• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Agencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRAINER

I think its shocking that agencies like Coyle are taking £15/£20 from their workers re PTS training even from staff that only work one shift !!!!!
Surely illeagal ?????

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

giles01

PTS is two days, PTS with TIC is 10 and NVQ can take upto 10 weeks

Yes it's illegal in that no company is allowed to charge for training - Pts or anything!!!! OR PPE, this has been raised with NWR in the last few weeks.

Just point out though that not all agencies charge, just the odd one or two to my knowledge and something needs to be done about it!

graham

One way to beat the charges is dont give them your details and dont work for them. They keep a data bank of PTS No's and pass the info to large infrastructure companies saying they can supply the labour, even if you have never done a shift for them, but most agencies are good. Stay away from the London boys YOU WILL get shafted somewhere along the line !! As for the Polish I think they are hard workers....but I was required to go on a comms course SAFF 1 .....I had to make an emergency call to the signaller....anyone tell me what happens when a Polish worker has to go find the interpreter before he can make the call??? Its extemely worrying....How do they get PTS cards?? A genuine answer would be good.:|

Old Timer

Established Member
Because they are an Agency and not an employer, thye can act as they wish.

Some Agencies however employ staff, in which case their only responsibility is to provide basic PPE. To get around the fact that many people could join get all the PPE and training and then go and work for someone else, they raise a charge which is refundfable on return of the clothing or is rebatable over a period of time.

PPE which is above the basic standard can be charged for.

As for training you need PTS to DO the job, not as a consequence of taking the job. There is a subtle difference.

Network Rail have absolutely NO interest in doing anything about Agencies, indeed they encourage them and use them to deflate wage costs year on year. How can NR reduce costs other than by forcing its Agency labour into cheap PPE and buy it in at rock bottom prices. Good people are walking away because there are better opportunities overseas and outside the Industry, and in any case only those who cannot get a job with a major Infrastructure Contractor would ever consider working for NR.

Network Rail are determined to remove the big Infrastructure Contractors who pay their people properly and provide good terms and conditions of employment, as well as good training and competency arrangements.

If you pay peanuts you WILL get monkeys, but then that is what NR want.

Network Rail's attitude towards it staff and major Contractors has already been the subject of a statement in Parliament however I have no wish to repeat what was said for obvious reasons. The MP who said it was absolutely correct in his summation of the situation, and it was far from flattering.

TRAINER

I think that you will find that most agencies "charge" ....it may be disguised as admin or o/heads.....Scotweld have a "training account" for employees etc.

giles01

Trainer, I agree most companies do however, there are still a few of us that don't!!!!!!

What needs to be looked at is how the charging is done in relation to PAYE or Sub Contract workers and there is a difference to this in the eyes of the law. Shocking but so true.

Status
Not open for further replies.