• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alternative to merseyrail under the mersey when no ferries and have bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

Given merseyrail's current rolling stock problems, I wondered how a cyclist could get from Birkenhead to liverpool centre when both the mersey ferry (stops in early evening) or train under mersey are not running?

Would any buses take a standard bike?
Or is it a taxi or swim?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mailbyrail

Restricted times yes, but a ride you must do if you've never tried it - quite an experience.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Err but that's only allowed at very restricted times..

Its a bit annoying that the Queensway has a lower deck that was meant for a tram, but is used for air intake: its a pity cyclists cant use that 24/7.
It covers much of the time that the ferries don't operate though.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Merseyrail are in fact running trains you realise. If there's no train at a time appropriate for you, take the wheels off and order an Uber XL.

AHBD

I am afraid my memory was cyclists were only allowed in the tunnel on Sundays, so I discounted the possibility, and chose a
Liverpool lime street departing train to suit a mersey tunnel train which suited the 630 18:30 ferry from Belfast.

Perhaps the 777s will be working by then..... :)

If the trains are running, is there a rail replacement bus through a mersey road tunnel?

Edited to add lime st

Last edited:

skyhigh

Established Member
I am afraid my memory was Cyclists only were allowed in tunnel on Sundays so I discounted the possibility and chose a liverpool train to suit a tunnel train suiting the 630 ferry from Belfast.

Perhaps the 777s will be working by then..... :)

If the trains stop, is there a rail replacement bus thru a mersey road tunnel
What is the actual journey you wish to make? As it's unclear and there are trains running on Merseyrail...

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'm on board a Liverpool - Ellesmere Port train right now and can assure you the train I'm on is running ;)

AHBD

In a week and a bit. But arranged before this site said 777s started on the wirral line and reported the usual problems, so I thought I'd be prepared and ask..

skyhigh

Established Member
In a week and a bit. But arranged before this site said 777s started on the wirral line and reported the usual problems, so I thought I'd be prepared and ask..
If your train is cancelled due to a fault I would simply wait for the next one. There shouldn't be a long wait at 6.30 (either AM or PM).

Benjwri

Established Member
You cannot take a bike on a rail replacement bus regardless, whether one was running would depend on why the trains weren’t running, if they weren’t planned to be stopped it’s unlikely.

jamesst

Also worth pointing out the Birkenhead Queensway tunnel is closed overnight every night until 2024 for major electrical work

Pacef8

You can do the tunnel before 6 am when it re-opens over night and thats the birkenhead one . Trust me its rubbish and a big hill with poor air quality. Either way . The first trains are from about 5.45am so i don't see what the problem is. Apart from paying on the train for 1 stop when the trackbed was replaced they put on a bike bus . It went from Moorfields 1 an hour . Plus as james just said led lighting going in so you cannt do it even if you are fit enough . No Lpg or ebikes as well.

Last edited:

8A Rail

Established Member
You could always cycle via the Jubilee Runcorn /Widnes bridge, certainly get some miles in and keep you fit too!

Djgr

Established Member
Probably worth saying that even with teething problems with the new trains Merseyrail's current performance is still probably better than many TOCs.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Someone can probably confirm or deny this, but I wouldn't expect all services to be 777 operated at this stage. So leave a little extra time, and if the service you wanted proves not to run, there will probably be a 507/508 along shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.