• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A strange occurence...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbostar

Ok, here's one for you: At approx. 17.40 this eve, a Plym-bound HST was heading in approaching Tavistock Junction. The light was red just before you get to the yard, opp. my work. Noticing when the HST approached it was going on the tad fast side, I then noticed something else strange, it was running on the 'Up' line! Went past me (out having a cig at the time btw;)), then via the points opp. the yard, went back on to the norm 'Down' line. Now, my first thought was 'Ok, must be a broken down train on the 'Down' line somewhere between just before Plympton & Tavistock Junction yard, hence why the HST was on the 'Up' line'. No sooner than the HST passed, & joined back onto the norm 'Down' line, a Voyager then approached, stopping at the red signal like it should. After all this, trains ran as norm. This has got to be one of the most strange workings I have seen on the railway. Now, does anyone know, or have any idea why this all occured??? Answers on a postcard please lol. :razz:

Mart

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westcoaster

Established Member
track circuit failure seems most lickely, they might of used the hst to test/reset the circuit or just run on a bi-directional road to get around it.

JonG

Ok, here's one for you: At approx. 17.40 this eve, a Plym-bound HST was heading in approaching Tavistock Junction. The light was red just before you get to the yard, opp. my work. Noticing when the HST approached it was going on the tad fast side, I then noticed something else strange, it was running on the 'Up' line! Went past me (out having a cig at the time btw;)), then via the points opp. the yard, went back on to the norm 'Down' line. Now, my first thought was 'Ok, must be a broken down train on the 'Down' line somewhere between just before Plympton & Tavistock Junction yard, hence why the HST was on the 'Up' line'. No sooner than the HST passed, & joined back onto the norm 'Down' line, a Voyager then approached, stopping at the red signal like it should. After all this, trains ran as norm. This has got to be one of the most strange workings I have seen on the railway. Now, does anyone know, or have any idea why this all occured??? Answers on a postcard please lol. :razz:

Mart

Mart,

The 1700 Plymouth-Paddington (1A96) failed at Hemerdon. The HST set then rolled back into Plymouth & the service was terminated, this was probably the HST set you saw apparently working wrong line.

<JG>

Status
Not open for further replies.