• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Air purifying trial at New Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowball

Established Member
Press release

Pioneering new devices will be trialled at Birmingham New Street station to see how much they improve air quality for passengers on platforms.

Network Rail will install two upright ‘totems’ later this year to filter pollutants and viruses from the air on platforms 10 and 11.

The purification systems work by taking in air at the bottom before it’s passed through a series of filters with clean air then released at head height.

It’s hoped this will make platforms more pleasant for passengers by reducing the impact from train exhaust fumes.

A recent trial of similar units, made by a company called Pluvo, saw promising improvements on a busy street in London*.

It’s hoped the trials will complement the major multi-million-pound investment into the station’s overhead ventilation system four years ago**.

The central sections of the units will feature large visual displays which will show passengers how they work and what else Network Rail is doing to provide a cleaner and greener railway.

If the trial on platforms 10 and 11 is successful, the plan is to install more of the devices along other platforms at the station in the future.

*A recent trial of similar outdoor units in London saw a reduction of up to 67% in particulate matter, and 22% in Nitrous Oxides.

**Birmingham New Street uses the latest technology to optimise its ventilation system to remove diesel pollutants from trains. More than 100 sensors and 98 jet fans have been upgraded since 2018 in a £1m investment, leading to reductions of nitrous oxide of up to 45%.

The legal regulations Network Rail meets

Network Rail has a legal duty to comply within the Workplace Exposure Limits (WELs) as defined under COSHH (The Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002 (as amended) regulations as far as reasonably practicable when trains are within its stations.

The 2008 Ambient Air Quality Directive (2008/50/EC) sets legally binding limits and target values for concentrations of major air pollutants. It applies to outdoor ambient air and not within enclosed stations such as New Street. The different limits we are governed by are;

· Long Term NO2 Limit: 8-hour Long term Exposure Limit (LTEL) 0.5 ppm (955 μg/m3)

· NO: 8-hour LTEL 2.0 ppm (2,500 μg/m3)

· Short Term NO2: 15 minute STEL 1.0 ppm (1,910 μg/m3)

One of the requirements under COSHH is to control Diesel Exhaust Emissions at source by local exhaust ventilation, and general ventilation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
Well, as a stop-gap 'every little helps' type thing I guess it's better than a kick in the teeth, but @GRALISTAIR is right what the long-term solution should be. Bi-Mode or Battery units in the medium term and then get some wires up!

The Ham

Established Member
Well, as a stop-gap 'every little helps' type thing I guess it's better than a kick in the teeth, but @GRALISTAIR is right what the long-term solution should be. Bi-Mode or Battery units in the medium term and then get some wires up!

Indeed, whilst such interventions are needed, we should have started to put up more wires in around Birmingham by now - however the sooner the better.

Snow1964

Established Member
I don't know how long the filters in these new units will last before they need changing, probably nearer days or hours, than weeks or months.

But the real problems are the 220 and 221s. Exhausts scattered along length of train. Prior to them, Cross country trains had a loco which pulled up to an open air section (yes, station designers left the part where exhausts were supposed to be open).

There was actually a period (in late 1990s) after cross city line was electrified, where the air in station wasn't bad. ..... but then the 220s and 221s were introduced.

We have loading gauge, route availability (weight) restrictions, even class group (no class 8, or 7 etc). Perhaps it is time to have emissions restrictions for certain sections of electrified line (actually we already do, diesels on Thameslink or Crossrail aren't routinely permitted), so time to add Birmingham New Street to the list.

AndrewE

Established Member
Agreed, and what is worse, this sticking plaster will be more platform clutter (at a station where platform space is at a premium) and will consume yet more energy. It would be far better in every way to put our national money and effort into eliminating diesel-worked trains by whatever means (or combination of means) is most appropriate in any area.
Regarding their claims, 1) I really can't see a few of these making a big difference to the overall air quality throughout the platform areas as 2) I suspect that the claimed cleaning capability is measured at the outlet of the device.

The other thing is that it is disingenuous to claim that Workplace Exposure limits have any relevance. They are set for fit people of working age and allow for non-working time recovery. The real comparator should be the environmental standards (which they don't quote) and which are several orders of magnitude lower because they are needeed to protect old and young people and those with compromised respiratory health. There is a Guardian article today relating to air quality: https://www.theguardian.com/environ...tm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=GTUK_email
Hundreds of doctors have urged politicians to stand firm on initiatives to tackle air pollution, warning that they see its “devastating health consequences” in patients on a daily basis.

Air pollution is the single largest environmental risk to public health, linked to between 28,000 and 36,000 UK deaths a year. The estimated cost to the NHS and social care of air pollutants is estimated to be £1.6bn between 2017 and 2025.

Keir Starmer and other senior Labour figures have prompted alarm among health professionals after they called on the London mayor, Sadiq Khan, to reflect on the expansion of the capital’s ultra-low emission zone (Ulez) after the Uxbridge byelection defeat.
etc

TJM

I notice they don't quote the cost of them - can hardly be cheap... Wonder how it compares to bi-modes.

Bluejays

Great idea. That should hopefully make an immediate improvement. Few of them in the tube would be a nice idea

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Indeed, whilst such interventions are needed, we should have started to put up more wires in around Birmingham by now - however the sooner the better.

There aren't that many diesels in New St anyway that couldn't be replaced or mitigated even without wires.

Avanti: Voyagers to be replaced with 80x
XC: Replace Voyagers and 170s with bi-modes with automatic on the move changeover
WMT: Only the Herefords and Shrewsburys, could these all be put into platform 4C so outside? Plus they'll be 197s so not that polluting. Perhaps require engines to be shut down while laying over?

That would only leave the hourly TfW in each direction, which once it's new 197s won't kick out much in the way of fumes.

Voyagers are about 90% of the problem.

zwk500

Veteran Member
There aren't that many diesels in New St anyway that couldn't be replaced or mitigated even without wires.

Avanti: Voyagers to be replaced with 80x
XC: Replace Voyagers and 170s with bi-modes with automatic on the move changeover
WMT: Only the Herefords and Shrewsburys, could these all be put into platform 4C so outside? Plus they'll be 197s so not that polluting. Perhaps require engines to be shut down while laying over?

That would only leave the hourly TfW in each direction, which once it's new 197s won't kick out much in the way of fumes.

Voyagers are about 90% of the problem.
Wiring to Shrewsbury, or wiring to Wellington with batteries into Shrewsbury, would help. Hereford is much harder, might have to just live with that one. But the big problem is XC aren't in line for new stock any time soon.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Wiring to Shrewsbury, or wiring to Wellington with batteries into Shrewsbury, would help. Hereford is much harder, might have to just live with that one.

True. But even 3 brand new DMUs per hour isn't that disastrous. As long as they're switched off whlie laying over, or platform 4C is used.

But the big problem is XC aren't in line for new stock any time soon.

That's one of the biggest problems on the railway to be honest!

What do they do with the bits that are filtered out?

They'll sit in the filter until emptied into a bin. It's just like a big vacuum cleaner.

zwk500

Veteran Member
True. But even 3 brand new DMUs per hour isn't that disastrous. As long as they're switched off whlie laying over, or platform 4C is used.
Hereford trains can't get to 4C (it's only available to trains to/from Soho Jns). I wonder if batteries might be enough to get to Hereford and back if the Fast lines to Barnt Green were wired.
That's one of the biggest problems on the railway to be honest!
Very True. A shame we won't get a tag-on order for more IETs.

AndrewE

Established Member
The [particulate will] sit in the filter until emptied into a bin. It's just like a big vacuum cleaner.
I very much doubt that. Empty it in a bin and a lot of it will become airborn again. There will be replaceable pre-filters for the particulate which (will probably get incinerated) plus maybe an electrostatic impingement / liquid scrubbing stage which will need to be serviced regularly, or maybe a reducing catalytic converter to get the nitrogen oxides back down to N2 and O2 - whoch will need replacing or regenerating periodically.
Their website is very opaque. Absolutely no hint of ongoing energy, maintainance/consumables and waste treatment costs. I doubt that even a dozen of these would have a significant impact on platform air. Better to put big air movers at the end of the platform and keep a breeze of outside air purging the platforms - polluted though it is.
Better still would be to eliminate diesel working.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Better to put big air movers at the end of the platform and keep a breeze of outside air purging the platforms - polluted though it is.

There are already the overhead pulse-jet fans which do work when it gets bad, but they are incredibly noisy. They are the same sort of fans you have in road tunnels.

But yes, best to get rid of most of the DMUs. It wouldn't be nearly the same issue if it was just the TfWs and the Hereford and Shrewsbury, particularly once they're all CAF DMUs with modern emissions kit.

Last edited:

zwk500

Veteran Member
Better to put big air movers at the end of the platform and keep a breeze of outside air purging the platforms - polluted though it is.
Given the amount of stuff hanging from the roof, how big would the air movers have to be to create a noticeable flow? Especially when you consider how the trains arriving and departing will disrupt the airflow.
Better still would be to eliminate diesel working.
Yes.

AndrewE

Established Member
There are already the overhead pulse-jet fans which do work when it gets bad, but they are incredibly noisy. They are the same sort of fans you have in road tunnels.
so they are the wrong tool for the job then, or the spec was incompetently drawn up
Given the amount of stuff hanging from the roof, how big would the air movers have to be to create a noticeable flow? Especially when you consider how the trains arriving and departing will disrupt the airflow.
Train movements will cause turbulence, but if you look at the outside air movements (wind direction) and then reinforce that directional flow (if there is one) you could have a one-way flow. The class 60s are quiet locos because the cooling fans were designed to be quiet, the 92s are outrageously noisy because whoever specced them ignored fan noise. They could be retro-fitted with quieter fans.

Ditto New St, but you are not limited to fans. Compressed air-powered air movers (if designed and installed right) can be very effective. I once walked in front of one which I hadn't realised was working and it nearly knocked me off my feet!

Taunton

Established Member
But the real problems are the 220 and 221s. Exhausts scattered along length of train. Prior to them, Cross country trains had a loco which pulled up to an open air section (yes, station designers left the part where exhausts were supposed to be open).
You are correct. Probably never thought about in the new train design. Along with their extraordinarily thunderous and high-rpm "idling" from each car when stationary, which drowns out not only PA announcements but also all normal speech.

And loco exhausts were indeed thought about in such station designs. Likewise the new late-1960s New Street had overhead exhaust extractors provided, which seem to have been given up, and makes me think this new 'reinvention of the wheel' approach will likely go the same way once someone loses interest in it.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
And loco exhausts were indeed thought about in such station designs. Likewise the new late-1960s New Street had overhead exhaust extractors provided, which seem to have been given up, and makes me think this new 'reinvention of the wheel' approach will likely go the same way once someone loses interest in it.

The overhead pulse jet fans do work, but they only kick in when it gets very bad because they make an almighty racket, completely drowning out announcements, so pose an accessibility issue. They are like standing by a plane with the engines running full pelt.

Taunton

Established Member
The class 60s are quiet locos because the cooling fans were designed to be quiet, the 92s are outrageously noisy because whoever specced them ignored fan noise. They could be retro-fitted with quieter fans.
General Motors cracked this one a generation ago with fan blades slightly assymetrically spaced, balanced by hub balancing weights, which overcame the harmonic noise generated when all blades are spaced equally. It was done entirely for noise reduction.

A proper mechanical consultant will tell how to design fans and (especially) ductwork to minimise noise of static installations. Which is why major building air-con installations are now completely silent. Didn't used to be.

Mikey C

Established Member
Seeing that they are going to be around for a while, I'm surprised there haven't been trials to fit battery packs to the Voyagers to enable them to enter and leave stations like New Street on battery power, something similar to what Chiltern tried on the 165s.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
What happens to the bin?

I'd assume it goes to landfill. It's basically just carbon, with a bit of added muck. It's harmful to the lungs because of the size of the unfiltered particles, not because of what they're made of.

The viruses bit is just COVID babble or an attempt to hide the fact that basically all the pollution is of railway origin (i.e. diesel fumes and brake dust), or just someone reading what HEPA filters can technically do. There won't be significant quantities of viruses knocking around a semi-open station.

AndrewE

Established Member
I'd assume it goes to landfill. It's basically just carbon, with a bit of added muck. It's harmful to the lungs because of the size of the unfiltered particles, not because of what they're made of.

The viruses bit is just COVID babble or an attempt to hide the fact that basically all the pollution is of railway origin (i.e. diesel fumes and brake dust), or just someone reading what HEPA filters can technically do. There won't be significant quantities of viruses knocking around a semi-open station.
As I said, I would be very surprised if they actually use HEPA filters... which don't give you a bin of dust either. And there are a lot of other nasties adsorbed onto the surface of the soot, which are the bits which make it carcinogenic. It takes a lot of power to suck air through HEPA filters and they take a lot of managing too, you dispose of them with the particulate attached. I would expect a physical pre-filter then some sort of wet or electrostatic collection...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
As I said, I would be very surprised if they actually use HEPA filters... which don't give you a bin of dust either. And there are a lot of other nasties adsorbed onto the surface of the soot, which are the bits which make it carcinogenic. It takes a lot of power to suck air through HEPA filters and they take a lot of managing too, you dispose of them with the particulate attached. I would expect a physical pre-filter then some sort of wet or electrostatic collection...

You may be right regarding what they use, but HEPA filters can have a dust bin. Literally every single vacuum cleaner these days uses a HEPA filter and a dust bin.

AndrewE

Established Member
You may be right regarding what they use, but HEPA filters can have a dust bin. Literally every single vacuum cleaner these days uses a HEPA filter and a dust bin.
It's more likely that a vacuum cleaner has cyclone or some other filter/collector which dumps into a "dust bin" with a hepa filter to clean up the exhaust from that primary stage. The particulate collected by a hepa filter stays stuck to it - unless it is grossly overloaded and lumps of aggregated particulate get shaken off. You wouldn't want to waste the capacity of your expensive filter with coarser dust either. My vacuum cleaner has a dust bag, then another filter to protect the motor from dust in the cooling air, then an extra/final hepa stage at the end if you want to pay for it.

Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 15-44-59 Miele - SF-HA 50 – Vacuum cleaner accessories.png

option

Hereford trains can't get to 4C (it's only available to trains to/from Soho Jns). I wonder if batteries might be enough to get to Hereford and back if the Fast lines to Barnt Green were wired.

Very True. A shame we won't get a tag-on order for more IETs.

Bromsgrove - Hereford is ~66km. Read recently that 80k is about the reasonable limit of battery trains. So would be a long time recharging at Hereford.

The fix is more electrification.
Birmingham to Shrewsbury is a nice straight run, with it already done to Wolverhampton.
There's also the Snow Hill lines, which should have been being done now instead of new DMUs!

zwk500

Veteran Member
Bromsgrove - Hereford is ~66km. Read recently that 80k is about the reasonable limit of battery trains. So would be a long time recharging at Hereford.
Not impossible to build into the timetable, but would mean turning short if any delays started creeping in
The fix is more electrification.
Birmingham to Shrewsbury is a nice straight run, with it already done to Wolverhampton.
There's also the Snow Hill lines, which should have been being done now instead of new DMUs!
Yes. Shrewsbury is difficult because of the signalling, but the Snow Hill lines are long overdue.

Status
Not open for further replies.