• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Adding Tickets to ones all ready bought?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I booked some Advance Tickets to use on Virgin trains for my wife and 1 of my sons a while back to London using Family railcard but now myself and my other son are going with them so would like to know can i buy Tickets for the same train that my wife and other son is booked on and use the family railcard(its in both of our names)?

I know we will be given new seat numbers which wont be together with wife and other son but thats ok.

just was not sure if it mattered about using 2 lots of Tickets if 1 set was bought before the other set.

hope you all can understand what i mean.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harlesden

The new tickets might well be considerably more expensive than the Advance tickets. In many cases, the Advance Fare might be as little as 20% of the turn-up-and-go fare. In your case, the "new" ticket holders and the original ticket holders might well be seated in different coaches, but at least you're on the same train.

The new tickets might well be considerably more expensive than the Advance tickets. In many cases, the Advance Fare might be as little as 20% of the turn-up-and-go fare. In your case, the "new" ticket holders and the original ticket holders might well be seated in different coaches, but at least you're on the same train.

Many thanks for that but will it be ok with just the 1 Railcard?

what happens when the guard checks the tickets with just the one railcard?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Having one Railcard is absolutely fine, as long as it covers everyone in the party.

You may find that buying "additional" tickets is more expensive than your originals as quotas sell out and the prices will rise. You also won't be seated together according to your reservations.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If you either go to a station or phone telesales then they should be able to seat you as close as possible to the original seats. In any event, make sure that each party knows what the actual seats of the others are (unless they are really close) so that you can tell the guard where the railcard is. It's fine to use the railcard as long as the tickets are all for the same journey and you don't exceed the maximum group size of 4 adults and 4 children.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
You could also ask the guard on the train if you can all sit together (most should be fine if there is space).

island

Veteran Member
Or just move to the unreserved coach (I think coach E), although strictly not allowed but there's very rarely an issue.

SS4

Established Member
Or just move to the unreserved coach (I think coach E), although strictly not allowed but there's very rarely an issue.

Agreed, I've never had a problem. Only once has the TM requested that people with reservations sit in their reserved seats on a Pendo that I've been on

Many thanks Guys.

Just booked The tickets and indeed been given seats in another coach but will see when we get on board if there are seats which we can seat all together.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Coach E is unreserved, however if you telephone Virgin Trains Customer Relations they may be able to make additional reservations to keep your party together.

Status
Not open for further replies.