• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A340 No more...

Status
Not open for further replies.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Airbus have announced the end of A340 production, killed by ETOPS allowing more fuel efficient twins to do the same job.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I know this sounds silly but I feel safer onboard a four-engined aircraft as two or even three engines can be allowed to fail and the aircraft still making a safe landing.

Nym

Established Member
A340 wings are still being made for the A330MRTT though... (And thats all that was really different in terms of base design)

Schnellzug

Established Member
Didn't Virgin used to say, "4 Engines 4 Long Haul".
I know their safety record may be very nearly unblemished, but the 777 seems way too big to me to have only 2 engines. And those engines have be so big that you could fit a 737 inside them.

Nym

Established Member
Aye, since the 777 is basically a baby 747 without the upper deck (prize to anyone who knows why the 747 has that upper desk design) using the same fuselage frame, but it does have a mahoosive pair of engines.

And most of the times I've seen multiple engine failures, it resulted in all engines failing...

BA9, BA38 etc.

Volcanic Ash, all engines failed, fuel line oil heat exchanger bocked, all engines fail, fuel line broke, all engines fail, etc etc.

WestCoast

Established Member
The Airbus A340 series (especially the A340-600) was indeed a very elegant aircraft. Closing down production was a logical step as this product is quite clearly at the end of its life-cycle. It's become obsolete against the more competitive Boeing 777. However, I believe the highly successful A330-200/300 shares the production facilities with the A340, therefore this department is merely downsizing.

It's reported that allegedly Airbus actually pays a 'fuel rebate' to Lufthansa, the largest customer for the A340 series against the fuel burn on the equivalent B777.

Virgin Atlantic's "4 Engines 4 Long Haul" slogan was ditched swiftly when they ordered A330s and B787s. They've also got A380s on order, although whether this order (which was deferred to 2015) will actually be fulfilled remains to be seen.

GB

Established Member
Aye, since the 777 is basically a baby 747 without the upper deck (prize to anyone who knows why the 747 has that upper desk design) using the same fuselage frame, but it does have a mahoosive pair of engines.

And most of the times I've seen multiple engine failures, it resulted in all engines failing...

BA9, BA38 etc.

Volcanic Ash, all engines failed, fuel line oil heat exchanger bocked, all engines fail, fuel line broke, all engines fail, etc etc.

Wasn't the hump designed with cargo carriers in mind?

Virgin Atlantic's "4 Engines 4 Long Haul" slogan was ditched swiftly when they ordered A330s and B787s.

I'm not a massive fan of the bearded one as whether justified or not I get the impression it's all about spin and publicity from him. This is a truly excellent example, a 360 degree change of opinion purely to suit the moment.

Wonder what Northern Rock can expect...?

Back on topic, I once flew with Virgin on an A340 to New York - it was my first flight with them. I was seated in the rearmost row and, expecting trendy service, rather naively thought that they had a very popular cappucino coffee maker in the galley. Turns out it was the toilet flushing. :oops:

WestCoast

Established Member
Back on topic, I once flew with Virgin on an A340 to New York - it was my first flight with them. I was seated in the rearmost row and, expecting trendy service, rather naively thought that they had a very popular cappucino coffee maker in the galley. Turns out it was the toilet flushing. :oops:

:lol: I know what you mean; Virgin Atlantic does promise this great, trendy service, but doesn't quite live up to that reputation.

Having said that, Virgin's A340-600s have quite smart interiors really. Lufthansa's A340-600s are my favourite though, since they have located a group of toilets underneath the main passenger cabin at the rear of economy. It's great for stretching your legs on a long flight in economy.

The most worn and uncomfortable A340s I've been on belonged to Iberia (BA's sister airline these days!). Although, worn could apply to Iberia in general. :lol:

:lol: I know what you mean; Virgin Atlantic does promise this great, trendy service, but doesn't quite live up to that reputation.

Having said that, Virgin's A340-600s have quite smart interiors really. Lufthansa's A340-600s are my favourite though, since they have located a group of toilets underneath the main passenger cabin at the rear of economy. It's great for stretching your legs on a long flight in economy.

The most worn and uncomfortable A340s I've been on belonged to Iberia (BA's sister airline these days!). Although, worn could apply to Iberia in general. :lol:

I couldn't stretch my legs on the Virgin A340 as there was some enormous black box to support the inflight entertainment system mounted under the seat in front. A few years ago now so hopefully things have changed.

WestCoast

Established Member
I couldn't stretch my legs on the Virgin A340 as there was some enormous black box to support the inflight entertainment system mounted under the seat in front. A few years ago now so hopefully things have changed.

I'm presuming this was an A340-300, with the older and bulkier in-flight entertainment system (referring to the box found below certain seats).

flymo

Established Member
I've flown quite a few times on Virgin on their A340-300s and their A340-600s and they still are an amazing looking aircraft.

The last A340 I flew on was a Cathay aircraft and it was a bit tired. Nothing a cabin refresh wouldn't fix.

Even though prduction hs ceased they wil still be flying for years to come - I hope.

WatcherZero

Established Member
It was old and would have required updating, but this is what really killed it off.

winglet.jpg

Sharklets

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

I was wondering the other day whether it was in my dreams that I remembered an aircraft with lower-level loos. Seems that my memory might have been functioning perfectly fine, only that the last time I travelled with Lufthansa, it was in January 2007. Did they already have the A340-600 in service then or was that really a figment of my imagination? In my log I only seem to have recorded it as A340 without the registration mark.

WestCoast

Established Member
I was wondering the other day whether it was in my dreams that I remembered an aircraft with lower-level loos. Seems that my memory might have been functioning perfectly fine, only that the last time I travelled with Lufthansa, it was in January 2007. Did they already have the A340-600 in service then or was that really a figment of my imagination? In my log I only seem to have recorded it as A340 without the registration mark.

No, the LH A340-600s were in service then, and they have 'lower-level loos'. ;)

I believe there are some Thomas Cook (was MyTravel) A330s with the same feature, among a few others around the world.

alanf

The Airbus A340 series (especially the A340-600) was indeed a very elegant aircraft. Closing down production was a logical step as this product is quite clearly at the end of its life-cycle. It's become obsolete against the more competitive Boeing 777. However, I believe the highly successful A330-200/300 shares the production facilities with the A340, therefore this department is merely downsizing.

It's reported that allegedly Airbus actually pays a 'fuel rebate' to Lufthansa, the largest customer for the A340 series against the fuel burn on the equivalent B777.

Virgin Atlantic's "4 Engines 4 Long Haul" slogan was ditched swiftly when they ordered A330s and B787s. They've also got A380s on order, although whether this order (which was deferred to 2015) will actually be fulfilled remains to be seen.

I wonder if Airbus pays when Lufthansa fly them empty to Malta for servicing

Alan

alanf

They have there biggest hanger outside of Germany there. I was visiting my parents earlier in the year when i saw a 340 landing. When i commented thats its mostly 737s and 319/20s my mother said it will be landing to be serviced. The Lufthansa 380 has been there as well but i think it was just visiting.I believe the 340s may be getting a refit rather than a service but the ones i saw weren't carrying passengers.

Alan

WestCoast

Established Member
Yes, Lufthansa Technik does indeed have an operational centre in Malta. It's a joint venture between Lufthansa (75%) and Air Malta (25%). I suppose there could be various reasons for this location; subsidies, costs, easier access for clients from the Middle East/Africa and so on.

According to company info, heavy maintenance ('C' and 'D' checks) are carried out there for B737s/A320s/A330s/A340s. Work is done there for Lufthansa Group Airlines (LH, Swiss, Austrian, Brussels Airlines e.t.c), Air Malta and other clients.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I wonder if Airbus pays when Lufthansa fly them empty to Malta for servicing

No idea, although there may well be a clause about commercial flying only! ;)

LE Greys

Established Member
Pity, really. The earlier models with the CFM engines really remind me of the Boeing 707, another very elegant aircraft. Besides, there was always more redundancy in case of failure. Still, if the aviation industry had stuck with nicer-looking aircraft, everyone would fly 737s instead of A320 variants, Concorde would never have been retired and the Lockheed Sonic Star would have been chosen over the Boeing 2707, and hundreds would be in service throughout the world. Oh yes, and the Constellation would still be going. :D

And probably climate change would be a lot worse. :?

It's odd that if Branson is so committed to tackling global warming and countering the effects of mass travel by air on the climate, how come he's started Virgin Galagtic. Surely that must do a fair bit of damage to his green credentials?

astock5000

Virgin Atlantic's "4 Engines 4 Long Haul" slogan
It was actually Airbus who first used that slogan, when they attempted to advertise the A340 as being safer than the 777.

The Lufthansa 380 has been there as well but i think it was just visiting.
Yes, it was a special flight, either for training or publicity, I can't remember which this was as Lufthansa have done a lot of special flights with the A380 to various european airports. Their first A380 won't need a C check for about another 6 months, and I think it will probably be done in Frankfurt, as the Qantas A380s are going there for their C checks.

Last edited:

starrymarkb

Established Member
Still, if the aviation industry had stuck with nicer-looking aircraft, everyone would fly 737s instead of A320 variants,

I prefer the styling of the A320s - the 737 always looked ugly to me (being so low to the ground and with those engines...), though I love the look of the 757...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
malta?! Surely if anyone could do their own servicing, Lufthansa could??

Similarly Eurowings (Lufthansa Regional) and Brussels Airlines (amongst others) send their CRJs/E-Jets/BAe146 to Exeter for Maintainance.

Air France and a few US airlines are sending aircraft to China. Malta isn't that far relativly speaking :roll:

Yew

Established Member
Pity, really. The earlier models with the CFM engines really remind me of the Boeing 707, another very elegant aircraft. Besides, there was always more redundancy in case of failure. Still, if the aviation industry had stuck with nicer-looking aircraft, everyone would fly 737s instead of A320 variants, Concorde would never have been retired and the Lockheed Sonic Star would have been chosen over the Boeing 2707, and hundreds would be in service throughout the world. Oh yes, and the Constellation would still be going. :D

And probably climate change would be a lot worse. :?

You mean we would all be flying I dehaviland comets.

starrymarkb

Established Member
I was also going to say that if you want an A340-600 flight for relativly little outlay Iberia are currently using one on Madrid to Heathrow in the evenings. It doesn't run every day but is used as certain trips have more Cargo then an A320 can handle (Pax loadings are light though)

LE Greys

Established Member
You mean we would all be flying I dehaviland comets.

Oh yes, I forgot the Comet 6 (which I think was a scaled-up version that used Rolls-Royce Conways). Pity it never got built, size and performance would have been remarkably similar to the DC-8.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I always feel a little sad when I read about the Comet. It may have been the first, but the problems put paid to it before it had a chance to really take off (excuse the pun).

Anyway, back onto topic - the A340 production lines have been empty for awhile now, I believe and with the A350 fast approaching I didn't see it surviving for much longer. It's a graceful looking aircraft, but like the tri-jets before them, their time has come. The strive for fuel efficiency and the need to be 'green' sees them as less attractive.

Of course, we still have the A380 and 747-8 flying the flag for the 4 engined aircraft. I doubt we'll see another standard 4 engined airliner.

Status
Not open for further replies.