• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Additional Royal Mail trains to serve South Midlands super hub ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yorkmover124

Are Royal Mail planning to run more Parcel trains 2024 from the new South Midlands super hub via Warrington Rail Terminal

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Given that the extension isnt proposed to be wired and will require a reversal.. I'm guessing it was just a carrot to get planning permission.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Given that the extension isnt proposed to be wired and will require a reversal.. I'm guessing it was just a carrot to get planning permission.
There's a fair chunk of infrastructure there, which is a substantial investment purely to dress up a carrot. I would be surprised if RM were funding (even partially) such a specification without reasonable intent to make use of it. It's not like they've got a single line and a crossover into the running line.
Whether 325s use it, or they go for other options (769s under contract from Varamis?, swapbody freights) is another matter though.

InOban

Established Member
I'm sure I've seen a video showing that they're moved by diesel at the existing depots.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I'm sure I've seen a video showing that they're moved by diesel at the existing depots.
Yes, but having done it a couple of times to 'prove' they're using it doesn't mean they'll keep doing it. If there's a spare 66 and a shunter hanging around Daventry it'll be marginal costs, if they need somebody to take something off another job to move it up to the actual loading area then it'll be rather more expensive.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Depots?
At PRDC, Shieldmuir, Warrington and Low Fell the trains use their own power.

There's a fair chunk of infrastructure there, which is a substantial investment purely to dress up a carrot. I would be surprised if RM were funding (even partially) such a specification without reasonable intent to make use of it. It's not like they've got a single line and a crossover into the running line.
Whether 325s use it, or they go for other options (769s under contract from Varamis?, swapbody freights) is another matter though.
There are four paths to Shieldmuir on weekdays. Whether they are used or not….

Adrian Barr

There's been a daily return service operating into the Daventry Royal Mail terminal (1M36 southbound / 1S05 northbound) since the middle of August. It's not run this week but I think that's due to a temporary issue with 325 availability.

Are Royal Mail planning to run more Parcel trains 2024 from the new South Midlands super hub via Warrington Rail Terminal

Good question... the paths are there but it's not clear there would be enough 325 units to use them. Once the Daventry service started up, I think roughly a dozen units were needed in traffic (out of 15). Not long after that the 1M03 / 1S55 service from Shieldmuir to Warrington and back stopped running, which makes it seem like there were insufficient units to run both, taking into account maintenance requirements.

Daventry is unusual in being the only location the 325s need regular diesel-hauling.

Initially the idea was to use the shunt loco already based at Daventry (I think this was an ex-British Steel Redcar industrial loco) to haul the units from the reception sidings to the mail terminal and back. I think this arrangement lasted a couple of weeks but for whatever reason was found to be unsatisfactory, requiring a class 66 to be based there as a pilot loco. It could be that there was a compatibility issue causing difficulties; perhaps a class 08 would have been more successful.

The Daventry service was mentioned here in the railfreight thread, with a link to a photo of a 325 in the terminal. I've never seen any photo or video of the units being hauled around the Daventry site though!
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/rail-freight-flows-and-news-uk.195217/post-6367797

Stampy

Sounds about right for Royal Mail.... Clueless

And Daventry is their main "hub" - aka Midlands Superhub

Where (no doubt) letters are being stacked up (or hidden) whilst they prioritise the lucrative parcels...

Liam L

Sounds about right for Royal Mail.... Clueless

And Daventry is their main "hub" - aka Midlands Superhub

Where (no doubt) letters are being stacked up (or hidden) whilst they prioritise the lucrative parcels...
I thought the superhub was only for parcels?

Wouldn't surprise me if there were letters stored there, I only seem to get letters if there a parcel with it :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.