• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SalzH

Just been offered a grade 9 Job and IST will start end of February in Milton Keynes. I am honestly over the moon and so grateful for all the advice this forum has given me.
Congratulations and well done! February will soon come round and you'll be at IST before you know it.

y0rkie287

congratulations all, had confirmation of my dates this morning, start on monday 9th then up to york for the IST starting mon 16th jan for 11 weeks, been asked if we want train tickets or drive ourselves up, can't claim parking only the cost of the cheapest tickets, what would others recommend? according to trainline the cheapest return tickets if bought now would be just over £46, parking at the cheapest of the 2 hotels would be £50 plus the cost of fuel, the other would be £75, the LOM says nobody is out of pocket so do they pay a bit for mileage too or is it limited to the cost of the ticket? thank you

y0rkie287

I'd drive given what's going on at the moment... Don't want to be late for your first day!
that's a very good point, even if the train fare is slightly less than the parking i wouldn't be massively out of pocket but would have transport whilst up there to be able to visit family that live about an hour away, not really something i could do if i went via train

KlichBate

congratulations all, had confirmation of my dates this morning, start on monday 9th then up to york for the IST starting mon 16th jan for 11 weeks, been asked if we want train tickets or drive ourselves up, can't claim parking only the cost of the cheapest tickets, what would others recommend? according to trainline the cheapest return tickets if bought now would be just over £46, parking at the cheapest of the 2 hotels would be £50 plus the cost of fuel, the other would be £75, the LOM says nobody is out of pocket so do they pay a bit for mileage too or is it limited to the cost of the ticket? thank you
I think its 30p per mile you can claim and parking at the hotels is included.

JJ14

I think its 30p per mile you can claim and parking at the hotels is included.
Train tickets are paid for by the company from your nearest train station to the training centre no need to drive, they pay for hotels also which I’d recommend staying in as you’ll need to revise with no distractions.
All meals are included you don’t have to spend a penny Sunday-Friday

Kraken

I would definitely drive, the parking in the hotel is paid for by NWR and unless you have some sort of V12 Humvee you’ll actually make money on the mileage rate. I got the train the first few weeks but after spending a freezing December hour waiting for a connection at Doncaster I decided that I’d rather sit in my warm car and arrive actually at the hotel rather than dragging my luggage across town.

y0rkie287

I would definitely drive, the parking in the hotel is paid for by NWR and unless you have some sort of V12 Humvee you’ll actually make money on the mileage rate. I got the train the first few weeks but after spending a freezing December hour waiting for a connection at Doncaster I decided that I’d rather sit in my warm car and arrive actually at the hotel rather than dragging my luggage across town.
Sadly they have said they won't pay parking as it wouldn't be needed if going by train, but like you said it's warmer in the car lol, plus I can venture to see family if I take transport

Anyone else going to York on 16th January?

Kraken

Sadly they have said they won't pay parking as it wouldn't be needed if going by train, but like you said it's warmer in the car lol, plus I can venture to see family if I take transport

Ah that’s a pain. I wonder how much extra it is to park then? Might still be worth it. Which hotel are you in?

Seejwalker

Haven’t read the extent here, so apologies if I’m way off. If you’re starting school and thinking of driving, something to bare in mind. You have book parking at the ROC each day. You can’t just turn up in your car.

At least that how it was when I was there a few years ago.

Coppernob2014

So I’m currently week 8 IST in York. I initially started travelling by train, but the past few weeks I’ve been travelling by car. Car is definitely the best option.
The strikes make it a relatively easy decision, but add to that the mileage rate (30p per mile) and you are given more money in expenses than you pay in petrol.
Parking is a funny one. Network Rail don’t pay and traditional parking charges, such as pay and display car parks. However, if you’re out in the Hilton or Novotel, they have on site car parks that cost £25 per night and that *is* covered by Network Rail. It does depend on availability of course. I think in the past four/five weeks I’ve been driving I’ve paid for parking out of my own pocket maybe twice?
Bloody expensive when I had to but the vast majority of the time I’ve been fine.

Hope this helps!

Also, IST doesn’t have any car parking spaces for IST delegates anymore, so you have to walk from your hotel each morning.

Last edited:

Open_G

Although my start date is also the 9th my IST has been put back to late feb.

Bomber633

Hi Folks,

Does anyone have IST in Birmingham starting 23rd January, if so have you completed your onboarding with staff number etc?

Cheers

B

y0rkie287

Ah that’s a pain. I wonder how much extra it is to park then? Might still be worth it. Which hotel are you in?
LOM has said they normally use the park inn by radisson but have had some bad reports over the menu, the hotel website says parking is £15 per night here, he has asked about booking into the elm bank and their website says parking at £10 per night

Haven’t read the extent here, so apologies if I’m way off. If you’re starting school and thinking of driving, something to bare in mind. You have book parking at the ROC each day. You can’t just turn up in your car.

At least that how it was when I was there a few years ago.
i plan on walking to the IST from the hotel, so as long as i get parked up on the sunday night then it will stay there until friday, i had read about pre booking space at the ROC but it would 100% be my luck to return to a full car park at the hotel

So I’m currently week 8 IST in York. I initially started travelling by train, but the past few weeks I’ve been travelling by car. Car is definitely the best option.
The strikes make it a relatively easy decision, but add to that the mileage rate (30p per mile) and you are given more money in expenses than you pay in petrol.
Parking is a funny one. Network Rail don’t pay and traditional parking charges, such as pay and display car parks. However, if you’re out in the Hilton or Novotel, they have on site car parks that cost £25 per night and that *is* covered by Network Rail. It does depend on availability of course. I think in the past four/five weeks I’ve been driving I’ve paid for parking out of my own pocket maybe twice?
Bloody expensive when I had to but the vast majority of the time I’ve been fine.

Hope this helps!

Also, IST doesn’t have any car parking spaces for IST delegates anymore, so you have to walk from your hotel each morning.
park inn or elm bank are the hotels i have been told about and both have their own limited parking available on site, hopefully it would be paid for then but i'm not holding my breath, will be walking to IST so once parked up the car will be left until friday

how are you finding the course? i am proper nervous about it, not been in a classroom learning environment since school, always find it easier with hands on training rather than books, so it's definitely going to be different for me

Last edited:

Coppernob2014

LOM has said they normally use the park inn by radisson but have had some bad reports over the menu, the hotel website says parking is £15 per night here, he has asked about booking into the elm bank and their website says parking at £10 per night

i plan on walking to the IST from the hotel, so as long as i get parked up on the sunday night then it will stay there until friday, i had read about pre booking space at the ROC but it would 100% be my luck to return to a full car park at the hotel

park inn or elm bank are the hotels i have been told about and both have their own limited parking available on site, hopefully it would be paid for then but i'm not holding my breath, will be walking to IST so once parked up the car will be left until friday

how are you finding the course? i am proper nervous about it, not been in a classroom learning environment since school, always find it easier with hands on training rather than books, so it's definitely going to be different for me
I haven’t stayed in either of those, but I’ve heard from others that whilst the rooms are nice in the Park Inn the food is atrocious and has given people food poisoning.

I won’t lie about the course, it’s easily the hardest course I’ve ever been on by some margin. Including the initial 16 week police training course I’ve been on. It gets very intense, particularly around week six due to the exam and never really lets up. I’ve been getting into the classroom at 0745 each day and sometimes not leaving until 2000. It just demands a lot. It’s a lot of fun and it’s interesting (depending on personal preference of course) and the trainers are mostly fantastic. Just prepare to work bloody hard for 12 weeks!

Hi all,

Will I need a laptop/tablet for IST? Or is everything on paper?

Thanks
You’re given a laptop by the training school buddy. Or at least you are in York.

ChunkyChips

I haven’t stayed in either of those, but I’ve heard from others that whilst the rooms are nice in the Park Inn the food is atrocious and has given people food poisoning.

I won’t lie about the course, it’s easily the hardest course I’ve ever been on by some margin. Including the initial 16 week police training course I’ve been on. It gets very intense, particularly around week six due to the exam and never really lets up. I’ve been getting into the classroom at 0745 each day and sometimes not leaving until 2000. It just demands a lot. It’s a lot of fun and it’s interesting (depending on personal preference of course) and the trainers are mostly fantastic. Just prepare to work bloody hard for 12 weeks!

You’re given a laptop by the training school buddy. Or at least you are in York.
Oh, nice! Saves me bringing mine. Thanks

SalzH

I completely agree with the above, Its a demanding course but a lot of fun. Part of the difficulty comes from the pace at which the course is taught and the sheer volume of information you are required to learn. Like Coppernob said put in the work and you will get through it.

We also got given laptops during the first week of IST.

Seejwalker

If in York, unless it’s changed in the past few years. You can sign laptops out (daily)

For anyone starting, approach the job with respect, work hard and enjoy the process.
Having a desire for knowledge and continually learning needs to be your drive now.

Too many new signallers coming through in the past couple of years with poor knowledge and lack of understanding / care.

Remember, we’re paid for what we know as signallers, so endeavour to know everything.

Last edited:

ChunkyChips

Thanks for the info and advice everyone. It’s been a while since I’ve had to learn anything completely new but I’m ready to put in my best effort

Canonite

Although my start date is also the 9th my IST has been put back to late feb.

I’m the same, 27th Feb for IST. Seems that there’s a few of us on here that may well be in the same class.
I’m really looking forward to it, I love to learn and soak new information up, though I am mindful and under no illusion it’s gonna be a tough 3 months.

I haven’t yet heard from my LOM but the last email just said she’d be in touch closer to the time about my first day.

Officially handed in my resignation yesterday after the final confirmation of pre-employment checks. As I work permanent nights, this gives me a few RD after my last 5 nights on, then a week off to recoup before starting.

Royal351

I’m the same, 27th Feb for IST. Seems that there’s a few of us on here that may well be in the same class.
I’m really looking forward to it, I love to learn and soak new information up, though I am mindful and under no illusion it’s gonna be a tough 3 months.

I haven’t yet heard from my LOM but the last email just said she’d be in touch closer to the time about my first day.

Officially handed in my resignation yesterday after the final confirmation of pre-employment checks. As I work permanent nights, this gives me a few RD after my last 5 nights on, then a week off to recoup before starting.
Crazy that they're pushing loads of ISTs back. My start date was brought forward two weeks and I start my IST about 3 days after my first day. Start my IST in London on Jan 3rd

GeordieO

Congratulations to you! I'm the same start date for IST in York too.
I'm expecting a challenge, but one that will be very exciting and interesting.

Simotrfc

What's this? Is it only at Preston or is this the same for all schools?
No idea mate, id imagine they have a contract. Any group of hotels in the IHG scheme, like the Holiday Inn, you can join a you get the points for your stay there by linking your IST reservation number.

I’ve been Amsterdam and Milan using the points earned so far. Well worth it.

ChunkyChips

No idea mate, id imagine they have a contract. Any group of hotels in the IHG scheme, like the Holiday Inn, you can join a you get the points for your stay there by linking your IST reservation number.

I’ve been Amsterdam and Milan using the points earned so far. Well worth it
That’s a good idea, I’ll definitely try that at the hotel in Bristol. Thanks :)