• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

trebor79

Established Member
A second Cambridge to Stansted would be great, the XCs are very crowded by the time they reach Cambridge. Could they maybe also run it to Bury?
That's an interesting thought, maybe even a Norwich - Ipswich via Ely and Bury.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ac6000cw

Established Member
I wonder if an hourly Norwich - Ely could slot in on the Breckland? Or even go the whole hog and run it to Cambridge or Stansted?
A second Cambridge to Stansted would be great, the XCs are very crowded by the time they reach Cambridge. Could they maybe also run it to Bury?
Remember there are various capacity issues in the Ely area. Each way off-peak, there's already 2tph Ely - Norwich (GA+EMR), 2.5tph Ely - Peterborough (XC+EMR+GA) and 4tph Ely - Cambridge (GN+GA+XC). Plus all the freight and Ely - Kings Lynn trains. The train activity at Ely is almost non-stop at times. Cambridge - Norwich is also possible with one change via Stowmarket, as an alternative to the direct service.

I don't see any significant increases in train frequencies through Ely happening until the North Junction upgrade project goes ahead.

wagnaga

Remember there are various capacity issues in the Ely area. Each way off-peak, there's already 2tph Ely - Norwich (GA+EMR), 2.5tph Ely - Peterborough (XC+EMR+GA) and 4tph Ely - Cambridge (GN+GA+XC). Plus all the freight and Ely - Kings Lynn trains. The train activity at Ely is almost non-stop at times. Cambridge - Norwich is also possible with one change via Stowmarket, as an alternative to the direct service.

I don't see any significant increases in train frequencies through Ely happening until the North Junction upgrade project goes ahead.
It feels like the Ely junction is quite a stranglehold to a large part of the east. It's a shame it just doesn't get recognised as important enough to be progressed without further delay.

dk1

Veteran Member
I wonder if an hourly Norwich - Ely could slot in on the Breckland? Or even go the whole hog and run it to Cambridge or Stansted?
Long term plans for half hourly Norwich to Cambridge but like King Lynn it all rests on Ely North Junction re-doubling.

Why this government dithers on upgrading this strategic Junction baffles me.

trebor79

Established Member
Remember there are various capacity issues in the Ely area. Each way off-peak, there's already 2tph Ely - Norwich (GA+EMR), 2.5tph Ely - Peterborough (XC+EMR+GA) and 4tph Ely - Cambridge (GN+GA+XC). Plus all the freight and Ely - Kings Lynn trains. The train activity at Ely is almost non-stop at times.
That is true, however there is a period each hour where there are no movements at all for about 15 or 20 minutes, other than maybe one freight.

Long term plans for half hourly Norwich to Cambridge but like King Lynn it all rests on Ely North Junction re-doubling.

Indeed. It must be much better value that some of the other projects that have been approved.

Mikey C

Established Member

You imagine that if the plans for major expansion of Cambridge come to fruition, this is the sort of work that will have to happen

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Remember that it’s not just Ely. Sorting out Ely by itself resolves nothing (other than a few performance issues). Increasing train paths drives other changes, notably to level crossings and signalling over a fairly wide area , which is why the project is known as the “Ely Area Capacity Improvement”.

Re a second Norwich / Cambridge to Stansted - there is no capacity for any more services to Stansted without a second tunnel or new route to the airport.

ac6000cw

Established Member
It feels like the Ely junction is quite a stranglehold to a large part of the east. It's a shame it just doesn't get recognised as important enough to be progressed without further delay.
I think pretty much any infrastructure project on this sort of scale takes a long time - not far away from Ely, the recent major, A14 Cambridge - Huntingdon improvement project cost £1.5 billion and took 15 years from public consultations opening to completion, with various re-designs, scope changes, pauses and cancellations along the way (most of them for 'too expensive/not value for money' reasons). After it finally got the go ahead in 2013, it took three years to get development consent and then four years to construct, opening in 2020. That was for 12 miles of new, almost motorway-standard, A-road plus 5 miles of new local roads and 34 bridges and other structures - see https://assets.highwaysengland.co.u...D20_0026+A14+end+of+scheme+brochure+FINAL.pdf. (And that's for a nationally-important trunk road link that joins the M11 and A14 (east) with the A1 and A14 (west) and carries around 85,000 vehicles per day, 26% of them HGVs).

As the current 'Ely Area Capacity Improvement' proposals have a projected cost of around £0.5 billion it's not surprising to me that the 'too expensive/not value for money' problem is rearing it's head...

Haywain

Veteran Member
Remember that it’s not just Ely. Sorting out Ely by itself resolves nothing (other than a few performance issues). Increasing train paths drives other changes, notably to level crossings and signalling over a fairly wide area , which is why the project is known as the “Ely Area Capacity Improvement”.
Doesn't that project also include redoubling the line from Ely to Soham?

Rick1984

That’s only possible on the main line. Regional stopping services services can only accommodate 4-cars at most intermediate stations.

Yes ASDO is set up to only open the required amount of vehicles but on resignalled routes like Yarmouth/Lowestoft trains are not allowed to overhang or foul foot or level crossings. At stations like Cambridge where platforms 5/6 are often used, these will not accommodate more than one 755. The same is the case with Ipswich platform 1. You could say run them in multiple Norwich-Yarmouth/Lowestoft but only non-stop.

At Stansted Airport the Norwich service relies upon sharing a platform with a 745 so again anything more than a single unit is prohibited.
Ah fair enough. Thought you might get away with 6 cars

ac6000cw

Established Member
Doesn't that project also include redoubling the line from Ely to Soham?
No.

From memory, there are various proposed changes in the Ely station area to improve freight speeds/make it easier to path freight trains through there.

This post (from 3 years ago!) has a summary of the proposed changes - https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/ely-north-junction-upgrade-proposals.68376/post-4832651

Increase in capacity for 10 tph through Ely
Removal of speed restrictions over the two River Ouse bridges
Remodelling of the layout at Ely
Modifying platforms at Ely
Remodelling Ely North Junction
Upgrading signalling
Upgrading or closing 126 level crossings

Completed by 2031.
...and this is the NR page about it - https://www.networkrail.co.uk/runni...lway-in-anglia/ely-area-capacity-enhancement/

In brief, it's about adding 2.5 passenger and 1 freight train paths per hour (so lifting capacity from 6.5 to 10 tph in total) in each direction through Ely, for around £0.5 billion capital cost.

Last edited:

chubs

There's still some gaps in the current Norwich - Stansted service too (trains just go Norwich - Cambridge and you have to change like in the old days), would be nice to see them filled in if / when possible.

dk1

Veteran Member
There's still some gaps in the current Norwich - Stansted service too (trains just go Norwich - Cambridge and you have to change like in the old days), would be nice to see them filled in if / when possible.

That’s not possible SX at the moment and hasn’t been since they were extended to the airport in 2019. It’s to do with being unable to marry up pathing in the peaks between north & south of Cambridge. I did hear the rehashing of the timetables was going to help but everything WA wise is on hold until the delayed ECML timetables upgrade gets implemented.

Energy

Established Member
Question: Do 3 755’s accelerate faster than one 745?
Yes, the powered bogeys are under the driving cab and either side of the electrical corridor of the 745. 4 powered bogeys on a 745 compared to 3x2 on 3x755s.

As a number 0.9m/s^2 for a 745, 1.1m/s^2 for a 4 car 755 and 1.3m/s^2 for 3 car 755.

dk1

Veteran Member
The 755s have called at Chelmsford many times. Step ups at Norwich frequently take them onto the stopping services.

RailWonderer

Established Member
I've had some of them on Stratford calls, so it's not unknown for them to run on the semi fasts.
GA really needs to join know your train on realtimetrains so we can see what is booked on the day, I’m fed up of trying for months now and never seeing one on a semi fast.

Are you just lucky? Without know your train, doing haulage is just pot luck.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
GA really needs to join know your train on realtimetrains so we can see what is booked on the day, I’m fed up of trying for months now and never seeing one on a semi fast.

I'd already got them all for haulage; they turned up while I was spinning 720s - in one instance, I needed to dash back to Liverpool Street to catch something required that I'd passed just short of Stratford so I was getting the next up working regardless of what it was - and a triple 755 was what arrived...

LowLevel

Established Member

Up until recently, bar a select few with access to internal railway systems that could be wrong anyway, it's been pot luck for the last couple of centuries :lol:

How quickly RTT has spoiled us!

Bornin1980s

Don't know if this has been brought up before, but do the four car units really need twice the installed diesel power of the three car units? I understand why an even number of engines would be desirable for weight balance, but there must be cheaper ways of doing that than an unused engine? Or do the four cars ever run with all four engines?

dk1

Veteran Member
Don't know if this has been brought up before, but do the four car units really need twice the installed diesel power of the three car units? I understand why an even number of engines would be desirable for weight balance, but there must be cheaper ways of doing that than an unused engine? Or do the four cars ever run with all four engines?

I would say that recently the chances of having all four engines has grown considerably. During the last year or so it was far more common to have one isolated. That might be down to the engine change program.

Trainbike46

Established Member
If I understand correctly, the three car units have blocks of weight installed instead of the missing engines. If that's right, has consideration been given to putting in traction batteries instead (with the same weight)?

dk1

Veteran Member
If I understand correctly, the three car units have blocks of weight installed instead of the missing engines. If that's right, has consideration been given to putting in traction batteries instead (with the same weight)?
Yes it has been but not taken any further so far.