• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

DC36

Is anybody able to clarify the rules around Sunday working please? I requested a Sunday as leave (as part of a week of annual leave) and was told that Sundays cannot be granted as annual leave and that I'll be put down as Sunday not available. I've now been rostered to work that Sunday and I've been told that they cannot cover it so I've got to work it. I'll add this was a pre-booked holiday from before I joined Network Rail that I informed them about at the time of joining. Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Seejwalker

Is anybody able to clarify the rules around Sunday working please? I requested a Sunday as leave (as part of a week of annual leave) and was told that Sundays cannot be granted as annual leave and that I'll be put down as Sunday not available. I've now been rostered to work that Sunday and I've been told that they cannot cover it so I've got to work it. I'll add this was a pre-booked holiday from before I joined Network Rail that I informed them about at the time of joining. Thanks in advance
what they have done is correct, it’s just a shame that it wasn’t honoured if it had been agreed prior to joining.

All I can say though, is I assume that you have taken this job as it’s higher paying than your previous and will therefore provide a better life for you and yours. I try to remember this when I feel I’ve not had things go my way.

Frothy_B

I've finally had a response for the WMSC jobs and unfortunately not done enough to get one. I've been put in a pool with the high scoring top candidates apparently.

Hopefully some of you guys have had good news, thanks for the help with applications and interview prep!
Sorry to hear that, I'm guessing still heard nothing from Rugby?

At this point I'm assuming I haven't been successful as you'd think they'd contact those as soon as possible. The next course is only 6/7 weeks away which doesn't leave much time for arranging medicals before handing notice in etc. I'm remaining positive that I may still be in a pool though like yourself.

newrecruite

Good news, if it's Basingstoke signal box (ASC) itself (we have a ROC and ASC, the latter controls Basingstoke itself, which is a grade 7), feel free to PM me, as I can give you some more information regarding the roster etc.
Hi :) Depending on passing medical i will be starting at Basingstoke ASC on 21st August 2023 as a grade 7. Then its signalling school in september. I'm looking forward to it. Any info on roster would be much appreciated?

Quintus

I've finally had a response for the WMSC jobs and unfortunately not done enough to get one. I've been put in a pool with the high scoring top candidates apparently.

Hopefully some of you guys have had good news, thanks for the help with applications and interview prep!

Sorry to hear that! It sucks that you had to wait so long too. I've been there... just keep trying!

SignalM0n

Good evening everyone. I threw my hat in the ring for WMSC G6 and I have been successful! I am over the moon, but I understand that the hard work is about to begin.

Thank you all for this wonderful forum and the effort you all put in to help everyone along. It's genuinely brilliant to see (excuse the pun - see below!).

I have regular health checks and I am in good health. I am short sighted and wear specs - it's not a strong prescription but still a little worried about that. Unsure about the state of my hearing - though, if my wife were to appraise it, she'd say I'm deaf!

I haven't been in the classroom for a number of years. I have read in previous posts that note-taking, flashcards and the like can help. Does anyone have any tips for studying effectively? Believe me, you can't be too detailed as far as I'm concerned on pointers, tips, and effective methods for you that I can trial.

I have no railway experience but I have worked in a regulated industry for a number of years. I already know the phonetic alphabet, understand the Safety Vision and have memorised the Life Saving Rules, but is there anything else I should be picking up before IST / outside the classroom?

Thank you all again for all your help. I hope to be in a position to make more of a positive contribution in time (and when I am more competent to do so).

I am sorry to hear this and I know you put in a great deal of effort. However, you might get offered sooner than applying again if for any reason someone cannot/does not join?

Last edited:

The Puddock

Sunday isn't included as part of the working week so you can't take it off as lieu or annual leave. The only booked Sunday you're guaranteed to get off is the one in the middle of your summer fortnight of block leave. Getting any other booked Sunday off is entirely subject to cover.

Welcome to the railway - unfortunately it's not all roses.

Seejwalker

Good evening everyone. I threw my hat in the ring for WMSC G6 and I have been successful! I am over the moon, but I understand that the hard work is about to begin.

Thank you all for this wonderful forum and the effort you all put in to help everyone along. It's genuinely brilliant to see (excuse the pun - see below!).

I have regular health checks and I am in good health. I am short sighted and wear specs - it's not a strong prescription but still a little worried about that. Unsure about the state of my hearing - though, if my wife were to appraise it, she'd say I'm deaf!

I haven't been in the classroom for a number of years. I have read in previous posts that note-taking, flashcards and the like can help. Does anyone have any tips for studying effectively? Believe me, you can't be too detailed as far as I'm concerned on pointers, tips, and effective methods for you that I can trial.

I have no railway experience but I have worked in a regulated industry for a number of years. I already know the phonetic alphabet, understand the Safety Vision and have memorised the Life Saving Rules, but is there anything else I should be picking up before IST / outside the classroom?

Thank you all again for all your help. I hope to be in a position to make more of a positive contribution in time (and when I am more competent to do so).

I am sorry to hear this and I know you put in a great deal of effort. However, you might get offered sooner than applying again if for any reason someone cannot/does not join?
Note taking really isn’t necessary. Everything you learn is in the rule book.
In my opinion. Writing notes and then writing them up neat of an evening is a huge waste of time and effort. It all takes you away from conversation and listening.
The neatest set of notes you’ll ever get will literally be the rule book.

Get your ears professionally cleaned at a private drs. It can make all the difference.

Don’t read to far ahead or try and learn anything more before starting. Just approach it with an open mind and do your best.
There are plenty signallers stealing a wage and bluffing their way along so don’t put too much pressure on yourself haha

gareth386

Is there another signaller who could cover you? Maybe one that signs your box/ workstation but has moved on to somewhere else? Or maybe a MOM?

Lpf93

Very rubbish. Speak to your LOM/people in your box. They might say yes to covering it if they know it’s to help out and your LOM might speak to rosters to try and sort it

gareth386

Does anyone know if you get the higher grade pay, if you haven't been released after 12 weeks, if moving from a signaller role to control? Or is that just for a higher grade signaller role?

dkuli6666

I am surprised by this. Before I joined the company I told them about my holiday (2 week holiday) and they said that because it’s pre booked they would honour it. When the time came they honoured this annual leave without any issues whatsoever, including the Sundays….
I know of others who also had annual leave booked before joining and this was honoured too.
Personally I think they are in the wrong as they must honour it if they already agreed to it. If you’re in the union I would speak to them if you’re unable to get any help from your LOM.
Cheers

DC36

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I've managed to get it sorted so I can have my Sunday off. I wanted to give rosters the opportunity to resolve it before I escalated it to my LOM or the union.

High Dyke

Established Member
I am surprised by this. Before I joined the company I told them about my holiday (2 week holiday) and they said that because it’s pre booked they would honour it. When the time came they honoured this annual leave without any issues whatsoever, including the Sundays….
I know of others who also had annual leave booked before joining and this was honoured too.
Personally I think they are in the wrong as they must honour it if they already agreed to it. If you’re in the union I would speak to them if you’re unable to get any help from your LOM.
Cheers
If you had booked a holiday prior to joining the company, then yes that should be honoured. Management just have to put up with situation. For those already employed it is a bit more difficult. There has never been proper guidance about Sundays before/after leave until now. Information on annual leave should be included into the new National Rostering Principles, due to be introduced in June.

Ds9

Hi all, long time lurker first time poster. I’ve got an interview coming up next week for a grade 2 position at Wickenby. Can anybody tell me about shift patterns and hours there please? Also sorry if this has been asked before but if I’m lucky enough to get as far as IST I was wondering if the course still contains the mandatory Maths and English tests for anyone who isn’t grade C or higher? If so I’ll have to dig around in the loft for my certificates .

StorminNorm

Morning, hoping someone may be able to help....does anyone have any experience in rejoining NR? Unfortunately I left an Operations role after 6 months due to personal reasons.

This was a huge regret. I managed to obtain a few skills prior to leaving. Just interested to see if anyone knows of people rejoining the organisation and how the process went?

Seejwalker

Morning, hoping someone may be able to help....does anyone have any experience in rejoining NR? Unfortunately I left an Operations role after 6 months due to personal reasons.

This was a huge regret. I managed to obtain a few skills prior to leaving. Just interested to see if anyone knows of people rejoining the organisation and how the process went?
I don’t have any experience. But if I was to ever join, I’d try reaching out to an old LOM or something and seeing if they can take you straight to interview.

High Dyke

Established Member
Hi all, long time lurker first time poster. I’ve got an interview coming up next week for a grade 2 position at Wickenby. Can anybody tell me about shift patterns and hours there please? Also sorry if this has been asked before but if I’m lucky enough to get as far as IST I was wondering if the course still contains the mandatory Maths and English tests for anyone who isn’t grade C or higher? If so I’ll have to dig around in the loft for my certificates .
I'll post box information later, when I'm back at work.

Sadly, I can't help about current IST.

Woody27

Hi, if you’re lucky enough to get to IST, you will just be learning the rules of signalling, there are no English or maths tests!

Hi Guys and girls has anyone got any info on wakefield kirkgate signalling centre please.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Royal351

Anyone linked up there IHG account to the hotel booking? Is it simple enough to do?
Oh yeah very simple to do. Create an account first. Then when you get your booking through agitto, get your booking number and add reservation. If you stay there the full 10-11 weeks you get to their platinum elite membership at minimum

UVB76

Good afternoon everybody, long time no post. I see Grade 2 jobs are being advertised in Yorkshire area, but the posted salary is £26485 in training and £29221 once qualified. I thought the rates had changed after the recent pay deal, or can different regions offer different pay rates? Just seems odd for an advert to be posted after the pay deal (ad was posted May 8th) but still have the old salary rates on.

nom de guerre

I wouldn't worry about it. There's no variation in signaller pay between different NR routes. It's either a typo - signaller job adverts are littered with them - or - less likely - was drafted before the pay deal was agreed.

red2512

I've been offered a role at Rugby! Hopefully there are others on here who have been successful too! The feeling of relief is so huge!

Anyone understand what a 60 hour signaller post means on a job vacancy?
It’s a new post that’s been created within a box/roster link, which means the current roster can be rewritten to comply with the 60 hours per week regulations.
For example a 4 person roster becomes a 5 person roster.