• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A 'rail' good day out, from Leeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexl92

Established Member
My parents and I are considering a day trip out somewhere from Leeds on the railways one Saturday in November. We're not exactly sure where but we'd like somewhere with good scenary along the route.

I'd half considered a trip up to Carlisle and back via the S&C, but I'm not sure that there's a huge amount to do in Carlisle itself, and north of Armathwaite is still a bustitution. My mother also mentioned the Cumbrian Coast line but I'm not sure we can realistically do it in a day without a ridiculously early start and finish.

Just wondered whether anyone could recommend a good day out? Any destinations/stopping points do not have to have railway-related attractions or landmarks but equally more than just a pub would be nice. Ideally not overly expensive too.

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
If you're travelling the Settle - Carlisle you might want to take in some of the pubs along the way. Appleby is nice and the Midland Hotel does a good pint. The station inn at Ribblehead is worth stopping in if you fancy looking at the viaduct.

I recently visited Lancaster Castle, which is a lovely route from Leeds and the history of the castle itself is quite interesting (it was a working prison until a couple of years ago) and Lancaster has some nice pubs.

Hull Maritime Museum was quite interesting, and the city itself has some good pubs.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The line from Leeds to Armathwaite is still very beautiful, and very reasonable priced due to the temporary S&C Line ranger (assuming you are not doing the Northern £10 deal).

I worked out that (when the S&C line is open fully) you can do a circular journey from Leeds to Lancaster, up the coast to Carlisle and then back down to Leeds again

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
When is the S&C fully open again does anyone know? Alex192 said November, I thought it wasn't fully open by then.

Condor7

Yes Network Rail have been very good and give regular updates.
The mild weather has helped and the most recent update confirmed the end of March is still on target to be completed.

Appleby is a beautiful town with lots of traditional shops and a lovely walk along the River Eden the only river in the UK to flow south to north. Appleby Castle is also now open to the public and well worth a visit.

An alternative journey would be what I think they call the Little North Western line from Settle Juntion to Carnforth and Lancaster. This sits in the shadow of the S&C but is still a very beautiful run. Both towns are worth visiting and your parents will love the Brief Encounter cafe at Carnforth especially if they have watched the film. If it turned out to be a nice day you could also continue to Morecambe and enjoy a walk along the prom and cream tea at The Midland Hotel refurbished a few years back into its 1930's Art Deco style.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Are you thinking of doing the £10 Northern rover, or just get a return somewhere fairly nearby and sensibly priced?

If the Northern rover, I'd say a round trip from Leeds to Lancaster or Morecambe then Preston/Blackpool and back to Leeds would be a nice day out. The Little North Western is pretty scenic, if not in the same league as the S&C.

There's sod all to do in Carlisle these days, unless pound shops and scallies drinking cider on street corners are your thing.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I recently visited Lancaster Castle, which is a lovely route from Leeds and the history of the castle itself is quite interesting (it was a working prison until a couple of years ago) and Lancaster has some nice pubs.

Hull Maritime Museum was quite interesting, and the city itself has some good pubs.

I would recommend Lancaster as a place, as there's a few attractions (the City Museum, the Maritime Museum as well as the Castle to visit. You can spend a day there (as I did last year) with no problems.

Similarly, Hull has a whole area near to the docks full of museums of various different subjects. Again, I spent a day there last year with no problems.

I'm afraid that I can't comment on places to eat in either city, as I didn't have a sit down meal in either place.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I would recommend Lancaster as a place, as there's a few attractions (the City Museum, the Maritime Museum as well as the Castle to visit. You can spend a day there (as I did last year) with no problems.

Similarly, Hull has a whole area near to the docks full of museums of various different subjects. Again, I spent a day there last year with no problems.

I'm afraid that I can't comment on places to eat in either city, as I didn't have a sit down meal in either place.

In Hull there's a decent curry house down the side street to the South of the station.

I must admit, for all my visits to Lancaster in recent years, food has been a bit of an afterthought.

Need to ask, Doing a £10 Northern rover next Sat 19 Nov, Sure I saw advert for northern rail and the Windermere branch, Am I correct that I'm assuming the 08:46 from Manchester Piccadilly is Northern operatored throughout using northern stock and NOT TPE???

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.