• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance Fare - if I miss the booked train

Status
Not open for further replies.

baza585

Some advice please.

Have booked SWT advance fares for an interview in London tomorrow. Company has now moved the interview back by an hour (grrrr!) so I am likely to miss the return train I am booked on.

Realise the ticket isn't valid on any other train, but can it be excessed up to walk-on fare?

If so am I better advised to go to the ticket office, or just get on the train and get the gripper to excess it for me??

Never been in the situation so any thoughts would be helpful please.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Yes, it can be excessed to a walk-up fare for £10 plus the difference in price, before the booked train departure time. On-board you will be sold a new ticket, as you will after the train departs.

You can IIRC exchange both legs for a walk-up return, thus using the value of both Advance tickets, which may work out cheaper.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Some advice please.

Have booked SWT advance fares for an interview in London tomorrow. Company has now moved the interview back by an hour (grrrr!) so I am likely to miss the return train I am booked on.

Realise the ticket isn't valid on any other train, but can it be excessed up to walk-on fare?

If so am I better advised to go to the ticket office, or just get on the train and get the gripper to excess it for me??

Never been in the situation so any thoughts would be helpful please.

You can change an advance to an advance on another train (if there are any left) before the day of travel, or a 'walk-up' ticket before the departure time of the first booked train, provided you pay an admin fee of £10 for each ticket changed. You can change one or both legs to a return if you wish, however, you would pay a £10 admin fee for each Advance ticket changed.

You cannot change an advance ticket on the train (unless no facilities exist for you to do so before you board) and changes can only be done before the departure time of the first booked train.

Status
Not open for further replies.