• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Am I ever destined to work in the rail industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Telecom sales, but I've done customer services at advisor and team manager levels, as well as working for National Express, and also in the "welfare to work" industry.

Plenty of customer facing experience there then, dealing with "difficult" people, plus evidence of attention to detail, following procedures, communication skills, report writing, etc, etc.

Review what you are putting on your application forms. You've got some good transferable skills, so please make sure that you are making them clear.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
bearing in mind you never have a good word to say about any aspect of the railways do you think that might come through in the interview?

anthony263

Established Member
I do put down that I am a railway enthusiast as one of my hobbies when it asks me about them on an application form.

I have been asked about this in an interview however I was careful to point out that am only really interested in the operational aspect of the railways rather than particular trains and number for example.

That worked well for me as Iceland did offer me a job at the end of the interview process which included a driver asessment.

I have spend some of my free time while I have been unemployed doing voluntry work as it has helped me gain more experience working with customers (which is something that a good number of employers will be looking for)

anti-pacer

Established Member
bearing in mind you never have a good word to say about any aspect of the railways do you think that might come through in the interview?

That would be irrelevant in an interview, and the only issues I have with the railways are in the North, and are down to lack of investment and cleanliness.

Naturally I would never mention that in an interview, not that I've had one.

455driver

Veteran Member
If you have never had an interview then you need to work on your application form, they are a bloomoin nightmare at the best of times.

If your current life experiences are not getting you to interview stage then it might be worth going for the less glamorous jobs just to get onto the railway, you can then prove yourself and work towards the job you want.

anti-pacer

Established Member
If you have never had an interview then you need to work on your application form, they are a bloomoin nightmare at the best of times.

If your current life experiences are not getting you to interview stage then it might be worth going for the less glamorous jobs just to get onto the railway, you can then prove yourself and work towards the job you want.

That's been my thinking to be honest. Sound advice 455, thank you! :smile:

455driver

Veteran Member
That's been my thinking to be honest. Sound advice 455, thank you! :smile:

Pleasure, I am not sure where you want to end up but I personally know people that have gone from the gate line or ticket office straight to guards or drivers positions etc etc. It really is a question of getting in, once you are in it is up to you to show how conscientious and reliable you can be to forward yourself, okay some will get taken straight on from outside into the job they desire but I worked the long game. Each has its merits but I firmly believe that getting in first will improve your chances of moving up the ladder.

Also dont sell yourself short on the application form, you have to really sell yourself and put your good bits out there, I think its normal to go the extra mile when things have gone wrong (watching the sunrise when on the way home because I finished work 3 and a half hours later than I should have because I did an extra trip to Waterloo when it had gone base over apex for example) and its worth mentioning because that is exactly what they are looking for. Dont lie obviously but really go to town on your good points. Good luck for the future.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
My own preference is always matching jacket and pants, shirt and tie which match.
I tend to find it better if the person interviewing you can't see what colour pants you are wearing :oops:

anti-pacer

Established Member
Pleasure, I am not sure where you want to end up but I personally know people that have gone from the gate line or ticket office straight to guards or drivers positions etc etc. It really is a question of getting in, once you are in it is up to you to show how conscientious and reliable you can be to forward yourself, okay some will get taken straight on from outside into the job they desire but I worked the long game. Each has its merits but I firmly believe that getting in first will improve your chances of moving up the ladder.

Also dont sell yourself short on the application form, you have to really sell yourself and put your good bits out there, I think its normal to go the extra mile when things have gone wrong (watching the sunrise when on the way home because I finished work 3 and a half hours later than I should have because I did an extra trip to Waterloo when it had gone base over apex for example) and its worth mentioning because that is exactly what they are looking for. Dont lie obviously but really go to town on your good points. Good luck for the future.

Once again 455, many thanks. I appreciate it, and will use what you and others have said. It's very valuable advice and I will certainly be approaching my applications differently.

TOCDriver

Keep it a secret in the interview but when you are in you are in, no need to keep it a secret anymore, you will probably make friends with others on the job who are also trainspotters, every depot seems to have at least a few trainspotters.

Spotters working in the job usually get the P taken out of them. I know a couple of enthusiasts (drivers and guards) who don't like their interest being broadcast about the mess room for exactly that reason. I'm sure there are a couple on here who are of like mind!

Beveridges

Established Member
Spotters working in the job usually get the P taken out of them. I know a couple of enthusiasts (drivers and guards) who don't like their interest being broadcast about the mess room for exactly that reason. I'm sure there are a couple on here who are of like mind!

Keeping it a secret is foolish as I would have not made 2 friends at work if I kept it a secret. I even take photos and video trains passing the depot if theres anything of interest.

Never mention it in the Interview though! That is the only time when it needs to be kept secret.

Last edited:

TOCDriver

Keeping it a secret is foolish as I would have not made 2 friends at work if I kept it a secret. I even take photos and video trains passing the depot if theres anything of interest. **** taking happens no matter what and if it isnt trainspotting its something else.

Ill be the first to admit that Going out trainspotting on your own can be a miserable experience so the more friends you've got the better, and a few can always be made on the job but never will if you keep it a secret.

Never mention it in the Interview though! That is the only time when it needs to be kept secret.

It's all about personal choice at the end of the day

Beveridges

Established Member
Football, Cars and moaning about work related things seems to be the main messroom talk unfortunately, and it seems that way everywhere. Still the odd discussion about classic diesels comes up from time to time if the spotters are on.

Last edited:

AndyLandy

Established Member
Football, Cars and moaning about work related things seems to be the main messroom talk unfortunately, and it seems that way everywhere. Still the odd discussion about classic diesels comes up from time to time if the spotters are on.

That's a common theme. I've been known to remark on occasion "If you don't like my train enthusiasm, that's fine; but if I ever see you enthusing about cars, I'll kick you in the shins!" :lol:

KneeOn

I've worked for McDonald's for three years since 17. Today I sent off my contract for my third attempted (two with Southern as a conductor and driver although I had technical issues with the driver one and withdrew it when HR didn't get back to me about fixing it). I have induction with FCC for Revenue Protection on the 7th.

Funny thing is I actually applied for a customer service role. They phoned me and offered me a job that pays 10,000 more, involves being on the trains them selves and is all around more than "just" the customer service role.

Keep on plugging away!

muttynut

Really?
Thats not what gets in our messrooms.;)

Nope not in our messrooms either .... to be honest im not sure if the op is cut out for a railway job having read some of their anti rail posts although thats just my own opinion .... why so keen to work somewhere that you dont like ... anyway its probably down to your cv and relevant experience on the application forms have you tried a job club they help with writing good cv's

stevienash

Seriously starting to think I am never going to get into the rail industry!

After my shambolic treatment of my application for trainee conductor I dusted myself down applied for 2 more jobs with Arriva only to fail at the interview stage and fail on line tests for another.

Being trying for nearly 2 years now.

DunfordBridge

So far I have been turned down for:

East Coast - Train Guard
Northern - Gateline Assistant
TPE - Travel Centre Advisor

... and now an email from East Coast telling me I've not been successful for a Despatcher job.

I feel like giving up on this dream of working in the industry, but part of me thinks something will come up.... eventually!

P.S. I seem to get every other job I go for outside of the industry.

I feel the same way sometimes and I have had more joy than you. The strange thing is that I have several years of experience working as a computer man but I have attracted proportionally more interest from rail companies than otherwise.

What you need is an action plan that prepares you for all stages of the recruitment process. Ultimately, you will encounter interviews, an interview that is structured , and one which is more informal with the depot manager or line manager. In preparing apt responses for both of these interviews which can be very probing, you will no doubt find useful material for the application form.

Details of specimen questions asked in the two interviews can be found in various places on this forum so you have come to the right place as you may have gathered. I am not quite sure exactly what goes off at the conductor CBI as distinct from the driver CBI (Criteria Based Interview) but I am sure there will be some commonality such as examples of working to rules and procedures. With conductor applications, you will no doubt be asked of when you have provided excellent customer service.

I would say that you also need to try and get to know the job inside out insofar as you are able. There are different ways of achieving this. You could try volunteering as a heritage line (emphatically not the same as working on the main line however), talking to rail employess, etc. Even reading websites such as Answers on Yahoo can offer some insight as well as industry websites such as RGS online.

If you normally drive to work, it may be an idea to ditch the car for a while and buy a season ticket just keeping your eye out for unusal circumstances and how the rail employees handle certain situations. Even if it is something so trivial as someone wanting to smoke a fake cigarette in a carriage.

My point is that you can be doing all of the above whilst you are waiting for your next opportunity. The material is out there waiting to be discovered. I even met a woman recently who changed profession from a nurse, I believe, to a bus driver in order to gain the requisite experience.

Finally, do not forget to read such things as the passenger charter and naturally the job description which may offer clues for the type of people sought for the job, although at the end of the day, most employers will be looking for the same essential skills such as the ability to work to rules and procedures and to concentrate for long periods of time, not to mention experience of working shifts and possibly working alone, in fact I would go back and read the the sentence again about shiftwork.

Hope this helps.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Never been a big fan of football and one of my reasons for wanting to join the railway is to get away from cars and some of the people who drive them, for want of a better term.
There was an incident a few years back adjacent to well known freight depot and on investigation there was a steam train in the depot and this was a major factor on the reason for the incident. Distraction was the root cause.

Live and learn, I also wondered why expressing enthusiasm for the railways was seen as a drawback in interviews.
I did however see quite a few people when I attended the FTPE process in April who had no ties, ties wide open and top buttons open. My own preference is always matching jacket and pants, shirt and tie which match. We all have different standard's but I can't see the point of attending anything if you're wearing pants, shirt,tie and a bomber jacket ??? which I also saw a few of at the FTPE process.

In my view, if you are going to turn up sporting such an appearance, may as well just turn up half a hour later for the interview. I personally would not have an open collar as I am such no-one wants to see any of my bodily hair.

Ironically, I have been interviewing for the post of IT Assistant and someone turned up in jeans and a shirt which I found mildly insulting. Bizarrely, we were going to bring him back again as he demonstrated ability.

Last edited:

AndyLandy

Established Member
Ironically, I have been interviewing for the post of IT Assistant and someone turned up in jeans and a shirt which I found mildly insulting. Bizarrely, we were going to invite him back as he demonstrated ability.

I don't find that bizarre at all. I've been recruiting for IT posts lately and I don't really give a hoot what people wear, either to the interview, or to work. I assess candidates on their technical ability to do the job. Making decisions on someone's choice of interview attire is akin to judging a book by its cover. It just makes no sense at all to me.

DunfordBridge

I don't find that bizarre at all. I've been recruiting for IT posts lately and I don't really give a hoot what people wear, either to the interview, or to work. I assess candidates on their technical ability to do the job. Making decisions on someone's choice of interview attire is akin to judging a book by its cover. It just makes no sense at all to me.

Sorry, I did not make myself abundantly clear. The candidate was booked in for a second interview but I was informed a few hours before that he would not be attending as he had been made another offer.

Rightly or wrongly, I actually found myself making a few extra allowances on account of his choice of atire but we do have a dress code at our office which any new employee would be expected to respect.

If I may draw an analogy, in an interview situation you would normally try to sell yourself to the best of your ability in the same say that you would strive to obtain the best possible website for your company to advertise your products and services in order to try to maximise sales.

AndyLandy

Established Member
Sorry, I did not make myself abundantly clear. The candidate was booked in for a second interview but I was informed a few hours before that he would not be attending as he had been made another offer.

Rightly or wrongly, I actually found myself making a few extra allowances on account of his choice of atire but we do have a dress code at our office which any new employee would be expected to respect.

If I may draw an analogy, in an interview situation you would normally try to sell yourself to the best of your ability in the same say that you would strive to obtain the best possible website for your company to advertise your products and services in order to try to maximise sales.

It's certainly interesting. I would always wear a suit to an interview. Matching trousers and jacket, smart shirt and a necktie; but sitting on an interview panel, I don't really worry too much about what the candidate is wearing. That said, we don't have an office dress code and our devs aren't customer-facing.

The thing I find most ironic that our top programmers turned out to be the guys who showed up to interview in jeans & T-shirt. That's largely the reason I don't take attire into consideration at an interview.

DunfordBridge

It's certainly interesting. I would always wear a suit to an interview. Matching trousers and jacket, smart shirt and a necktie; but sitting on an interview panel, I don't really worry too much about what the candidate is wearing. That said, we don't have an office dress code and our devs aren't customer-facing.

The thing I find most ironic that our top programmers turned out to be the guys who showed up to interview in jeans & T-shirt. That's largely the reason I don't take attire into consideration at an interview.

I do not actually work in the IT industry per se, moreover provide an IT function in a service industry, but on occasion, I, or someone working with me, have had to have dealings with the clients.

It just so happens that the candidate who wore jeans was the best performer when it came to the programming exercise that followed the interview. Maybe the more confident programmers do not feel the need to dress to impress.

As an aside, I cannot help but be intrigued about the average age of workers within the IT industry. Despite having made numerous applications and having a number of years experience in my present role and in my previous role as a freelance programmer, I have not been invited to a single interview in recent years for the post of programmer or similar.

I understand that I am a little older than the average age of workers in the rail industry.

Northernboy67

This is a question I have repeatedly asked myself over the years since leaving school. I tried to join The London Underground in 1990. I failed the first medical, and after receiving a letter from my GP, I was invited for a 2nd medical, which I passed. I never heard anything afterwards. I contacted London Underground, to be told just that there were no jobs!!. No feedback or anything. 11 years later I applied again, and was invited for an assessment. This was cancelled 2 days before the date, and would be re-scheduled. On contacting them again, they claimed they had written to me, offering me a position as Station Assistant. I never received the letter. I applied to a few more TOC's onwards, before I got invited for an assessment on South Eastern Trains for HS1 Train Manager. I passed this, and went for my interview. I believe I gave the wrong answer, where I said if there was trouble, and the Police could not arrive, I said I would delay the train. Wrong answer. But as never worked in the industry, how should I know? I keep applying and I am almost within a shout with a TOC.

Northernboy67.

TDK

Established Member
Do you dress in a suit?

Do you mean not wearing a suit would be a reason to be rejected?

Wearing a suit will assist in you getting the job, it wont hurt. However I suspect that some people get jobs if they don't wear a suit but no many.

Status
Not open for further replies.