• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

All Line Rover - why no shortened version?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
There is the All-Line-Rover for seven days, however what if one just wants to do maximum mileage for one day? Say, on a Saturday when there is no morning peak restriction? Does a one-day rover exist and, if so, what is the cost? I don't expect it to be one-seventh of an ALR but maybe one sixth or a fifth.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamesrob637

Established Member
No all line rover for 1 day.

All line rovers are available in 7 and 14 day versions.

I don't know how useful a 1 day all line rover would be compared to a local rover or just a single/return ticket(s).

The Germans do Schönes Wochenende Tickets however they're only valid on RE and below, so if going more than a couple hundred kilometres each way, it can be a long day. Obviously there's the €49 ticket nowadays too, valid on the same calibre of trains.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There is the All-Line-Rover for seven days, however what if one just wants to do maximum mileage for one day? Say, on a Saturday when there is no morning peak restriction? Does a one-day rover exist and, if so, what is the cost? I don't expect it to be one-seventh of an ALR but maybe one sixth or a fifth.
Because then people might actually buy them and use them!

Where do you think this is, Germany. Switzerland, Czechia? This is the UK and we can't have such things here!

Seriously, get yourself abroad; the fares are cheaper, the trains are better and it's just all round better.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
A (one day) all line rover, so priced, would effectively undercut / cap the price of many longer distance walk up tickets. Can't imagine that the TOCs would agree to that.

Veteran Member
The Germans do Schönes Wochenende Tickets however they're only valid on RE and below, so if going more than a couple hundred kilometres each way, it can be a long day.
Now subsumed into the Quer-Durchs-Land Ticket. But still tedious on most longer routes.
The CD One-day ticket is still excellent value, I agree, provided you don't want to use a non -CD route.

Ayman Ilham

Closest you can do is an off-peak return via ANY PERMITTED from your starting station to somewhere very far away, for example: Inverness, Aberdeen, Penzance, Weymouth, Portsmouth Harbour, Ramsgate, you name it. Make sure the ticket allows you to break your journey as much as you like and give you a wide variety of permitted route options, so you can go one way and come back a different way and stop wherever you fancy en-route. Chances are, it'll more likely be 1/3 or 1/4 of the price of the 7-day ALR and that'll be the best they can do price-wise.

On Moderation
Seriously, get yourself abroad; the fares are cheaper, the trains are better and it's just all round better.
This. To the maximum. A UK 7 day All Line rover in standard is £571. A 7 day first class global Interrail (valid in 33 countries and no stupid peak restrictions) is £391.

And as you say the trains are better, the service is better; it's just much more enjoyable.

Farigiraf

This. To the maximum. A UK 7 day All Line rover in standard is £571. A 7 day first class global Interrail (valid in 33 countries and no stupid peak restrictions) is £391.

And as you say the trains are better, the service is better; it's just much more enjoyable.
...Until you head a few miles out of Germany and you're stuck on a Budapest-Bucharest service in the summer with no air conditioning for 20+ hours

I'd recommend something like Gothenburg to Basel/Zurich/Vienna for 1 day of serious interrail train riding. Gothenburg-Copenhagen-Hamburg then either Cologne-Stuttgart-Switzerland or Frankfurt-Munich-Austria

Techniquest

Veteran Member
While a shortened ALR would be nice, and I recognise some people's passion here for an InterRail pass, I'd like to throw my hat into the ring here.

Too many years ago to remember now, and yes I'm already planning to have a look and see if I can find the trip report, I did a 3-day Benelux InterRail pass. It was incredibly good value, and an ideal way to introduce oneself to the world of European railways. 3 days around Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg for what I believe was €109 at the time, exceptional value and I'd recommend investigating one of those. Quite, I've been saying for too long that I'm going to do another of those passes myself, one day I might actually do it.

railfan99

Established Member

Is the service always better?

I am in Italy on a Eurailpass and experienced the usual poor connections in France.

Generally much better in England.

On Moderation
Is the service always better?

I am in Italy on a Eurailpass and experienced the usual poor connections in France.

Generally much better in England.
On board service is way better. Better seats. Better facilities. Oh, and restaurant cars.

QJ

As a UK citizen If I buy a global interrail pass I can use it on two days during the period of validity on British trains. This validity is to allow for you to travel to or from where you might be travelling to go abroad. However, you don't need to use the outbound before the inbound nor the first or last day of the validity of the Interrail. This year I travelled first class from Basingstoke to Aberdeen for a flight to Bergen.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
As a UK citizen If I buy a global interrail pass I can use it on two days during the period of validity on British trains. This validity is to allow for you to travel to or from where you might be travelling to go abroad. However, you don't need to use the outbound before the inbound nor the first or last day of the validity of the Interrail. This year I travelled first class from Basingstoke to Aberdeen for a flight to Bergen.
I thought this validity was just for a single journey to / from the point at which you go abroad and not available for general roving on that day?

plugwash

Established Member
I don't think it will ever happen. The point of rangers, rovers etc is to encourage leisure travel, without cutting too much into buisiness travel revenues and even at it's current high price the all lines rover (particularly the first class version) is already problematic in that regard.

plugwash

Established Member
I thought this validity was just for a single journey to / from the point at which you go abroad and not available for general roving on that day?
Yup, the rules at least last time I checked them allowed you to make an "outbound" journey to a port, airport or international border, and a return journey from a port, airport or international border.

They didn't say anything about the lenghth or route of said journey, but it's probablly sensible to stick to something that could be defended as a reasonable route from A to B.

Status
Not open for further replies.