• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice on a Scottish Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredtheshred

Hi all.

My 9 year old lad wants to do a Scottish trip over the summer holidays, using Glasgow as a base. I'm a bit out of touch with the units up there, so can anyone advise which stations are best?

I think Glasgow Central is best for 156's and 380's ?

For 158's, is it only Queen st in glasgow, unless I go to Edinburgh?

For 318's, 320's, 334's, is it best at Partick?

For 385's, is it Central, Queen St, or Edinburgh?

My son just wants to see the maximum numbers for sight really.

Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
Hi all.

My 9 year old lad wants to do a Scottish trip over the summer holidays, using Glasgow as a base. I'm a bit out of touch with the units up there, so can anyone advise which stations are best?

I think Glasgow Central is best for 156's and 380's ?

Many thanks.

Edinburgh would be better for 170s , not many at Queen St now .

While there is 385s at Glasgow Central , there is not as many for sure , on a few services .
Partick would be a good station for them units .

Yes , Central for 156s and 380s

route101

Established Member
385 routes are from Queen St to Edinburgh via Falkirk High and Grahamston and to Stirling ,Alloa and Dunblane
From Central its some Lanark , most Shotts and some Inverlclyde . With some Cathcart Circle and Newton .

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I think Glasgow Central is best for 156's and 380's

A few 156s at Queen Street, but definitely more at Central. 380s galore at Central.

The odd one in Central on Shotts line services, but most are 385s now. Queen Street also most 158 workings now 385s. Edinburgh definitely better for 158s.

Yes, you'll see all 3 classes Beth frequently there or at Hyndland further up. Partick has side platforms, Hyndland is an island so you can see trains in either direction more easily.

All 3, more frequent at Queen Street/Edinburgh but there are usually a few every hour at Central now.

If you want to see lots of trains in quick succession - Edinburgh Haymarket, pretty much every ScotRail class passes through and trains are very frequent!

Oh and I forgot 170's?

None at Central, a few at Queen Street, Edinburgh has by far more 170 workings.

Kite159

Veteran Member
You might get the odd 158/170 floating around Queen Street on the shorter long-distance services (Dundee terminators) and some of the Aberdeen/Inverness services. Plus the Anniesland shuttle.

Hyndland is better for spotting units, as it's an island platform, although you might need to note carriage numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.