• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A trip on the 37s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minilad

Established Member
A little trip oooop north today to travel on some proper trains.
Early start from New St on the 0701 Liverpool service as far as Crewe as a means to avoid too much time spent on tilting filth. Unfortunately said filth had to be had from Crewe to Lancaster to enable getting all 4 37s in
37402 was had from Lancaster to Preston and here she is on arrival

https://www.flickr.com/photos/xcdrichard/18503429243/in/dateposted-public/

37218 did the honours up to Barrow

https://www.flickr.com/photos/xcdrichard/18501530144/in/dateposted-public/

Was a few minutes late into Barrow so the charge of the light brigade down the underpass to jump on 37606 to Carlisle. Well not so much charge of the light brigade. More the charge of the middle aged balding men with beer bellies and expensive cameras!!

606 performed well and here she is on arrival at Carlisle

https://www.flickr.com/photos/xcdrichard/18937904449/in/dateposted-public/

Before jumping back on and taking 409 for some bus stop mileage to Dalston

https://www.flickr.com/photos/xcdrichard/18936329020/in/dateposted-public/

While at Carlisle a pot noodle maker appeared on a charter to Lancaster

https://www.flickr.com/photos/xcdrichard/18936423138/in/dateposted-public/

Then some more tilting filth avoidance back to Brum on a 350/4 and Voyager

Was illuminating to hear normal passengers comments about the loco hauled stock. Some even saying these new trains are lovely!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alistair G.

I plan on doing a trip on these on Monday 20th July. I'm hoping to to do Coventry to Preston on 9S44 (a pendolino is hard to avoid these days sadly!) but then the 10:04 Preston to Barrow which should be one of the pair of class 37's and then the 11:38 Barrow to Carlisle to get the other 37's.

Trouble is that there is only a 5 minute connection at barrow, does anyone know whether they would hold the out going Carlisle service if the in bound service is running a few minutes late and also, do they put these services next to each other or is jogging shoes time?!.

Thanks

postye

I plan on doing a trip on these on Monday 20th July. I'm hoping to to do Coventry to Preston on 9S44 (a pendolino is hard to avoid these days sadly!) but then the 10:04 Preston to Barrow which should be one of the pair of class 37's and then the 11:38 Barrow to Carlisle to get the other 37's.

Trouble is that there is only a 5 minute connection at barrow, does anyone know whether they would hold the out going Carlisle service if the in bound service is running a few minutes late and also, do they put these services next to each other or is jogging shoes time?!.

Thanks

Yesterday the Preston-Barrow was 5 minutes late getting in and they held the 1138 to Carlisle until the underpass was clear of bodies, although the front of the Pre-bif resembled a scrum getting down the stairs

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
If an enthusiast at Leamington station is anything to go by (he had traveled on them already), then the 11:38 to Carlisle is worked by the crew (or some of the crewe) that works the 10:04 off Barrow so it should make if the enthusiast was correct.

causton

Established Member
I have been told that only once has the connection not been made - and once the second set was so late the 1004 formed the second service as well!

(this was told to me on the train itself, and someone confirmed with the guard that the connection would be held, so you have nothing to worry about)

Minilad

Established Member
We were a few mins late today and everyone made it OK. I did notice a DRS guy went from one train to the other, think he may have been a travelling fitter, not sure if he is booked to do the two trains though

Bevan Price

Established Member
The connection failed on Monday 22 June, because the 08:42 ex- Carlisle, and 11:38 Barrow - Carlisle were both cancelled. According to RTT, the previous working, 05:46 Barrow - Carlisle was 62 minutes late into Carlisle due to traction problems.

There is no spare (dmu) stock at either Carlisle or Barrow that can be used as a substitute for any failed trains.

Alistair G.

Well it all seems pretty positive (apart from the cancelled trip, but I guess they would have to provide me some form of transport to Carlisle?!)

I guess the only other question is, does anyone know how long the 37's are staying on this route?, my trip is just under 4 weeks away and i just hope they will still be doing it come Monday 20th July!.

Oh, also.... How busy is this service?. Any chance of a table seat or is it a bit a bit packed and make do with what you get kind of thing?

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well it all seems pretty positive (apart from the cancelled trip, but I guess they would have to provide me some form of transport to Carlisle?!)

I guess the only other question is, does anyone know how long the 37's are staying on this route?, my trip is just under 4 weeks away and i just hope they will still be doing it come Monday 20th July!.

Oh, also.... How busy is this service?. Any chance of a table seat or is it a bit a bit packed and make do with what you get kind of thing?

They should be operating for the next 2 years at least.

causton

Established Member
If you get the 10:04 and 11:38 you will probably get a table to yourself, many did just about. Someone may join you for a few stops at the local stations along the route but it's not full up, apparently the other trains can be a lot busier!

Bevan Price

Established Member

1. Transport to Carlisle was the next service, about an hour later (2 x Class 153)

2. I understand that the contract is for up to 2 years, but may become single 37 + DVT later this year.

3. Fairly busy, but not packed, if you join at Preston, Barrow or Carlisle. Likely to be very busy for parts of the route at times when workers are going to or from Sellafield.

Minilad

Established Member
If you get the 10:04 and 11:38 you will probably get a table to yourself, many did just about. Someone may join you for a few stops at the local stations along the route but it's not full up, apparently the other trains can be a lot busier!

What he said. Today at least

sprinterguy

Established Member
2. I understand that the contract is for up to 2 years, but may become single 37 + DVT later this year.
I believe that the intention is for DBSO, rather than DVT, but nonetheless it does not seem as if the changeover to a single 37 per train is imminent and the loco hauled trains will be with us for a couple of years at least.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just to back up what others have said, it appears that this connection is fairly routinely held at Barrow. I will be travelling on these trains in a couple of weeks and have been keeping a watchful eye on this potential issue, as one of my possible options includes that connection onto the 11:38.
Then some more tilting filth avoidance back to Brum on a 350/4 and Voyager
Blimey, I'm astonished to read of someone preferring to travel on a 350 and a Voyager over a Pendolino. I'd choose the Pendolino over either of those alternatives without question (though I'm no great fan of them overall)! TPEs 350s seem particularly tedious, cramped and unpleasant in comparison on the Scotland to Manchester route.

Last edited:

Alistair G.

Thanks for all the information folks. one can only hope its still 37's top and tail and also my connection makes it to preston in the first place!, otherwise i guess all of this is for nothing !.

i notice on google maps there seems to be a small siding just outside barrow station, is anything normally put away there?, are there any other areas i need to be aware of where i might spot a few numbers along the way?

postye

Thanks for all the information folks. one can only hope its still 37's top and tail and also my connection makes it to preston in the first place!, otherwise i guess all of this is for nothing !.

i notice on google maps there seems to be a small siding just outside barrow station, is anything normally put away there?, are there any other areas i need to be aware of where i might spot a few numbers along the way?

There wasn't anything in the Barrow sidings when I went through on the 37's on Tuesday.

On the way from Preston-Barrow you will pass the West Coast Railways depot at Carnforth (on the left in direction of travel), then on the second leg there is the sidings at Sellafield on the right. Probably wont be much else except units in the opposite direction

Minilad

Established Member
Blimey, I'm astonished to read of someone preferring to travel on a 350 and a Voyager over a Pendolino. I'd choose the Pendolino over either of those alternatives without question (though I'm no great fan of them overall)! TPEs 350s seem particularly tedious, cramped and unpleasant in comparison on the Scotland to Manchester route.

I would rather crawl on hands and knees over broken glass than travel on a Pendolino. I absolutely detest them with a passion. I only ever go on them when there is no alternative. The most uncomfortable and claustrophobic train I have ever had the displeasure of travelling on. Even worse having spent 4 hours on comfortable Mk2 stock. The biggest regression in passenger comfort ever.
Not only that you have to suffer the fake Virgin BS all the time. Look at us. Everything is wonderful. Give me a 350 over that all day long.
Sorry if that offends any of the Virgin Fanbois on here!! All IMO of course :D
So. Having had a thrash around Cumbria yesterday I headed to East Anglia today.
68014 to MYB from Moor St started the day

https://www.flickr.com/photos/xcdrichard/19153053155/in/dateposted-public/

90008 then took me to Norwich and these fine pair were waiting for me

https://www.flickr.com/photos/xcdrichard/18966919619/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/xcdrichard/19156524641/in/dateposted-public/

A little jaunt to Great Yarmouth and back. Obviously not as scenic or thrash worthy as yesterday but well worth doing all the same!

Status
Not open for further replies.