• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A question for guards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

notadriver

Established Member
Out of interest, who has authority in these kind of situations? If the driver says some off-duty police officers can sit in First Class and the guard says they can't, what goes?

Absolutely the guard - the guard is in charge of the train.

driver9000

Established Member
You don't have to be 'trained' in customer service to smile, say hello and perhaps answer a few questions. And I'm also surprised you haven't been trained in the use of a ramp too - quite a few Northern drivers will get the ramp out if need be thus saving a bit of time. The Cumbrian boys quite often help their guards out in this way as there are quite a few disabled passengers who use that stretch. Everybody has their own way of working at the end of the day. Some will stick to their duties vigorously and others will be a bit more helpful. You take your pick

Maybe I didn't write my post properly. Of course I'm polite and helpful to the passengers and if I can't help them I'll point them in the direction of someone who can. No one that I know has been trained to use a ramp and for that simple reason you won't see me use one.

TOCDriver

Maybe I didn't write my post properly. Of course I'm polite and helpful to the passengers and if I can't help them I'll point them in the direction of someone who can. No one that I know has been trained to use a ramp and for that simple reason you won't see me use one.

Oh well, perhaps some are more helpful than others. Not the hardest things in the world to erect, but in these modern times, I can't blame you for being a bit wary of carrying out a simple procedure really. Have you been trained in opening the door for somebody?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
What depot? I'll be sure to pass on your wishes if and when I bump into him. :)

Fratton! But I have already been told that you will not know him! We did c158 traction training together quite a few years ago - salt of the earth he is Thanks anyway!

Last edited:

driver9000

Established Member
Not the hardest things in the world to erect, but in these modern times, I can't blame you for being a bit wary of carrying out a simple procedure really. Have you been trained in opening the door for somebody?

It's more a question of the potential consequences of doing it wrong. Should I somehow make a mistake and someone falls off the ramp or it collapses I would find myself with my managers trying to explain why I was carrying out a task I had no formal briefing or training on and something my job does not require me to do. As you should know our industry loves proven competence and paper trails for everything. One of the first things I was taught is if you are not trained on it you don't touch it. All my trains carry someone who is trained in its use so I have no need to know how it works.

TOCDriver

It's more a question of the potential consequences of doing it wrong. Should I somehow make a mistake and someone falls off the ramp or it collapses I would find myself with my managers trying to explain why I was carrying out a task I had no formal briefing or training on and something my job does not require me to do. As you should know our industry loves proven competence and paper trails for everything. One of the first things I was taught is if you are not trained on it you don't touch it. All my trains carry someone who is trained in its use so I have no need to know how it works.

That's your prerogative, mate. I personally have had no brief whatsoever about their use or any prohibition about me using them. Still, like I say, I can understand your reluctance about using them. I try to be a little more helpful when I can- topic closed. I've not come to any harm in the 6 years I've been working the iron road nor have I had anything said to me from my manager.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.