• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

trebor79

Established Member
Provided there's a 25 kV or lower voltage electrical connection between power cars, then only one pantograph isn't a problem Class 755 have a power connection between power cars in order to distribute the power from the diesel generators. Many types of train have two pantographs, but equally many types have only one. Pendolinos, for example, have two pantographs but only use one at a time. Conversely, Desiro and Electrostar 4-car units only have one pantograph, and if run in multiple have to have all the pantographs raised.

Single pantograph units have been operated for decades very reliably. In the particular case of the class 755s, if the pantograph were to fail, they would still be able to get out of the way on diesel power!
Yes if you watch a 755 change over from diesel to electric you can watch the breakers close on the roof near the power unit (often with a spark and "crack" sound).
There's no high voltage connection between units working in multiple, AFAIK.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

100andthirty

Yes if you watch a 755 change over from diesel to electric you can watch the breakers close on the roof near the power unit (often with a spark and "crack" sound).
There's no high voltage connection between units working in multiple, AFAIK.
I'm not surprised there's no 25kV connection on class 755 (unlike the Pendolinos) as there's the diesel-generator-voltage connection.

Misread previous post!

Last edited:

ac6000cw

Established Member
There is 25kV connections within the unit, but not between units working in multiple.
Yes, and I *think* I remember reading that the electric traction equipment is fully modular, so the equipment for each power bogie is fed by its own transformer, rather than sharing a larger/heavier one - this would necessitate a 25kV bus line within the unit. I assume part of the reason for this is the articulated, low-floor design, which leaves limited space under the floor for equipment.

Mike99

With services from Ipswich to Cambridge, I've noticed that the 755's swop power modes at Stowmarket station. (I'm not saying that's every occasion just the ones I've seen)

Shunter_69

The only time that won’t happen heading to Cambridge/Peterborough is when the unit is already in Diesel mode. The will switch to Electric there on the way back

RailWonderer

Established Member
Is there any plan to run 755s south of Ipswich in DOO or will it be guard only? Class 170s were able to run DOO south of Ipswich but needed a guard when in multiple. If not then 755s will probably only be used on IC workings.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Is there any plan to run 755s south of Ipswich in DOO or will it be guard only? Class 170s were able to run DOO south of Ipswich but needed a guard when in multiple. If not then 755s will probably only be used on IC workings.
Do they not already run DOO between Ipswich and Colchester (for the various Peterborough services that start/end at the latter)?

Sleepy

Established Member
Currently they'll be worked by guards.

Sleepy

Established Member
I don’t know of any definite service plans but will certainly be a huge help if short of 745s now trains are so busy once again.
From 25th April until 13th May 1232 Norwich - Liverpool St. and 1500 return are booked to be 755/4 × 2 then as from 16th May this will be planned to be 1132 from Norwich and 1400 return from London.

dk1

Veteran Member
From 25th April until 13th May 1232 Norwich - Liverpool St. and 1500 return are booked to be 755/4 × 2 then as from 16th May this will be planned to be 1132 from Norwich and 1400 return from London.
Two of my regular jobs so should pick them up at some point.

Just looked at drivers modified diagrams next week & they are still shown as 745s on both those workings.

Last edited:

chubs

How are they so short of 745's with reduced timetable on the StanEx? Are loads out of service, and if so what's the delay getting them working again?

I know it's better than nothing but even when coupled up 755's aren't ideal on the mainline.

ashkeba

Established Member
Units being prepped at the depot shortly.
5P37 1205 Norwich C.Pt. T.&R.S.M.D to Norwich
1P37 1232 Norwich to London Liverpool Street
1P38 1500 London Liverpool Street to Norwich
5P38 1659 Norwich to Norwich C.Pt. T.&R.S.M.D

Railperf

Established Member
Just seen the pair - i did wonder if it would be a pair of 321s. Pleasant surprise to see the 755s. Both unit pans up btw. So assuming both on AC power.
Seems as though the 745/1s are less reliable than the 745/0s

Jim-s

Thanks all above for posting the info, It was a good sight to see passing thru marks tey on the 1232, not used to seing them at speed or on electric let alone a pair of them,
The “squawk” of the horn as described by my daughter is still an amusing sound to me

Bikeman78

Established Member
Just seen the pair - i did wonder if it would be a pair of 321s. Pleasant surprise to see the 755s. Both unit pans up btw. So assuming both on AC power.
Seems as though the 745/1s are less reliable than the 745/0s
745103 is the worst offender. To be fair, the 745/1 spend far longer out in service between depot visits.