• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice required for travel on 7th March - cancelled train

NorthWestRover

Established Member
I'd appreciate any help you experts can provide...

Bought tickets via Trainsplit.

Travelling Thursday 7th March.

Tickets as follows:-

Leighton Buzzard to Rugby - return of Off Peak Day Return, route Any Permitted
17.34 Leighton Buzzard to Milton Keynes
17.52 Milton Keynes to Rugby

Rugby to Birmingham New St - Off Peak Single, route Avanti
18.15 Rugby to Birmingham NS

Birmingham NS to Wigan - Advance Single, route Avantiwestcoast
19.07 Birmingham NS to Wigan

The 17.52 off Milton Keynes which is the same train as the 18.15 off Rugby has been cancelled (notified by Trainsplit earlier today)

There is an 18.15 Milton Keynes to Crewe (Avanti, but not via Birmingham) that would enable me to pick up the 19.07 from Birmingham at Crewe and arrive in Wigan at 20.36. On time.

To go via Birmingham and on Avanti, the only option would appear to be 18.52 off Milton Keynes, then 21.07 off Birmingham to Stafford, onto 21.59 to Wigan. Arrive back at 22.48. 132 minutes late.

Can I do the former or does my split mean I have to do the latter? If the former is technically allowed, how would I best get confirmation from Avanti? If the former is not allowed, would it still be worth asking Avanti, and if so, who? Twitter, Train Manager?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Your Advance is for BHM-WGN, so strictly you have an additional option::
- take an earlier train to Birmingham (1715 Avanti from Rugby, I assume the flexible tickets are valid at that time) and waiting for the 1907.
If you travel later as you suggest a claim for delay repay kay fall foul of the "timetable of the day" rule.
If you try for the 1815 go for Avanti twitter for starters, but it's worth trying the TM as they tend to be pragmatic.

NorthWestRover

Established Member
Avanti Twitter say no go on the 18.15 via Trent Valley because of "routing". They will allow me to travel on 16.55 WM/LNR from Leighton Buzzard to Birmingham but not sure I can get there for that train.

JBuchananGB

If you missed the 1655, you could catch the 1702, change at Milton Keynes, and beat the 1655 to Rugby, joining it there.

Another option seems to be the 18.19 from Milton Keynes due Crewe 19.57. You could partially regularise your route by buying tickets from Rugby to Crewe. The UK Rail Forums site will sell that as a 3 ticket split for £32.22. (Excluding any Railcard discounts) You would still be starting late on the leg from Crewe to Wigan. People will argue that you shouldn't have to pay for extra tickets, but it depends on your circumstances.

You could then refund the Rugby to Birmingham ticket, without admin charge on grounds of disruption.

Last edited:

NorthWestRover

Established Member
Well, I made the 16.55 and am now on the last leg. All worked out in the end. Thanks for advice.

JBuchananGB

I see it sat down for half an hour at Crewe. Report of a trespass incident at Wigan North Western. Long haul. Don't forget that you can claim Delay Repay for all the tickets used on the journey.

JBuchananGB

There is a decent fish & chip shop outside the station which I have patronised when so late at Wigan, that I was having to wait 50 minutes for next train to Southport.

NorthWestRover

Established Member
Indeed. However, I live 5 minutes away from NW, so home now.

Delay Repay approved already. £21 which is ok.

Last edited: