• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice for 'best Edin - Bath' routing

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrollerEd

I posted earlier about an impending Edinburgh to Plymouth journey that I was dreading. I've managed to re-arrange things and we break to enjoy a two-night stay in Bath to celebrate a significant anniversary.

So, my question:

I want partner and myself to enjoy the journey from Edinburgh to Bath on a Saturday in July. Choices seem to be

1) Edin/KGX + Pad/Bath
2) Edin/Reading + Reading/Bath
3) Edin/Bristol + Bath

There seem to be good single pricing for FC for some of those options, and of course access to food is one consideration - unless I decide that the only way is to take a hamper of goodies.

I would welcome recommendations as I do want to have my partner enjoy the journey so we arrive well into Bath.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NightatLaira

If money were no issue, I would definitely go with EDB-LKX, Paddington - Bath.

7hrs on XC with no food would send me round the twist!

You could maybe look into Edinburgh to New St with Virgin, then onwards with whoever?

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Edinburgh to London KX then Padd to Bath to me is the best option. Did Edinburgh to Bristol once in a voyager - not nice! What a pleasure to change onto a HST to complete my trip to Cardiff.

StrollerEd

all good thinking. many thanks. keep it coming.

Candidates are now

a) Ed: (09.30 - 13:55) + traverse KGX/Pad + Pad: (15.00 - 16:24) Bath Spa [7hrs]
vs
b) Ed: (08:52 - 12:55) + B New St (13:12 - 14:41) + Bristol (15:00 - 15:11) Bath Spa [~7hrs]

SS4

Established Member
If you pick option B it would be easier to change at Wolverhampton than Birmingham (plus you stand a better chance of getting a seat at WVH because everyone gets on at BHM :p)

Money permitting I'd still go with option A

route:oxford

Established Member
So many ways to do it!

I'd probably grab a fast Virgin to Brum, then change.

But suppose could also grab a Voyager to Carlisle, then Pendolino to Euston then HST from Paddington

StrollerEd

SS4, just looked at the change at Wolverhampton option and I like it as partner has said she doesnt like changing at Brum station.

That would give (12:31 - 13:16) 45mins at Wolverhampton station round about lunch time - now there wouldn'y happen to be a really good resturant on the station platform would there? :)

But seriously what are the waiting room / cafe culture options at that station?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
trying to answer my own question about faciliies at Wolverhampton, I found

comment on Yell circa 2008:

i regularly use the wolverhampton train station, but i have to say its not the nicest one ive been in.

it is very dated and open plan, it is really cold and drafty with no where really to go and sit down and stay walm other than the small cafe. but i have to say the quality of the food and snacks available is not very good.

and as recent as midday today (!) 18 June 2011, an ad:

Unit Manager, Pumpkin Cafe, Wolverhampton Station. To £23k.SSP

Salary: £20000 - £23000 per annum + bonus + benefits
Job type: Permanent
Date posted: 18/06/2011 12:05:46
Job reference: Totaljobs/SSP UK00014

About SSP - The Food Travel Experts
SSP is a world-wide retail catering company with operations in 32 countries and employing over 30,000 people. We operate well known branded restaurants, bars, cafés, food courts and convenience stores in airports, train stations, motorway service stations, retail parks, conference centers and other leisure locations. We are looking for a confident communicator who is passionate about delivering fantastic customer service within a branded environment and can coach and develop their people to be the stars of the future.

The Role & Key Accountabilities
This fantastic opportunity is based at Wolverhampton Railway Station, a thriving commercial environment serving the travelling public, where you wiill be managing our popular Pumpkin Café. Life at the station is usually 24/7, so you need to be available to work shifts which can include evenings / earlies and weekends on a rota basis. This is a busy unit and under your management could grow even further. Ultimately, you will manage the unit and take ownership for the quality of service from your team and the financial performance of your unit - it's as good as running your own business but with the support and fantastic development opportunities of working with a world wide market leading foodservice company.

So not good signs if I'm travelling in first half of July then ...

Last edited:

rail-britain

Established Member
As above, as it is a weekend the refreshment offerings in First Class will be basic
I personally don't find any difference between Cross Country and Virgin, with hot drinks and crisps (plus FGW if required), although with Cross Country there has been at least one at-seat service, in Virgin it has required walking to the shop
At least with East Coast it may also include a sandwich

My preference (from a trains point of view at weekends) would be :
East Coast Edinburgh to York
Cross Country York to Bristol
FGW Bristol to Bath

If this was midweek, then I would either travel via Virgin Trains with the change at Carlisle and Birmingham, or East Coast via Kings Cross

Finally, if you can get to Edinburgh a little earlier, then consider the 09:06 Edinburgh to Bristol, this should be a HST
You may be able to get the cheaper advance first singles by splitting en-route, such as York, on the same train (Edinburgh - Bristol)

SS4

Established Member
SS4, just looked at the change at Wolverhampton option and I like it as partner has said she doesnt like changing at Brum station.

It's not that good to be honest, there is a small cafe there and a W H Smith. New Street is just as draughty as Wolverhampton IMO although the station is not the prettiest.
If your ticket allows break of journey there is a Wetherspoons about five minutes walk away from the station although there are no automatic barriers last time I was there

StrollerEd

It's not that good to be honest, there is a small cafe there and a W H Smith. New Street is just as draughty as Wolverhampton IMO although the station is not the prettiest.
If your ticket allows break of journey there is a Wetherspoons about five minutes walk away from the station although there are no automatic barriers last time I was there

Thanks. And as foodie diversion I did spot

http://www.thebilash.co.uk/

but the other half might not be amused at such a luggage-bound side trip.
My preference (from a trains point of view at weekends) would be :
East Coast Edinburgh to York
Cross Country York to Bristol
FGW Bristol to Bath

<snip>

Finally, if you can get to Edinburgh a little earlier, then consider the 09:06 Edinburgh to Bristol, this should be a HST
You may be able to get the cheaper advance first singles by splitting en-route, such as York, on the same train (Edinburgh - Bristol)

Thanks. I will investigate as am familar with York as a station.

[as sidebar, I've started to use the Railway Museum as a location for national meeting as it shares the travel pain for all but those who live in SW England and beyond the Welsh Borders.]
Edinburgh 09:06 XC to Bristol Temple Meads 15:38 (then on to Bath)

looks good and easy. And you say that this is an HST and therefore more comfortable?

Is the FC appreciably better than Std on that service?

Am investigating the split pricing via York

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
When I travel from Newcastle to either Bristol or Plymouth, I'm much more likely to use EC to London and FGW onwards. This allows the option of eating well (in so far as EC still provide a miserable token of the route's former traditional catering) and First Class on FGW because I can't stand the high density Standard accom in their HSTs.

A Cross Country Voyager on a trip like that is one of lifes most miserable experiences imaginable.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
When I travel from Newcastle to either Bristol or Plymouth, I'm much more likely to use EC to London and FGW onwards. This allows the option of eating well (in so far as EC still provide a miserable token of the route's former traditional catering) and First Class on FGW because I can't stand the high density Standard accom in their HSTs.

A Cross Country Voyager on a trip like that is one of lifes most miserable experiences imaginable.

I'd have to agree. If it were me, I'd do likewise. The standard of 1st Class accommodation on 225/HST sets owned by East Coast is very high. FGW HSTs aren't far behind.

Given the choice, I'd avoid XC Voyagers, even if I was travelling 1st Class. They're often very busy, the seats don't line up with the windows, and the food is really below-par given the alternatives on offer.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I would personally travel via London. I have always found it cheaper.

Warning about the 0930, expect to be hungry by London, stock up at Waverley. The irony is I am sure in the previous timetable this was one of the few trains with the all day offer (is the one with the burgers)

StrollerEd

the other half needs some persuading to traverse London from Kings Cross to Paddington with luggage but that's been my favourite routing too. The break at York has some appeal.

On the matter of food ... I was prompted to follow up this suggestion

to discover that its called the Moon Under Water, and the serindippity of the Web took me to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moon_Under_Water

in which Orwell stipulated ten key points that his perfect London pub should have (his criteria for country pubs being different, but unspecified):

The architecture and fittings must be uncompromisingly Victorian.

Games, such as darts, are only played in the public part of the bar.

The pub is quiet enough to talk, with the house possessing neither a radio nor a piano.

The barmaids know the customers by name and take an interest in everyone.

It sells tobacco and cigarettes, aspirins and stamps, and lets you use the phone.

There is a snack counter where you can get liver-sausage sandwiches, mussels (a speciality of the house), cheese, pickles and [...] large biscuits with caraway seeds.

Upstairs, six days a week, you can get a good, solid lunch -- for example, a cut off the joint, two vegetables and boiled jam roll—for about three shillings.

[...] a creamy sort of draught stout [...], and it goes better in a pewter pot.

They are particular about their drinking vessels at "The Moon Under Water" and never, for example, make the mistake of serving a pint of beer in a handleless glass. Apart from glass and pewter mugs, they have some of those pleasant strawberry-pink china ones.

[...] You go through a narrow passage leading out of the saloon, and find yourself in a fairly large garden.

rail-britain

Established Member
Edinburgh 09:06 XC to Bristol Temple Meads 15:38 (then on to Bath)
you say that this is an HST and therefore more comfortable?
I would need confirmation that it is HST, but it should be (07:00 Glasgow to Penzance)
My preference would be HST over Voyager, when travelling XC

You should receive one at-seat service between Edinburgh and Newcastle, another one between Newcastle and York, the next between York and Birmingham, and probably a final one between Birmingham and Bristol

Status
Not open for further replies.