• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A poor experience travelling over the Pennines (21/05)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was travelling back to York today and as my train approached Stockport, I had a look at how trains were running from Manchester to York.

It didn't look good, so I looked at Stockport towards Sheffield, and that looked diabolical, with a huge gap in service.

On arrival at Piccadilly at 2008, there was no obvious sign of what passengers heading towards Huddersfield & beyond should do, so I asked staff and got a variety of different answers. One member of staff even used Trainline as his source of information. A member of TPE staff assured me the 2121 would run, but I may be better off going to Victoria. There didn't seem to be anything official stating this advice though.

I decided to go to Victoria, from where I caught the 2037 to Leeds; although the front of the train was crowded, to my surprise there were hardly any seats taken in the rear (4th) coach.

When I got to Leeds, there was no indication as to whether the first train to York would be the delayed 2214 (expected at 2230) from platform 16 or the 2229 Northern stopper from platform 8. Several passengers were wondering which train to go to. Platform 16 looked crowded but I was thinking I may still go there anyway as it looked likely to go first.

The decision was then taken to put a Sheffield stopper into platform 16, and I realised this would further delay the TPE, which had no sign of a platform alteration. I hung around on the bridge for a while and then went for the 2129, which I note had TRTS (train ready to start) button pressed long before the booked departure time; a green light was eventually given at 2130 and until that point I was ready to leap out for the TPE. Several people boarded at the last minute as they realised it was the best train for York. Some were panting as if they'd done a marathon and were very unhappy with the lack of information.

In the end I had clearly made the right choice; the train was crowded at the front but not so busy in the rear coach and after Cross Gates had a table to myself. Relatively few passengers alighted at the local West Yorkshire stops; this would have been very different years ago but I suspect many of those passengers have abandoned rail due to the poor service. Loads got off at York; clearly many of these had boarded at Leeds and would normally have got TPE.

The TPE pulled into platform 9 as I approached the underpass and I saw it was crush loaded. I was glad I wasn't on it from Leeds, let alone all the way from Manchester.

Overall the rail industry gave me the impression of one where their customers are absolutely taken for granted and you need to be "in the know" to avoid a terrible experience.

The only positive thing was the last train to Newcastle was actually held at York to avoid a missed connection for many people; large numbers of passengers transferred onto it. I shouldn't be surprised at this, but my expectations have been lowered so much that I almost was.

When I read or hear people suggest the rail industry can rely on passengers being loyal and that people are happy with the service and there is nothing to worry about, I know that what I am reading is quite wide of the mark; yes I will continue to use it as I've chosen not to buy a car and I know how to get fares down to affordable levels etc, but many others will abandon rail if the current poor service continues or gets even worse.

Everyone in the rail industry ought to be pulling out all the stops to give passengers a better experience, but I have zero confidence that this will actually happen.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ash39

Established Member
I'm not even sure the LNER was held intentionally! I was on it from Kings Cross to York and I think the 11 minute delay was due to unruly Sunderland fans travelling back from Wembley. Certainly police met the train when it arrived.

Have to say in my coach it was mostly well behaved and civilised, if a little irritating. Looked like the rowdiness was towards the front of the train.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Good gravy that cannot have been fun. My worst experiences recently were a rather full 150 from Crewe to Hereford, which while it emptied out a bit at Shrewsbury saw a less than pleasant family join including a young lad vaping away regularly to Craven Arms.

The other also featured TfW, this time with my intended train cancelled last minute due to over-running engineering works on Sunday just gone. I ended up cycling to my destination, getting the train back later on. If it had been cancelled when I'd looked up the train times not that long before booking tickets, I'd have not got the train at all but I had relied on the railway to actually run when it says it's going to run!

Compared to the experiences already shared in this thread, mine aren't too bad. I have had other unpleasant experiences this year, and they have been detailed in my trip report thread. Almost every time I rely on the railway in the last few months, it lets me down. Small wonder I've nearly given up using it, and I absolutely don't use it these days for anything more than an A-B journey!

Kilopylae

Good gravy that cannot have been fun. My worst experiences recently were a rather full 150 from Crewe to Hereford, which while it emptied out a bit at Shrewsbury saw a less than pleasant family join including a young lad vaping away regularly to Craven Arms.

The other also featured TfW, this time with my intended train cancelled last minute due to over-running engineering works on Sunday just gone. I ended up cycling to my destination, getting the train back later on. If it had been cancelled when I'd looked up the train times not that long before booking tickets, I'd have not got the train at all but I had relied on the railway to actually run when it says it's going to run!
TfW have also provided my worst rail experience, which involved being made to wait at Hereford for six hours (yes, six), with those of us with Advance tickets not being allowed to leave the station to find food or drink, and further waits at Abergavenny for 30 minutes and Newport for three hours, including being made to stand outside when waiting for a taxi because the station was closing. The long waits were accompanied by a quicksand of constantly shifting information and contradictory advice, as well as (understandable but still pretty unprofessional) staff rudeness.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
TfW have also provided my worst rail experience, which involved being made to wait at Hereford for six hours (yes, six), with those of us with Advance tickets not being allowed to leave the station to find food or drink, and further waits at Abergavenny for 30 minutes and Newport for three hours, including being made to stand outside when waiting for a taxi because the station was closing. The long waits were accompanied by a quicksand of constantly shifting information and contradictory advice, as well as (understandable but still pretty unprofessional) staff rudeness.

That is unheard of in Hereford, the barrier staff are usually really good for that kind of thing, letting people pop out for a cigarette or popping to Morrisons etc. Something went more than a bit wrong there!

Kilopylae

That is unheard of in Hereford, the barrier staff are usually really good for that kind of thing, letting people pop out for a cigarette or popping to Morrisons etc. Something went more than a bit wrong there!
Officially, buses/coaches were supposed to be turning up, but they never showed. I think this was in 2018 but it might have been 2019.

I'm relieved to hear that they aren't usually so inflexible!

Starmill

Veteran Member
Officially, buses/coaches were supposed to be turning up, but they never showed. I think this was in 2018 but it might have been 2019.

I'm relieved to hear that they aren't usually so inflexible!
It's very surprising to hear that there was an issue with the gateline when there are long delays. The staff have no authority to insist that you wait for your train within the gated area, and you're quite permitted to wait outside it if you want to. You also cannot be refused re-entry to the station or through the ticket gates exclusively for the reason that you had entered previously using the same ticket. It would be obvious to all concerned that your tickets had not yet been used as a result of the delay to your departure surely.

Status
Not open for further replies.