• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aberdeen to Penzance Train.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thaitransit

I was trying to find out the cost of a Aberdeen to Penzance train but I found some problems. I am wondering what I am doing wrong.

1st problem:

I went to cross country website the train company that runs the Aberdeen to Penzance train. However I could only find the service in the southbound direction. It appears there is no return train? No idea how the train gets back to Aberdeen?

2nd problem:

Was the extremely high price of the tickets a first class ticket was well over 700 British Pounds one way! This in Australian Dollars is about $1500 almost the cost of a flight from Melbourne to London in economy! I wouldn't have expected this train to be anymore than AUD$ 200 each way.

I was looking for a Friday train 8/12/23 and a Monday train 11/12/2023. I would perfer a direct train to avoid any dodgy connections anywhere. Must be a first class ticket for space reasons.

Perhaps a road coach or direct flight (must be business class) could be cheaper option?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

m00036

Timetables in Great Britain are changed twice a year, one of which happens to be on 10/12/2023. CrossCountry have not yet confirmed their new timetables yet, hence why there are no services listed on 11/12/2023. That said, you are right in saying that there is only one direct service between Aberdeen and Penzance per day currently which runs in the southbound direction only so you would need to change for the reverse journey.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I went to cross country website the train company that runs the Aberdeen to Penzance train. However I could only find the service in the southbound direction. It appears there is no return train? No idea how the train gets back to Aberdeen?
The return is Fridays & Saturdays only at present, terminating Edinburgh the other days. (1S45 0927 ex-Plymouth is the working.)

In any case, the southbound service is formed off an ECS from Edinburgh, which then becomes a local passenger from Dundee:

5A01 0520 Craigentinny to Dundee

2A01 0642 Dundee to Aberdeen https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:G59637/2023-10-02/detailed

When there is a northbound working to Aberdeen it returns south to Edinburgh rather than overnighting.

m00036

If you really want to do the direct train, the cheapest I can currently find is the advance 1st class price of £429 on 08/12/2023, as previously mentioned there are currently no prices for the 11/12/2023. Depending on how much travel you're doing in between, you definitely shouldn't be paying more than the All Line Rover (First Class, 7 days) cost of £866 (1/3 off if you're eligible for and buy a railcard, e.g. if you're under 30 or over 60). Personally, the CrossCountry service (in either class) and the thought of travelling for 12 hours on it would really put me off, there are YouTube videos of people who have done it if you're interested :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was trying to find out the cost of a Aberdeen to Penzance train but I found some problems. I am wondering what I am doing wrong.

1st problem:

This service is charged at a premium; the only people who do it end-to-end are almost exclusively travel enthusiasts who are on passes or prepared to pay the premium.

You'll be the only passenger on from end-to-end, almost certainly.

Heading to Aberdeen you'd need to change.
2nd problem:

Was the extremely high price of the tickets a first class ticket was well over 700 British Pounds one way! This in Australian Dollars is about $1500 almost the cost of a flight from Melbourne to London in economy! I wouldn't have expected this train to be anymore than AUD$ 200 each way.
The operator of this train charges a high premium. If you want to reduce the cost, either use a pass of some sort (depending on eligibility and other journeys you may be making), or book through our site; we will offer a combination of tickets at a lower price than the through fare, if at all possible.

CrossCountry offers a very poor service at a very high cost; it is a better quality journey, much cheaper, and a similar journey time, to travel via London.
I was looking for a Friday train 8/12/23 and a Monday train 11/12/2023. I would perfer a direct train to avoid any dodgy connections anywhere. Must be a first class ticket for space reasons.
You'd be better off travelling via London and using our site, we allow you to specify extra interchange time if you wish. By default we do offer fares via London Paddington but if you want to see the best quality journeys only, you can specify Paddington as a via point; you will get a lower fare, light meals included and if all goes well have plenty of time in the lounge(s) at Paddington and/or King's Cross.

This is what we offer by default in value mode:
1696155511000.png
The 219.10 fare includes two light meals on LNER as well as light refreshments in the lounge at Paddington and on board the GWR train. Plenty of drinks will be available. By default we provide ample 74 mins interchange time; this is more than sufficient time and if a delay to LNER caused you to miss GWR, you would be entitled to take the next train and claim delay compensation.

If you want a longer connection, you can specify extra interchange time at Paddington and this would enable you to take the 0752 and step back onto a later train from Paddington if you wish (personally I see no advantage in doing this, but it's your choice to make!)

The direct train may not offer any food whatsoever except you may get a sandwich or perhaps a poor quality bacon roll if you are lucky, along with unhealthy snacks such as poor quality crisps and mediocre biscuits; if you do pay the premium for this direct train you are strongly advised to take your own food!
Perhaps a road coach
I can't get the National Express site to provide an itinerary, but the fastest coach journey appears to involve 4 coaches and take approximately 22 hours.
or direct flight (must be business class) could be cheaper option?
No direct flights are available (edit: see below regarding economy-only flights from Aberdeen to Newquay via Manchester)

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There's a through Aberdeen to Penzance service in the southbound direction Mondays-Saturdays - in the northbound direction, the closest you can get is Penzance to Edinburgh, or Plymouth to Aberdeen on Fridays & Saturdays.

The Aberdeen the Penzance service is formed by a train which runs empty from Craigentinny depot (near Edinburgh) to Dundee, then in service from Dundee to Aberdeen (bizarrely it runs non-stop, being the only train to do so over this section - see here). The reverse happens (albeit running in service back to Edinburgh) for northbound CrossCountry services to Aberdeen, as XC don't have a depot at Aberdeen.

I also really couldn't recommend making the journey using the direct train. It's a very long way to go, and though you'd get some drinks and light snacks in first class, you'd definitely want to bring your own food. The only food & drink available for purchase is from a trolley - there's no buffet, nor is there (normally) hot food. You'd be on a Voyager train with a fairly loud underfloor engine, so it's not the most comfortable way to travel such a long distance, regardless of class of travel.

I'd far sooner fly (see below), or if travelling by rail I'd go via London to break up the journey. The trains you'd use to/from London (Hitachi class 80x) are quite a bit quieter and more comfortable (in my opinion). The onboard catering, at least between Aberdeen and London, would also be a lot more comprehensive. If you timed it right, you could even take a train with proper Pullman dining service between London and Plymouth.

I'm not sure where you're getting £700 from? The cost of an Anytime First Single for that journey, when avoiding London, is £429. You should be able to do it for a lot less than this with Advance tickets (these tie you to a specific train), as well as if you buy a combination of tickets (known as split ticketing - this doesn't entail additional changes, it just means you might have an Aberdeen-Edinburgh and Edinburgh-Penzance ticket for instance).

You could alternatively use a Britrail (GB only - see here) or Eurail (Europe-wide - see here) rail pass. That would likely save you money just on this journey, let alone any other journeys you may undertake in Britain or Europe on your trip.

I was looking for a Friday train 8/12/23 and a Monday train 11/12/2023. I would perfer a direct train to avoid any dodgy connections anywhere.
That's understandable, but where are you actually travelling to and from, and what are your wider travel plans? This may help us to suggest the best option.

Overall, British trains, and particularly CrossCountry, are fairly reliable (other operators such as TransPennine Express and Northern, less so). If you allowed, say, 30 minutes for a connection, you'd be pretty unlucky to miss it. The other key thing is that there's a frequent service along most lines, so if you miss your connection it's unlikely to be a big deal. There's at least 1-2 trains an hour along the route between Aberdeen and Penzance - on many sections, more than that.

Perhaps a road coach or direct flight (must be business class) could be cheaper option?
There's no direct coach - the market between Aberdeen and Penzance (and most intermediate cities) is quite small. You'd probably need to take a coach from Aberdeen to London (12+ hours) and London to Penzance (8+ hours), but frankly you'd have to be a glutton for punishment to do so! Given that you say first or business class is a must, I can't exactly see this being a suitable option for your travels.

Aberdeen has an airport that's fairly close to the city centre (you can take a short bus or taxi from the city centre). The nearest airports to Penzance are Land's End Airport (but this only has flights to the Scilly Isles) or Newquay (a 1-hour, 40 mile taxi or 2-hour, 1-change bus-ride away). Newquay town has a station (a short bus journey from the airport), but the line takes you the 'wrong' way to Par, where you'd have to change again for Penzance, so it takes quite a bit longer than taking the bus all the way.

There's a daily Loganair flight from Aberdeen to Newquay that involves a stop in Manchester. I think you can stay on the plane, but the website isn't entirely clear on this point. There's no business class on this flight, nor is there on any other flights to Newquay.

It's worth noting that most business class flights within Europe involve the same seating layout as economy, but with the seat next to you blocked off. The main advantages are to do with the airport experience (usually you get fast track security, lounge access & priority boarding), luggage allowance, sitting towards the front of the aircraft and being served food & drink.

Loganair is more of a full service carrier, so you get many of these things anyway. Aberdeen isn't a huge airport and the plane only has 70-odd seats, so fast track etc. wouldn't really offer you huge advantages on this sort of flight.

paul1609

Established Member
If you seriously want to do this journey it's best done multi modal, without knowing full details I'd suggest:
Megabus Aberdeen to Edinburgh Airport.
Easyjet to Bristol
Megabus Falcon to Plymouth
Walk/local bus/taxi to Plymouth Station
Rail to Penzance
This would be considerably cheaper and quicker than rail throughout.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I've done the journey a couple of times, and aside from the novelty of being on a 13-hour train ride, it's not spectacular in any way. I would rate the first class Voyager seats as slightly more comfortable than LNER's, but that's a matter of personal preference. If set on rail, go via London.

TheSmiths82

The Voyager trains are not great, for a diesels they are decent, very quiet and are smooth enough. The issue is the seats and the pitch, they feel very cramped and I would not want to spend 3 hours on then. I ended on one for four hours from Manchester to Bristol due to point failure and that was about as long as I could take on a Voyager.

They are a far cry from a lot of the European main line trains that are designed for huge distances. As others have said go via London, or ideally break up the journey in London overnight. Or could even look at the overnight train from Paddington to Penzance, I had planned to this in the summer but strikes and poor weather put an end to that but it is supposed to very good and actually decent value.

Iskra

Established Member
Hot food (sanwhiches/panini) is now available in First Class on XC so that’s something. I could still think of many more enjoyable ways to spend that time and money on the UK rail network however.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you must avoid London, I'd consider an itinerary such as:

0752 Aberdeen - York 1255 (includes 2 light meals)​
(49 mins at York; First Class lounge or York Tap or signalbox cafe could be visited)​
1344 York - Taunton 1815​
(33 mins at Taunton; others can advise on facilities there)​
1848 Taunton - Penzance 2224​

This would reduce your travel time on the poor quality operator CrossCountry to only 4.5 hours.

I generated this on the forum's site specifying changes at York & Taunton.

Hot food (sanwhiches/panini) is now available in First Class on XC so that’s something...
Good luck with that!

My most recent journeys on XC gave me nothing (apart from, in some cases, unhealthy snacks such as biscuits) for all or most of the journeys.

On one journey from Plymouth to York, one of the hosts (Birmingham to Leeds) did provide sandwiches to people who specifically asked for them by going up to the buffet car; the previous host had been wanting to charge people.

I did once get a bacon roll on XC and it left me thinking I would rather have paid for something better.

(Incidentally I suspect you were the only person to get a complimentary sandwich on the last XC HST, but that wasn't provided by XC :lol: )

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The Voyager trains are not great, for a diesels they are decent, very quiet and are smooth enough. The issue is the seats and the pitch, they feel very cramped and I would not want to spend 3 hours on then. I ended on one for four hours from Manchester to Bristol due to point failure and that was about as long as I could take on a Voyager.
The standard class seat pitch leaves a lot to be desired unless you manage to grab one of the handful of "priority" seat towards the end of the coaches, which have extra legroom. They're designed for PRMs (Passengers with Reduced Mobility) though, so must be given up if required.

In first class the seat pitch is excellent on the airline-style seats (too good if anything - the table is too far away to comfortable write or use a laptop for long periods). And it's OK for the facing (table for 2/4) seats. The biggest problem is that lots of seats only have a partial window view, because of the poorly designed seating layout.

They are a far cry from a lot of the European main line trains that are designed for huge distances. As others have said go via London, or ideally break up the journey in London overnight. Or could even look at the overnight train from Paddington to Penzance, I had planned to this in the summer but strikes and poor weather put an end to that but it is supposed to very good and actually decent value.
Also worth mentioning that there's a daily (except on Saturday nights) sleeper from Aberdeen to London. This has an excellent restaurant/bar coach with typical Scottish fare. It's not cheap though - typically £200+ for a room, and even more if you want an en-suite or double - and not everyone can get a good night's sleep on sleepers.

The London to Penzance ("Cornish Riviera") sleeper is usually a bit cheaper, and although it has older (Mk3) rolling stock, it's been recently refurbished to a high standard. The ride quality on this is also better than you get on the newer (but sadly CAF-built) Mk5 stock on the Scottish sleepers.

thaitransit

Thanks for your advice.

This journey is part of a wider selection of journeys starting and ending at Manchester Airport the gateway Airport I am using into the UK.

I will be exploring a few lines in Scotland as well as local travel in northern England. Then heading to cornwall and eventually via London back to Manchester.

I am more used to domestic business class in Australia with is 2 + 2 seating with a 20 inch width and loads of legroom. I just fit comfortably in these seats.

It seems the direct train isn't worth it and via London is better. What is the best trains for comfort and onboard service via London on this route.

I agree long road coach travel is crap and having 2 seats to yourself is a must or a terrible journey will result. So I would prefer trains wherever possible.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It seems the direct train isn't worth it and via London is better. What is the best trains for comfort and onboard service via London on this route.
All trains from Aberdeen/Edinburgh to London are of the same type, and an almost identical type of train from London to Plymouth/Penzance, again all of the same type as it each other so it doesn't make a difference if you go for a particular time of departure.

The only differences are that you could get a Scotrail HST from Aberdeen to Edinburgh (or Glasgow) and similarly from Bristol to Penzance (the latter being Standard only).

If you are going to experience the journey itself and aren't in a rush and happy to break your journey overnight somewhere, there is an argument to be said for getting a 1st class pass for a week and doing this journey by HST From Aberdeen to Glasgow/Edinburgh, another train (TPE or Avanti) to Manchester or Crewe, TfW (loco hauled if you time it right) to Newport, and GWR HST from Newport to Penzance; this would be the route of choice for many rail/travel enthusiasts who are not fussed about end-to-end journey time and want to see the scenery and/or travel on higher quality and/or more 'traditional' trains (including some of the older trains back from a byegon era when comfort was of greater priority than it is today).

thaitransit

The London to Penzance ("Cornish Riviera") sleeper is usually a bit cheaper, and although it has older (Mk3) rolling stock, it's been recently refurbished to a high standard. The ride quality on this is also better than you get on the newer (but sadly CAF-built) Mk5 stock on the Scottish sleepers.

This sounds like a great idea. Does the Aberdeen to London daylight Train arrive into the same station as the London to Penzance overnight train? If not is there a "Trainlink" shuttle bus between the stations?

If you are going to experience the journey itself and aren't in a rush and happy to break your journey overnight somewhere, there is an argument to be said for getting a 1st class pass for a week and doing this journey by HST From Aberdeen to Glasgow/Edinburgh, another train (TPE or Avanti) to Manchester or Crewe, TfW (loco hauled if you time it right) to Newport, and GWR HST from Newport to Penzance; this would be the route of choice for many rail/travel enthusiasts who are not fussed about end-to-end journey time and want to see the scenery and/or travel on higher quality and/or more 'traditional' trains (including some of the older trains back from a byegon era when comfort was of greater priority than it is today).

I have had more than my share of journeys on squeaky old XPT units. Nice looking trains but not the most comfortable trains for long journeys. I have done Brisbane to Melbourne on XPT trains quite a few times its a 28 hour overnight slog! I generally fly this route now its only 2 hour 20 minutes direct flight.

Are the UK HST version more comfortable to ride? Do they have that incessant suspension squeak on the HSTs?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This sounds like a great idea. Does the Aberdeen to London daylight Train arrive into the same station as the London to Penzance overnight train? If not is there a "Trainlink" shuttle bus between the stations?
London Underground operates (full size, not tube-size) trains directly beteeen King's Cross and Paddington
I have had more than my share of journeys on squeaky old XPT units. Nice looking trains but not the most comfortable trains for long journeys.
Scotrail HSTs in first class are one of the most comfortable trains I've been on anywhere in the world.
I have done Brisbane to Melbourne on XPT trains quite a few times its a 28 hour overnight slog! I generally fly this route now its only 2 hour 20 minutes direct flight.
Aberdeen to Edinburgh/Glasgow is not a slog.
Are the UK HST version more comfortable to ride?
It depends on the seating; Scotrail 1st class is brilliant. GWR standard isn't great but I find it adequate and overall the experience is preferable to a Voyager in my opinion.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thanks for your advice.

This journey is part of a wider selection of journeys starting and ending at Manchester Airport the gateway Airport I am using into the UK.

I will be exploring a few lines in Scotland as well as local travel in northern England. Then heading to cornwall and eventually via London back to Manchester.

I am more used to domestic business class in Australia with is 2 + 2 seating with a 20 inch width and loads of legroom. I just fit comfortably in these seats.

I agree long road coach travel is crap and having 2 seats to yourself is a must or a terrible journey will result. So I would prefer trains wherever possible.
It sounds like you would definitely be best off with a Britrail or Eurail pass, at least for the days where you'll be doing longer journeys.

For days where you're doing less travelling, it may be cheaper to use local ranger or rover tickets (see the useful RailRover site), but it depends on the incremental cost of these days on a Britrail/Eurail pass (which in turn depends on your age and whether you go for a first or standard pass).

We can certainly make some recommendations when it comes to lines worth travelling on, if you'd like.

Unfortunately, there's not many intra-European (let alone domestic) flights where business class seating of such quality is available. There are a handful of routes where wide-body aircraft are used (generally for cargo reasons), but these tend to be longer ones such as London to Madrid/Helsinki/Istanbul.

All direct daytime services between Aberdeen and London, and London and Penzance, use the same Hitachi class 800/801/802 stock as linked above. These are all effectively identical internally, just with different 5/9/10 coach formations and liveries.

To see the food available between Aberdeen and London, you can go to LNER's website and search for a journey at the relevant time - it will tell you which of their 3 menus (Dish, Dine or Deli) is offered. This is all complimentary if you travel in First.

London to Penzance trains generally all feature the same, more limited catering. But there are a handful of daily services between London and Plymouth that feature proper Pullman dining (13:04 and 19:04 departures). The latter train extends to Penzance on Fridays. You do have to pay for this.

From Edinburgh to London you also have the option of using the low-cost open access operator Lumo, who use class 802 stock with an all-standard, tighter seating configuration, or Avanti West Coast, who use comfortable class 390 Pendolinos, albeit using a much slower route via the West Coast Mainline and Birmingham.

And as mentioned above, there is also the option of using sleepers between Aberdeen/Edinburgh and London, or London and Penzance.

Established Member
I actually travelled from Aberdeen to Penzance the other day. I was intending to get the direct train; had a discounted ticket for it thanks to a friend that works for XC. At least I thought I did, I'd booked it for the following day by mistake. Turned out to be irrelevant anyway as my ferry from Lerwick was 90 minutes late thanks to Storm Agnes. So I missed the XC service.

I headed to the travel centre and purchased a single to Penzance via London for £104.85. For the benefit of the OP, that's a 34% discount with a Young Person's railcard. And it was a lovely but very long journey once I'd stopped feeling sick from the rocky motion of the boat! Trust me, I have never been so happy to see a platform when I rolled into Penzance, and that was with a bit of breathing time in London midway.

thaitransit

We can certainly make some recommendations when it comes to lines worth travelling on, if you'd like.
I have an interest in the railways of Scotland so any recommendations up there as must do lines?

Also what is considered the popular lines and towns to visit for rail fans? I will be flying in and out of Manchester via Singapore. So I won't be starting in London.

London to Penzance trains generally all feature the same, more limited catering. But there are a handful of daily services between London and Plymouth that feature proper Pullman dining (13:04 and 19:04 departures). The latter train extends to Penzance on Fridays. You do have to pay for this.

I like the sound of that dining service. Shame its not on all long distance trains.

And as mentioned above, there is also the option of using sleepers between Aberdeen/Edinburgh and London, or London and Penzance.
I certainly would be keen to make use of the sleepers as it saves on expensive accommodation. However it seems difficult to book or even get prices on the Penzance sleeper.

thaitransit

I headed to the travel centre and purchased a single to Penzance via London for £104.85. For the benefit of the OP, that's a 34% discount with a Young Person's railcard.

Thats much more like it price wise. Unfortunately I am too old I think for those railcard I am 42. Was that in 1st class or 2nd class that £104 ticket?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I headed to the travel centre and purchased a single to Penzance via London for £104.85. For the benefit of the OP, that's a 34% discount with a Young Person's railcard.
Was that in 1st class or 2nd class that £104 ticket?
£104.85 is probably a railcard discounted walk-up Super Off Peak Single, (Route ✠VIA LONDON), from Aberdeen. Standard class. It's £158.90 without railcard discount.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I have an interest in the railways of Scotland so any recommendations up there as must do lines?
Both lines north of Inverness (the Far North line to Thurso and Wick, and the Kyle line to Kyle of Lochalsh) are worth doing. Similarly the West Highland line from Glasgow to Fort William and on to Mallaig - Fort William similarly has a daily sleeper to/from London.

People often combine a trip on the West Highland and Kyle lines using the short ferry from Mallaig to Armadale and then the bus to Kyle of Lochalsh. These are very long journeys overall though, and the lines have a quite limited service (by British standards) of 4 trains per day. So you'll probably want (or need) to stop overnight once or possibly twice.

The lines from Aberdeen to Inverness and Edinburgh are certainly more scenic than your average line, but they're not a patch on the aforementioned ones. The Highland Main Line between Perth and Inverness is also well worth doing.

Also what is considered the popular lines and towns to visit for rail fans? I will be flying in and out of Manchester via Singapore. So I won't be starting in London.
It really depends on what you want to see, to be honest. If you'd like to go to a busy station with a wide variety of trains, the likes of Manchester Piccadilly and Crewe are both decent candidates (there are direct trains from Manchester Airport to both). Doncaster on the East Coast Main Line is busy, with plenty of freight traffic.

There are a couple of scenic lines in that vicinity too - essentially all of the lines across the Pennines, but I'd say particularly the Hope Valley line from Manchester to Sheffield.

I like the sound of that dining service. Shame its not on all long distance trains.
Yes, it is a shame. Must be a bit of a loss leader though, as the prices are quite reasonable for the restaurant-quality meals.

The only other train (other than charter trains or sleepers) with a similar offering is Transport for Wales' locomotive-hauled Mk4s, which are used on some services between Cardiff and Manchester/Holyhead via the Welsh Marches line (theoretically every second train between Cardiff and Manchester, but they're still in the slow process of introduction).

I certainly would be keen to make use of the sleepers as it saves on expensive accommodation. However it seems difficult to book or even get prices on the Penzance sleeper.
Sadly, until the end of November, the Penzance sleeper is mostly only running on Friday and Sunday nights, due to engineering works on other nights to install new signalling. There may also be a limited service after that, but details are yet to be confirmed. There's more information on the GWR website.

Snapper37

Personally for me the standout lines in Scotland are Glasgow - Mallaig, and Kyle of Lockalsh to Inverness. It used to be able to combine the two using a direct ferry, but I think now you need to go via the the Isle of Skye. You can catch a sleeper train most of the way, and also a steam train from Fort William to Mallaig. Re places to train watch, Didcot has a wide selection of passenger and freight traffic, plus the Great Western Society if you want to see some steam.

Established Member
Thats much more like it price wise. Unfortunately I am too old I think for those railcard I am 42. Was that in 1st class or 2nd class that £104 ticket?
That was in Standard. Sadly there's no railcard you'd be eligible for.

MotCO

Established Member

Parebunks

Perhaps a road coach
National Express is the only real option there - you'd go Penzance to London, London to Edinburgh, then Scottish Citylink to Aberdeen. Penzance to Edinburgh would be around £40 if you booked far enough in advance, and would take about 20 hours - you can choose which leg is overnight. Then about four hours more on the Citylink to Aberdeen. If standard class rail isn't comfortable enough for you, though, no idea what you'd expect from a coach! Obviously no food, leg room is minimal. Definitely the cheapest option, though.

kkong

Both lines north of Inverness (the Far North line to Thurso and Wick, and the Kyle line to Kyle of Lochalsh) are worth doing. Similarly the West Highland line from Glasgow to Fort William and on to Mallaig - Fort William similarly has a daily sleeper to/from London.

People often combine a trip on the West Highland and Kyle lines using the short ferry from Mallaig to Armadale and then the bus to Kyle of Lochalsh. These are very long journeys overall though, and the lines have a quite limited service (by British standards) of 4 trains per day. So you'll probably want (or need) to stop overnight once or possibly twice.

The lines from Aberdeen to Inverness and Edinburgh are certainly more scenic than your average line, but they're not a patch on the aforementioned ones. The Highland Main Line between Perth and Inverness is also well worth doing.

It's worth noting that at the time of year the OP plans to visit (mid December), the north of Scotland will only be in daylight for about 7 hours per day.

Status
Not open for further replies.