• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advance ticket issue

dgl

Established Member
Posting this on behalf of my sister as it did shake her up a bit (the guard appeared to her to be in a bit of a mood and wasn't very nice to her) and she does get quite anxious so wants to clear it up and I said I'd ask for some advice/assistance here.
Basically a couple of weeks ago she had an advance ticket from Surbiton to Weymouth and on boarding the train from Surbiton she had her ticket queried and the guard claimed that she had got on an earlier service and in theory her ticket wasn't valid, it was only after she was able to get on to her emails and showed the guard the confirmation email from SWR which had the journey details that she didn't get in to trouble. At Woking she did ask a member of staff for assistance and they said she should be fine plus the Guard on the train from Woking didn't as much as batter an eyelid at the ticket, and by that point she had already called me to have a look into it.

Posted below is the itinerary from the confirmation email sent by SWR and the ticket in question.
Looking at it I read it as only the journey from Woking to Weymouth being limited to a specific train with the 11:00 time restriction pertaining to that train only and the guard on the first train thinking that it applied to the journey from Surbiton when it didn't. Note that she did indeed catch the 10:30 from Surbiton so all trains caught were the ones in the itinerary
booked.

Ticket type: Advance Single Valid on booked train(s) only. Non-refundable. Changeable for a fee before booked departure time.
Route: Only valid on booked South Western Railway services and required connecting South Western Railway services
Return journey: 19 Jan 2024
departs Surbiton at 10:30 travel by Train service provider South Western Railway to station Woking arrives 10:48
departs Woking at 11:00 travel by Train service provider South Western Railway to station Weymouth arrives 13:15 ( seats reserved: Coach: * Seats: *** )

tikt.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Please can you clarify what the question you’re asking is as I can’t make it out.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Please can you clarify what the question you’re asking is as I can’t make it out.
I think this is saying she had followed an itinerary that used a 1030 train from Surbiton to Woking 1048 as a connection into a ‘reservable’ 1100 from Woking to Weymouth, the latter not having seats specified? Seems to me the guard has initially read 1100 as the start of the whole journey.

dgl

Established Member
I think this is saying she had followed an itinerary that used a 1030 train from Surbiton to Woking 1048 as a connection into a ‘reservable’ 1100 from Woking to Weymouth, the latter not having seats specified? Seems to me the guard has initially read 1100 as the start of the whole journey.

Yes that's exactly what happened, sorry it wasn't as clear as it could be. You'd have thought the guard could read the ticket properly.

methecooldude

That's exactly what it is, it wouldn't be the first time I've done it as a guard, and it's not until I look a bit closer that I notice the 'From' station not being Waterloo or Clapham :)

Yes that's exactly what happened, sorry it wasn't as clear as it could be. You'd have thought the guard could read the ticket properly.
I think this was just human error and they didn't see the 'From Woking'. As I've noted above, I've been guilty of it as well

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Just to clarify, has the OP's sister been PF'd or reported for prosecution (or similar) or have they perhaps just had a particularly sub-optimal journey experience on this occasion?

And, if the latter, might she be entitled to any redress?