• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

paulfur

The tests are the same for all signalling roles. Your results will be held for a year but i think you can retake them after six months. Grade 1 would be a crossing keeper wouldn't it? you won’t be going to signalling school.

Yeah that’s correct was just a crossing keeper. Said on the advert was 100 questions over a period but it was 18x3 sections and it appears I need to brush up on my % and gross profit calculations maths. can you apply for any other roles within the 6 month period (TO for argument sake) as that would be a different test ?
You have to do the seventy questions for each job you apply for. Your three test scores will be carried forwards though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T-Karmel

Yeah that’s correct was just a crossing keeper. Said on the advert was 100 questions over a period but it was 18x3 sections and it appears I need to brush up on my % and gross profit calculations maths. can you apply for any other roles within the 6 month period (TO for argument sake) as that would be a different test ?

Correct, other positions have different tests and you can apply for them but again it would rule you out for 6 or 12 months if you mess them up. Yet with other position, like for example Technicians, there are different benchmarks for different adverts and you might be failed for one application yet be successful on the other one. Again you only do each test once in 12 months and results are carried over to your further applications for the same roles.

paulfur

Thanks for clearing that up for me

Was the first job I’d applied for in 20 years so admittedly I’m out of touch,no interviews anymore and suitability is online tests nowadays haha. Always a lesson learnt though.

7Paul7

Hi everyone, I recently discovered this forum after applying to the future opportunities, and on Friday was very pleased to find out I've been offered a position. I just had a couple of questions...

Firstly, the location I've been given isn't ideal. I can make it work, however I was just wondering from experienced signallers how easy it is to switch locations after you've completed your training? Do you have to do a minimum amount of time at your given location? Does a move have to be approved by your manager? I assume I would have to wait for a position to become available at a more convenient location, and then apply alongside everyone else? Or is there the option just to transfer, so to speak? Literally any information on this would be hugely appreciated
-----snip-------

I came through the York future opportunities starting in May this year, so can't answer second point on the first point my contract stated the box named on the contract was not going to be my base location and I would be required to apply for other boxes whilst at signalling school.

Once I finished signalling school I was placed in a grade 3 box to get an appreciation of the day to day running of a signal box. I moved to a grade 2 box at the start of September and passed out mid September I am being encouraged to apply for different positions however the line is due to close at the start of next year so couldn't stay for 12 months regardless.

Block school is not tough if you put the work in, it's daunting to start with but , as has been said suddenly things start coming together and making sense.

Once youve passed out at your location your LOM (if their worth their salt) will encourage you to progress, keep your nose clean do your job, build experience and you’ll be able to move on. Although I’d suggest forget about moving inside your first two years.

You'll be able access the internal vacancy list, when you see something you fancy apply for it via the business portal. Although you’ll be up against other qualified signallers, you could say it’s harder than an external process as you’ll be assessed on your experience among other things, beware if you apply for job your LOM gets an notification of such.

If you go into school with the right attitude you’ll be fine, it isnt a turn up and pass course the instructors WILL fail you if you don’t put the effort in.

You'll be looking at circa £35,000 on grade 2 pa.

Thank you so much for your reply!

One more little question... as I understand it the schooling part takes 12 weeks? After that I believe it's on the job training in your specific box? How long is this? Is it a standard time? A necessary number of hours? Until they feel you're ready? Or some combination of all three?

I came through the York future opportunities starting in May this year, so can't answer second point on the first point my contract stated the box named on the contract was not going to be my base location and I would be required to apply for other boxes whilst at signalling school.

Once I finished signalling school I was placed in a grade 3 box to get an appreciation of the day to day running of a signal box. I moved to a grade 2 box at the start of September and passed out mid September I am being encouraged to apply for different positions however the line is due to close at the start of next year so couldn't stay for 12 months regardless.

Block school is not tough if you put the work in, it's daunting to start with but , as has been said suddenly things start coming together and making sense.

Thank you so much for replying!

By 'passed out' do you mean you completed your training? Sorry I literally discovered this forum about a week ago and am just trying to catch up on what everything means. If that is the case then you completed your training in five months? What is the average for completion of training? I was informed signaller school was 12 weeks but then wasn't so sure on the process after that? I realise I'm likely asking questions that have been answered a hundred times before but just want to be as informed as I can about what I'm getting myself into haha.

Last edited:

danners430

By 'passed out' do you mean you completed your training?

Aye. Passed out is common railway parlance for completing your training and qualifying as competent for whatever you were training in. Can be quite terrifying when you inadvertently say it to non-railway folk... "I passed out on the shunter today..."

7Paul7

By 'passed out' do you mean you completed your training? Sorry I literally discovered this forum about a week ago and am just trying to catch up on what everything means. If that is the case then you completed your training in five months? What is the average for completion of training? I was informed signaller school was 12 weeks but then wasn't so sure on the process after that? I realise I'm likely asking questions that have been answered a hundred times before but just want to be as informed as I can about what I'm getting myself into haha.

When you finish block school, you then will have a rules test with your LOM if they are happy with your knowledge you will do another test with another knowledgeable person (mine was with my OM) once you've passed this then you can be passed out of your box . This is basically your LOM or another manager observing you working the box and asking you scenarios that could happen whilst on shift. If they are happy you are competent then they will sign you off and you go on the roster for that box.

bouff34

One more little question... as I understand it the schooling part takes 12 weeks? After that I believe it's on the job training in your specific box? How long is this? Is it a standard time? A necessary number of hours? Until they feel you're ready? Or some combination of all three?

Thank you so much for replying!

I think Signal School is now only 10 weeks under the revised course.

The on the job training lasts as long as it takes. An experienced signaller being trained on a new box might do it in a few weeks. Someone straight from signal school might take three times as long. The grade and complexity of the box or panel will also make a big difference to the length of time required. You will have an experienced signaller with you at all times training you. Generally there will not be pressure on you to 'pass out' until you feel you are comfortable - some will get to this stage earlier than others.

'Passed Out' means that you have been judged by your trainer but also more importantly your LOM that you are ready to work on your own (and in a single person box you literally may be on your own for the entire shift).It is at this point that you move from the training salary (one grade lower) to the salary for your grade.

Aye. Passed out is common railway parlance for completing your training and qualifying as competent for whatever you were training in. Can be quite terrifying when you inadvertently say it to non-railway folk... "I passed out on the shunter today..."

Blimey I bet it can! Start telling everyone I've 'passed out' at work probably won't go down well! Thank you

When you finish block school, you then will have a rules test with your LOM if they are happy with your knowledge you will do another test with another knowledgeable person (mine was with my OM) once you've passed this then you can be passed out of your box . This is basically your LOM or another manager observing you working the box and asking you scenarios that could happen whilst on shift. If they are happy you are competent then they will sign you off and you go on the roster for that box.

Thank you so much for the reply. Definitely makes it more understandable!

I think Signal School is now only 10 weeks under the revised course.

The on the job training lasts as long as it takes. An experienced signaller being trained on a new box might do it in a few weeks. Someone straight from signal school might take three times as long. The grade and complexity of the box or panel will also make a big difference to the length of time required. You will have an experienced signaller with you at all times training you. Generally there will not be pressure on you to 'pass out' until you feel you are comfortable - some will get to this stage earlier than others.

'Passed Out' means that you have been judged by your trainer but also more importantly your LOM that you are ready to work on your own (and in a single person box you literally may be on your own for the entire shift).It is at this point that you move from the training salary (one grade lower) to the salary for your grade.

Thank you for the reply, and explaining it all so well. I feel a little better knowing there's not some impending time scale that I have to work within.

Katey89

I’ve just received an email confirming an interview for the crossing keeper job at Lincoln Road, any info on this particular crossing? Tia

pull2g

Hi guys. I have what is on the face of it a daft question but I'm getting concerned...

On applying for positions (bench mark met) I complete 69 Q's as advised on here, I then get an email 'thanking me for completing the questionnaire section' and asking me to ensure that I've submitted 'using the instructions provided'. The email has a 'Notification.....html' attachment that doesn't work.

When I click on the attachment I am directed to a secure gateway where my ID/Password do not work!

I am using the same ID and password that I use for all applications. In due course I get an email conforming 'tests complete' etc. Is this something I should be concerned about, not being able to check submitted correctly?

thanks

NoEyeDeer

Still waiting potentially to get booked in for my medical,

few questions can someone explain what a “type 2” box is?

and is signal boxes generally singal man ?

Got a position in Stonehaven :)

Kraken

Hi guys. I have what is on the face of it a daft question but I'm getting concerned...

On applying for positions (bench mark met) I complete 69 Q's as advised on here, I then get an email 'thanking me for completing the questionnaire section' and asking me to ensure that I've submitted 'using the instructions provided'. The email has a 'Notification.....html' attachment that doesn't work.

When I click on the attachment I am directed to a secure gateway where my ID/Password do not work!

I am using the same ID and password that I use for all applications. In due course I get an email conforming 'tests complete' etc. Is this something I should be concerned about, not being able to check submitted correctly?

thanks

What does it say on the status? If it’s moving to say ‘Test Completed’ as you say then you’re doing alright. I got the exact same email for every application (including the odd HTML) and I wasn’t required to take any further action until the SHL tests came through.
With respect to not benign able to log on - have you tried logging in on a different browser, deleting cookies etc?

craig1992

Hey does anyone know the shift pattern for Immingham? Is it 8hr or 12hr please?
I could be mistaken but based on the box opening times listed as "continuous" on the opening times spreadsheet would lead me to think it will be a 12hr roster. Again I could be completely wrong, im sure someone will correct me if so.

headshot119

Established Member
I could be mistaken but based on the box opening times listed as "continuous" on the opening times spreadsheet would lead me to think it will be a 12hr roster. Again I could be completely wrong, im sure someone will correct me if so.

Just because it's open 24/7 doesn't mean it would be a 12 hour roster.

I genuinely don't know for the Immingham area.

pull2g

What does it say on the status? If it’s moving to say ‘Test Completed’ as you say then you’re doing alright. I got the exact same email for every application (including the odd HTML) and I wasn’t required to take any further action until the SHL tests came through.
With respect to not benign able to log on - have you tried logging in on a different browser, deleting cookies etc?

thanks Kraken.Thats all as I suspected so phew! Yes they turn to test completed in due course.

High Dyke

Established Member
Hey does anyone know the shift pattern for Immingham? Is it 8hr or 12hr please?
It used to be 8 hour shifts, with strange changeover times - like 2am in the morning. I don't know these days though; a former colleague retired from Immingham West a few years ago.

Llanigraham

On Moderation

Lucky you!
My Box assessment was done by the National Signalling Manager. That was daunting!

Pancakes84

I’ve had the amazing news that I’ll be starting signalling school in February :D

just wanted to thank everyone on this thread, it’s been incredibly useful and really helped with my application!

I’ve already been contacted to arrange my medical and unfortunately will have to travel about two hours for this, which is fine, but I just wondered if anyone knows if I should be claiming fuel for that or if it’s just one of them things? Not a problem either way but just not sure what’s normal protocol.

thanks again - super excited to get started now!

Pcoftw

I’ve just received an email confirming an interview for the crossing keeper job at Lincoln Road, any info on this particular crossing? Tia
Hi, how far do you live from the crossing? If you don’t mind me asking... I’ve also received an interview for this place.

bouff34

I’ve had the amazing news that I’ll be starting signalling school in February :D

just wanted to thank everyone on this thread, it’s been incredibly useful and really helped with my application!

I’ve already been contacted to arrange my medical and unfortunately will have to travel about two hours for this, which is fine, but I just wondered if anyone knows if I should be claiming fuel for that or if it’s just one of them things? Not a problem either way but just not sure what’s normal protocol.

I don't think you can claim, I certainly didn't. Effectively it's still part of the assessment process and you wouldn't claim for expenses to get to an interview.

Pancakes84

yeah that’s exactly what I thought but someone else said about me claiming but I did think it would be a bit cheeky.
thanks

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I don't think you can claim, I certainly didn't. Effectively it's still part of the assessment process and you wouldn't claim for expenses to get to an interview.

No chance anyone will have any expenses reimbursed prior to emolument, once your on the inside you’ll have you work related travel paid however.

jmoz

Optima have locations all over the country, give them a call, maybe they can move it closer to you (if that's ok with your HR contact/LOM of course)