeed and other job sites rather than internally they will potentially have a much larger pool of applications to go through than before which is potentially causing the hold up.
Also for externally advertised jobs the sifting and shortlisting is done entirely by Ambertrack now, with the NR recruitment team and local management not getting involved with applications at all until the interview stage. That adds a bit of complication to the process and I have heard on the grapevine that it hasn’t been going entirely smoothly so far.

CoachB

Also for externally advertised jobs the sifting and shortlisting is done entirely by Ambertrack now, with the NR recruitment team and local management not getting involved with applications at all until the interview stage. That adds a bit of complication to the process and I have heard on the grapevine that it hasn’t been going entirely smoothly so far.
Doesn't suprise me at all.

I'm currently going through the onboarding process at the moment and communication isn't recruitments strong point, had to chase a few things up so far

Fennel

Got this email today after asking them why my application was showing withdrawn on the portal.
That is bad man. When did you apply and did the assessment. How would
they let someone to apply and attend the assessment if the role was closed. Surely it gets removed from the website. They are mess, I recently noticed the location east midlands for signaller role and underneath it was West Hampstead which is in london ,sent them an email.they replied saying sorry it was error and now have removed.

Teuchter

That is bad man. When did you apply and did the assessment. How would
they let someone to apply and attend the assessment if the role was closed. Surely it gets removed from the website. They are mess, I recently noticed the location east midlands for signaller role and underneath it was West Hampstead which is in london ,sent them an email.they replied saying sorry it was error and now have removed.
Particularly bad considering they’d previously told me there was nothing wrong with the application!
Assessment was in mid-November but not enough interview slots (may have already been underway by the time I chased an update), so applied again in early January. I seem to be talented at slipping through the cracks.

Last edited:

elise84

Can anyone offer any advice, this is the 2nd time ive been offered an interview, first time a year ago and withdrawn my application as didn't think i had enough operational experience to be successful, I'm now back at interview stage again this week Its for the signaller role based out of the signalling centre in Birmingham - I currently work in network operations for national express. Anything that will help me be successful be appreciated

soswales

Hi Elise

Well done on getting another interview, I wish you the best of luck.
Research on the Network Rail website on their safety vision - Everyone home safe every day, life saving rules, safety practices etc - safety is important.
Search online for the non technical skills (NTS) and have some examples for each area - relationship with others, attention management, communication etc. They normally like to find out how you deal with stressful situations and how you remain calm so you may get a question around that.
You'll be absolutely fine! Just research the company, get examples to answer for the interview around the NTS and go and smash it! Good luck :)

Ps, there is a career as a signaller thread on here that has lots of information, I would recommend checking it out.

DC36

Hi.

Sorry if this is intrusive.

Do you mind sharing what working experience you have which helped you get the job?
Network Rail recruits individuals with varied work experience. On my course we had teachers, retail workers, police, RAF, pway. The interview is all about using your experiences and relating them to the non-technical skills

facefullofsnow

Good afternoon. After completing the online tests, I have today been offered a face to face assessment and interview at Manchester ROC for a signaller role. I have been reading through as many of the pages of this thread as possible, but wondered if anyone had any recent experience of what to expect on the day?

The only information I’ve been supplied with is it will consist of a signaller scenario test through a role play activity followed by an interview, but I’ve read recently on here someone only had an interview and no scenario test.

Many thanks all.

Last edited:

deeneyweb

Good afternoon. After completing the online tests, I have today been offered a face to face assessment and interview at Manchester ROC for a signaller role. I have been reading through as many of the pages of this thread as possible, but wondered if anyone had any recent experience of what to expect on the day?

The only information I’ve been supplied with is it will consist of a signaller scenario test through a role play activity followed by an interview, but I’ve read recently on here someone only had an interview and no scenario test.

Many thanks all.
Hi

I had to do an online scenario assessment before my face to face interview in early December. This was all done just being recorded by video responding to the signalling scenario that you were presented with. Bearing in mind they state clearly that no previous signalling experience is require to take the test I assumed that they were looking for a clear explanation of what you would do that always put safety as the priority and answered accordingly.

When it came to the face to face interview I would certainly have a good answer for why you want to be a signaller and like others have said I would definitely think of some situations in your current job where you have dealt with difficult situations either with safety or people. I worked in telephony before so was concerned that I wouldn’t do too well on the safety experience but I had a think about times where I would have to plan so that things wouldn’t go wrong or what I would do if they did go wrong which I felt was a similar principle to acting in a safe manner and following rules that are in place for safety.

I can only assume that this did give them what they needed as I did get offered a role and start in April.

I did get sent various emails explaining the scenario tests and how to interview well. Using the SMART method to answer questions.

Be your self and don’t waffle giving clear answers is key and if you haven’t said what they want to hear then they will help you (to a point) to tease out the points they are after which was also explained to me at the start of the interview.

In my case the interviewers were friendly and professional everything was clearly explained and setup to help you show yourself to the best. Certainly didn’t feel like the were trying to catch me out.

Best of luck

elise84

Hi Elise

Well done on getting another interview, I wish you the best of luck.
Research on the Network Rail website on their safety vision - Everyone home safe every day, life saving rules, safety practices etc - safety is important.
Search online for the non technical skills (NTS) and have some examples for each area - relationship with others, attention management, communication etc. They normally like to find out how you deal with stressful situations and how you remain calm so you may get a question around that.
You'll be absolutely fine! Just research the company, get examples to answer for the interview around the NTS and go and smash it! Good luck :)

Ps, there is a career as a signaller thread on here that has lots of information, I would recommend checking it out.
Thank you soo much,, its been so long since i had an interview have no idea what to expect

Many thanks all.
I have my interview on the 22nd and my scenario test had to be done online by a deadline date

facefullofsnow

Hi

I had to do an online scenario assessment before my face to face interview in early December. This was all done just being recorded by video responding to the signalling scenario that you were presented with. Bearing in mind they state clearly that no previous signalling experience is require to take the test I assumed that they were looking for a clear explanation of what you would do that always put safety as the priority and answered accordingly.

When it came to the face to face interview I would certainly have a good answer for why you want to be a signaller and like others have said I would definitely think of some situations in your current job where you have dealt with difficult situations either with safety or people. I worked in telephony before so was concerned that I wouldn’t do too well on the safety experience but I had a think about times where I would have to plan so that things wouldn’t go wrong or what I would do if they did go wrong which I felt was a similar principle to acting in a safe manner and following rules that are in place for safety.

I can only assume that this did give them what they needed as I did get offered a role and start in April.

I did get sent various emails explaining the scenario tests and how to interview well. Using the SMART method to answer questions.

Be your self and don’t waffle giving clear answers is key and if you haven’t said what they want to hear then they will help you (to a point) to tease out the points they are after which was also explained to me at the start of the interview.

In my case the interviewers were friendly and professional everything was clearly explained and setup to help you show yourself to the best. Certainly didn’t feel like the were trying to catch me out.

Best of luck
Thank you very much that’s a great help, appreciate the reply and congratulations on the new job!

Thank you soo much,, its been so long since i had an interview have no idea what to expect

I have my interview on the 22nd and my scenario test had to be done online by a deadline date
Do you mind me asking what sort of scenarios you were presented with? Good luck with the interview

Thanks

Last edited:

scabre1

Hi,
I've recently been offered a position as a Grade 2 signaller in the Wakefield area. Excited to say the least. Any ideas what the rota is like in that area? 8 hours?? 12 hours etc?
Thanks in advance

JWilliams

Evening all! Just started week 8 of IST.
The course so far has been an experience I have no desire to ever endure again

My question for those who’ve already completed new IST is, how hard is week 10 practical?