• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice re Glasgow to Forth Bridge

Halsebee

Hi,
I want to travel from Glasgow over the Forth Bridge and back again tomorrow, leaving after about 0900.
Friend suggested out via Edinburgh, return via Stirling. I can't see an easy route to come back via Stirling however.
Can anyone suggest the best way to do a circuit, or is it best to go over the bridge then back again to Edinburgh.
If doing a c8r3cuot via perhaps Perth, I am happy using any form of split tickets or tickets from Glasgow to somewhere that allows travel via different routes there and back, if cheaper

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Day return to North Queensferry £23:90, walk south across old road bridge to Dalmeny & get train home if you have the time and the weather is good. Good views of the rail bridge from the walk. Change at Haymarket.

I walked the route in January albeit from Edinburgh. https://www.theforthbridges.org/visit-the-forth-bridges/forth-bridges-trail/

EDIT Although I find that map confusing and this one simpler:
1711363085283.png
Exit North Queensferry from the northbound platform, turn right up the road and follow the signs for "Community Centre", walk through its car park and continue along the wide footpath (through the ‘60’ altitude marker / contour label on the map) which leads to steps down to the bridge on what is now the A9000.
Presumably the B981 would work also as a route.

Last edited:

Halsebee

Thank you. Would the ticket be valid via Edinburgh Waverley if I wanted to break journey there?
Also the ticket now seems to be £25.60, or am I missing something?

jfollows

Established Member
Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Off Peak Return or Anytime Return is £25-60.

Off Peak Day Return is £23-90.

Ticket from Glasgow Cen/QST to North Queensferry is certainly valid for break of journey at Haymarket.

jfollows

Established Member
Thank you. Would the ticket be valid via Edinburgh Waverley if I wanted to break journey there?
Also the ticket now seems to be £25.60, or am I missing something?
You can change at Edinburgh. I think it's actually slightly cheaper to split tickets at Edinburgh too - buy a return Glasgow-Edinburgh and a return Edinburgh-North Queensferry. But it's OK to change at Edinburgh on the one ticket also.

Hi,
I want to travel from Glasgow over the Forth Bridge and back again tomorrow, leaving after about 0900.
Friend suggested out via Edinburgh, return via Stirling. I can't see an easy route to come back via Stirling however.
Can anyone suggest the best way to do a circuit, or is it best to go over the bridge then back again to Edinburgh.
If doing a c8r3cuot (circuit) via perhaps Perth, I am happy using any form of split tickets or tickets from Glasgow to somewhere that allows travel via different routes there and back, if cheaper
Glasgow to Perth is valid via Falkirk/Edinburgh/Forth Bridge as well as the direct route. An off-peak day return is actually cheaper too.

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Glasgow to Perth is valid via Falkirk/Edinburgh/Forth Bridge as well as the direct route. An off-peak day return is actually cheaper too.
That's £18.40, and would allow travel via Stirling, yes?