• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice on Single Justice Procedure Notice unusual situation

furlong

Established Member
I don't see much point in investing in a conversation with the court when WMT should withdraw and accept the proper settlement offered.
OK - I understand now. (And if the application failed, the plea could be still modified as it wouldn't actually have been taken yet. The relevant regulation has probably not had much testing yet. I don't know exactly what the challenges might be, but it is conceivable that a train company might want to raise technical challenges against its applicability in the particular, or indeed any, circumstances.)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
The SJP system is defined in sections 16A and onward of the Magistrates Court Act 1980. Under section 16A (1) (d) (ii) of the Act, a defendant may send the designated court officer a notification that they do not wish to be tried under the SJP, in which case the case reverts to the normal magistrates court system and a summons is issued to appear in the traditional way.

This is most commonly done by indicating the “not guilty” option on the SJPN, but that does not constitute actually pleading not guilty, which can only be done in person.

Freddie101

West Midlands Trains should have written to request payment of the penalty fare, which I believe will now be £105.40. They could then start civil recovery measures, perhaps using a debt collection agency and a county court claim.

Personally, I would write to both the court and cross copy the letters.

1) To WMT - Apologise for the delay in payment, enclose a cheque for the full amount due, not their offer. Note that they are unable to prosecute for this matter as it has been appealed and the penalty fare regulations specifically prohibit prosecution of appealed penalty notices.

2) To the court - return the SPJN with a Not Guilty plea and a covering letter to say that the matter should not have been brought to the court as the penalty fare has been appealed. Quote the legislation per Furlong's post.

Sorry - I don't have time now to help with drafts, others may be along to help

If this was my own problem as such I would definitely take your advice to cross copy the letters etc.
But as my sister is not here to sign anything or do anything about it in person I think the best option is to pay the settlement offer online and ensure my address is not associated with any debt in the future.
Hopefully this thread will help others if they have received SJNP notice but actually shouldn’t have.

Last edited:

Puffing Devil

Established Member
It's a pragmatic decision for you and your sister that will only cost £50 more, and perhaps your time and effort are worth more than £50 to make it go away.

It is frustrating to see Train Companies ignore the legislation through negligence or deliberate action, though I fully respect your decision.

The TOCs do read this forum - I hope they've studied this thread and will take note.

tspaul26

Established Member
Otherwise (or additionally) she might contact the court to say she thinks the prosecutor might have made an error of law and to ask how to ask the court to consider this prior to entering a plea.
I have refrained from posting in this thread so far, but given the procedural complexity of this case and some of the (potentially dangerous) misapprehensions that are being posted I have a few points to make.

First of all, the prosecutor has not made an “error of law”. The approach in a case where a prosecution is brought following a first stage penalty fare appeal is to make a plea in bar to seek a stay of proceedings.

However, this must be done whilst the proceedings are still live which is not the case here i.e. there is nothing to be stayed.

If the case is not live then This means that it is necessary to succeed on the section 142 application to rescind the order of conviction before making the plea in bar, although the bar on prosecution will be relevant to whether the section 142 application to rescind is granted. A statutory declaration under section 16E might also be considered post conviction, although for someone based overseas there is some complexity around procuring this.
Specifically, she might want to take advice about applying to the court to stay proceedings as an abuse of process on the grounds that the train company has already imposed a civil penalty upon her in respect of this incident and so to prosecute additionally on what are the very same facts would amount to double jeopardy (double punishment in this context)
This “double jeopardy” line of argument is without legal merit and would be an unreasonable waste of court time.
and furthermore, failing that, the regulations under which that civil penalty was imposed explicitly provide that there are no circumstances in which a prosecution for the offence on the SJPN can be brought should she have filed an appeal against the penalty and should that appeal have been decided, as it has been, as evidenced by the letter.
This evidence needs to be adduced to the court in support of the section 142 application. An MG11 witness statement (lodged in process and intimated to the prosecutor in advance of the hearing) explaining what happened, the relevant dates and exhibiting the appeal decision letter would be eminently suitable for this purpose.
If the court accepted the first leg of the argument, before 'furthermore', that might lead to implications for others more broadly and the train company might seek to appeal and the legal costs could begin to mount up.)
As above, there is no merit in this “double jeopardy” argument.
Perhaps SJP works differently (and I couldn't track down the relevant procedural documentation online), but I don't understand how the defendant can be required to enter a plea PRIOR to the application to stay proceedings being heard.
The ordering of the roll is a matter for the court. The accused cannot insist on a plea in bar being heard first, although it often will be. For example, had the case proceeded under the ‘normal’ process of information and summons, the accused would be expected to appear, enter a plea and then raise the plea in bar at that first hearing (unless agreement was reached with the prosecutor to drop the case prior to that first hearing). The case would then normally be adjourned off for further process and, potentially, a procedure hearing on the plea in bar before a district judge.

Once the problem is pointed out, wouldn't the normal course of events be for the prosecutor to accept the mistake and withdraw the case, but if they chose not to do this, wouldn't the application to stay proceedings be scheduled next,
Not necessarily.
and only if that failed would a plea be entered?
Again, not necessarily.
(If the application failed and the case went ahead, the defendant might decide to plead guilty; but surely they wouldn't want to plead guilty to a charge believed to be invalid in law until the matter of its legality was resolved.)
Defendants do so all the time: it’s called plea bargaining.
The SJP system is defined in sections 16A and onward of the Magistrates Court Act 1980. Under section 16A (1) (d) (ii) of the Act, a defendant may send the designated court officer a notification that they do not wish to be tried under the SJP, in which case the case reverts to the normal magistrates court system and a summons is issued to appear in the traditional way.
Correct, although in this case section 16A(1)(d)(ii) is not available because the time period has expired.

Four steps need to be followed and successfully completed by the accused in the first instance.

If already convicted in absentia:
  1. A successful section 142 application to rescind the order of conviction.
  2. As soon as that order is rescinded, lodging a section 16E statutory declaration with the court together with an application for an extension of time to lodge it (if necessary) on account of the accused’s overseas residence outwith the jurisdiction.
  3. A written notification of an intention to plead not guilty and objecting to being tried under section 16A.
  4. An application for an adjournment to a pre-trial hearing at which the plea in bar will be dealt with prior to a plea being taken.
All of this should be intimated in writing in advance to both the court and the prosecutor.

If still within the original response period for the SJPN, only steps 3. and 4. need be done.
This is most commonly done by indicating the “not guilty” option on the SJPN, but that does not constitute actually pleading not guilty, which can only be done in person.
Correct.

Last edited:

Freddie101

Have paid the settlement offer on my sisters behalf bearing in mind she is a 21 year old student and I am 37 year old with a ‘good’ job. Thanks so much for all your advice it has been much appreciated.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Have paid the settlement offer on my sisters behalf bearing in mind she is a 21 year old student and I am 37 year old with a ‘good’ job. Thanks so much for all your advice it has been much appreciated.
Of course keep all the paperwork that was involved with this - as well as proof of payment of the settlement offer, in a safe place, for a decent length of time. Not sure if you can also get a written confirmation that any further risk of court action will now cease, but if you can that would be handy to get and retain, and for your sister to hold copies of all this stuff.

furlong

Established Member
A successful section 142 application to rescind the order of conviction.

What precisely was there to rescind? There are live proceedings and the OP's sister was aware of them via the OP - or does hearing about them indirectly when out of the country not count?

island

Veteran Member
However, this must be done whilst the proceedings are still live which is not the case here i.e. there is nothing to be stayed.

This means that it is necessary to succeed on the section 142 application to rescind the order of conviction before making the plea in bar, although the bar on prosecution will be relevant to whether the section 142 is granted.

Correct, although in this case section 16A(1)(d)(ii) is not available because the time period has expired.
Begging your pardon but I believe you have made a mistake of fact. The first post says that the date by which to respond to the SJPN is 23•APR•24. It would follow that the time period has not expired and the proceedings are still live.

furlong

Established Member
Anyway, the settlement offer has been paid so these other points are now academic.

To summarise for future reference: plead not guilty to the SJPN; ask the court to hear a plea in bar, the sequencing of which is up to the court, hope the court agrees and stays proceedings. (Abuse of process is one type of plea in bar. - tspaul26 proposes a simpler type.)

tspaul26

Established Member
Begging your pardon but I believe you have made a mistake of fact. The first post says that the date by which to respond to the SJPN is 23•APR•24. It would follow that the time period has not expired and the proceedings are still live.
Indeed, in which event steps 1. and 2. could be omitted (payment of the settlement sum to one side).