• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A HST to be used in Mexico?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatTrainGuy27

Moderator note: Split from
Why on earth are they going to Mexico?

i'm not sure but class 91 is being transferred to mainland Europe for freight operations.
Europhoenix earmarks '91s' for European freight use

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

aem7ac

The HST has indeed arrived in Coatzacoalcos, Veracruz, Mexico. These pictures at the port were posted to the forum MEXLIST.43022.jpegemrintercity.jpeghstcoat.jpegmk3coat.jpeg

This article now claims they are actually for the Tren Interoceánico yet again, as opposed to the Tren Maya as said by the powerpoint slides that appear to be issued by official authorities. I guess time will only tell where they truly will end up.
However, more interesting to me is the claim that the HST will be used by the President of Mexico on an inspection tour of the line on 17 September. Seems extremely optimistic... if true, maybe drivers will have to be hired in from the UK.
One thing is for certain, though: there's HST equipment in Mexico now.

2 photos of a freshly painted 43 (and apparently a freshly painted mk3 behind it)freshpaint.jpegfreshpaint2.jpeg

Last edited:

HST2FIT

The HST has indeed arrived in Coatzacoalcos, Veracruz, Mexico. These pictures at the port were posted to the forum MEXLIST.View attachment 142555View attachment 142556View attachment 142557View attachment 142558

This article now claims they are actually for the Tren Interoceánico yet again, as opposed to the Tren Maya as said by the powerpoint slides that appear to be issued by official authorities. I guess time will only tell where they truly will end up.
However, more interesting to me is the claim that the HST will be used by the President of Mexico on an inspection tour of the line on 17 September. Seems extremely optimistic... if true, maybe drivers will have to be hired in from the UK.
One thing is for certain, though: there's HST equipment in Mexico now.

2 photos of a freshly painted 43 (and apparently a freshly painted mk3 behind it)View attachment 143099View attachment 143100
Hi AEM7AC,
I can confirm, those are intended to be used with the FIT (as you can see the livery).

The presidential ride was on the ex-UP4378 with cars from USA also.
Beside those a former Touristic train of Puebla (state of Mexico) will join the fleet.

I will attach some pictures (I found on the internet).

I'm intrigued,
So you're saying that any former driver of SD40 is not going to be able to get the hang of it?

Cheers!
FB_IMG_1694982291017.jpg
The SD70 (left) and the Spanish-made light rail (right) on Oaxaca with the FIT livery. Note they're not in service yet

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1694982298449.jpg
    FB_IMG_1694982298449.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 76

On Moderation
There is an experienced HST engineer and driver instructor from the UK over in Mexico currently.

aem7ac

There is an experienced HST engineer and driver instructor from the UK over in Mexico currently.
I learned this from your post on MEXLIST :D that was before I posted that part though if I recall correctly.

Hi AEM7AC,
I can confirm, those are intended to be used with the FIT (as you can see the livery).

The presidential ride was on the ex-UP4378 with cars from USA also.
Beside those a former Touristic train of Puebla (state of Mexico) will join the fleet.

I will attach some pictures (I found on the internet).

I'm intrigued,
So you're saying that any former driver of SD40 is not going to be able to get the hang of it?

Cheers!
View attachment 143170
The SD70 (left) and the Spanish-made light rail (right) on Oaxaca with the FIT livery. Note they're not in service yet
I'm pretty sure it won't be exactly as easy as an SD40. I doubt there has been much modification from the UK systems... so the more left-hand oriented equipment on a right-hand running network could be difficult. I think they'll figure it out though.

HST2FIT

I learned this from your post on MEXLIST :D that was before I posted that part though if I recall correctly.

I'm pretty sure it won't be exactly as easy as an SD40. I doubt there has been much modification from the UK systems... so the more left-hand oriented equipment on a right-hand running network could be difficult. I think they'll figure it out though.
Would you please share the Mexlist link about the training?
Thanks

On Moderation
Would you please share the Mexlist link about the training?
Thanks
It’s on the MEXLIST groups.io group. It won’t tell you much more than what I posted above.

Both 43022 and 43170 are now up and running.

Last edited:

HST2FIT

It’s on the MEXLIST groups.io group. It won’t tell you much more than what I posted above.

Thank you,
I watched a video of both, they weren't moving just with their engines turned on.
The power cars had their front hatches open and I could see some sort of a tow bar attaching both

Anybody knows where I can find open-access PDF technical information about driving and maintenance of the class 43??
Thanks

On Moderation
Thank you,
I watched a video of both, they weren't moving just with their engines turned on.
The power cars had their front hatches open and I could see some sort of a tow bar attaching both
43022 has moved under its own power - it went to the port to collect 43170.
Anybody knows where I can find open-access PDF technical information about driving and maintenance of the class 43??
Thanks
It's not free, but I would highly recommend this book: https://haynes.com/en-gb/inter-city-125-manual

It includes technical details together with maintenance and driving information.

HST2FIT

They have been conducting tests on the

On the yard.
I can't tell the power car numbers, it's a shame the didn't conserve those as they did with the ex-Union Pacific ones

HST2FIT

Power cars are 43022 and 43170.
I don't know your sources but a few days ago, someone shared 2 videos (presumably both) taken the same day.
On the first, the train above freshly painted appears.
And on the second video, the 43022 is coupled to at least four LNER coaches.

Here's a screen capture of the second video,

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230924-150659~2.png
    Screenshot_20230924-150659~2.png
    211.3 KB · Views: 126

aem7ac

I don't know your sources but a few days ago, someone shared 2 videos (presumably both) taken the same day.
On the first, the train above freshly painted appears.
And on the second video, the 43022 is coupled to at least four LNER coaches.

Here's a screen capture of the second video,
It's strange - it looks like there are more power cars than the 43022 and 43170 from what I've seen. At least 2 painted ones... and they shipped 3, I know. However at some points it doesn't line up and almost seems like there could be 4 or more - I'm not sure. Interesting they haven't numbered these - not following AAR convention, however this likely won't matter as they are captive to this corridor.

On Moderation
It's strange - it looks like there are more power cars than the 43022 and 43170 from what I've seen. At least 2 painted ones... and they shipped 3, I know. However at some points it doesn't line up and almost seems like there could be 4 or more - I'm not sure. Interesting they haven't numbered these - not following AAR convention, however this likely won't matter as they are captive to this corridor.
There are three power cars and 11 trailers there currently. Power cars are 43022/158/170 of which the first and last have been repainted. That is categorically, definitely the case.

aem7ac

There are three power cars and 11 trailers there currently. Power cars are 43022/158/170 of which the first and last have been repainted. That is categorically, definitely the case.
Yes, I understand that.
The documentation is just getting confusing at this point as nothing is numbered after repainting.

aem7ac

Maybe somebody needs to graffiti some numbers on?
Knowing how it's been there a spraycan certainly will do!
All things aside though - the new paint looks pretty sharp on it if I do say so myself.
Anyone know if any more sets have been moved within the UK for export?

On Moderation
I'm about to find out the former numbers of the painted locos.
I will try have a closer look at their nameplates.
I’ve already given the number:

HST2FIT

I’ve already given the number:
Thanks,
The training is still going at the local yard.
(Using the 43022&43170).
The 43158 is storaged
The nameplates were, sadly, scraped off in England, though it would be nice to preserve those as well, as they preserved the Brush traction plates.
And the same numbers will be painted back on each loco soon.

AdamWW

Established Member
Thanks,
The training is still going at the local yard.
(Using the 43022&43170).
The 43158 is storaged
The nameplates were, sadly, scraped off in England, though it would be nice to preserve those as well, as they preserved the Brush traction plates.
And the same numbers will be painted back on each loco soon.

Unusually long numbers by North American standards if you consider these to be locomotives.

HST2FIT

Anymore pictures or videos?
This is one of the best I've found on fb.
Remember they're not operational yet because their new drivers are still in training

Class 43 training.png
The English instructor inspects the way ahead minutes before another day of training is over

PudseyBearHST

Thanks both, please continue to share latest pictures or videos as I’m sure it’s not just me who’s interested to see how they are progressing

aem7ac

A video was posted on Facebook today by the page "Ferroaficion del Sureste Mexicano". Cannot provide link right now. The train has been dubbed "La Tehuanita Inglesa" by locals apparently. The two painted 43s have received AAR numbering, along with white warning stripes on the front over some plain blue areas. The 43s are now numbered in the 3000-series, apparently. It is making a test run from Coatzacoalcos to Salina Cruz in a 2+4 formation.

HST2FIT

A video was posted on Facebook today by the page "Ferroaficion del Sureste Mexicano". Cannot provide link right now. The train has been dubbed "La Tehuanita Inglesa" by locals apparently. The two painted 43s have received AAR numbering, along with white warning stripes on the front over some plain blue areas. The 43s are now numbered in the 3000-series, apparently. It is making a test run from Coatzacoalcos to Salina Cruz in a 2+4 formation.
Got news,
Manuel MG got the credits for the video.

The 43022 and the 43170 (presumably) arriving at Ixtepec after at least 250 km journey (almost coast to coast)

Is there something wrong with the horn?

Is that the way it got used back in Britain?

Screenshot_20231010-222359~2.png
I see the only 2 lights on at the front instead of 3

Screenshot_20231010-222623~2.png
I don't see the red tail lights at the back

Here's the video link

I found the other pictures on fb

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1696996614072.jpg
    FB_IMG_1696996614072.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 78
  • FB_IMG_1696996511776.jpg
    FB_IMG_1696996511776.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member

Are these the power cars in the video I have seen this morning, repainted and operational?
Do you know which is which in respect of their new Mexican FIT numbers please?

Status
Not open for further replies.