• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A real case for electrification of Wolverhampton-Shrewsbury line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLIRTfan18

Reading an article from a local newspaper this morning, Shrewsbury MP Daniel Kawczynski seems to believe that there is a strong case for electrification of the Wolverhampton to Shrewsbury line, citing environmental and economic reasons. These are credible, however I'm very skeptical that it really makes sense.
The line is due to have a complete overhaul of its rolling stock in the coming years. West Midlands Railway are introducing their diesel 196s and in the not too distant future Transport for Wales will be bringing in the 197s. If the line was electrified both operators would need to bring in yet more new trains, which takes years and which will leave a surplus of perfectly good DMUS that will pollute the air somewhere else instead.
Avanti are replacing their voyagers with bi-modes, I believe, but they only operate a couple of services a day.
There are many places that are crying out for electrification, but for me this is just not one of them at this point in time - there are many that should jump the queue. Thoughts?

https://www.expressandstar.com/news...sport-officials-to-press-for-electrification/
MP Daniel Kawczynski, says he has had a 'very productive' meeting with officials from the Department for Transport where he pressed the case for electrifying the railway line between Wolverhampton and Shrewsbury.

Mr Kawczynski, MP for Shrewsbury & Atcham, said there would be huge environmental and economic benefits to electrifying the 28-mile stretch, which also has stations in Staffordshire and Telford.

"Having dirty diesel trains along the line is very antiquated."

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class360/1

Reading an article from a local newspaper this morning, Shrewsbury MP Daniel Kawczynski seems to believe that there is a strong case for electrification of the Wolverhampton to Shrewsbury line, citing environmental and economic reasons. These are credible, however I'm very skeptical that it really makes sense.
The line is due to have a complete overhaul of its rolling stock in the coming years. West Midlands Railway are introducing their diesel 196s and in the not too distant future Transport for Wales will be bringing in the 197s. If the line was electrified both operators would need to bring in yet more new trains, which takes years and which will leave a surplus of perfectly good DMUS that will pollute the air somewhere else instead.
Avanti are replacing their voyagers with bi-modes, I believe, but they only operate a couple of services a day.
There are many places that are crying out for electrification, but for me this is just not one of them at this point in time - there are many that should jump the queue. Thoughts?

Full MML, East West Rail, Hull, TransPennine, Felixstowe (ports) and electrification to Bath and Oxfordshire

tbtc

Veteran Member
It'd be strange to find myself on the same side of any argument as Daniel Kawczynski... but there's something to be said for wiring the line - a half hourly service seems a threshold for whether a line is worth electrifying (i.e. the two WMT services - ignoring any Avanti services).

The two issues I'd have would be:

1. Would this mean a reduction in Welsh services (given that you'd want to run fewer diesels on the line to justify the electrification)? Can't see that being popular west of the border, but the TfW trains proposed for the line are all *pure* DMU (as I understand it), so would they continue to send as many diesels on the hundred mile round trip east of Shrewsbury, fully under the wires?
2. Would this mean an end to the semaphores at Shrewsbury? (apologies if they've been replaced, I've not been there recently)

IMHO this line should have been electrified many years ago, Ideally at the same time as Wolverhampton. That way there would never have been the need to swap from electric to diesel traction at Wolverhampton. If I were in charge of electrification I'd be wiring this route tomorrow and extending it to Chester as the start of a wider north and mid wales scheme including. This would include the Cambrian line to Aberystwyth as well as the North Wales main line to Holyhead (including the LLandudno branch). Not sure what I'd do about the Cambrian Coast or the Conwy Valley lines though the temptation would be to include them plus Wrecsam-Bidston and thus eliminate diesel trains from the region.

The downside for semaphore signal lovers would of course be the replacement of the signalling at Shrewsbury. How long ago was that first proposed? (I vaguely recall a mid-1980s Rail Atlas including a proposed Shrewsbury PSB)

FLIRTfan18

Either a factory (trains) or Australia (bird)

I'll get my coat
There's my issue with it. It would mean ordering brand new trains to replace brand new trains. Meaning going through training staff on new trains twice, and all the delays associated with that etc.. when you can electrify a line elsewhere and replace ageing DMUs directly. Electrifying the line is at best inconvenient when it comes to rolling stock, when as I said there are many lines that would benefit just as much and where the situation in terms of rolling stock makes more sense.

Undiscovered

Semaphore signals will remain at Shrewsbury for many years to come. The mechanics and interlocking have been long acknowledged by Network Rail to be far to complex to easily transfer into Solid State.

With regards to the line, there are some challenges in Oakengates Tunnel, and the area around Preston Boats.
This area especially, as I understand, is precluded from heavy construction work due to issues found /arising from the construction of the Shrewsbury Bypass many years ago. The nature of these, however, I'm not at liberty to divulge - suffice to say you'd need very, very deep pockets to build the required earthworks to support the overhead masts.

These two problems make the project prohibitively expensive.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Semaphore signals will remain at Shrewsbury for many years to come. The mechanics and interlocking have been long acknowledged by Network Rail to be far to complex to easily transfer into Solid State.

With regards to the line, there are some challenges in Oakengates Tunnel, and the area around Preston Boats.
This area especially, as I understand, is precluded from heavy construction work due to issues found /arising from the construction of the Shrewsbury Bypass many years ago. The nature of these, however, I'm not at liberty to divulge - suffice to say you'd need very, very deep pockets to build the required earthworks to support the overhead masts.

Shrewsbury will get resignalled at some point, I don't see what is different to any other mechanical conversion. You would just end up remodelling/rationalising the layout. Worcester is being looked at now.

FLIRTfan18

My instinct was that the low and long road bridge at Bilbrook station might a challenge as well, although I don't know very much about that kind of thing

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It'd be strange to find myself on the same side of any argument as Daniel Kawczynski... but there's something to be said for wiring the line - a half hourly service seems a threshold for whether a line is worth electrifying (i.e. the two WMT services - ignoring any Avanti services).

Much as it will be a personal disappointment, I suspect the 2nd off peak WMT service may not return any time soon.

But... electrification might be a way of getting a second service, as it could be an extension of the Wolves - Birmingham stopper.

Undiscovered

My instinct was that the low and long road bridge at Bilbrook station might a challenge as well, although I don't know very much about that kind of thing
Bilbrook, you can lower the track gradient and sort station access accordingly, not a problem. Oxley to Codsall is relatively straight.

Oakengates- the tunnel is curved, has stations immediately (almost) either side, and has infrastructure and housing built over the tunnel, meaning any track work you undertake has to be very considered.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
The downside for semaphore signal lovers would of course be the replacement of the signalling at Shrewsbury. How long ago was that first proposed? (I vaguely recall a mid-1980s Rail Atlas including a proposed Shrewsbury PSB)

Whilst you would expect resignalling to happen at the same time as a proposed electrification does it actually have to happen - what now prevents semaphores with OLE?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Whilst you would expect resignalling to happen at the same time as a proposed electrification does it actually have to happen - what now prevents semaphores with OLE?

In complex areas, there is an issue with signal sighting to semaphores on any sort of gantry (as opposed to a straight post), because the signal gantry and signal arms take up a lot more space, and interfere with clearances to the OLE.

You can, just, get away with single post semaphores on OLE lines, but anything more complex is almost impossible.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
In complex areas, there is an issue with signal sighting to semaphores on any sort of gantry (as opposed to a straight post), because the signal gantry and signal arms take up a lot more space, and interfere with clearances to the OLE.

You can, just, get away with single post semaphores on OLE lines, but anything more complex is almost impossible.

Thanks for that - I wasn’t sure, thinking about it complex semaphores with OLE are generally found on the continent where there is a bigger loading gauge to start with.

With bi-mode trains coming to the West Coast and the majority of trains t serving Shrewsbury being long distance from Cardiff, Aberystwyth, Manchester, North Wales etc you do come to the conclusion there would be far more suitable places to electrify first that could bring benefit to far more services.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Bilbrook, you can lower the track gradient and sort station access accordingly, not a problem. Oxley to Codsall is relatively straight.

Oakengates- the tunnel is curved, has stations immediately (almost) either side, and has infrastructure and housing built over the tunnel, meaning any track work you undertake has to be very considered.

Regarding the tunnel at Oakengates, has it been looked at to see if it is possible to electrify using conductor bars similar to the Severn Tunnel?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Regarding the tunnel at Oakengates, has it been looked at to see if it is possible to electrify using conductor bars similar to the Severn Tunnel?

Electrification hasn’t been looked at full stop.

In any event, conductor bar is not a solution for low clearance. It is a solution for low maintenance / high reliability.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Many thanks.

No worries. I should have said that low maintenance / high reliability is often required in tunnels either because of the difficulty of gaining access to do inspection / routine maintenance (Severn Tunnel), and/or because they carry a high frequency of traffic (Thameslink / Crossrail).

HSTEd

Veteran Member
No worries. I should have said that low maintenance / high reliability is often required in tunnels either because of the difficulty of gaining access to do inspection / routine maintenance (Severn Tunnel), and/or because they carry a high frequency of traffic (Thameslink / Crossrail).

Any idea why it wasn't used in the Channel tunnel?

My understanding is, despite the huge loading gauge, they only have minimum clearance under the wire because of the huge trains.

ac6000cw

Established Member
The Channel Tunnel is two fully bi-directional single-track bores with two sets of undersea crossovers between them, so closing a tunnel section for maintenance at quieter times isn't a problem. Also it has a service tunnel for access if needed.

You can't do that in the same way with a double-track bore like the Severn Tunnel.

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Any idea why it wasn't used in the Channel tunnel?

My understanding is, despite the huge loading gauge, they only have minimum clearance under the wire because of the huge trains.

it sure it was invented back then, at least not in the scale to put in the tunnel. But in any event, clearances aren’t why it is deployed...

The Channel Tunnel is two fully bi-directional single-track bores with two sets of underseas crossovers between them, so closing a tunnel section for maintenance at quieter times isn't a problem. Also it has a service tunnel for access if needed.

You can't do that in the same way with a double-track bore like the Severn Tunnel.

Exactly.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I'd have thought the West Midlands devolved transport body would decide local electrification priorities in its area.
Diesels in New St and the approach tunnels are a factor in environmental planning, but there's a long way to go yet with XC and other diesel services.
Avanti will at least be using bi-modes from next year.
WMT and TfW may one day regret going for a diesel-only solution.

The route also suffers from a low line speed.
It's quite a few years (10+?) since 90mph instead of 70mph was planned, and a lot of route work was done plus resignalling (bar Shrewsbury).
But the line speed upgrade fell by the wayside, while TfW did manage to upgrade to 90mph from Shrewsbury towards Gobowen.

The Planner

Veteran Member
The route also suffers from a low line speed.
It's quite a few years (10+?) since 90mph instead of 70mph was planned, and a lot of route work was done plus resignalling (bar Shrewsbury).
But the line speed upgrade fell by the wayside, while TfW did manage to upgrade to 90mph from Shrewsbury towards Gobowen.
Nothing was done to facilitate 90mph, it never washes its face. The re-signalling was to get rid of Oxley and Madeley boxes, which as you say, were done 10 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.