• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Adding TWO or more discounts to an Oyster card

Status
Not open for further replies.

theironroad

Established Member
Hi Oyster Fare Experts!

Not sure how common this is or if people have any experience.

Is it possible to add two discounts to an oyster?

In particular, would it be possible to add a staff leisure (priv) card (issued to non safeguarded staff) which gives national rail discount but not tube, and say a 16-25 Railcard which will give a off peak discount of 1/3 off on single tube fares and daily off peak caps?

I realise it's possible to add each of these discouts individually, but not sure how, or if, the two could work together, and whether it would confuse calculating the daily cap.

Many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
I think you'd have a problem with doing that as it wouldn't be able to calculate the appropriate charge for a National Rail journey. And I seem to recall that Priv journeys don't count towards a daily cap, but I could be getting that confused.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Edit: I have amended the word 'railcard' to 'discount' to clarify your question; as for the answer, RJ knows his stuff, so I would go with the reply below mine.

Last edited:

RJ

Established Member
Yes, you can have both on there. I've had two or three discounts on my Oyster card at the same time for the last few years, including the two mentioned at one point.

You'll get charged the cheapest fare and the railcard cap will apply.

theironroad

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies and especially RJ, good to have first hand experience of that particular situation. Rail forums at its best!

robbeech

Established Member
Yes, you can have both on there. I've had two or three discounts on my Oyster card at the same time for the last few years, including the two mentioned at one point.

You'll get charged the cheapest fare and the railcard cap will apply.
SO a question leading on from this good news. How does Oyster tell what method you have used? Are ALL the gates categorised as London Underground or National Rail? or does it really just give you the cheapest fare regardless, so a line shared by Bakerloo and LO would just give you the priv rate, but what about a Northern line King's Cross to Kentish Town as an example which has separate gatelines at King's Cross, but not at Kentish town.

island

Veteran Member
Oyster cards have capacity for up to three concessions of whatever sort. This includes railcards. It also includes (for example) free bus travel for 11-15 Zip card holders.

Haywain

Veteran Member
SO a question leading on from this good news. How does Oyster tell what method you have used? Are ALL the gates categorised as London Underground or National Rail? or does it really just give you the cheapest fare regardless, so a line shared by Bakerloo and LO would just give you the priv rate, but what about a Northern line King's Cross to Kentish Town as an example which has separate gatelines at King's Cross, but not at Kentish town.
Considering that the Northern line and Thameslink can’t be accessed from the same gate lines at Kings Cross St Pancras, that would be easy to deduce. The question may be more relevant for Farringdon to Kentish Town but I suspect that may default to being seen as a National Rail journey.

RJ

Established Member

It will charge whichever fare is cheaper where discounts are concerned.

For general checking of default routes, the Single Fare Finder is pretty good at revealing these.

Status
Not open for further replies.