• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Additional retailers to reopen from June 15th

Status
Not open for further replies.

DelayRepay

Established Member
Chatting to the manager of one of the small supermarkets here this afternoon, whilst waiting to pick up a C19 Support Group delivery, he reckoned that the one way system they have introduced has INCREASED sales, since it has forced people to walk all the aisles, so they are making spontanious additional purchases, even if it is only a packet of sweets or a bar of chocolate.

That does not surprise me, to be honest. I noticed a supermarket near me who had cleverly used displays of bedding plants and gardening supplies as queue 'barriers'. Captive audience I suppose...

My challenge now is the perspex screens. I am slightly hard of hearing and really struggle to hear the staff member from behind a sheet of plastic. This is much worse if there is background noise e.g. music playing in the shop.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sheff1

Established Member
It's all very well some retailers gleefully telling us how restrictive and unpleasant they intend to make the shopping experience but ultimately if, like Waterstones, they come up with ludicrously over-the-top safety measures, no-one's going to want to go in their shop and they won't make any money.

I'm not really a "shopping for leisure" kind of person but I do like browsing in bookshops, charity shops and outdoor gear outlets. As far as I'm concerned I will only be visiting shops which

* have no queue - my leisure time is limited and I don't want to waste it standing outside just because a shop has put in place an arbitrary "one in, one out" policy.
* leave me alone to browse at my leisure - no fussy jobsworths following me around checking which items I've picked up and put down
* have staff on hand in case I do need help. And if i need advice i expect to be able to talk to them face to face; not through a mask or a perspex screen!

Quite. I intended to buy some new outdoor clothing when the shops re-open, however the shop I usually use has announced that visits should only be for purchase with no browsing. How they expect me to choose, say, a jacket without browsing and trying possible purchases on for comfort/fit, I do not know. Needless to say, I will be taking my business to a more sensible outlet and, if I am satisfied there, will not be going back to the previously favoured retailer in the future.

Last edited:

johnnychips

Established Member
I am looking forward to buying some T-shirts and trousers in Doncaster Frenchgate Centre on Monday. Before the lockdown it was rare to get more than one or two people in the clothes shops at any one time midweek anyway. It is worth remembering that retail was in crisis before all this kicked off.

_toommm_

Established Member
I am slightly hard of hearing and really struggle to hear the staff member from behind a sheet of plastic

Same, except I'm on the other side of the perspex :D

Similarly with the social distancing, I find I have to make customers uncomfortable by coming close to them to hear what they're saying behind their masks.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Quite. I intended to buy some new outdoor clothing when the shops re-open, however the shop I usually use has announced that visits should only be for purchase with no browsing. How they expect me to choose, say, a jacket without browsing and trying possible purchases on for comfort/fit, I do not know. Needless to say, I will be taking my business to a more sensible outlet and, if I am satisfied there, will not be going back to the previously favoured retailer in the future.

<Bangs head on desk, repeatedly>

I can see the situation now...

Customer: "Hi, I'm interested in buying an padded jacket for some walks I've got planned."
Store: "Sure, the jackets are just next to you."
Customer: "OK, well these look OK, can I try one on to make sure it fits?"
Store: "No"
Customer: "Erm, OK do you have some in large?"
Store "I don't know"
Customer: "Can I browse through them to see?"
Customer: "Bye....."

Seriously, is this it? Is this what shopping is going to be like in the future? "Don't touch! Don't go near! And if you do go near or touch you buy it, or we seal it in a metal casket in a concrete bunker for 72 hours because human is infected, maybe..."

I am really starting to think that if this is our reaction to the virus, the virus has won in ways it could never have imagined in its strings of
ribonucleic acid.... :frown:

nedchester

Established Member
<Bangs head on desk, repeatedly>

I can see the situation now...

Customer: "Hi, I'm interested in buying an padded jacket for some walks I've got planned."
Store: "Sure, the jackets are just next to you."
Customer: "OK, well these look OK, can I try one on to make sure it fits?"
Customer: "Erm, OK do you have some in large?"
Store "I don't know"
Customer: "Can I browse through them to see?"
Customer: "Bye....."

Seriously, is this it? Is this what shopping is going to be like in the future? "Don't touch! Don't go near! And if you do go near or touch you buy it, or we seal it in a metal casket in a concrete bunker for 72 hours because human is infected, maybe..."

I am really starting to think that if this is our reaction to the virus, the virus has won in ways it could never have imagined in its strings of
ribonucleic acid.... :frown:

That sums the madness up in a nutshell. Meanwhile I can go into supermarkets like Aldi pick up clothing or foodstuffs without this nonsense.

No proportionate approach to risk. If we want to reduce risk then why do we sell cigarettes?

AM9

Veteran Member
That sums the madness up in a nutshell. Meanwhile I can go into supermarkets like Aldi pick up clothing or foodstuffs without this nonsense.

No proportionate approach to risk. If we want to reduce risk then why do we sell cigarettes?
Ask @Butts

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Or if you have a credit card to take the hit, purchase the sizes/styles you are considering and return the ones you don't want.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I am honestly hoping you wrote this tongue-in-cheek.....

No. I actually did this the other week, and it was actually for an outdoors jacket. Didn't know which size would fit, so I bought both likely sizes and returned the one that didn't (didn't even open the packet, as the first one I tried on out of the two did fit). If you have a credit card it's no great issue, because you will be refunded before it bills.

There are many useful things that can be done with a credit card that doesn't involve being charged interest to borrow money long-term, and most of those useful things are completely free of charge like this one was (the company concerned offers free returns).

Outside of doing it yourself with a credit card, that was always the business model (using their own credit scheme) of clothes catalogues like Kay's, Grattan and the likes - no idea if they're still going, though!

317 forever

Established Member
I have seen some shops - namely Card Factory, Primark and WH Smith - preparing to reopen. I expect there are others even if not all of them yet.

adc82140

Established Member
On a walk through town a couple of weeks ago, it was noticeable which shops were empty of stock, and therefore not coming back. I can recall Carphone Warehouse (I think all of them have gone), Clinton Cards and the Three shop. Not certain our Debenhams will reopen either.

route101

Established Member
Noticed a FB post saying some stores are reopening at a local retail park from June 15th. Im in Scotland, i though , thought it was England only

Skutter

On a walk through town a couple of weeks ago, it was noticeable which shops were empty of stock, and therefore not coming back. I can recall Carphone Warehouse (I think all of them have gone), Clinton Cards and the Three shop. Not certain our Debenhams will reopen either.
The phone shops' stock will have been recalled for online orders, and can fit in a small van anyway. The others are a bit less certain though.

Iskra

Established Member
I have seen some shops - namely Card Factory, Primark and WH Smith - preparing to reopen. I expect there are others even if not all of them yet.

I've seen evidence of Topman/shop, Debenhams, Nike, Sports Direct and JD Sports reopening on Monday in Rotherham Parkgate and/or Meadowhall. Meadowhall say 'over 50%' of their shops are reopening, which implies a lot aren't. It will be interesting to see if there will be a big rush to the shops this week or not.

6Gman

Established Member
So that's all the stuff in Tesco's that's in a cardboard box or wrapped in paper taken off the shelves for three days then? They must have a lot of staff going round with big trolleys loading up the stuff (though I haven't seen any). And I suppose if it goes beyond its sell-by date during that three days, it's skipped? It could be, of course, that Tesco's has a sense of proportion whilst Waterstone's does not.

Or perhaps maintaining food supplies is considered more critical than maintain book supplies . . .

This is not a criticism of any individual but there is a rather unpleasant undercurrent on this Forum, and elsewhere, that seems to respond to any suggestion, request or instruction to reduce the risk of transmission to others by looking for loopholes or criticising the efforts being made.

There is a horrible disease out there and people are trying to minimise its impact. You can be part of the solution or part of the problem.

6Gman

Established Member
So if you use hand sanitiser on entering the shop then why is it that if you handle the books they have to go into quarantine stock. Utter paranoid madness. It has to stop.

Because you might cough or sneeze while handling the book?

And - most importantly - because it is the policy of the shop you choose to enter.

Their gaff; their rules.

Iskra

Established Member

And - most importantly - because it is the policy of the shop you choose to enter.

Their gaff; their rules.

Have you ever worked with the general public?

The amount of people who are either incapable of or are unwilling to follow simple instructions and exercise the most simplest of courtesies to other human beings is truly astounding.

Enthusiast

Established Member
This is not a criticism of any individual but there is a rather unpleasant undercurrent on this Forum, and elsewhere, that seems to respond to any suggestion, request or instruction to reduce the risk of transmission to others by looking for loopholes or criticising the efforts being made.
I think there's more of an undercurrent aimed at suggesting we curb irrational paranoia and aim criticism at the philosophy that seems to suggest that the spread of Covid must be prevented at the expense of just about anything else including common sense. As far as the particular issue of bookshops goes, it is completely irrational to quarantine a book just because somebody has handled it. People need to take responsibility for their own safety. Robust hygiene can all but eliminate the risk of virus transmission from pre-handled goods or touching things such as door handles and handrails and the country needs (in fact must) return to some semblance of normality. Having somebody running round after customers in a bookshop scooping up the books they have handled for a three day quarantine is not normal. Of course it's Waterstone's gaff, so it's their rules. However, I would suggest that although they are far more essential than bookshops, food shops have seen no need to advise or instruct their customers against handling goods they do not intend to buy when the number of customers doing so must be far greater than in a bookshop. I have to wonder why that is.

nedchester

Established Member

Their gaff; their rules.

Yep their gaff their going out of business and more business for the likes of Amazon.

trebor79

Established Member

Their gaff; their rules.
I predict this unworkable policy will either not be implemented or will be scrapped within a week. I'm not sure how big the storage area of a typical Waterstones is, but I'd wager not that big as there's no point having books on shelves that aren't accessible to customers. So if footfall is anything like normal they are going to very rapidly run out of space, aside from not having any books left to sell.
Yep their gaff their going out of business and more business for the likes of Amazon.
Nope, no way. I'll go to an independent. I find flying though a book is an essential part of the buying process.

johnnychips

Established Member
I predict this unworkable policy will either not be implemented or will be scrapped within a week. I'm not sure how big the storage area of a typical Waterstones is, but I'd wager not that big as there's no point having books on shelves that aren't accessible to customers. So if footfall is anything like normal they are going to very rapidly run out of space, aside from not having any books left to sell.

Nope, no way. I'll go to an independent. I find flying though a book is an essential part of the buying process.
Yes, I must say I flick through about thirty books at Waterstones before I decide which one to buy. This is a symptom of a general paranoia that needs to cease.

Bantamzen

Established Member

Their gaff; their rules.

By that logic they would need to quarantine every single book you pass within 2 metres of. Sounds doable...

underbank

Established Member
Have you ever worked with the general public?

The amount of people who are either incapable of or are unwilling to follow simple instructions and exercise the most simplest of courtesies to other human beings is truly astounding.

Fully agree. The ability of people to ignore even the simplest of precautions is what has got us into this mess.

Pete_uk

Established Member
I think some retailers will be changing their policies within a week or two. I just hope the High Street doesnt turn into a bloodbath.

trebor79

Established Member
I think some retailers will be changing their policies within a week or two. I just hope the High Street doesnt turn into a bloodbath.
I think it will be a bloodbath, but there may be a silver lining. If a lot of chains contract or go bust that will moderate rent demands, and may prompt a long overdue business rates system change. Empty units may in those circumstances encourage a renaissance of independent shops and cafes. That would be nice.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
By that logic they would need to quarantine every single book you pass within 2 metres of. Sounds doable...
I just thank God I've retired from the book trade now. The idea of providing the space at my expense to display a load of books which, once fingered, have to go into quarantine, knowing that the looker, if interested in buying it, will try and save themselves a quid by ordering from Amazon (i.e. the recent norm) is as appealing as , well, to be given a clean bill of health by Mike Hancock. I always thought bookshops that put up notices saying 'browsers welcome' were being disingenuous at best and idiots at worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.