• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

trebor79

Established Member
Wow...stunning acceleration in diesel mode. 0 to 60mph in 57 seconds. 0 to 90mph in 121 seconds. The new king of diesel performance!!
And sorry to say it but the noise of those 4 no V8 Deutz diesel engines - however glorious - is very noticeable - intrusive in fact - on full chat when sitting in the seats nearest the power car. Nowhere near as silent as the coach nearest a HST power car
They are noisy in the first few rows nearest the power unit. But then they aren't at full throttle for very long :).
I'd say the middle to far end of the coaches next the power unit are akin to first coach in an HST or loco hauled stock. Outer carriages are like being on an EMU.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railperf

Established Member
Some further observations: now sitting in the rearmost trailer vehicle close to the drivers cab. It sounds and feels like a modern EMU. Sound insulation is not as good as a Class 800. Both traction motor whine and wheelset noise above the bogie are far noisier than i would have expected and possibly noisier than a Class 170. But its is a huge step change over a Class 15x unit.
The performance of these units starts to make the 75mph and 90mph speed limits of the Norwich to Cambridge route feel quite low. From a Thetford start - maybe downhill - 90mph reached in a ridiculous time of 105 seconds. That's ludicrous

LAX54

Established Member
On Thursday we had the 755 coming back from Bounds Green, it was following 1P32, so we held the 755 outside Colchester, until the Inter City was half way, just over maybe to Ardleigh (181), then have the 755 a green (1027), the 755 had caught 1P32 up and on single yellows, just as the IC service had started to slow up for Manningtree, and by the time 1P32 had stopped in Manningtree, the 755 was past the SY (189) running up to the red (191),

Railperf

Established Member
Maybe Noel lives there, and it's been renamed in his honour ? :)
Or if you spot Noel Edmonds..change to diesel .
On a serious note the power changeover boards at Ely southbound appear to have had the word 'electric' masked with black Gaffer tape.

Railperf

Established Member
On Thursday we had the 755 coming back from Bounds Green, it was following 1P32, so we held the 755 outside Colchester, until the Inter City was half way, just over maybe to Ardleigh (181), then have the 755 a green (1027), the 755 had caught 1P32 up and on single yellows, just as the IC service had started to slow up for Manningtree, and by the time 1P32 had stopped in Manningtree, the 755 was past the SY (189) running up to the red (191),
The Class 90 hauled sets just about reach 100mph by Ardleigh and then start braking early for the downgrade to Manningtree. In the wet they are even worse somtimes failing to hit 90mph by Ardleigh LC. Class 360 drivers brake much later and harder for Manningtree in comparison. On this performance a 755 in diesel mode will way outperform a 90. I cannot wait to sample them in electric mode

trebor79

Established Member
Some further observations: now sitting in the rearmost trailer vehicle close to the drivers cab. It sounds and feels like a modern EMU. Sound insulation is not as good as a Class 800. Both traction motor whine and wheelset noise above the bogie are far noisier than i would have expected and possibly noisier than a Class 170. But its is a huge step change over a Class 15x unit.
Agree about wheelset noise when over the bogies. It is louder than would be expected. However, perhaps that's because of the low floor? On a 170 there's a bigger air gap between the floor of the vehicle and the wheels.
The sweet spot for peace and quite on a flirt is in the middle of one of the end vehicles. No engine noise and the wheel set and traction motor whine is distant.
800 traction motor noise can be comically loud until about 40mph, dependant upon where you sit.

trebor79

Established Member
On Thursday we had the 755 coming back from Bounds Green,
What was a 755 doing at Bounds Green? I know the loco hauled sets go there for maintenance sometimes. Are they still finishing off crown point depot so some of the flirts gi there for maintenance too?

dk1

Veteran Member
What was a 755 doing at Bounds Green? I know the loco hauled sets go there for maintenance sometimes. Are they still finishing off crown point depot so some of the flirts gi there for maintenance too?
Tyre turning.

LAX54

Established Member

tyre turning
edit...DOH!

Adrian1980uk

Is it a bit too soon to be thinking of tightening timetables as the performance would allow it, obviously there are a lot of other factors in this

LAX54

Established Member
Is it a bit too soon to be thinking of tightening timetables as the performance would allow it, obviously there are a lot of other factors in this
I would have thought not until the fleet has been replaced, as it will really muck up the timetables, with 153's / 156's trying to maintain what a 755 can do.
(Can you imagine the carnage on the Felixstowe with 755 timings covered by a 153 :) ) and I can't see any changes in DEC 19 WTT

ac6000cw

Established Member
New and old on the Breckland line today - I'm on 755418 (11:09 ex Cambridge), behind us is a steam special with B1 61306 'Mayflower' on the front and a WCRC 47 on the rear ☺️.

Last edited:

Railperf

Established Member
I would have thought not until the fleet has been replaced, as it will really muck up the timetables, with 153's / 156's trying to maintain what a 755 can do.
(Can you imagine the carnage on the Felixstowe with 755 timings covered by a 153 :) ) and I can't see any changes in DEC 19 WTT
And dwell times at busy stations seem to be greater due to only one set of leaf doors per coach.
Carnage today with a family of four trying to bring bikes aboard when three bikes were already on board. It took staff a while to sort that out. Seems the promise of extra bike spaces is becoming a victim of its own success. Fortunately this was at Cambridge during turn around time. But it will cost time at intermediate stations if a similar issue occurs.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
When I was on a FLIRT to Yarmouth a few weeks ago it was very slow getting off, much worse than a 156/170 but not a huge problem as Yarmouth is the terminus so it's not going to impact on dwell times there.

My biggest worry will be on other lines where there is a large amount of disembarking and boarding at intermediate stations, be particularly interesting on trains between Ipswich and Bury in the morning where masses board at Stowmarket, masses get off at Bury and a good few more get on at Bury.

delticdave

Agree about wheelset noise when over the bogies. It is louder than would be expected. However, perhaps that's because of the low floor? On a 170 there's a bigger air gap between the floor of the vehicle and the wheels.
The sweet spot for peace and quite on a flirt is in the middle of one of the end vehicles. No engine noise and the wheel set and traction motor whine is distant.
800 traction motor noise can be comically loud until about 40mph, dependant upon where you sit.

Agreed, except on jointed track (eg to / from Lowestoft) the ride over the articulated bogie is noisy & heavy. I've ridden a few Stadler articulated emu's in Germany recently & the only difference in ride quality is the traction-motor noise from the front & rear bogies.

The round trip from Norwich to Cambridge was much nicer (better track?) but sometimes surprisingly slow, (75 mph), I'm wondering if the Flirts are limited to lower speeds than other DMU's? (I really don't know the published line limits, or where to find them........)

Other thoughts, I was riding in 755410, supposedly on NC73 diagram, but when it arrived in Norwich to form 2J78 / 1405 to Lowestoft it hadn't arrived from Crown Point, 'cos it discharged many passengers from Lowestoft. I'm confused...+
I did notice 755405 +another stabled at Cambridge, + at least 3 7553xx at Crown Point, 745003 in Norwich platform 2 from 1130 to 1145 at least. Some of the station name-boards are being replaced with GA's own style & both N/East bound platforms at Witham have stop-boards for "Class 755, 3-8 cars". Would we ever expect to see 755's in service that far south?

Railperf

Established Member
Despite all the talk about how comfy these seats are...i prefer the Class 170. The cushioning is very very firm. They look more comfortable...but the lumbar contours don't suit my very straight back. And you can't lay back in them as you can on a 170. Subjectively these do not seem to be any more or less comfortable than Class 700 or 800 'ironing boards'.

Railperf

Established Member
The round trip from Norwich to Cambridge was much nicer (better track?) but sometimes surprisingly slow, (75 mph), I'm wondering if the Flirts are limited to lower speeds than other DMU's? (I really don't know the published line limits, or where to find them........)
There are a few sections of 90mph track between Norwich and Cambridge. And lots of 75 mph sections too. At least the FLIRT gets up to speed more quickly to take advantage of them. Performance is in a different league to a 170.

On a side note..what are the issues west of Attleborough? Is there a level crossing fault?

dk1

Veteran Member
Is it a bit too soon to be thinking of
Agreed, except on jointed track (eg to / from Lowestoft) the ride over the articulated bogie is noisy & heavy. I've ridden a few Stadler articulated emu's in Germany recently & the only difference in ride quality is the traction-motor noise from the front & rear bogies.

Most of the Norwich to Cambridge route is 75mph. The only sections are between Eccles Road & Brandon/Lakenheath & short sections near Attleborough & Waterbeach (down line only) where there is some 80/90mph running.

Railperf

Established Member
The bike situation is causing issues. On this summer saturday..lots of people are turning up with bikes and being turned away. This is causing frustration and mild arguments. Three young girls occupying the three fold down seats have been asked to move by the TM - fortunately there is space on this train otherwise i can see some very annoyed passengers in future being asked to give up their seats for a bike.
I won't be surprised if a new policy regarding bikes is introduced if staff report too much hassle.

trebor79

Established Member
On a side note..what are the issues west of Attleborough? Is there a level crossing fault?
Not sure. I took my son to see Mayflower following the tip off (thanks @ac6000cw). Drove over the crossing and was very surprised to glance right and see the Norwich train and an eastbound EMR both stationary. Crossing went down and both trains went on their way. The following westbound EMR and Mayflower both went through at line speed so whatever the issue was it's no longer present.
It's normal for a Norwich train that's stopped at Attleborough to depart slowly until the signal clears, not unknown for it to stop for a few moments. But I've never known trains to stop just before the station in the other direction.

LowLevel

Established Member
The bike situation is causing issues. On this summer saturday..lots of people are turning up with bikes and being turned away. This is causing frustration and mild arguments. Three young girls occupying the three fold down seats have been asked to move by the TM - fortunately there is space on this train otherwise i can see some very annoyed passengers in future being asked to give up their seats for a bike.
I won't be surprised if a new policy regarding bikes is introduced if staff report too much hassle.

Tip up seats are tip up seats because they're only there to be used if the area they're located in isn't otherwise required. Hence if you sit on them there should be no expectation of being able to remain in them.

RailWonderer

Established Member
Some of the station name-boards are being replaced with GA's own style & both N/East bound platforms at Witham have stop-boards for "Class 755, 3-8 cars". Would we ever expect to see 755's in service that far south?

755s will run from Lowestoft through Ipswich into Liverpool Street, presumably calling at Witham on the way, and will fill in for 745s if need be since there clearly aren’t enough of them. Flexibility of rolling stock is important. It’s no good to have to cancel a train because a stand in train isn’t cleared or crews don’t sign it. Clear them everywhere and as long as the relevant driver and guard is trained on them, then run it there.
755s and 745s will have to be signed at Liverpool Street eventually to work the inbound services to Norwich/Lowestoft - Crown Point.

dk1

Veteran Member
1340/1509 have seen the 755 substituted by a 153 due to driver not signing the new order. Bet that'll be cosy.

Railperf

Established Member
1340/1509 have seen the 755 substituted by a 153 due to driver not signing the new order. Bet that'll be cosy.
That's why 418 ended up on the middle road at Norwich between 4 and 5 then!

Not sure. I took my son to see Mayflower following the tip off (thanks @ac6000cw). Drove over the crossing and was very surprised to glance right and see the Norwich train and an eastbound EMR both stationary. Crossing went down and both trains went on their way. The following westbound EMR and Mayflower both went through at line speed so whatever the issue was it's no longer present.
It's normal for a Norwich train that's stopped at Attleborough to depart slowly until the signal clears, not unknown for it to stop for a few moments. But I've never known trains to stop just before the station in the other direction.

There is a speed limit over the crossing that goes over the Thetford to Watton road, would say its a temporary speed limit but been temporary since the boxes were taken out of use in 2012,

The trains stop until the barriers come down then they go again

DK1 will be along in a minute and will let us know what the problem is there

Railperf

Established Member
Are all platforms in use at Gt Yarmouth? Seems crazy to assign the xx:56 to Gt Yarmouth a 15 minute dwell at Acle rather than run it straight to Gt Yarmouth and sit alongside the outgoing xx:28. It would likely arrive early enough to prevent a conflict. And as it is 't booked a pax stop, you cannot get out and have a walk around either.