• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Airline Captain Dies During Flight

Status
Not open for further replies.

flymo

Established Member
This is Qatar Airways.

http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/qatar/129158-qatar-airways-pilot-dies-mid-flight-.html

I remember the recent thread about using only one pilot on planes because as Mr. O'Leary says they "land themselves". Well this plane didn't and declared an emergency as the Captain died of a heart attack during the flight. This is one of the reasons why there is more than one pilot in the cockpit, in case one pilot in incapacitated..

As it happened there was an on off duty flight crew member on board who assisted the First Officer (FO) with the landing. The aircraft landed without further incident.

FYI The aircraft was an Airbus A330-300 (A333), max pax 305.

No matter how many times O'Leary might say it there is more than one person in the cockpit for a reason. Safety.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkshireBear

Established Member
agreed, i dont even know how he forms a point at all, its ridiculous and if it comes into place H&S should have him

robertclark125

Established Member
It was me who started that thread called Pilot only planes.

I said this before. Driver only works fine on buses and trains, where you can stop and get help. Not safe at 20'000 feet up in the air though.

jon0844

Veteran Member
If Michael O'Leary did propose that a member of cabin crew took over to land, what would happen if they were currently tied up with selling food/beverages, 'duty free', cheap pre-paid phonecards (does anyone use these anymore?) or train tickets? Would he allow them to leave such revenue-earning duties to deal with the safe landing of a plane? :)

Old Timer

Established Member
Chaps, calm down !

Can you not see its all hype ?

Michael O'Leary is an extremely talented man at gaining extensive and totally free PR. In the PR business there is no such thing as "bad" publicity.

Everybody knows he wouldn't do it (think - Is he really going to risk (a) the cost of ther airplane, (b) the fallout to revenue and passenger figures, (c) the probable fact that no-one would insure his Company, and (d) the single fact that he would have to re-write Aviation Law ?) it is simply a ruse to keep the airline name in the news at a time when everyone is saving money.

Pretty much everyone who complains about Ryanair never travels with them, and almost certainly rarely or never travel by air anyway, except maybe cattle class on a package deal ?

Meanwhile Ryanair has one of the newest fleets in the world and continues to make money whilst others are losing revenue and market share.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I now fly with anyone but Ryanair so will often pay more money simply not to fly Ryanair. Of course, never say never - and if I was desperate enough then I might use them again.

However, given the way they try and trick the passenger by extracting as much money from them in other ways (to keep the headline figures down, and effectively stick two fingers up to the EU), I am voting with my feet. I may well be the only one and my seat is no doubt filled by someone else, but at least I feel better about it.

But I agree that he is great at getting free PR (but knowing someone who used to work for a PR firm representing him, he's a bit of a loose cannon), and using ridiculous stories like this to hide more mundane things that they do. Announce something crazy, get the press lapping it up, then introduce a new charge for something that nobody had thought of before. What's sad is how other airlines are now copying, such as charging for seat reservations. Even BA now charge to reserve seats if you want to sit next to each other.

Gone are the days when you paid for a plane ticket and that was it. Now, given flying IS more expensive than it is, it's all about making you feel that you are paying the same and that it's okay to pick and choose what extras you get on top. People forget these extras never used to be extras.

How long until Eurostar introduce reservation fees for seats? Yes, you must have a seat, but why not charge people travelling in a group to sit together - and then price up the better seats (near the exists, those with a table or whatever). We can all thank the low cost airlines for this when it (inevitably) happens in the future.

Old Timer

Established Member
Yes but you miss one major point here.

Until the cheap airlines came on the scene you had to pay an inordinant amount of money to the various National Carriers. 40 years ago foreign holidays were something that only the rich experienced. You can go to your local High St tomorow and get a holiday in the sun for as much as one costs here if not less.

We now have people from even poor Countries who travel the globe for little or nothing.

The bottom line is you can either pay for a mini to get you from A to B or you can pay for a Rolls Royce. You pay you money and take your choice.

Had the no-frills airlines not developed then an awful lot of people on here would not be travelling to the extent they are.

It never ceases to amaze me that people want to pay "no frills" prrices yet they want stirling silver service.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I think the thing that really annoys most people about budget airlines are the "non-optional extras"- the various charges imposed to keep the headline price down. The worst being the charges for paying (unless you hold an obscure card- and they keep changing which obscure card). I think most people put up with the surly service, small seat pitch etc cheerfully.

Not that "premium" airlines are much better in that regard- "fuel surcharge"?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I don;t think it;s a question of people wanting no frills prices but sterling silver service. What people object to, and in increasing numbers, is the number and increasing cost of the 'extras' that are not optional for the majority of people, such as card fees (unless you have some obscure card that changes monthly), booking fees, fees for not checking in online and so on.

It's very dispiritng when your £35 flight ticket ends up costing double that (or more) bey the time you've added on the associated costs that you cannot realistically avoid, including, of course, the dreaded government taxes!

jon0844

Veteran Member
Until the cheap airlines came on the scene you had to pay an inordinant amount of money to the various National Carriers.

It never ceases to amaze me that people want to pay "no frills" prrices yet they want stirling silver service.

Trust me, I do accept this. However, as prices increase, I'd happily pay more to fly - and would do so by paying a higher ticket price, not having a nice low fare advertised like £10, with the taxes, check-in, payment, bags and loads of other costs loaded on. Given the EU requires the tax to be included, it was even more annoying that Ryanair got given so long to change on the basis that their computer systems couldn't cope (a total lie, I have no doubt)

The truly optional ones are fine (even if it means better planning of what you take with you, as against packing your whole house as you might have done before), but when Ryanair changed things so you have to pay extra on all but one prepaid credit card, and likewise for checking-in (on all but a few flights, so it can still be considered an non-optional extra), it became too much for me. He's fiddling the system by finding all the loopholes and getting away with it. Part of me says 'fair play' to him, but the other part says 'what a ****'.

I don't want to get a dedicated payment card to book a flight (neither does Ryanair expect you to, which is why they do it) and given I have no choice but to check in, I don't think it's fair to only give it free for a few select flights/seats - and then charge you loads more if for whatever reason you can't check in online beforehand.

I don't expect silver service on a flight, and I am quite content to travel on a train to work each day that has no staff at all (bar the driver). It's a seat from A to B. However, you can still be polite and friendly when things go wrong. Ryanair, Easyjet and others will regularly disappear when things go wrong. Nobody should be left stranded, even if they paid just 50p for their flight.

I want more honesty and openness. Flying is getting more expensive, and people will have to get used to it - but too many still seem to believe those headline prices.

On a recent flight to Dublin, with Aer Lingus, I got myself and the wife two 'free' flights, which with taxes came to £140!! Of course, you've gone through the whole booking process before getting to that end price, and it's only then that you're invited to pay £5 each (per person, per flight) to book your seat. So that's another £20 on top. Want to take bags... more money please. We only went with hand luggage, so that was fine, and didn't pay to reserve the seats (again fine, for a 55 minute flight, we could cope with not sitting together). For a longer trip, or with a family, you'd probably want to take bags and almost certainly sit together.

When we see those newspaper comparisons with flying and going by train, it does bug me. To get the cheap deals, you really do have to work hard to get everything right and comply with all the conditions. And if Ryanair changes the prepaid card that you need on a month-by-month basis, you're still going to pay more as a lot of these cards have various admin fees attached to them (registration or usage charges). Hardly worth it if you need to get a new one next month!

Anyway, my personal action won't put Ryanair out of business.. but it makes me feel better and that's all that matters (to me).

Bar the uncertainty around BA during the strikes, I am now very happy to fly with BA. I can still get some very cheap flights (as little as £20+taxes) if booked in advance, and know that I'm flying with an airline that is unlikely to wash its hands of me if there are any problems. You definitely DO get what you pay for.

Last edited:

moonrakerz

So true - but to show what people like O'Leary & Stelios have brought about - the last time I flew to Alicante, BA (full service - hot breakfast etc) were cheaper than Flybe.

Don't always think that the budget boys are cheaper than the full service airlines, always check before booking.
Another myth about (BA in particular) full service airlines quoted in this thread, is the oft quoted "fuel surcharge". If you ask BA for a price it says quite clearly that the price shown includes "taxes, fees, charges and surcharges". There is no luggage fee, check in fee, priority boarding fee, (second pilot fee ? pee fee ?) etc,etc.
Please don't believe that nice Mr O'Leary doesn't bother to factor the cost of aviation fuel into his pricing.

I have never flown with Ryanair, mainly because I would really hate to give money to Mr O'Leary, I have used other budget airlines - for what they are, generally I have been quite happy with what I got for my money.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Quite. It's difficult to compare prices properly (which no doubt works in favour of Mr O'Leary's company) if you have to go through several booking steps to discover what the true cost of your ticket is.

jon0844

Veteran Member
He's playing a game with the EU and is winning. The rules say you must include any fixed costs, which is why he has made so many things 'optional' when they're really not. The whole game of ensuring there's some obscure credit card that can be used without a fee is taking the ****, when for all intents and purposes almost everyone must (and will) pay the surcharge. Ditto with checking in.

If he was more open, I'd probably still use Ryanair. I don't have a problem with increased prices, it's all to inevitable these days. In fact, I agree that flying is still too cheap given the concessions given to the industry (such as tax on aviation fuel).

Old Timer

Established Member
I still do not understand.

Every airline apart from BA and KLM as I know of quote prices exclusive of taxes, etc, etc.

You can easily find out what the total cost is by simply going through the booking procedure but not completing it.

Simples

If people really think that an airline can fly them from A to B at ridiculously low prices and make a profit then they must need therapy.

With regards to paying by card its not only airlines, its travel agents, insurance companies, online booking agencies, Councils, holiday companies, etc, etc. Thaetrical agencies are by far the worst and far outweigh anything that Ryanair might charge.

Only KLM as far as I know does NOT impose a credit card surcharge for internet bookings.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I believe rules say you must quote a flight including taxes, but it does seem that many have been given some additional time to update their systems (and I don't believe one second that they need that much time).

If nobody should expect to pay ridiculously low prices, why do the airlines advertise in such a way that you think you can?

Two wrongs don't make a right, and I don't like Ticketmaster being able to get away with charging a booking fee and a further fee for paying by card (when there's not really any other way to pay online).

Yes, they are bad, perhaps worse, but if we simply accept that everyone will do it then let's not be surprised or angry if every train ticket starts to come with a booking fee, along with an extra surcharge from TVMs that take credit cards. Doesn't trainline.com already charge a fee? Let's pray they don't all begin to do it, citing Ticketmaster and Ryanair as examples of why the public accept it.

Paying with a debit card used to cost me (as a merchant) 57p, but I was a small trader. I am sure that a large company pays a lot less. If you're going to charge a fee for the card, make it cover the cost - not become additional profit. Even eBay started to stop traders making their profit on postage, and not on the actual sale value of the item.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I know this thread isn't about flights per se, but when we flew home on Aer Lingus, we arrived at the airport three hours before our flight and there were two others to London before it.

We enquired how much it would be to change, and they said it would be £240 each, plus £50 to change our ticket! That's Dublin to LHR. Amazingly, she kept a straight face and wondered if we might be interested. We declined, politely before walking off and laughing to ourselves.

What surprised me was that, okay, they can charge the admin fee.. but if the plane went out with empty seats, why not let us wait on standby then just make us pay the £50 if two seats remain? They could then have two seats for the later flight that can be sold, for £240 each, to someone turning up and desperately needing to fly?

Is it really the case that they'll always seek to charge the full cost (clearly the £240 was the normal turn-up-and-fly price, with the deduction of our ticket which was £0 (+ tax))?? Seems a bit silly to me. In fact, I am sure some airlines would happily get you on an earlier flight for free, even if you didn't have an open ticket.

plannerman

The debate for and against Ryanair will run and run - personally, I use them a lot and have never had a problem. It's all a game, and as long as you're hapy to play it you'll be fine. For example, I recently had to fly at short notice from the North West to Dublin - giving me a choice of Ryanair ex-Liverpool, or Lingus ex-Manchester. The Ryanair headline price was beautiful, by the time the extras were added on it jumped considerably to around £100 return. So I decided to show O'Leary what for and went to the Lingus website - where they asked me for almost three hundred quid! Moral of the tale is even after adding all the extras, the budget airlines win hands down most times out.
Incidentally, has anyone else noticed EasyJet and FlyBe getting very pricey lately? FlyBe so much so I'm reluctant to consider them a budget airline any more.
The only route on which I regularly fly with a 'traditional' airline is Manchester - Stockholm, as I work for a Swedish firm and presumably there's an 'old boys' agreement between us and SAS. However, SAS are ridiculously expensive (although I'm not paying, I strill see the invoice), the planes are precisely the type you get on budget flights - ie no food, no entertainment - they're usually significantly older than Ryanair or easyJet's fleet, and I really do fail to see why anyone would travel with them through choice.
I know some people say they won't travel with O'Leary on principle, but the service there is often better - and certainly no worse - than some of the traditional carriers now. Still, more cheap seats for the rest of us...

ivanhoe

I think Oldtimer and Plannerman have summed up the situation well for me. O'leary uses his outbursts in a way to drum up Business. Keeps the brand in peoples minds.

I have flown with them on numerous occasions and have never had problems. Their biggest detractors have probably never flown with them.

paul1609

Established Member
Trust me, I do accept this. However, as prices increase, I'd happily pay more to fly - and would do so by paying a higher ticket price, not having a nice low fare advertised like £10, with the taxes, check-in, payment, bags and loads of other costs loaded on. Given the EU requires the tax to be included, it was even more annoying that Ryanair got given so long to change on the basis that their computer systems couldn't cope (a total lie, I have no doubt)

The truly optional ones are fine (even if it means better planning of what you take with you, as against packing your whole house as you might have done before), but when Ryanair changed things so you have to pay extra on all but one prepaid credit card, and likewise for checking-in (on all but a few flights, so it can still be considered an non-optional extra), it became too much for me. He's fiddling the system by finding all the loopholes and getting away with it. Part of me says 'fair play' to him, but the other part says 'what a ****'.

I don't want to get a dedicated payment card to book a flight (neither does Ryanair expect you to, which is why they do it) and given I have no choice but to check in, I don't think it's fair to only give it free for a few select flights/seats - and then charge you loads more if for whatever reason you can't check in online beforehand.

I don't expect silver service on a flight, and I am quite content to travel on a train to work each day that has no staff at all (bar the driver). It's a seat from A to B. However, you can still be polite and friendly when things go wrong. Ryanair, Easyjet and others will regularly disappear when things go wrong. Nobody should be left stranded, even if they paid just 50p for their flight.

I want more honesty and openness. Flying is getting more expensive, and people will have to get used to it - but too many still seem to believe those headline prices.

On a recent flight to Dublin, with Aer Lingus, I got myself and the wife two 'free' flights, which with taxes came to £140!! Of course, you've gone through the whole booking process before getting to that end price, and it's only then that you're invited to pay £5 each (per person, per flight) to book your seat. So that's another £20 on top. Want to take bags... more money please. We only went with hand luggage, so that was fine, and didn't pay to reserve the seats (again fine, for a 55 minute flight, we could cope with not sitting together). For a longer trip, or with a family, you'd probably want to take bags and almost certainly sit together.

When we see those newspaper comparisons with flying and going by train, it does bug me. To get the cheap deals, you really do have to work hard to get everything right and comply with all the conditions. And if Ryanair changes the prepaid card that you need on a month-by-month basis, you're still going to pay more as a lot of these cards have various admin fees attached to them (registration or usage charges). Hardly worth it if you need to get a new one next month!

Anyway, my personal action won't put Ryanair out of business.. but it makes me feel better and that's all that matters (to me).

Bar the uncertainty around BA during the strikes, I am now very happy to fly with BA. I can still get some very cheap flights (as little as £20+taxes) if booked in advance, and know that I'm flying with an airline that is unlikely to wash its hands of me if there are any problems. You definitely DO get what you pay for.

Do you actually have any experience of easyjet flights going wrong though?
Ive flown probably 20 times with them in the last year on business, the ticket is booked through a travel agent so I dont see the cost issues. The service has been pretty reliable my only issue is being taken to Malaga when I thought I was going to Gibraltar (this is a known issue with Gib Airport and outside Easyjets control) but even then the replacement bus was well organised.

When i turn up early at Edinburgh they are always happy to book me on an earlier flight at no cost if they have space. Personally my experience with them is pretty good.

jon0844

Veteran Member
However, SAS are ridiculously expensive (although I'm not paying, I strill see the invoice), the planes are precisely the type you get on budget flights - ie no food, no entertainment - they're usually significantly older than Ryanair or easyJet's fleet, and I really do fail to see why anyone would travel with them through choice.

SAS dropped the food first, to try and compete with Ryanair. BA then followed not long after.

I know SAS is expensive (my wife, who is Swedish, will rarely use them because of this), but BA has fallen in price quite a lot. It's possible to get a flight to Arlanda for £20-25+tax in advance, and Arlanda is 15 minutes from her parents.. unlike Skavsta or Vesteras, which are 1.15hrs or 1.45hrs from Stockholm and 30 minutes from town to her house. That has to be factored in too.

I don't disagree that Ryanair is going to be cheaper than SAS and BA a lot, perhaps most, of the time - but I just can't be bothered to play the game anymore. Five years ago, I'd be using Ryanair 4-5 times a year minimum (and just for social travel, not business). I can assure you, I base all of my comments here on actual experience.

I have never told anyone not to fly Ryanair. I have never said I wouldn't fly Ryanair EVER again (if it was the only possible option) but I can, and will, recommend people don't until they've been made aware of what can go wrong. If you're up for the game, fancy a bit of a gamble, so be it. When things go to plan, they're great. I would add that Ryanair is always spoken highly of by people who say it's so cheap, but what about the many people who must be on every flight that paid £200 or more, to enable those cheap seats to be offered. What service do they expect when they're paying as much as they would on a 'flag' carrier?

Do you actually have any experience of easyjet flights going wrong though?

Erm yes! Gatwick, February, going to Barcelona. Computer problem meant most flights delayed (and later cancelled). Stuck at Gatwick from midday to about midnight.

Cutting a VERY long story short, the poor person that had to come out and hand out bits of paper to people saying what to do. He was on his own and was clearly unhappy given all the people (and I mean HUNDREDS) demanding answers and help. He just repeated OVER and OVER that you had to take this form and read it.

I spoke to him later on and he said he hated his job, and had worked in aviation for many years. He then confided in me that he had handed in his notice as he couldn't do this anymore. This was a rather exceptional event, but it wasn't the first time he had been made to just palm people off with a bit of paper.

He was actually a nice guy and told me a lot about how easyJet work, how well his boss gets on with the easyJet staff (they merely operate on behalf of easyJet from Luton, as a sub-contracted firm) and how staff turnover is so high because enough people want to work there - hoping it will lead on to bigger things - that nobody tries to keep you on.

This is why I've said before, I'd rather fly from Luton than Gatwick as I believe easyJet has a bigger presence there than Gatwick - at least when things go wrong and you're faced with someone from Menzies who is put in charge.

I was shocked at how everyone was simply left stranded. No hotels, no transport.. The idea was you just sorted yourself out and could then make a claim later (all detailed in the A4 bit of paper that had been photocopied so many times, it was hard to read). They don't even make it easy to claim, and it has to be 'reasonable' costs, so people are going to be worried about spending any money - or, more likely, not actually put in a claim for all the costs. Still, they can't say they're not offering to abide by the rules - they just don't help you one bit.

Their system assumes you have the sort of money to sort yourself out taxis, hotels and other flights, and can then satisfy them that you got the best deal, and not to be too upset if they refuse. They also assume you have the time and willpower to let such an incident drag on for what could turn out to be months.

Believe me, you don't want to be left stranded by easyJet or any other low cost airline. These things are what made me simply decide to pay more to fly with a bigger airline, and leave those nice 'poisoned' cheap seats for everyone else!

Still, I have to be fair and balanced, so I will say that I flew back with them from Barcelona and everything was perfect. It was as I'd always experienced easyJet before, and would hope to always experience them (but sadly not, given their policies).

I accept that problems are rare, but who cares when it happens to you? Nobody wants to hear someone say 'cheer up, doesn't happen often'.

(And for the record, I do now recall that easyJet is more flexible than most on changing flights)

Last edited:

Old Timer

Established Member
JM
A very good post, if I may say.

The only thing I would offer an opinion on, is the level of service and support when things go wrong.

People cannot expect to pay peanuts with a budget carrier and get exactly the same service as with a big carrier.

I trvel KLM pretty much all the time, and although I sometimes pay more than a budget carrier (but not always - as JM says you can get some very good deals with the national carriers now) I know that KLM will look after me and have staff available to deal with any issues. For example KLM (like the other big carriers) have arrangements with hotels and have mutual-aid arrangements with other large carriers so being stranded is not such a large issue.

Now I know this level of support is in the price, and I choose to pay slightly more and have that comfort. Where money is a concern then I would have to accept that maybe the level of support is not so high.

With regards to the "reasonable" where costs for hotels are concerned, it is unfortunately something that we can never get away from. It will always be subjective but most people would not think a £300 room unreasonable near Heathrow, whereas this would probably be regarded as being on the bounds at Birmingham International and definitely beyond at say Prestwick.

At the moment delays with EU based carriers are subject to EU rules, which I believe are being challenged with some understanding in Brussels, on the basis that for a passenger paying a very small amount in air fare the compensation rules are far more generous than would be acceptable for the long term security of budget carriers.

Maybe the answer is for the budget airlines to have a simple set of conditions which explain exactly what level of service you can expect for £5 UK to Spain

jon0844

Veteran Member
I think there should be varying levels of 'cover' from the EU but with a minimum standard - that isn't a bit of A4 paper saying 'read this' with no staff to be found anywhere. It could be based on ticket price, or class. Economy gets basic cover, while business/first gets more. That's as you'd expect it, but we've just allowed some carriers to get away with doing virtually nothing.

Or, if you're going to do the bit of paper and the running away, then make it implicitly clear to passengers that they be on their own if things go wrong. Offer insurance and tell people that they're going to be screwed otherwise. Travel insurance is usually to cover for things like you being too ill to go, or missing your flight etc, not being looked after when an airline has major problems and leaves you stranded.

And for the record, for people who didn't find an alternative airline to go with on that day, don't think that they were being put on the first flight(s) the next day. No, easyJet didn't/couldn't want more people to get involved - so all the fully booked flights were reserved for the other passengers - with no extra flights brought in. Those who didn't fly that Sunday were right at the back of the queue, so could have been waiting around for 2-3 days! No doubt some people cancelled their trips completely.

As I've said before, if people are happy to take that risk to get the cheap seats and figure one 'disaster' in 10, 50, 100 is an acceptable gamble - that's fine with me. I was one of those persons myself, but that is when it really was incredibly cheap to fly with Ryanair. Being flexible for travel (by going to see family), we'd simply wait for the £0 or 50p flights to come up. I don't think we ever paid more than about £10 (before tax) for a flight, and that was it. No other charges on top at all!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I fully agree, and this is why more and more peopel are avoiding these airlines; as the price of the 'extras' rise, the odds become less attractive.

flymo

Established Member
Many thanks to all for your comments thus far, it really is a most fascinating subject.

I'll put my hand right up in the air and say that I have never and will never fly Ryanair for one reason. Michael O'Leary. I just can't stand the guy. I have no doubt he is good at what he does but for me, well he just grinds my gears.

I don't want this post to turn into a rant but I feel he just wants your money and it is a pain in the proverbial to Ryanair when you actually turn up to fly. Mind you that could also be the mindset of several TOC's in Britain to be honest.

By EU directive he must fly his Boeing 737-800's (B738) with 2 flight crew and one cabin crew member for every 50 passengers. As his maximum passenger complement is 189 that means 4 cabin crew. I have no doubt that he would reduce these numbers if he could. Probably 1 pilot and 1 cabin crew member with a vending machine aft for dispensing meals etc. A caveat to this is that other airlines would do the same but somehow I think he would be first.

I am very cynical I know but when he comes out with the various rubbish he does, to me it just reinforces the ideal that he simply wants to make as much money as possible regardless of the passenger or their safety (I don't actually believe he would mess with safety aspect but it is just the way it comes across). This is why I posted this thread to highlight the albeit small possibility of one pilot being incapacitated and no other competent flight crew to take command. Creek, paddle and some rather nasty smelly stuff comes to mind.

I take on board that there has only been one major incident involving a Ryanair aircraft and I'm sure he is not stupid enough to forego safety for profit, it is just the way he does what he does that irks me. I think it was Stelios from Easyjet that said something like "If you think maintenance is expensive, think about an accident"

And here's me not having a rant......:D

FYI I'm not a high mileage flier but I've done my fair share of flights around the globe. So far Qantas been the best airline I've flown with by a country mile and Garuda Indonesia the worst by the same margin.

Again thanks all for your input, it is all very interesting. :D

jon0844

Veteran Member
I will say to Michael O'Leary's credit, he has said he will never scrimp on money for maintenance and safety. One thing I could never say about Ryanair is that I have ever felt at risk in that regard.

rb311

By EU directive he must fly his Boeing 737-800's (B738) with 2 flight crew and one cabin crew member for every 50 passengers. As his maximum passenger complement is 189 that means 4 cabin crew. I have no doubt that he would reduce these numbers if he could. Probably 1 pilot and 1 cabin crew member with a vending machine aft for dispensing meals etc. A caveat to this is that other airlines would do the same but somehow I think he would be first.

To be pendantic, it is not an EU Directive, but Aviation Law, as set out by ICAO and cascaded down through the JAA.

Regardin two pilots, a Boeing requires 2 pilots to fly it, technically, not just legally. One pilot flies, one pilot monitors. It is possible to fly a Boeing single pilot for short periods, ie, incapacitation, and there is regular training carried out to ensure it doesn't present a problem, but that is an emergency procedure and a Mayday call is highly recommended, if not mandatory in most airlines' procedures.

As to bringing a cabin crew into monitor an autoland should the only pilot have died, that's fine as long as:
a) the autoland system is working
b) the airport can support an autoland
c) that the weather is within limits for an autoland.(often not the case)

If the only airport available to land is on a small island with only a non precision approach to a circle to land, surrounded by high ground, the cloud base is 100ft above minima and the wind is a strong and gusting crosswind the cabin crew may as well serve drinks and snacks till the fuel runs out.

But MOL says these things because he likes to make headlines and get publicity. Going to single pilot operation is a very brave thing to do, and I know if I was choosing between an airline with one and two crew, I know which one I would go for, and MOL knows that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.