• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice Needed - Glasgow to Glenogil

Status
Not open for further replies.

lxfe_mxtterz

Hi all.

There's the possibility I may end up in Glasgow for a couple of days soon, and if so I'm planning to visit Redwings Mountains (horse sanctuary) in Glenogil.

The only problem is I have very little idea how to go about getting there! The location is very remote, and there doesn't appear to be a timetabled bus service in the area.

Therefore, assuming I'd have to use a taxi for the last leg, my initial thoughts were something along the lines of...

Glasgow > Dundee (train)
Dundee > Forfar (bus)
Forfar > Glenogil (taxi)

Not hugely thrilled by the idea of using a taxi, given the price and amount of bad experiences I've had, so does anybody know if there is a demand-responsive bus or similar operating in the area?

Are there any other (easier) ways of getting there?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6130

Established Member
If, by any chance, you are a cyclist, National Cycle Route 16 runs between Forfar and Glenogil, with an estimated one-way time of 3 hours and 30 minutes. Perhaps you could hire a bike in Forfar?

Veteran Member
Googlemaps is helpful here, and suggests there are very limited buses at school times which would get you within a mile of destination - the nearest is actually operated by Stagecoach. I would suggest contacting the organisation- rural bus operators (maybe not Stagecoach) often do taxis as well in between school runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.