• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia- trainee train drivers/ trainee depot drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mmbeak78

I was told depot driver wage is a few hundred over 27k, however that figure will increase in the coming months. There is no trainee salary for depot driver you go straight into full salary.

What I did want to ask is an explanation about the 8 weeks work and then 2 weeks off rota, didn't fully understand what that means or implies.

Also, does anyone know how long training lasts when transitioning from depot to mainline driver internally?

I got the job as depot driver at ilford and will be starting on July 3rd pending medical and reference checks. Anybody else with the same start?

That's great news - Congrats! No option of Liverpool Street at all?

FlashingMoon

I was told depot driver wage is a few hundred over 27k, however that figure will increase in the coming months. There is no trainee salary for depot driver you go straight into full salary.

What I did want to ask is an explanation about the 8 weeks work and then 2 weeks off rota, didn't fully understand what that means or implies.

Also, does anyone know how long training lasts when transitioning from depot to mainline driver internally?

I got the job as depot driver at ilford and will be starting on July 3rd pending medical and reference checks. Anybody else with the same start?
Hi SheikG,
I had my DMI last week too and was told exactly what you have mentioned. Have they contacted you since the interview?
Thanks

Last edited:

332 > 444

Oh they let you know already? I ain't heard anything since my interview but I'm going with GTR anyway as I was successful with their interview the week before. Did you find their interview very different?

Shunter_69

The current roster of 8/2 weeks means you work 8 weeks of anywhere between 4 and 7 days of earlies, lates or nights and then have 2 weeks off which is made up of accrued rest days and 4 days annual leave. You also get 5 days annual leave to book when you want (subject to local rules on numbers off).

Southend do a slightly different roster of 7weeks/2 weeks off followed by 5weeks / 2 weeks off.

You can work on your 2 weeks off if jobs are available and you want the overtime. You are officially only allowed to work 4 days of each week but that is ignored if need be.

KFRM

The current roster of 8/2 weeks means you work 8 weeks of anywhere between 4 and 7 days of earlies, lates or nights and then have 2 weeks off which is made up of accrued rest days and 4 days annual leave. You also get 5 days annual leave to book when you want (subject to local rules on numbers off).

Southend do a slightly different roster of 7weeks/2 weeks off followed by 5weeks / 2 weeks off.

You can work on your 2 weeks off if jobs are available and you want the overtime. You are officially only allowed to work 4 days of each week but that is ignored if need be.

Does this mean that whilst working those 8 weeks, you get no R/D at all, but you get a 2 week period of R/D at the end of those shifts?

Also, you mention the pay increase has been agreed? Do you know when it comes into effect?

Shunter_69

You work anywhere between 4 and 7 days in each of the 8 weeks.

Pay rise comes in May I believe.

Plenty of Rest Day work available at Ilford

Hope that helps.

Shunter_69

At Ilford it's usually 3 sets of nights in an 8 week block. It's fairly even with earlies and lates too.

Nights are either 2000 to 0500, 2100 to 0600, 2200 to 06:30, and 2 x 22:30 to 06:30. There are 2 x night spare shifts too.

Earlies are 2 x 0530 to 1300, 0600 to 1430 and 0700 to 1430 plus a mix of spares.

Lates are 1230 to 2000, 2 x 1400 to 2130 and 1430 to 2030 with a mix of spare shifts too

Weekends are generally 8 hours. 0600 and 0700 (both days) 1400 and 1500 (sat) 1430 (sun) 2100, 2200 and 2300 Saturday and 3 x 2200 and 3 x 2300 Sunday

Can't speak for other depots.

Shunter_69

You get free travel on GA but can also use TFL rail and LO that used to be part of GA (spouse can't). There is a reciprocal agreement with c2c so you can use them too. Scotrail and merseyrail also free as part of Abellio. No travelcard though.

RyanE1991

Just got the call to say I've passed my medical, very very relieved and happy, can't wait to get started next month.

FlashingMoon

Got the Depot Driver job too, thanks God :D, Finally on the track,
Start date 3rd July 2017, Medical booked.

Wish you all good luck who are still in process of their applications.

Last edited:

D1972

Congratulations to all you guys that have start dates, well done. Can I just ask how long you had to wait from passing your mmi to getting your dm interview .

FlashingMoon

Congratulations to all you guys that have start dates, well done. Can I just ask how long you had to wait from passing your mmi to getting your dm interview .

It depends on the available dates, in my case, it took 5 weeks to be booked for DMI

train_lover

Hi guys,
So I applied for this role and got an email confirming that I had been successful. In the email I was told I would be informed of when the psychometric are but haven't heard anything since. I've emailed twice but to no avail. Is anyone else in the same boat as myself?

Al8oy

Hi guys,
So I applied for this role and got an email confirming that I had been successful. In the email I was told I would be informed of when the psychometric are but haven't heard anything since. I've emailed twice but to no avail. Is anyone else in the same boat as myself?

Same here. Not heard anything since an update email from Amy Grigg on 13th Feb saying they'll let me know assessment dates soon.

CaseyJones

Any more news from anyone? Medical emails? Still waiting to hear about a confirmed start date for me...

DiddlyDat

Any more news from anyone? Medical emails? Still waiting to hear about a confirmed start date for me...

Yep, passed my medical and confirmed start date of 22nd May. Surprised you haven't been given a date yet. I'm sure GA will be in contact soon.

KFRM

Yep, passed my medical and confirmed start date of 22nd May. Surprised you haven't been given a date yet. I'm sure GA will be in contact soon.

Excellent news. Where are you going to be based? Did you get mainline or depot?

CaseyJones

Was told on the phone that there was also an internal recruitment process going on, this might push any start date back a bit. August or September was a mooted date.

KFRM

Was told on the phone that there was also an internal recruitment process going on, this might push any start date back a bit. August or September was a mooted date.

I was told July for Ilford depot. I'm still waiting on medical results.

CaseyJones

Great to hear. By the way what was the crux of the medical/ what did it consist of? I take it it is carried out by a GA approved medical and not just your local GP?

DiddlyDat

Great to hear. By the way what was the crux of the medical/ what did it consist of? I take it it is carried out by a GA approved medical and not just your local GP?

Thanks. No I had to go to a private GP based near Liverpool Street station. They give you a sight and hearing test, ECG, take your blood pressure, a colour blindness test, check you have basic physical capability (that you can get up from your knees) and measure your height and weight. They also take a strict urine test to make sure you haven't taken any noxious substances.

Status
Not open for further replies.