• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ADHD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there

I have a friend who has ADHD and is after getting work on the railways. Maybe P-Way, safety critical roles.

I just wondered if anyone knew how this would affect him in becoming a ES/COSS for instance.

Is it on your sentinel card? Is it prohibited to COSS with neuro-diverse issues.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mattydo

I'm aware of several people with "neuro-diverse" issues on the railway from dyslexia and ADHD to spectrum order diagnosis. As with everything it'll be up to the doctor to assess suitability but I can't see it being a barrier.

I'm aware of several people with "neuro-diverse" issues on the railway from dyslexia and ADHD to spectrum order diagnosis. As with everything it'll be up to the doctor to assess suitability but I can't see it being a barrier.
Hi Matty, thanks for the reply. Do you know if you have to have a red triangle if you have any of these conditions, ADHD, etc? Can you actually be a COSS for instance? Thanks.

Hi there

I have a friend who has ADHD and is after getting work on the railways. Maybe P-Way, safety critical roles.

I just wondered if anyone knew how this would affect him in becoming a ES/COSS for instance.

Is it on your sentinel card? Is it prohibited to COSS with neuro-diverse issues.

Thanks.

Really interesting question. I've heard that people with ADHD can focus too much on the "wrong" thing but are capable of summoning incredible levels of focus when it's relating to something they are interested in. If you are interested in trains who's to say that couldn't be an advantage? I've certainly encountered folk who've had long and successful careers on the railway who's personality and behavioural traits would fall outside the definition of what most people would consider 'normal'. As Mattydo says it will ultimately be up to Drs and such to decide suitability if your friend choses to declare this. And if they are taking any medications to treat their condition I would absolutely advise that they do declare. I have no idea what effect this might have on their application but the repercussions of keeping scthum and then being involved in a safety incident would not be worth the risk.

Mattydo

Hi Matty, thanks for the reply. Do you know if you have to have a red triangle if you have any of these conditions, ADHD, etc? Can you actually be a COSS for instance? Thanks.
Hey, I'm afraid as it hasn't personally affected me I don't have any of the specifics but my strong feeling is that you shouldn't in the face of it allow you to stop exploring the options. Any company you apply to will be able to advise on specifics. Best of luck.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
I have ADHD and although my role doesn’t have a safety critical card the condition and the medication I take to alleviate it don’t medically disqualify me from any safety critical tasks at all. If I had a job that involved a Sentinel card it wouldn’t have a red triangle accordingly. HTH

Stuart-h

Personally speaking your friend shouldnt have a problem with adhd. I cant see it being a barrier my self. My other half has autism and shes out on track.

I have ADHD and although my role doesn’t have a safety critical card the condition and the medication I take to alleviate it don’t medically disqualify me from any safety critical tasks at all. If I had a job that involved a Sentinel card it wouldn’t have a red triangle accordingly. HTH
That's interesting. I would have though a red triangle would have been mandatory for any neuro-diverse issues.

https://info.railsentinel.co.uk/help-support/card-holders/

Is this page with information about the Sentinel card correct? If so, why would a person with ADHD have a red triangle, if that means they must be accompanied on the railway? Seems excessive...
I assume it would be around the fact that if they were acting as a COSS, they could struggle with attention issues. This is definitely required in specific circumstances. Likewise, if they were an IWA, they would be looking out for themselves and get distracted easily. I may be wrong. I don't.personally know anyone who is a COSS with ADHD.

Chrysalis

I assume it would be around the fact that if they were acting as a COSS, they could struggle with attention issues. This is definitely required in specific circumstances. Likewise, if they were an IWA, they would be looking out for themselves and get distracted easily. I may be wrong. I don't.personally know anyone who is a COSS with ADHD.
I don't know anyone with ADHD, but what if they were taking medication for it and therefore able to keep focus? It seems a bit discriminatory to say that everyone with ADHD (or worse, everyone who's neurodivergent) should have this red triangle, without actually looking at individual circumstances. Similar to how neurodivergent people used to be automatically banned from being police officers, in the military or indeed train drivers (at least in Sweden this was the case until really recently), without assessing or even talking to the individual.

Maybe I don't really understand the consequence of a red triangle? It sounds like having one could prevent you from having quite a few different jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.