• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A potential pay per mile fee to replace road tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
And has immeasurable mental health benefits from being outside and getting fresh air
Crickey don't tell our masters that - They will be slapping VAT on that benefit !.
Total road expenditure in England is about 8.5 billion , and 40 million cars in the UK in the UK, if that scales with England's share of the population (80%), that gives you 32 million in England giving you about £265 of spending per car. The article you remember was probably talking about America.

If income MUST come from the same source, what happens if public transport takes up a higher share as result of EV's generally being more expensive , would you keep the same insistence of not raising any taxes elsewhere, or do any money printing, and start increasing the tax on people's bus and train tickets?
This is the elephant in the room. Basically if the taxes are used to fund something that replaces the tax generator then that tax cannot become too successful at changing behaviour !. It a bit like tax on cigarettes - if everyone stopped smoking how much would the NHS lose in funding ? - allthough in that case the lack of smokers and therefore smokers' diseases might actually be a cost benefit to the NHS.
The local authorities spent about £2bn on roads maintenance this is dwarfed by taxes raised from motorists.

Here are the transport spending figures for the last five years.
4.5 Transport32,70134,42049,38744,68543,578
of which: national roads4,8205,5746,1535,4385,660
of which: local roads5,3045,6196,7975,8675,468
of which: local public transport2,4842,4037,1994,9834,344
of which: railway18,22618,28527,05225,86225,942
of which: other transport1,8672,5392,1852,5362,163
Source: Public Expenditure Statistical Analyses 2023 https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/public-expenditure-statistical-analyses-2023

Vehicle Excise Duty and Fuel Duty run at about £35bn a year not to mention the other taxes motorists pay such as VAT and Insurance premium tax. So your assertion that motorists aren't paying their way doesn't stand up.
Thanks for those figures. The amount the railways get spent on them is over 50% of the total and nearly five times that spent on road - Ouch !.
Thanks for those figures. However, these are direct expenditure and my point was about the externalities of health, policing, environmental damage etc. I have no idea how much these are but I don't think we can just ignore them.

That would be an absolute disaster. Motoring would get cheaper so it would increase, subsidised by everyone whether they drove or not. Either the increase in motoring would be choked off by congestion, affecting bus services, emergency vehicles and those that have to drive, or the government would end up spending a lot more building more roads in an attempt (almost certainly unsuccesssful) to cater for it.
The need to use a car has to be reduced, we have become far to used to it as a convenience. I walk a lot of journeys (local shops) more than people I know. Many of them drive a very short distance and then illegally park - I am talking less than a mile.
Tax regimes are more than just gathering revenue for running the country, - they can and are used to modify behaviour of the population. With increasing demand on the road system, just building more is not a solution, so tax will, I believe become a 'nudge' tool to encourage more active travel and use of public transport. In my opinion, revenue from private car use should appropriately be applied to improve public transport and support for active travel.
I agree, tax has to be used not just as a fund raiser but as a tool to target unwise behaviour. Although how you tackle knife crime is outwith the capability of tax unless we tax knives very very heavily. Brainstorming but if the tax were high enough each knife could have a transponder in it, an id photo taken and records kept - if the tax were high enough.
Well if we take £48bn as the full that means roads are getting the same level as subsidy as rail then. The other element that seems to be being ignored in this talk of externalities is the amount of economic activity that is enabled by road transport. Surely that far out ways any cost.
Economic activity is probably king. Our way of life (prosperity) relies on growth in economic activity which relies on a growth in population. Trouble is the planet is not getting any bigger. We have to be smarter in how we use our resources including space - well they are not actually ours !. Town planning has to take a more responsible attitude. We are swallowing up agricultural areas for activities that dictate more vehicles while letting our town centres decay even though these are the hubs for public transport.
That's not as effective, though, because your rural dweller can come into town and drive with impunity.

My preferred options, a parking tax (so abolition of all free urban parking), an urban driving tax or road pricing, mean a rural driver is encouraged to park up at a suitable location and continue their journey by public transport (i.e. railheading or park and ride). People already do this in London because (a) parking costs a fortune, (b) driving is grim and (c) there's a congestion charge, so this proves the efficacy of this approach.

Road pricing is probably the fairest of the three, because an urban dweller who only uses their car to go out of town to a rural location won't pay much, whereas with parking taxation or blunt instruments like zonal congestion charges they get whacked regardless of what they do that day.
I hope not a parking tax on the parking outside the owners house. I had to give Croydon council over £300 per year to park in my road. My car is not the greenest but I use it very little so why should I be punished for not using it ?. I now avoid the residents parking charge by parking about a mile away. So lots of short journeys to my house to load up or unload after 17:00. The result is more usage of my car while the engine is still cold !.

So I agree the tax has to be on the actual use and how much use.
In very rural areas, the car (ideally EV) is the most cost-effective and least damaging mode of transport. Running diesel buses around with two people on them is worse on just about every measure.

That can be managed other ways such as via planning law. But if you've got a lot of people driving in from rural surrounds to e.g. a supermarket, the outskirts IS the best place for it.
It is true the public transport has to be reasonably well used. How long should we oversubsidise a route/mode to see if demand picks up. Carrot vs stick I suppose.

And YES planning law.
I do like your parking charges idea. It would need the least new infrastructure, wouldn't exempt old cars , wouldn't double tax people who still pay fuel duty and gives the city itself the final say. I still don't want it to be used as a 1 for 1 replacement for fuel duty tax, you'd be creating a peverse incentive for the government where increasing public transport use , even on profitable routes, would be decreasing it's revenue

This question is hard to answer, which is why I think devolving the question to district or borough councils is the best idea, with the way political leanings are between cities, towns and the countryside, you'd get the same result as if Westminster road priced based on population density anyway
I would not devolve it. We need a consistent policy across the whole of the UK otherwise drivers will have to know about every charge they might encounter in every area they might pass through. Their car might be ULEZ exempt in one area but not exempt in another. Too many different rules. So a journey from London to Leeds via a few places could result in having to set up accounts for, log into and pay for quite a few different bodies. Croydon, London, Dartford Crossing, Motorways, Leeds and maybe a part of Leeds for parking. Lets keep it standard across the whole of the UK.
First of all, tax isn't the only way to fund expenses. I hate to sound like a MMTer , but their is numerous ways to sort out the financial issues. You can print more money, borrow , kick up taxes elsewhere or cut spending else where, all of these have different trade offs , but it's not non-negotiable every tax is replaced 1 for 1.

I support localized schemes, what I don't think is a good idea some Westminster impose national scheme which I think will be clumsy and expensive to implement, nor that its non negotiable that all the revenue that previously came from fuel duty must be taken from electric drivers, and other methods of funding cant be used.

I know what I'll say on here doesn't matter, what you says doesn't either but this is a discussion forum and people will discuss things
My bold - sades og majic money tree there !.

Local schemes mean someone passing through having to have local knowledge. Too complicated and results in it being easier and less risk for someone to remove their number plates. ANPR cameras don't chase you.
That ignores the behaviour modification issue mentioned in the post you quoted. Less tax on driving means more driving, unless something else is done to discourage it, and it still has many adverse consequences even if the vehicles in question are now electric (another one nobody has mentioned is the need to invest in more electric generation and transmission). There's a risk of more traffic anyway even if the tax take EVs is identical to that on IC vehicles, because EVs, once purchased, are cheaper to run.

Autonomous driving, if it happens, throws another factor into the mix. People could instruct their cars to drop them off in the city then continue empty to some free or cheap parking location before returning to pick them up. To some extent that defeats any attempt to replace fuel tax revenue with parking charges, as well as providing another reason why congestion increases in urban areas.
It is a lot more electricity generation. Sadly the advantage of ICE is all the energy stored up in peoples cars ready for use. ICE tends to put a more immediate cum just-in-time pressure on the energy supply infrastructure as generally overnight charging starting in the evening peak. This is why I would like Hydrogen Fuel to succeed but it is not practical (yet).

Autonomous driving, you make me think - well that could make it cheaper to jump out of the car and let it go round the block in circles while one pops into the local corner shop. So there could be a lot more traffic if parking is too expensive !.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

slowroad

IFS reckon overall road taxes raise about £40bn…..

edwin_m

Veteran Member
This is the elephant in the room. Basically if the taxes are used to fund something that replaces the tax generator then that tax cannot become too successful at changing behaviour !. It a bit like tax on cigarettes - if everyone stopped smoking how much would the NHS lose in funding ? - allthough in that case the lack of smokers and therefore smokers' diseases might actually be a cost benefit to the NHS.
Perhaps not all, but certainly a large part of the taxes on road use go towards either maintaining the roads or dealing with the externalities. Hence, if road vehicle use went down, then the costs notionally paid for by those taxes would also reduce. This is probably also true of cigarettes and alcohol, to some degree at least.

stuu

Established Member
I hope not a parking tax on the parking outside the owners house. I had to give Croydon council over £300 per year to park in my road. My car is not the greenest but I use it very little so why should I be punished for not using it ?. I now avoid the residents parking charge by parking about a mile away. So lots of short journeys to my house to load up or unload after 17:00. The result is more usage of my car while the engine is still cold !.

It's a bizarre sense of entitlement which only happens with cars (I'm just as bad, I hate paying to park too). We wouldn't expect to keep a sofa somewhere for free but somehow we expect the world to provide free land for our vehicles

Lancs

There's already a perfectly functioning system, that just hasn't been used for this purpose yet. Digital tachographs - as per HGV and coach drivers.

Pay per minute of driving. 6 miles in the country should take ~8-10 minutes. 6 miles in London takes a lot longer.

This technology already exists at DVLA. We just need some form of reader, to get total driving hours for the person every-so-often. These already exist.

A bit like report your own utility readings, or take the estimate....

Lancs

Possible to catch speeding but not aggression. Thus per mile but based on where/what time of day is a better idea.
Better idea, but implementable? Digi tacho already exists and has been accepted, expanding its use is easier than many other answers...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Better idea, but implementable? Digi tacho already exists and has been accepted, expanding its use is easier than many other answers...

Fundamentally anything that encourages faster and aggressive driving to keep costs down is totally
unacceptable. Thus charging per minute cannot be an option.

Lancs

Fundamentally anything that encourages faster and aggressive driving to keep costs down is totally
Unless coupled with automatic speed fines.... anything more than 1.17 miles per minute is obviously illegal!

tomuk

Established Member
Would charging per minute or by any other quanta of time really encourage faster and aggressive driving? There enough aggressive drivers out there already.

Ediswan

Established Member
Not to mention lengthy police road closures. Extra charges for something outside of the drivers control.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Unless coupled with automatic speed fines.... anything more than 1.17 miles per minute is obviously illegal!

As I said that wouldn't do anything about people driving aggressively but within the limit.

It's simply a non starter to charge by the minute.

Would charging per minute or by any other quanta of time really encourage faster and aggressive driving? There enough aggressive drivers out there already.

Yes, it absolutely would. It would make those people even worse, too, with more dangerous overtakes etc.

Not to mention lengthy police road closures. Extra charges for something outside of the drivers control.

That too. It's just not a viable idea. Driving to the clock just isn't something people should be doing - even overly tight bus timetables are bad enough, and those are professional drivers.

tomuk

Established Member
As I said that wouldn't do anything about people driving aggressively but within the limit.

It's simply a non starter to charge by the minute.

Yes, it absolutely would. It would make those people even worse, too, with more dangerous overtakes etc.

That too. It's just not a viable idea. Driving to the clock just isn't something people should be doing - even overly tight bus timetables are bad enough, and those are professional drivers.
In your opinion it is a non starter and in your opinion at would make aggressive drivers worse. Are train drivers or bus divers dangerous because their driving to a timetable? All the lorry drivers out there on tachos are they a danger too? Or are the non tacho van delivery drivers worse?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In your opinion it is a non starter and in your opinion at would make aggressive drivers worse. Are train drivers or bus divers dangerous because their driving to a timetable?

I have seen more than a little bit of dangerous driving from bus drivers driving to a too tight timetable, yes. The group of related small bus companies based in Aylesbury are notorious for it.

Couriers are another example of people who drive and park dangerously due to being time pressured.

All the lorry drivers out there on tachos are they a danger too?

Lorry drivers are not particularly time pressured in the same way, but I certainly see plenty of inconsiderate or downright dangerous driving from them, yes. In particular, a lorry driver complying to a smart motorway 50 is near enough unknown, they just run on the limiter and zoom past cars, often on the inside. And yes, I know car speedos over-read, I drive to the speed readout on the satnav which is accurate.

Or are the non tacho van delivery drivers worse?

About the worst drivers in the country are delivery vans and private hire cars. All driving to the clock, either directly or due to financial motivation, which this nonsensical idea would provide in droves.

tomuk

Established Member
I have seen more than a little bit of dangerous driving from bus drivers driving to a too tight timetable, yes. The group of related small bus companies based in Aylesbury are notorious for it.

Couriers are another example of people who drive and park dangerously due to being time pressured.

Lorry drivers are not particularly time pressured in the same way, but I certainly see plenty of inconsiderate or downright dangerous driving from them, yes. In particular, a lorry driver complying to a smart motorway 50 is near enough unknown, they just run on the limiter and zoom past cars, often on the inside. And yes, I know car speedos over-read, I drive to the speed readout on the satnav which is accurate.

About the worst drivers in the country are delivery vans and private hire cars. All driving to the clock, either directly or due to financial motivation, which this nonsensical idea would provide in droves.
Yes but the other poster proposed expanding digital tachos, the main users of which, lorry drivers, you described as not particularly time pressured so what is the problem?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes but the other poster proposed expanding digital tachos, the main users of which, lorry drivers, you described as not particularly time pressured so what is the problem?

Because they are proposing using them to implement a per minute road use charge, which is, unlike their present use, the literal definition of time pressure.

tomuk

Established Member
Because they are proposing using them to implement a per minute road use charge, which is, unlike their present use, the literal definition of time pressure.
So having to hit a to the minute time slot at a distribution warehouse while ensuring at least 45 minutes break after no more than 4 hours 30 minutes driving isn't time pressure. With your off shift time also being monitored isn't pressure? The other poters idea of extending digital tachos may have some issues but I don't think it deserves your own personal 'moratorium' of his idea.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
So having to hit a to the minute time slot at a distribution warehouse while ensuring at least 45 minutes break after no more than 4 hours 30 minutes driving isn't time pressure.

It's not the same immediate time pressure as "if you take 5 minutes off your urban journey that's going to save a fiver".

With your off shift time also being monitored isn't pressure? The other poters idea of extending digital tachos may have some issues but I don't think it deserves your own personal 'moratorium' of his idea.

It has impossibly massive issues because it would encourage dangerous driving. It is thus the worst possible idea, and so there is no possible way it will happen.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
It's not the same immediate time pressure as "if you take 5 minutes off your urban journey that's going to save a fiver".

It has impossibly massive issues because it would encourage dangerous driving. It is thus the worst possible idea, and so there is no possible way it will happen.
Basically anything like this will cause people to cut corners. It is another reason to "save time" and people will try and save it when its not just their personal time but additionally money to save as well. Its a shame as the idea has its merits but an average speed can be kept within legal limits by not slowing down where prudent. I used to see this when riding motorbikes in a group the riders of smaller bikes used to take risks in places so as to catch up with the bigger bikes which could accelerate back up to speed after a dangerous place. We used to insist - if you don't fall behind then we wont wait for you. Its very easy to fall for the pressure.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Basically anything like this will cause people to cut corners. It is another reason to "save time" and people will try and save it when its not just their personal time but additionally money to save as well.

Exactly. It's a terrible idea. The roads are dangerous enough without adding time pressure to journeys which presently don't have it.

DC1989

I think if the government were going to do this, they needed to do it a little while ago for electric cars only. Thereby making it seems fair (as a way to replace fuel duty) and annoying such a small amount of people that it's not a problem 'politically'.

As the amount of Electric car owners keep continuing to rise it gets harder and harder. With the governments election strategy appearing to be solely culture wars, this won't happen until at least after the next election by which time I think it will be fair too damaging politically. There'll be a 40bn hole that needs filled someway though

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think if the government were going to do this, they needed to do it a little while ago for electric cars only. Thereby making it seems fair (as a way to replace fuel duty) and annoying such a small amount of people that it's not a problem 'politically'.

I suspect in reality it will apply to all vehicles, not just EVs, but in addition to fuel duty for ICEs, thus providing further motivation to electrify.

Lancs

Exactly. It's a terrible idea. The roads are dangerous enough without adding time pressure to journeys which presently don't have it.
Actually, if you consider the digital tachograph as a data collection device, instead of a time monitoring device, the idea is not as daft as you are making out.

The digital tachograph collects not only times, but also vehicle mileage and mileage driven by that driver - as well as the driving times. So ignore the time, and you have a record of "number of miles driven by that driver in that day"...

Remind me again of your concept for usage based charging, and the data requirements to implement that?

The main plus points about digital tachographs are that the technology exists in a very mature state, can already be retrofitted to most even moderately modern vehicles, is already a legally recognised device for evidence submission in the courts, and the DVLA already know how to issue them. The only part of the process not yet defined is getting the data from your card and into the central charging system - this is not insurmountable, little USB devices the size of your bank card reader are available for them already, in fact all transport operations offices in the UK already have them for downloading their drivers' data.

Suddenly the demands of implementing a new system are not that great, or therefore risky - which is the common downfall of any new large-scale IT system.

AM9

Veteran Member
I think that would be political suicide
By 2024/5 the situation on more than one front might be significantly different:
the number of EVs sold may exceed the number of IC vehicles​
the proportion of the driving public in the process or planning to get an EV in the near future will be much larger than now​
many more ULEZs will be in operation​
oil proces may be higher​
after another year, the climate change impact of actual UK weather might focus the minds of many more of the population​
Of course, maybe none of that might happen, but I believe that the nudges to squeeze polluting and CO2 generating vehicles off the road will get steadily more tolerated by the majority of the population.

Lancs

By 2024/5 the situation on more than one front might be significantly different:
the number of EVs sold may exceed the number of IC vehicles​
the proportion of the driving public in the process or planning to get an EV in the near future will be much larger than now​
many more ULEZs will be in operation​
oil proces may be higher​
after another year, the climate change impact of actual UK weather might focus the minds of many more of the population​
Of course, maybe none of that might happen, but I believe that the nudges to squeeze polluting and CO2 generating vehicles off the road will get steadily more tolerated by the majority of the population.
Also, the more EVs we can get plugged in and re-feeding the power grid when required, will help create a country-wide huge battery for soaking up the intermittent green supplies of electricity!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Actually, if you consider the digital tachograph as a data collection device, instead of a time monitoring device, the idea is not as daft as you are making out.

Using the tachograph to do it is an option, but not a very granular one as it can only do "number of miles driven", not "number of miles driven in specific settings". It thus just offers a slightly more secure version of using the odometer at considerable installation cost.

What is totally unworkable is a charge per unit time for road use - it has to be either zonal or per unit distance, otherwise you motivate people to drive fast and inconsiderately to minimise cost.

While I don't doubt the Government would want to do it for crime reduction purposes, if it's done with some sort of "black box" it doesn't need to track the location, just track an amount spent based on the time and location the device detects the car has been driven. Once it's been added to the cumulative cost there's no need to store the location.

AM9

Veteran Member
Also, the more EVs we can get plugged in and re-feeding the power grid when required, will help create a country-wide huge battery for soaking up the intermittent green supplies of electricity!
Yes of course, quotes here seem to be claiming that IC vehicles carrying fuel tanks containing petrol of diesel carry the stored energy for the vehicles on the road whereas EVs only carry a little energy which might well have provided by burning gas. Soon, renewable energy will be way ahead of CO2 sources and flexible tariffs will result in a significant amount of that energy being from the vehicle owner's PV installation.
We may get to the position where EV owners would object to IC drivers not contributing to dealing with the pollution that is caused by their driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.