• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A day in Ireland - advice please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Temple Meads

Established Member
Evening,

I'm thinking of having a day in the Republic of Ireland in August, I've never been there before, would be there for most of a day, arriving at Dublin at 05:45 off the ferry, then back across the water, from Dublin, in the evening, my main aim will probably be photography, but also wouldn't mind doing some bashing moves if there's anything decent worth doing?

1) What is the current state of loco hauled services, and what is the best value way to bash one? (I understand ticket restrictions are quite harsh)

2) Any good photo spots anyone can recommend, accessible by train? I don't mind a bit of a walk if need be.

3) What are attitudes like towards enthusiasts, am I likely to run into any bother?

4) Anything non-rail worth doing while I'm there?

If there's anything else you think I should know, go ahead..

Many thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hurricanemk1c

1) Loco hauled services are on the Dublin Heuston - Cork (most services but not all) and Dublin Connolly - Belfast (all as long as they don't fail!). Ticket restrictions are quite tight but either Portlaoise or Drogheda would be alright. I would say Portlaoise (no bias as I live there!), as the Cork service is hourly and you can get two loco hauled services with only a 20 minute wait. Doing something like the 13:00 Heuston - Cork and 12:20 Cork - Heuston would be pratical for just under €20

Also, get a Leap card for the day (between Dublin and Balbriggan, Kilcoole, Sallins and Kilcock). Can get it at Irish Rail ticket machines (€5 with a minimum of €5 top up, although get €10 as that covers you for the day)

2) Plenty of good spots around the place. Sallins is quite nice for a shot, especially crossing the river, as is Stacumny Bridge (although a very long walk!). Bray-Greystones is an unusual spot, looking down on the line. There should also be tram testing on the Cross City line. Have a flick through https://www.flickr.com/photos/hurricanemk1c/ and I can assist in locations

3) Shouldn't be an issue. Most accept enthusiasts, a good few engage with you but there's always that one or two that aren't happy generally!

5) Dublin is a decent sized city!

Kieran

duesselmartin

Established Member
take a DART to Greystones from Dublin Conolly. While Greystones is in itself a charming small town, the line is stunning. On the way back you can walk along the "cliff walk" to Bray above the rail line. Although that might be a bit much for just one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.