• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Airdrie–Bathgate rail link - 10 years on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceat0908

Personally, when I used the route pre pandemic, between 7.30 and 8.30 I’d say every 3rd seat was filled before Bathgate, almost all seats filled by Bathgate and standing room only by uphall. Would half empty at Edinburgh park with the rest going to edinburgh. I’d say the same flow going out. I remember one day when a 3 car turned up vice 6 car. It was that busy by LiVingston north that most could not board. However, out with peaks, I had a carriage to myself very frequently as far as Livingston.

The 334s are a nice change from the usual commuter stock out of Edinburgh. However I do not like sitting over the bogies as on some units they make a horrible, loud squeaking noise. Which even for the 20 min journey to livingston north is unbearable.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sunnyside

Hi, first time poster here, so be gentle.

I'm a regular user of the line and commute to Edinburgh (or more accurately did before Covid) and cant help thinking that the fare structure Scotrail have is a bit nonsensical and prevents the line from delivering more benefits, and to be specific i mean attracting more passengers and taking cars off the M8. In normal circumstances I would travel into the office 3 days per week which from memory (I find it amazing myself that I can't remember exacly how much the fare were, but that's lockdown for you) was about £23 a day from Coatbridge on the AB line, and the "peak" train I'd tend to get at around 6.55 was almost deserted between coatbridge and at least Bathgate. Meanwhile the M8 is nose to tail with cars, and im quite certain at least some of those drivers would prefer to be on the train but find the cost prohibitive. The peak/off peak system doesn't make much sense to me if empty early morning trains are classed as peak, nor does the pricing structure that sees Airdrie have much higher fares towards Edinburgh than somewhere like Shotts or Falkirk have, taking the relative distances into account (not to mention the much slower journey time than from Falkirk). I know someone that drives from Coatbridge to Bathgate and boards there as the fare is about half of what it would cost from Airdrie. I myself sometimes drive up the M9 to Ingliston when the weather's nice and use the park and ride/tram. Even with diesel costs its a fair bit less than the train. This isn't just a moan about ticket prices (ok, it partly is) but with a system of fares that was more logical and directly linked to journey distance and travel time, and that incentivised travel at times when trains were actually running at less than capacity surely it would be possible for Scotrail to get more people out of cars and onto trains, increase revenue and smooth demand?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
It's about 35 miles from Coatbridge Sunnyside direct to Edinburgh Waverley (SDR = £22.70) which is about 32.5p per mile, there and back, compared with a distance of 25 and a half miles from Falkirk High to Edinburgh Waverley (SDR = £14.00), i.e. 27.5p per mile, so the cost per mile from Coatbridge Sunnyside is indeed slightly higher, despite the longer distance and travel time.

Reckon that @Sunnyside might have a point and I wonder whether this is something to do with Coatbridge (and for that matter Airdrie) being just within the Strathclyde PTE area. Tickets for the shorter journey within the PTE area from Coatbridge Sunnyside to Glasgow Queen Street are priced at SDR = £6.70, so by contrast the fares from Coatbridge Sunnyside to Edinburgh Waverley are maybe set quite high to prevent split ticketing opportunities for anyone travelling all the way from Glasgow Queen Street to Edinburgh Waverley via Coatbridge Sunnyside. (Through SDR fare = £26.60).

That suggests to me that the Coatbridge Sunnyside to Edinburgh Waverley SDR fare probably won't be set at any less than a minimum of £20.00.

Last edited:

backontrack

Established Member
I'm getting suspicious about it, based on the fact that the people who are cheerleaders for pretty much every re-opening suggestion tend to be reduced to talking about how A2B is "useful" rather than providing evidence of it performing particularly well.

It's nice to have a fourth line between Edinburgh and Glasgow for diversions (there were already the Falkirk High line, the Shotts line and the Carstairs route - as well as the fact that the line via Grahamston and Cumbernauld provides another option in the case of disruption) but there are already three (and a half) lines between the cities so it wasn't like this new link was the only option when the line through Falkirk High was disrupted.

Obviously the kind of people who view any and every re-opening as a great thing (rather than as a means to an end, which sometimes fails to deliver as much as it promised) are going to treat this re-opening as a great thing - but I'd like to see some evidence of the expected passenger numbers to be able to actually assess whether this route was worthwhile (given that we could have spent the money on other projects)

There's a BBC article that mentions passenger numbers:

...but you'd expect passenger numbers from West Lothian to Edinburgh to increase a bit if you replace two DMUs per hour with four EMUs per hour - the question is how the overall passenger numbers on the route compare with the expected ones after ten years of operation
Maybe it's because your suspicions are unwarranted and we're just more preoccupied with other things than digging up the statistics.

A reopening doesn't have to meet your personal criteria for it to be considered a success. But it's alright as long as you can do what you always do, which is pigeonhole those of us who don't quite share that view as having no grasp of your level of consummate forensic detail - a vociferous herd of undiscerning enthusiasts. I'll get the crayons...

route101

Established Member

I'm a regular user of the line and commute to Edinburgh (or more accurately did before Covid) and cant help thinking that the fare structure Scotrail have is a bit nonsensical and prevents the line from delivering more benefits, and to be specific i mean attracting more passengers and taking cars off the M8. In normal circumstances I would travel into the office 3 days per week which from memory (I find it amazing myself that I can't remember exacly how much the fare were, but that's lockdown for you) was about £23 a day from Coatbridge on the AB line, and the "peak" train I'd tend to get at around 6.55 was almost deserted between coatbridge and at least Bathgate. Meanwhile the M8 is nose to tail with cars, and im quite certain at least some of those drivers would prefer to be on the train but find the cost prohibitive. The peak/off peak system doesn't make much sense to me if empty early morning trains are classed as peak, nor does the pricing structure that sees Airdrie have much higher fares towards Edinburgh than somewhere like Shotts or Falkirk have, taking the relative distances into account (not to mention the much slower journey time than from Falkirk). I know someone that drives from Coatbridge to Bathgate and boards there as the fare is about half of what it would cost from Airdrie. I myself sometimes drive up the M9 to Ingliston when the weather's nice and use the park and ride/tram. Even with diesel costs its a fair bit less than the train. This isn't just a moan about ticket prices (ok, it partly is) but with a system of fares that was more logical and directly linked to journey distance and travel time, and that incentivised travel at times when trains were actually running at less than capacity surely it would be possible for Scotrail to get more people out of cars and onto trains, increase revenue and smooth demand?

I think Scotrail should abolish the afternoon peak fare restriction in the central belt, serves no purpose now. As for the morning one, perhaps.

Aren't these fares from Airdrie/Coatbridge around the same as from Glasgow to Edinburgh?

alangla

It's about 35 miles from Coatbridge Sunnyside direct to Edinburgh Waverley (SDR = £22.70) which is about 32.5p per mile, there and back, compared with a distance of 25 and a half miles from Falkirk High to Edinburgh Waverley (SDR = £14.00), i.e. 27.5p per mile, so the cost per mile from Coatbridge Sunnyside is indeed slightly higher, despite the longer distance and travel time.

Reckon that @Sunnyside might have a point and I wonder whether this is something to do with Coatbridge (and for that matter Airdrie) being just within the Strathclyde PTE area. Tickets for the shorter journey within the PTE area from Coatbridge Sunnyside to Glasgow Queen Street are priced at SDR = £6.70, so by contrast the fares from Coatbridge Sunnyside to Edinburgh Waverley are maybe set quite high to prevent split ticketing opportunities for anyone travelling all the way from Glasgow Queen Street to Edinburgh Waverley via Coatbridge Sunnyside. (Through SDR fare = £26.60).

That suggests to me that the Coatbridge Sunnyside to Edinburgh Waverley SDR fare probably won't be set at any less than a minimum of £20.00.
They actually offered a cheaper route Airdrie fare at one point, I think when the Queen Street tunnel works were happening around 2016.

There are loads of silly anomalies in fares around the east of Glasgow, generally related to trains that have been rerouted, e.g. the Coatbridge to Edinburgh fare would originally have been routed via Queen Street & Falkirk, but when A2B opened the permitted route became Airdrie and the fare came down a bit but not significantly.
On the other side of Coatbridge, there’s an anomaly where a Kirkwood or Whifflet to Rutherglen SDR costs the same as a ticket to Glasgow Central and both cost considerably more than the fare to Carmyle. It used to be more expensive to go to Rutherglen than Central when the fare was routed via Central high level but after electrification & rerouting via low level this anomaly initially wasn’t corrected and, when it eventually was dealt with, ScotRail just made all the fares from the R&C to the Argyle line the same rather than putting in a proper graded fare structure. The most ridiculous example of this is a Carmyle to Rutherglen SDR costs nearly a fiver for 3 1/2 minutes and a couple of miles.
There’s whole sections of the fare structures in the Central Belt that need completely rewritten to take account of new & rerouted services, but they’ve largely just been bodged instead leading to the mess described above

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Maybe it's because your suspicions are unwarranted and we're just more preoccupied with other things than digging up the statistics.

A reopening doesn't have to meet your personal criteria for it to be considered a success. But it's alright as long as you can do what you always do, which is pigeonhole those of us who don't quite share that view as having no grasp of your level of consummate forensic detail - a vociferous herd of undiscerning enthusiasts. I'll get the crayons...

Perhaps I can help, with a view from my perspective.

We (and I mean those in the rail industry who study and develop new railway projects), regularly hear from project promoters that because some new lines / stations have patronage above forecasts, then the forecasting model is wrong. By extension, forecasts for their proposal using the same modelling techniques will be an underestimate, and thus the benefits will be higher than demonstrated. All entirely logical.

However, typically such under estimating by the model is due to one of two reasons -1) the take up is much quicker than expected, ie it might be assumed that it takes 3 years to build up to ‘final’ levels (after which background growth applies), but actually the buildup is much quicker, -2) between the modelling and the results there has been something structural in the area which changed, normally many new homes being built nearby that weren’t allowed for. Most new lines / stations above forecast have one or both of these factors. It is important to understand why, so the forecast models can be adjusted for future projects.

What ‘we’ (people reading this forum) don’t hear about is the lines / stations that fall short of forecasts. And why would we? No project promoter is going to say “after x years this station / Line is delivering lower benefits than expected”, and it certainly won’t make it into the public domain. But it is equally important to understand why, so the forecasting models can be adjusted also. Then we are more likely to get an improved model, leading to more accurate forecasts, which can help make a better case for more new lines / stations.

The alternative is to keep going with the old, increasingly inaccurate models. And then some poor soul with a terrific case for a new Parkway station will walk in to the Treasury, ask for £20m, show their homework saying “the official forecasts are underestimates, but there is a case for it assuming we get the same level of growth as other projects where the forecasts were wrong”. Then the lady from the Treasury will casually place the forecasts for East Midlands Parkway on the table, before inviting you to leave with no biscuits. And the railway has spent money developing a project that won’t proceed, that could have been better spent on a project that will.

None of this is to say that some new line / stations should be “reclosed”, or that we should not investigate railway expansion. We should, however, accept that not every such proposal is likely to have a case, and that improving the accuracy of forecasting models is a key factor in deciding which projects to take forward for the greatest benefit from (ever smaller) limited funding.

tbtc

Veteran Member

Welcome to the Forum @Sunnyside - that's an interesting point that you make.

@Mcr Warrior and @alangla have made some good points about the way that the messy fares have been fudged.

Previously, Monklands - Edinburgh had to be via Glasgow (and I say this as someone who used to travel to matches at Cliftonhill from the east coast, so had to deal with the doubling back - a journey that'd be a lot simple nowadays, albeit only slightly cheaper than it used to be) - so when the new bit of line opened, the fares were always going to have to come down a bit (same with Bathgate - Glasgow fares no longer being priced via Edinburgh so would have come down too)

But, given the subsidised fares within (what used to be) Strathclyde, Monklands - Glasgow has always been reasonably cheap per passenger mile (one reason why there's no direct bus service left - unless you go to Maxim Park).

So, to stop people split ticketing on the major Edinburgh - Glasgow flow, the "Glasgow - Coatbridge" and "Coatbridge - Edinburgh" fares can't be much cheaper than the "Glasgow - Edinburgh" fare. Which means that people in the Monklands travelling east are paying a higher fare per mile than they might ordinarily have been because the passengers travelling west from the Monklands are getting a subsidised fare (which will come as no consolation).

I don't know how we'd rectify this though - the ScotRail revenues rely on the cash cow of Edinburgh - Glasgow (whether run by public or private operators), so Holyrood won't want to see that revenue going down too much (if people are able to "split" tickets at Coatbridge), but at the same time, it'd be really difficult politically to increase the Coatbridge - Glasgow fare to a more "normal" level (even if you were making a corresponding cut to the Coatbridge - Edinburgh fare) - especially as that'd be seen as penalising the long established Coatbridge - Glasgow passengers when there was no equivalent increase from places like Whifflet or Gartcosh.

Obviously there'll be some who's answer to many problems will be "cheaper fares", but the "profit" from Edinburgh - Glasgow fares has to be seen against the losses made on the Far North/ West Highland etc

This isn't about my personal criteria - this is about whether the scheme is an objective success by judging it against whether it has delivered the passenger numbers it was intended to.

Ideally, we'd focus investment on the projects with the best business cases, and assume that the vast majority would produce passenger numbers in line with the assumptions used - there will always be outliers* but there needs to be some kind of methodology to assess how well lines are doing to judge whether they were a success.

There needs to be some kind of common methodology/ measurement - otherwise it comes down to little more than "my favourite" versus "your favourite" - we're potentially talking hundreds of millions of pounds of public money on a project and taxpayers want some bang for their bucks.

What Governments want is a series of successful projects so that you can demonstrate that you have a virtuous circle of investments. So you pick the projects with the best cases because you know that they'll deliver.

Sometimes you have to build something that wasn't as high up the list - e.g. the Borders line was all about keeping the Liberals happy at Holyrood (which is why they inserted a clause into the project that it couldn't open as far as e.g. Gorebridge until it opened all the way to Tweedabank, because they were scared that only the Midlothian section that was expected to be "busier" would be opened without reaching the Borders), but ideally you want to play your "Aces" first.

The Treasury want to back winners. But it you deliver an underwhelming project (especially one that requires ongoing subsidy to prop it up instead of returning the expected profits to Government) then they'll get cold feet about future projects. Won't take much for newspapers or the likes of the Tax Payers Alliance to highlight a huge waste of public money, which will get MPs nervous about being seen to back the next proposal. You may not like that, but this is the reality of getting things done in the twenty first century.

As I've said before I can't see that the A2B figures have been publicised. But if it has failed then it's not a problem for A2B - it's already built. What it is a problem for are the other projects, the ones that weren't picked at the time and now see the Government losing faith in such schemes.

For example, if A2B had done better then that might have helped the case for building other central belt lines like Haddington or Penicuik or Renfrew.

There will be people who'll happily back every proposal and be uncritical of the lines that were flops, fair enough - but if you can't accept when a project has done badly then it's hard to listen to you when you extoll other projects.

Personally, I want to invest in projects that are successes (whether that means electrification, redoubling, grade separation, platform extensions, re-openings or new alignments) - I'm not obsessed with re-openings as a solution in their own right, but if there's one that looks good (Ashington, Portishead) then I'd want it built - but only if the numbers look good enough.

If your only criteria for whether the A2B project was successful were unquantifiable things like being "useful" then you'll be satisfied with any project - which is fine - but the Government will require more than optimism before they sign off hundreds of millions of pounds, especially if the last project that they got the chequebook out for didn't work so well.

(* - especially when you have something like the Ebbw Vale steelworks closing down, which meant that there were a lot more Ebbw Vale people needing to leave the town each morning for work, which boosted the passenger numbers in a way that probably wasn't envisaged when the line was approved - the reverse was true of Sheffield Supertram - the expected numbers were based on the line passing by various high rise flats like Kelvin and Norfolk Park but they were knocked down in the several years between assent and the lines fully opening, meaning thousands of potential passengers no longer living a stone's throw from a tram stop - it happens!)

NotATrainspott

Established Member
The Airdrie-Bathgate project was an alternative to an upgrade of the M8, to handle ever-increasing commuter numbers. I'm not sure how many other rail projects have been able to be compared against the economics of a road upgrade. Road upgrades are seen as political common sense in a lot of cases, even beyond rational economics. The A9 dualling, for instance, is based on entirely nebulous ideas of 'driver frustration' due to the long stretches without easy overtaking opportunities. Going for a fairly simple and uncontroversial railway alternative seems obvious. Unlike HS2, you can much more clearly explain to motorists stuck on the M8 at rush hour what the railway project is trying to achieve.

It's maybe worth seeing the A-B project as three separate projects. One was the electrification west of Waverley, which was always understood to be required someday for the E&G and other lines. That part of the A-B project cost was therefore inevitable. The next part, the upgrade to Bathgate to allow a 4tph service, was reasonably self-explanatory too. Extra diesels could probably have been found to run it without electrification, but it would have a pretty good profile for EMU usage. The last but most notable bit is the reopening of the railway between Airdrie and Bathgate. The actual case for this reopening might not need to be that strong, because it works as a good way to make the Bathgate service run effectively with EMUs at 4tph. You can definitely see that in normal times, the number of passengers actually using the reopened section isn't that high. Even for Dumbartonshire passengers, it's still faster to change to an E&G service most of the time.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The Airdrie-Bathgate project was an alternative to an upgrade of the M8, to handle ever-increasing commuter numbers

But the M8 upgrade happened anyway!

The A9 dualling, for instance, is based on entirely nebulous ideas of 'driver frustration' due to the long stretches without easy overtaking opportunities. Going for a fairly simple and uncontroversial railway alternative seems obvious

‘Entirely’ is a strong word there.

It’s based on reducing journey times to the Highlands, and reducing what was a fairly high accident rate. The latter has dropped recently with the introduction of the average speed cameras, although that has had the effect of slowing average speeds of course.

And the trouble is - there isn’t a simple railway alternative. Sure, some of the traffic on the A9 might switch to rail with a much quicker or much more frequent service, but the overwhelming majority wouldn’t. And delivering a much quicker/ more frequent rail service would be getting on for costing as much as the remaining A9 upgrade. It would need significant stretches of double track and significant upgrades to the existing infrastructure for higher speeds.

takno

Established Member

It’s based on reducing journey times to the Highlands, and reducing what was a fairly high accident rate. The latter has dropped recently with the introduction of the average speed cameras, although that has had the effect of slowing average speeds of course.

And the trouble is - there isn’t a simple railway alternative. Sure, some of the traffic on the A9 might switch to rail with a much quicker or much more frequent service, but the overwhelming majority wouldn’t. And delivering a much quicker/ more frequent rail service would be getting on for costing as much as the remaining A9 upgrade. It would need significant stretches of double track and significant upgrades to the existing infrastructure for higher speeds.
I think you're broadly right, although I'd say that the speed argument was never really costed out at all. While the accident rate probably justified the cost alone, the huge impact of the average speed cameras on that probably completely blew a hole in the case.

A more interesting rail case could have been made with a lot more work on integrated transport solutions - parkway stations, easier car/minibus hire at the northern end, integrated ticketing etc. I'm not saying you can definitely solve the problem, but it could look a lot better than the basic modelling would suggest. Meanwhile the road case doesn't even have to stack up with basic modelling - we are just allowed to assume that dualling will eliminate the overtaking risk completely and forever.

ABB125

Established Member

Plus, upgrading the A9 benefits far more people than an "equivalent*" rail upgrade. Although in an ideal world both road and rail upgrades would be carried out.

*In inverted commas because there's no way you would be able to upgrade the railway to give the same benefits as the road in this particular case. Obviously in other places upgrading the railway may have greater benefits that upgrading a parallel road.

(Though it's worth pointing out that the A9 has, for much of the length between Perth and Inverness, an AADT (traffic flow) of under 10,000. If you proposed dualling a road anywhere else in the country with a similar traffic flow*, the hysterical laughter coming from the council offices would be heard for miles around.)

*Except for the A96 between Inverness and Aberdeen, another Scottish political dualling project.

Steve Harris

Armadale has grown considerably over the time since the reopening work commenced, with a lot of new housing on the south and east sides of the town (there may be some at the west end, but I haven't been that way for ages). The new rail line was a significant factor for many people in moving there. Having known the town for 45 years, it hadn't had a lot going for it for a long time, and it's good to see it developing.
I can agree with that ! I visited Armadale in 1989 and the place seemed to be in a time warp compared to where I lived in England.

Swanny200

I can agree with that ! I visited Armadale in 1989 and the place seemed to be in a time warp compared to where I lived in England.
Armadale got a lot bigger when I left and that was 5 years ago, you also have to consider all the houses on the West side of Whitburn that appeared near enough overnight that have a 5 minute drive up to Armadale station, there is a big Asda there next to the Station too which I assume would be handy, previous to the line opening, you would have been maybe 15-20 minutes drive down to Breich or Fauldhouse for the slow line to Central

Carlisle

Established Member
Plus, upgrading the A9 benefits far more people than an "equivalent*" rail upgrade. Although in an ideal world both road and rail upgrades would be carried out.
I can’t remember any new or reopened rail infrastructure in northern Scotland for at least 50 years apart from the odd station or siding , the 1980s saw Dornoch suggested but came to nothing

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I can’t remember any new or reopened rail infrastructure in northern Scotland for at least 50 years apart from the odd station or siding, the 1980s saw Dornoch suggested but came to nothing

Rebuilding of Forres station (if that's Northern enoufh)

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
I can’t remember any new or reopened rail infrastructure in northern Scotland for at least 50 years apart from the odd station or siding , the 1980s saw Dornoch suggested but came to nothing

Rebuilding of Forres station (if that's Northern enoufh)
And doubling of Aberdeen to Inverurie plus Kintore station, and before that Muir of Ord (1976), then Beauly, then Conon Bridge, and not forgetting Alness almost 48 years since it re-opened. EDIT, with the exception of Kintore and of course Forres, admittedly the stations were not exactly major works.
Re-instatement of crossing loops at Moy, Slochd and Kincraig, and more recently lengthening and re-signalling of the loops at Aviemore and Pitlochry - not sure if the loop at Pitlochry was actually lengthened but the platforms were to enable the new signalling to permit simultaneous arrivals.

EDIT: and I forgot about the re-instating double track from Blair Atholl to Dalwhinnie now 45 years ago at the same time as the above loops.

But no re-opened or new railways, and other negatives in the same period - not that far North but on the Highland, the closure of the loops at Murthlay, Ballinluig and Newtonmore.

Dornoch would have been a game changer for the Far North line but that ship has sailed.

Last edited:

NotATrainspott

Established Member

As far as I am aware, the alternative M8 upgrade proposal was for the central and eastern end of the M8 towards Edinburgh. The Scottish Conservatives recently popped up with a proposal to add another lane to the M8 for this section, so it's never been beyond the realms of possibility. The Baillieston-Newhouse completion was more about bringing up the motorway to a consistent standard all the way, rather than an end-to-end capacity increase.

*In inverted commas because there's no way you would be able to upgrade the railway to give the same benefits as the road in this particular case. Obviously in other places upgrading the railway may have greater benefits that upgrading a parallel road.

(Though it's worth pointing out that the A9 has, for much of the length between Perth and Inverness, an AADT (traffic flow) of under 10,000. If you proposed dualling a road anywhere else in the country with a similar traffic flow*, the hysterical laughter coming from the council offices would be heard for miles around.)

*Except for the A96 between Inverness and Aberdeen, another Scottish political dualling project.

Yes, that's the point. The A9 is a strange road because it was heavily rebuilt and is already a flowing bypass route, albeit one which is only single carriageway. Arguably the A96 works are more important because it means removing strategic traffic from the centre of towns. The business case for full dualling really isn't there unless you add in that 'driver frustration' imaginary number into the BCR calculation. That's not to say that the road didn't need any upgrades at all. Rather, that there exists a set of upgrades short of full dualling which would cost less and deliver a better cost-benefit ratio. It's essentially a political decision to go and build it to full high-quality dual carriageway standard, and probably fully grade-separated (we'll see what happens in Dunkeld) as well. Fiddling with the speed limits to allow lorries to drive at 50mph on the A9 alone will remove a good chunk of the driver frustration bonus of dualling. I can understand that it's normally cheaper to rebuild once to full spec rather than incrementally tweaking to add in overtaking lanes and central dividers. The alternative would probably be smaller sections of full new dual carriageway set up with existing dualled sections to minimise average convoy delays over the entire length of the road.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Re-instatement of crossing loops at Moy, Slochd and Kincraig, and more recently lengthening and re-signalling of the loops at Aviemore and Pitlochry - not sure if the loop at Pitlochry was actually lengthened but the platforms were to enable the new signalling to permit simultaneous arrivals.

The loop at Pitlochry was untouched but was effectly shortened (and quite significantly at that) due to the placement of the signals to comply with current standards.

A2B is a very effective was of spreading delay and disruption from west to east and vice versa.

stuu

Established Member
That's a symptom of our shabby approach to infrastructure in this country though; many of our European neighbours build dual carriageways/motorways for such volumes, a
at least partly for social cohesion reasons

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
The Airdrie-Bathgate project was an alternative to an upgrade of the M8, to handle ever-increasing commuter numbers. I'm not sure how many other rail projects have been able to be compared against the economics of a road upgrade.

Rail upgrades have certainly been part of the conversation about both the Oxford-Cambridge Expressway (now "paused") and the M4 Newport Bypass (cancelled by Cardiff, could potentially be resurrected by Westminster).

What the outcome of the comparison is - well, that rather depends on who's doing the comparing...

och aye

Someone I once worked with grew up in neighbouring Caldercruix and described these areas as "the places that time forgot" :lol:

route101

Established Member
Someone I once worked with grew up in neighbouring Caldercruix and described these areas as "the places that time forgot" :lol:
The villages around there are quite isolated, less so now with rail link. Find that with a lot places in Lanarkshire etc.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
Rail upgrades have certainly been part of the conversation about both the Oxford-Cambridge Expressway (now "paused") and the M4 Newport Bypass (cancelled by Cardiff, could potentially be resurrected by Westminster).

What the outcome of the comparison is - well, that rather depends on who's doing the comparing...

The challenge in those two cases is that the rail option is a little less defined. Extending the North Clyde electrics out from Airdrie all the way to Edinburgh wasn't ever a fantastically complex job. You can just about imagine a world where the Airdrie-Bathgate line wasn't ever lifted. With that, the BR project to reintroduce the Bathgate passenger service could have meant an end-on DMU-EMU transfer at Airdrie like at various points on Merseyrail. In contrast, we've been doing a lot of talking but not a vast amount of doing for a decade on the East-West rail project and that's just the section that doesn't require a new line to be built!

Extra stations around Cardiff isn't as complex but I wonder if extra local services to call there would increase the subsidy requirements. The A-B project meant extending the relatively affordable Strathclyde EMU working arrangements (DOO with ticket collectors) to replace traditional guard-operated DMUs. Operating costs on the Bathgate-Edinburgh section must be better now than they were before, with the economies of scale from the big Strathclyde network. I don't see any of the new stations between Airdrie and Bathgate costing much to run, and linking them up has smoothed out the loading factors a bit.

What all this points to, in my mind, is that the Airdrie-Bathgate project might not be a great comparison point for future rail projects. There aren't many other major cities which just needed a cycle path turned back into an electrified double track railway to link their suburban networks together. Comparable cities in England which are a similar distance apart tend to have major hills in the way which necessitate expensive tunnels. These are either still there as the only way of getting between them (Standedge etc) or have closed and are not possible to reopen (Woodhead).

Not the intended part which A2B parallels. The A8 in North Lanarkshire had been a work in progress for 30 years. Finally gaining a hard shoulder in the early 00s as a stop gap, but that didn’t eradicate the non-standard slip roads (except the Bargeddie ones which were extended slightly for safety reasons) or the fact that the junctions are quite close and poorly laid out. Also, as the primary route from Edinburgh to the M74 south, it had to encounter an atrociously bad junction at Shawhead to go from the A8 to the A725. So the current M8 was built to alleviate all that traffic, keeping the A8 as a C/D route for local traffic, unaffected by the construction of A2B.

The remaining M8 from Jct 6A to the M9 and Hermiston has remained untouched. The only alterations being a new junction at 4A to support the Heartlands development in non-railway town Whitburn and the current construction of a bus lane between Claylands and Hermiston (which has almost no buses using it, though I’m sure Transport Scotland have a plan).

This route is so un-upgraded that my Waze app is never done telling me about potholes along the way, it has very few cats-eyes as most have degraded and is often just an elephant race along its two lanes, even at 5am.

(I live in North Lanarkshire and would love to take the train to work, but there is no service from Motherwell which will get me anywhere near Edinburgh Park for 0615)

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
(I live in North Lanarkshire and would love to take the train to work, but there is no service from Motherwell which will get me anywhere near Edinburgh Park for 0615)
Quite early arrival that, given that you are needing a (relatively) lengthy journey across Central Scotland.

alangla

A2B is a very effective was of spreading delay and disruption from west to east and vice versa
Oh yes... The North Clyde used to be almost metronomic in its reliability, but after A2B opened a pigeon farting in Princes Street Gardens could bring the whole lot crashing down.

EDIT: the first winter was particularly grim. The combo of the new line importing problems, the weeks of seriously low temperatures and the 334s dislike of anything below zero degrees made for a fun few months

route101

Established Member
Oh yes... The North Clyde used to be almost metronomic in its reliability, but after A2B opened a pigeon farting in Princes Street Gardens could bring the whole lot crashing down.

EDIT: the first winter was particularly grim. The combo of the new line importing problems, the weeks of seriously low temperatures and the 334s dislike of anything below zero degrees made for a fun few months
I remember late 2010, there was a reduced timetable and I think some stations weren't open on the new bit.

Scotrail12

I remember late 2010, there was a reduced timetable and I think some stations weren't open on the new bit.
When it first opened, there was only around 8 334s available due to teething problems with the 380s so they had only 1tph on A2B. That year was terrible for snow as well and all stations except Blackridge were delayed.

Sirius

I live along the line and took a job in Edinburgh for 2 years which I probably wouldn’t have without it. Same observations as Sunnyside around commuter numbers.

Occasionally when I’ve used it during the day it’s carrying fresh air between Airdrie and Bathgate.

Status
Not open for further replies.