• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A scam phone calls and emails discussion.

87 027

I'm not convinced that's how it works. The property never gets the guest's email address, they only see a randomised @booking.com address. All messages between the property and the guest go through Booking.com. If Booking.com are still allowing malware infected attachments through after all this time then I have to assume that they're in on it.

At least that's how it works with the property I mentioned above.
This security blog from Akamai gives further details of infostealer malware affecting the hospitality industry

Introduction​

Despite the widespread awareness of phishing, it is still one of the most successful and ubiquitous attack vectors in the vast landscape of cyberthreats. Phishing campaigns come in various forms and have continued to evolve as new potential mediums arise. From emails that impersonate banks to text messages that mimic delivery notifications to malicious code embedded into a photo of a kitten, phishing can affect anyone with access to a computer.
One of the most recently discovered delivery methods is the sophisticated infostealer that targets the hospitality industry through online booking services. A malicious actor makes a booking request, choosing the “pay at hotel” option, and sends the hotel a series of urgent and seemingly heartfelt emails with links to “photos” that are an executable infostealer.
Although this particular version was aimed at the hotels, our SecOps team has detected a second stage of this sophisticated phishing campaign, which then targets the legitimate customers of these sites.
As the holiday travel season approaches, there is no better time to be wary of this phishing method. In this blog post, we detail some of our observations and share recommendations for staying safe online.

Attack chain​

The attack chain consists of three steps: executing the infostealer, contacting the victim, and catching the victim.

Step 1: Executing the infostealer​

After the infostealer is executed on the original target (the hotel), the attacker can access messaging with legitimate customers. It is often recommended that customers use only official and known methods of communication, such as various messaging platforms within the site, to prevent illegitimate or scam interactions. Unfortunately, this great advice becomes moot now that the attacker can access those methods.

Step 2: Contacting the victim​

Now that the attacker has direct and trusted access, a message is sent to the intended victim. This message follows a typical phishing modus operandi: urgent, requiring immediate action, and fear-invoking. It is written professionally and modeled after genuine hotel interactions with their guests, which creates even more trust for the recipient.
It is important to remember that this message comes from within the booking site’s message platform itself. If this were an email from an unknown sender, it likely would be ignored, but since this is a direct message from within the booking site itself, it seems legitimate and trustworthy. Attackers show both persistence and spreadability across multiple campaigns.

Step 3: Catching the victim​

The message contains an illegitimate link claiming to be an additional card verification to ensure the booking isn’t canceled. The victim, clearly wanting to keep the reservation, complies with the terms outlined in the message and clicks the link. This link triggers an executable on the victim’s machine encoded in a complex JavaScript Base64 script.

(Article continues with further technical detail)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
This security blog from Akamai gives further details of infostealer malware affecting the hospitality industry
With reference to the section you bolded:
It is important to remember that this message comes from within the booking site’s message platform itself.
That's why I said that if Booking.com are still allowing this through their system then the scammers have someone on the inside. It's trivially easy for them to block hazardous attachments.

Howardh

Established Member
Turning on two factor authentication is a huge yes. Make sure you also go through all the authorised apps and revoke access.
Does look like it's worked. Happily once gone through the two factor you can "trust" your device so no need to log in every time.

najaB

Veteran Member
I'm not convinced that's how it works. The property never gets the guest's email address, they only see a randomised @booking.com address. All messages between the property and the guest go through Booking.com
I checked today and I'm even less convinced that that explanation holds water. When a guest sends a message, the property receives an email notification, but to actually read the message they have to log in to the Booking.com website.

I can't rule out that some properties can receive message directly from guests, but my friend's can't and they were a victim of the scam despite never receiving any message with an attachment.

Interestingly, they received a message from Booking saying that the guest I referenced earlier wanted a refund of the £1,200 that they got diddled for despite it clearly having nothing to do with them. The guest had provided a bank statement showing that the transaction was processed online in Bulgarian Lev.

Needless to say, Booking.com got told that under no circumstances would my friend be paying for their lax security!

Last edited:

87 027

That's interesting, I don't think the exact attack vector has been pinned down but as this isn't a cyber security forum the key takeaway for the general reader is that (i) it is possible for hackers to infiltrate a platform such as booking.com via compromised credentials and (ii) use that access to send malicious communications to customers which appear legitimate because they are sent via the platform's official app and messaging service. So be on guard folks!

najaB

Veteran Member
That's interesting, I don't think the exact attack vector has been pinned down but as this isn't a cyber security forum the key takeaway for the general reader is that (i) it is possible for hackers to infiltrate a platform such as booking.com via compromised credentials and (ii) use that access to send malicious communications to customers which appear legitimate because they are sent via the platform's official app and messaging service. So be on guard folks!
Couldn't agree more.

Howardh

Established Member
I checked today and I'm even less convinced that that explanation holds water. When a guest sends a message, the property receives an email notification, but to actually read the message they have to log in to the Booking.com website.

I can't rule out that some properties can receive message directly from guests, but my friend's can't and they were a victim of the scam despite never receiving any message with an attachment.

Interestingly, they received a message from Booking saying that the guest I referenced earlier wanted a refund of the £1,200 that they got diddled for despite it clearly having nothing to do with them. The guest had provided a bank statement showing that the transaction was processed online in Bulgarian Lev.

Needless to say, Booking.com got told that under no circumstances would my friend be paying for their lax security!
If the scam was paid by credit card, shouldn't the victim be protected? They would be if the hotel went bust, but what about crime?

najaB

Veteran Member
If the scam was paid by credit card, shouldn't the victim be protected? They would be if the hotel went bust, but what about crime?
The document provided was in Mandarin so I can't be sure about it, but it looked more like a bank statement than a credit card statement, so I'm guessing it was paid using a debit card.

Usually credit card companies will indemnify their customer against things like skimming or websites that get hacked, not sure what their position is with online transactions where you 'willingly' enter your details.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Sorry if this has been raised already in this thread but 60 pages are a lot to go through ...

Why do telecom companies allow callers to display false numbers rather than the number they are actually calling from? How difficult would it to be stop this facility?

And why do banks allow money to be paid into accounts obviously run by scammers?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Why do telecom companies allow callers to display false numbers rather than the number they are actually calling from? How difficult would it to be stop this facility?
Indeed, but number spoofing is not necessarily illegal in the U.K., is it? Perhaps it should be, as, I believe is the case in the U.S.

87 027

I'm sure we've discussed it upthread where I think the conclusion was that number spoofing is trivially easy with traditional copper-based landlines but technically much harder in a digital voice system - ironically given recent posts!

The problem when it comes to enforcement is how, practically, that enforcement is going to work. Especially where said criminals are being sheltered by hostile regimes who are actively seeking to disrupt and destabilise the West and don't care two hoots about the victims in those territories who are scammed.

Buzby

Because all phone numbers are ‘virtual’ - or became so after System X and AXE10 Exchanges began rolling out in the mid 70’s. The old numbers were mapped to a line identity at the exchange, which was also used for billing. Fully digital lines of end users with ISDN would be given a ‘block’ of numbers. 30 if it was ISDN 30, 10 if ISDN 2 (or 2e). The customer could decide what number(s) to use, just 1 - for Call centre use, or anything from the allocated range - this allowed DDI (Direct Dialling In) to PABX’s that did away with switchboard. Unscrupulous firms found that they could make their PABX show (‘present’ in the parlance) not just their allocated line numbers, but anything at all - this was to facilitate 0800, 0345 or any other number that could be routed to the firm. Meanwhile, the analogue PSTN was locked down, with no ability for the renter to change the line number shown - only cause it not to be shown to other analogue customers (Firms with ISDN lines got the number anyway with a flag saying ‘do not display’)

There can be many legitimate reasons why a ’false’ number needs to be used - a hospital ward calling out should show its main number for returning calls. The days of ‘withheld’ numbers are universally disliked, as ACR (Anonymous Call Rejection) saw to that. The signalling standard for digital lines allowed for it - across the world - so inbound calls from India or the Philippines whether genuine or fake, can have any number programmed into it - even VOIP ‘soft’ phones let you select what number your call recipients will see. I agree it’s not ideal, but even the bank card scams - where the real number is spoofed is no reason to accept it at face value, and the public needs to realise this.

najaB

Veteran Member
And why do banks allow money to be paid into accounts obviously run by scammers?
By the time it becomes evident that the account is being used for fraudulent purposes, the money has been sent through a dozen other accounts and can't be traced.

najaB

Veteran Member
More often than not the banks are abroad, and don't care.
They care, it's just very difficult to do anything about given the speed with which the money can get spirited through several intermediate accounts.

Buzby

Anyone remember the ‘London’ Bank BCCI? They had the plug pulled on their activities - but really just the tip of the iceberg.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Anyone remember the ‘London’ Bank BCCI?

'BCCI', sometimes referred to as the "Bank of Crooks and Criminals International". Ostensibly Luxembourg registered, but with head offices in London and Karachi. Failed dramatically in 1991. Generally acknowledged to be perhaps the most poorly regulated, money-laundering 'bank' ever.

najaB

Veteran Member
Anyone remember the ‘London’ Bank BCCI? They had the plug pulled on their activities - but really just the tip of the iceberg.
And the fact that they were shut down is an example of why most banks care about not knowingly assisting fraudsters.

MP33

I remember BCCI. I had one of their credit cards. If you were a radio amateur and a RSGB member you could get a card with your callsign on it. I met another amateur who also had one and used it on the day that they were shut down to pay for lunch for him and clients of his business. He said he never received a bill for the meal. Being in meetings and a restaurant he had no idea anything had happened.

Another London address to give and I assume it has a house number. On Eastern Avenue Ilford just before the Redbridge roundabout and the A406. There is a building between two rows of terraced houses. Which is a sub station for the central line.

Lucan

Established Member
More often than not the banks are abroad, and don't care.

They care, it's just very difficult to do anything about given the speed with which the money can get spirited through several intermediate accounts.
That's a rosy view. I have followed the scam issue quite a bit and there are certain countries where scammers prefer to deposit their gains. Thailand and the Philippines are favourites - the scammers are not necessarily based there themselves, in fact they are usually not, but if the banks do care and act then I guess that some do so at a different level from others. It is part of the scammers' obfuscation not to use a bank in their own country as a first stage, and in case of scams using gift cards, the scammers employ mules to deposit the cards in the banking nation.

najaB

Veteran Member
Thailand and the Philippines are favourites - the scammers are not necessarily based there themselves, in fact they are usually not, but if the banks do care and act then I guess that some do so at a different level from others.
The banks do care, in as much as it's in their interests to retain the ability to do business internationally. So they need to ensure that they are doing enough to be able to tick the necessary boxes so that they don't get kicked out of inter-bank agreements like SWIFT.

david1212

Established Member
The number of unsolicited calls is increasing. I have just cleared four off the handsets from today.
Three UK numbers 0131..., 0141.... and 01730. The fourth 00917......

londonbridge

Established Member
Here’s a new one I’ve not had before, an email telling me my Disney+ account has expired (I don’t have one), but I can extend for free for ninety days as part of the loyalty programme. Of course, they need my credit card details to verify my account.

Looked on the Disney website for an address to forward phishing emails to for their attention, but looks like they don’t have one as the help page just says delete the email and don’t click any links.