• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advanced Passenger Train - Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Yesterday evening, I was pleased to be able to hear a talk at the South Wales Branch of the RCTS by Kit Spackman about the creation, testing, running and preservation of the Advanced Passenger Train.

Kit is described as "the man who put the tilt in BR from 1971 to 1978", and is affectionately known to fellow engineers and the support group as "Mr Tilt". During the development of APT, Kit was the driving force behind E trains tilting system, and his enthusiasm and drive towards the APT project is still as strong today as it was then. Whilst working on POP, E train and the development of the P train tilting system Kit took many photographs and thus got an insiders view as to the trials and tribulations of the APT project. This collection of photographs formed the basis of last night's talk and are a vivid records of the APT project days during the 1970's. It also covers the restoration and preservation of the APT-E set which is now at Locomotion, Shildon.
(I've taken much of this description from his web site - http://www.apt-e.org/kit/kit.htm - and I hope that he doesn't mind!)

It was an excellent talk about a subject which I freely admit to knowing very little about ... but as a result of it, I do now know quite a lot more. If you have the opportunity of listening to Kit talk, I'd recommend it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.