• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

adverts on the EC wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrollerEd

anyone noticed the Scandinavian feel to travel by EC wifi? All the ads think I'm able to read and enjoy Swedish ...

... I keep looking out the wndow to check where I am

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

StrollerEd

now an advert for Finnish Air !

so what am I breathing given that the windows don't open ...

jon0844

Veteran Member
The system is Swedish, but it shouldn't do that. I think iPlayer is already restricted but do you get ads on the BBC website?

Sent from my Sony Ericsson Xperia arc via Tapatalk.

asylumxl

Established Member
Are you using a mobile or a laptop/tablet?

I know Opera Mini's servers are based in that direction, which is why it used to load sites in foreign languages.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Opera Mini (or Opera Turbo on Opera Mobile) use servers in Norway, but they do now detect your location so you should see local adverts.

But it is possible for things to go wrong, and default to Norway (or in the case of the EC system and others that use it, Sweden).

Any Permitted

On East Coast the Wifi thinks you are in Sweden and on NXEA it thinks you are in Germany.

I have no idea why but the way to tell is to go on Google and see what the default is.

radamfi

Established Member
The system is Swedish, but it shouldn't do that. I think iPlayer is already restricted but do you get ads on the BBC website?

Yes, accessing the BBC website from outside the UK gives you adverts.

Using a UK based VPN gets you back to Blighty for an advert free BBC website, and enables you to use iPlayer, although most wi-fi providers don't like that because it uses a lot of bandwidth and IME train wi-fi is usually too slow anyway.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Yes, accessing the BBC website from outside the UK gives you adverts.

I know. What I meant was, does the BBC show adverts if you access it on EC (which is clearly in the UK, but using an ISP in Sweden).

Poggs

anyone noticed the Scandinavian feel to travel by EC wifi? All the ads think I'm able to read and enjoy Swedish ...

EC's wireless service is operated by Icomera, who use different types of connectivity from the train. Similar to a VPN, all Internet-bound traffic from the train is sent through a tunneled connection to Icomera's servers, and then it finds its way to the Internet from there.

It appears to any website you access that you're coming from Sweden, and therefore you will have Swedish adverts.

StrollerEd

now this could be a form of simulated foreign travel - anyone remember reading 'We can remember it for you wholesale' by Philip K Dick?

Status
Not open for further replies.