• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

American Signalling Practice: "Passenger trains exceeding 40 MPH immediately reduce to that speed."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egg Centric

Having a bit of fun with the pre release version of Train Sim World 4 on the Antelope Valley Line - the signals are explained here.

So my question is whether they actually mean literally as described. For example, suppose you pass a signal with an aspect that says you must reduce to 40mph, but you know the next signal you will pass is in 3 miles while you have a station to stop at in 2 miles. Do you still actually need to slow down to 40mph? Or are there rules that say you can ignore that in certain circumstances - and would you having to stop beforehand be one?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AdamWW

Established Member
Having a bit of fun with the pre release version of Train Sim World 4 on the Antelope Valley Line - the signals are explained here.

So my question is whether they actually mean literally as described. For example, suppose you pass a signal with an aspect that says you must reduce to 40mph, but you know the next signal you will pass is in 3 miles while you have a station to stop at in 2 miles. Do you still actually need to slow down to 40mph? Or are there rules that say you can ignore that in certain circumstances - and would you having to stop beforehand be one?

That's an interesting question.

What I've usually seen for North American signalling is that the speed indications are not in order to approach the next signal at the right speed, but to ensure you don't go too fast over diverging points immediately following the signal. (In the UK of course the signal would indicate the route to the driver and it would be up to them to choose the appropriate speed).

So signals will generally indicate two speeds - an immediate one, and the speed that the next signal is indicating.

But that doesn't seem to be the case for the signals you've provided links so, so I'm quite curious about that too.

Jovet

This thread caught my attention (because of the link) so I will try and help answer any questions to which I know the answers.

Yes, the rules must be adhered to verbatim. There are no 'official' exceptions. These speed restrictions are imposed for safety and good train (lading) handling, not for considerations of station stops.

Different managers or levels of management may attempt to interpret and enforce such rules a particular way. For example, when not explicitly specified, the imagination can derive several options for when the slow-down should happen:
  • As soon as the train crew observes the signal requiring the reduction in speed;
  • As soon as the leading end of the movement passes the signal requiring the reduction in speed;
  • Before the leading end passes the next signal encountered after the signal requiring the reduction in speed.
The customary interpretation of the Metrolink rules you're discussing would be the second option. But, some managers may see "Immediately" and think the first option. Other signal rules, such as 9.1.5 Approach Fifty definitely mean the third option.

If the train needs to go slower than 40 MPH (or whatever), that's fine because it's under the rule limitation. The main point is to ensure trains are going slow enough to be able to stop before a danger signal to avoid a SPAD. The "approach" signals are the ones encountered before a signal requiring a stop, and the "advance approach" signals are often encountered before the "approach" signals. The highest speed and heaviest trains, and the length of the signal blocks, determine how much warning the signals are wired to give for upcoming stops.

What I've usually seen for North American signalling is that the speed indications are not in order to approach the next signal at the right speed, but to ensure you don't go too fast over diverging points immediately following the signal. (In the UK of course the signal would indicate the route to the driver and it would be up to them to choose the appropriate speed).​

So signals will generally indicate two speeds - an immediate one, and the speed that the next signal is indicating.

But that doesn't seem to be the case for the signals you've provided links so, so I'm quite curious about that too.

As you may or may not be aware, there are two main classifications of American signaling schemas: route signaling and speed signaling. Both are extensively used in the United States. Canada uses one of the more advanced and intricate speed signaling systems.

The only difference between them is that speed signaling schemas prescribe a specific diverging movement speed limit as conveyed by the signal rule, and route signaling schemas do not. For speed signaling, generally speaking, the higher on the pole the non-red light, the faster the train is permitted to go. But with route signaling, the speed limit is prescribed in the timetable for each location, and may be different at each signal. It may also be different for different aspects of Diverging Clear. Rules in both types of schemas can provide instructions on reduction of speeds for safe train handling, but this alone does not a speed signaling schema make. Most speed signaling schemas only prescribe a particular speed at the current signal or at the next one, not both. If you look at the Canadian CROR rules, which does do both, you can see what that looks like.

Typical Signal Aspect​
Speed Signaling Interpretation​
Route Signaling Interpretation​
UKRailForum_Clear1.png
Clear​
Clear​
UKRailForum_DivClear1.png
Medium Clear​
Diverging Clear​
UKRailForum_DivClearLtd1.gif
Limited Clear​
Diverging Clear Limited (special)​
UKRailForum_SlowClear1.png
Slow Clear​
Diverging Clear​

For the record, that link does not describe all of the signals on the route. The signals in the link are only Metrolink signals on Metrolink owned track, but the route can use Union Pacific and/or Burlington Northern Santa Fe track as well (such as LA station), and the signaling rules for those railroads apply at those locations. See my main signal rules page. (Train simulation signaling usually isn't recreated to be totally realistic and prototypical, so your virtual mileage may vary.)

Last edited:

ac6000cw

Established Member
This thread caught my attention (because of the link) so I will try and help answer any questions to which I know the answers.
Thanks for all the great info on US & Canada signaling and operating rules :smile: - I'd never come across your website before, despite being interested in US railroads for over 30 years.

The signals in the link are only Metrolink signals on Metrolink owned track, but the route can use Union Pacific and/or Burlington Northern Santa Fe track as well (such as LA station), and the signaling rules for those railroads apply at those locations.
AFAIK, LA Union Station is Metrolink (SCRRA) owned and dispatched, part of the SCRRA River Subdivision - there's detailed passenger route subdivision track maps (as at 2016) in this Caltrans document: https://dot.ca.gov/-/media/dot-medi...ocuments/f0009927-ca-rail-schematics-a11y.pdf

AdamWW

Established Member
As you may or may not be aware, there are two main classifications of American signaling schemas: route signaling and speed signaling. Both are extensively used in the United States. Canada uses one of the more advanced and intricate speed signaling systems.

Interesting. I'm certainly aware of what route and speed signalling are, but I didn't think that North America went in for route signalling.

I know all the CROR aspects and assumed (dangerous!) that US practise was similar but not necessarily displaying aspects in the same way.

eldomtom2

On Moderation
Interesting. I'm certainly aware of what route and speed signalling are, but I didn't think that North America went in for route signalling.
It depends on the railroad - signal standardisation has not been a strong point of US railroads. Chicago's Metra provides a simple example of American route signalling:
Metra+97+Sig+Asp.jpg
Note that it uses progressive speed signalling for aspects preceding a red, but route signalling at junctions - a common combination around the world, and why one has to be careful with their terminology when it comes to the vague term of "speed signalling", which can mean two entirely different things.

etr221

My own take on what is generally referred to as 'speed signalling', in North America and elsewhere, is that is often actually a 'route indicated by speed' (i.e. fast/medium/slow (sometimes more precisely defined), rather than direction (left/straight/right)). Actual 'speed indication' (how fast train can go) has - until the relatively recent development of fairly sophisticated cab signalling - been distinctly unusual (though I think the Dutch use/used signals which did display a figure indicating speed). The 'immediate reduction of speed' in instructions for 'advance' aspects I have always taken as having a 'you must do something now so you don't forget you've passed an approach signal and are prepared to stop' meaning, not a speed limit as such.

Egg Centric

@Jovet thank you for all the detail, it is hugely appreciated. Why is it that there are so many aspects that mean the same thing? In particular are the "black" aspects signal head failures or something else?
1695764896894.png

Here is an example from your BNSF page.

Is that essentially just meaning "if the only colour you can see is red, and at least one of them is flashing, it's restricting"?

(actually it can't be that can it? There are several 3 aspect possibilities with the bottom being a flashing red which aren't in that diagram)

Last edited:

etr221

One way of understanding American signalling aspects, where there are multiple lights, is to read them as two or three signals - separate for fast/medium/slow routes (in the way we used to - and in semaphore areas still do - have separate ones (arms or lights) for different directions at junctions).

So green over reds - line clear, high speed route; and reds over green (i.e. green under reds) - line clear, low speed route.

Also there is a willingness to switch off unnecessary signal heads when appropriate (why have three reds, when just having one will convey the stop message?).

Nor should it forgotten that some of the charts need to reflect different heritages - so, e.g. BNSF have to cater for former ATSF/BN(in turn CBQ/GN/NP)/etc practises.
@Jovet thank you for all the detail, it is hugely appreciated. Why is it that there are so many aspects that mean the same thing? In particular are the "black" aspects signal head failures or something else?
View attachment 143595

Here is an example from your BNSF page.

Is that essentially just meaning "if the only colour you can see is red, and at least one of them is flashing, it's restricting"?

(actually it can't be that can it? There are several 3 aspect possibilities with the bottom being a flashing red which aren't in that diagram)
Yes - if you can see another colour, it's not 'restricting' (different aspect, different indication). Note which light (signal head) is flashing has significance, as to which route is set.

Quote from a rules examiner (I think): 'If it's not all red, it's not red at all' (and you don't have to stop)

Jovet

AFAIK, LA Union Station is Metrolink (SCRRA) owned and dispatched, part of the SCRRA River Subdivision - there's detailed passenger route subdivision track maps (as at 2016) in this Caltrans document: https://dot.ca.gov/-/media/dot-medi...ocuments/f0009927-ca-rail-schematics-a11y.pdf
I sit corrected! I have always been under the impression that was BNSF-owned and maintained, and that Metrolink track started to the north.

I know all the CROR aspects and assumed (dangerous!) that US practise was similar but not necessarily displaying aspects in the same way.

Yes. Route signaling is most-prevalent west of the Mississippi River, and speed signaling is most-prevalent to the east. Of the big "Class 1" railroads, with regard to territory in the US:
RailroadSignal Schema Type
Burlington-Northern Santa FeRoute signaling
Union PacificRoute signaling
CSXSpeed signaling
Norfolk SouthernOfficial signaling is route, but pockets of predecessor-inherited speed signaling exist
CPKC (Canadian Pacific + Kansas City Southern)Mix of speed or route, depending on history of the particular line
Canadian NationalMix of speed or route, depending on history of the particular line
AmtrakSpeed signaling

Many aspects (if not the indications) are the same across many different American railroad signaling systems.

The best way to learn to understand how and why American signals are the way they are is to read Al Krug's page about signaling. It's no longer fresh on the internet, but an archive of it can be read through here:
Al Krug’s Signaling Page (archive)

It depends on the railroad - signal standardisation has not been a strong point of US railroads.
Signal standardization is not of much interest to US railroads. There have been moves towards such standardization (such as the NORAC rule book), but it's very expensive to change all the signals and retrain all the crews. The cost-to-benefit ratio just isn't there.

My own take on what is generally referred to as 'speed signalling', in North America and elsewhere, is that is often actually a 'route indicated by speed' (i.e. fast/medium/slow (sometimes more precisely defined), rather than direction (left/straight/right)). Actual 'speed indication' (how fast train can go) has - until the relatively recent development of fairly sophisticated cab signalling - been distinctly unusual (though I think the Dutch use/used signals which did display a figure indicating speed).
That's generally correct. British and Irish route signaling is truer route signaling since the left-hand arm speaks to the left-hand track, and so forth. The United States does not have such arrangements at all, as all the different arms/heads are vertically stacked. But, US route signaling may or may not equate to "left" or "right."
UKRailForum_DivClear1.png
This signal, in a route signaling schema, would be called Diverging Clear. It could stand for the left track, the right track, two left tracks, all diverging tracks, whatever. It may or may not be different route or speed limit than this signal:
UKRailForum_SlowClear1.png
...which would also be called Diverging Clear. The modern big railroads tend to streamline for speed. It's much less likely to find a 3-head signal like these if there is only 1 diverging speed, no matte rhow many switches or tracks there may be to diverge to. If all track switches require the same speed limit, no matter how many they are, then a simple Red over Green can indicate for all of them. If there are multiple switches protected by a signal and some of those switches are different speeds, then you're likely to see the three heads with the bottom head showing for the lower speed, whatever it may be.

The 'immediate reduction of speed' in instructions for 'advance' aspects I have always taken as having a 'you must do something now so you don't forget you've passed an approach signal and are prepared to stop' meaning, not a speed limit as such.
The train crews know their territory and (should) know from experience when they need to slow down to comply with the rules.

@Jovet thank you for all the detail, it is hugely appreciated.
You're very welcome!

@Jovet Why is it that there are so many aspects that mean the same thing? In particular are the "black" aspects signal head failures or something else?
That aspect is properly called Dark, and the main point is that the signal aspect the train crew is interpreting must conform to one in the rulebook. If a signal appears to have an aspect (through one or more lights, or lack thereof) that is not in the rulebook, then the signal is to be considered improperly displayed, and interpreted as its most-restrictive indication. (An absolute signal should then be construed as showing Stop, and a permissive signal as showing Stop and Proceed or Restricted Proceed or Restricting or whatever is the most-restrictive indication for permissive signals on that line.)

The dark heads could be burnt-out, malfunctioning, or marker lamps that only light up to show one color for a different aspect/indication. It's cheaper to put a fixed marker lamp on a signal which only needs to light up as necessary than to put a whole 2-3-4-lamp signal head there. Because the United States has four common standardized railroad signal light colors (Red, Yellow, Green, Lunar White), some designs of signal apparatuses (e.g. searchlights) can be physically limited to fewer than that, so not all colors are possible on a given head; in that case, Dark is most-commonly displayed when it would otherwise be showing Red.

In the cases where the lamp is burnt out, having such a an aspect depicted in the rules avoids any fuss with improperly displayed signals. Some rulebooks explicitly show dark heads like this, and others may add disclaimers in their text saying along the lines of "any dark signal heads below any lit ones may be considered to be showing Red" or the like... and in such cases I'll typically put all the dark heads in my chart.

You did notice that not every combination is presented, so it's only the verbatim ones shown that are allowed. Other combinations are "not possible," "not likely," or are too egregious to ignore and must be called for repair. For example, it would never be permitted for more than one of the Reds to flash at the same time, so that's an automatic failure.

Note which light (signal head) is flashing has significance, as to which route is set.
It might! Or it might not. Such details were often present "back in the day" but today it's less common. It really depends on the whim of the signal engineer/designer and the general policy of the railroad at the time it's constructed.

Last edited:

AdamWW

Established Member
Yes. Route signaling is most-prevalent west of the Mississippi River, and speed signaling is most-prevalent to the east. Of the big "Class 1" railroads, with regard to territory in the US:

OK I now understand my confusion.

There seem to essentially be three systems:
A: Speed signalling - signals explicitly indicate what speed is required at divergences
B: Route signalling as used in North America - signals implicitly indicate speed at divergences - it's up to the driver to know the appropriate speed, but route indication is limited to what is needed in order to do so. There is no distinction between multiple diverging routes at the same speed (or information on whether the divergence is to the left or right).
C: Route signalling as used in the UK - signals fully indicate route (and thus also implicitly indicate speed). But if there are multiple routes, each is shown separately even if they are to be taken at the same speed. If it's possible to reach one of 12 platforms in a station then the signal needs to be able to distinguish between all 12 even if the speed is 20 mph for all of them. Even if there is just one route, it will be indicated whether it's to the left or right.

I have been (incorrectly, it seems) thinking of only C as being route signalling.

Quote from a rules examiner (I think): 'If it's not all red, it's not red at all' (and you don't have to stop)

Which seems odd to UK eyes. Though of course it is the case for junction semaphores.

One way of understanding American signalling aspects, where there are multiple lights, is to read them as two or three signals - separate for fast/medium/slow routes (in the way we used to - and in semaphore areas still do - have separate ones (arms or lights) for different directions at junctions).

So green over reds - line clear, high speed route; and reds over green (i.e. green under reds) - line clear, low speed route.

Though this doesn't always seem to work.

For example in Canadian rules, then a single green or yellow indicates speed at the signal by its position (clear/medium/slow), and the state of the following signal by colour, as above. But only if the following signal is at clear or stop.

If the following signal is at an intermediate speed, the speed at the signal is indicated by the colour of the light in the second position with the third position indicating the speed at the next signal, again by colour.

(I've ignored flashing aspects in the above).

ac6000cw

Established Member
The modern big railroads tend to streamline for speed. It's much less likely to find a 3-head signal like these if there is only 1 diverging speed, no matter how many switches or tracks there may be to diverge to. If all track switches require the same speed limit, no matter how many they are, then a simple Red over Green can indicate for all of them. If there are multiple switches protected by a signal and some of those switches are different speeds, then you're likely to see the three heads with the bottom head showing for the lower speed, whatever it may be.
Just from casual observation on my visits to the US, I'd very much agree with that - on the 'route signaling' railroads three stacked heads are not very common.

Another thing that wasn't immediately obvious to me years ago is that generally automatic signals (the ones with number plates below the heads) are permissive - the most restrictive indication is 'proceed at restricted speed' or equivalent. I assume this came about because early automatic block signal installations long pre-date train radio communications, so it kept trains moving (slowly) in the event of signal failures.

Out of curiosity, in the (my) picture below is what appears to be a both-directions automatic signal in what I think is a CTC area, with on the far side of the post (facing westbound trains) a smaller subsidiary light below the main head. It's on the ex-Western Pacific route west of Portola, now the UP Canyon Sub, looking southeast at the Camp Layman Road grade crossing. There is a passing loop about 2.5 miles west/behind the camera, so maybe the subsidiary light is associated with entry to that loop:

1695815423839.png

Though this doesn't always seem to work.

For example in Canadian rules, then a single green or yellow indicates speed at the signal by its position (clear/medium/slow), and the state of the following signal by colour, as above. But only if the following signal is at clear or stop.

If the following signal is at an intermediate speed, the speed at the signal is indicated by the colour of the light in the second position with the third position indicating the speed at the next signal, again by colour.

(I've ignored flashing aspects in the above).
I think etr221 was basically talking about route-signalling, whereas you are talking about speed-signalling?

Last edited:

AdamWW

Established Member
Another thing that wasn't immediately obvious to me years ago is that generally automatic signals (the ones with number plates below the heads) are permissive - the most restrictive indication is 'proceed at restricted speed' or equivalent. I assume this came about because early automatic block signal installations long pre-date train radio communications, so it kept trains moving (slowly) in the event of signal failures.

Don't we (or didn't we) have a rule in the UK that a red automatic signal can be passed cautiously if it stays red and it's not possible to contact the signaller? Unlikely these days of course that it wouldn't be possible to make contact.

In France they have a clear disctinction between passable "franchissable" red signals and otherwise. (I always thought it wasn't ideal that before the CTRL, Eurostar drivers would encounter passable single red aspects in France and non passable ones in the UK).

I think etr221 was basically talking about route-signalling, whereas you are talking about speed-signalling?

That wasn't my interpretation.

The idea of position indicating speed works both whether the speeds are explicitly or implicitly defined.

Railsigns

Established Member
Don't we (or didn't we) have a rule in the UK that a red automatic signal can be passed cautiously if it stays red and it's not possible to contact the signaller?
We did, up until 2010.

ac6000cw

Established Member
Don't we (or didn't we) have a rule in the UK that a red automatic signal can be passed cautiously if it stays red and it's not possible to contact the signaller? Unlikely these days of course that it wouldn't be possible to make contact.
Certainly in the past - see https://www.railsigns.uk/sect9page1.html

In France they have a clear disctinction between passable "franchissable" red signals and otherwise.
...which is (as I understand it) basically what the presence or absence of a signal number plate in the US implies i.e. no number plate means it's a controlled absolute signal (but which may be able to display a 'proceed at restricted speed' aspect which is different from the 'stop' aspect). So the same signal aspect can convey a different instruction/authority depending on if the signal has a number plate or not.

AdamWW

Established Member
...which is (as I understand it) basically what the presence or absence of a signal number plate in the US implies i.e. no number plate means it's a controlled absolute signal (but which may be able to display a 'proceed at restricted speed' aspect which is different from the 'stop' aspect). So the same signal aspect can convey a different instruction/authority depending on if the signal has a number plate or not.

I don't know how the term aspect is defined but it would seem helpful to me to consider any relevant plates as part of the aspect.

Of course automatic signals in the UK are (were) also distinguished from non automatic ones by a plate in a similar manner.

In the Canadian rules, a single red is passable - two or three reds aren't.

With exceptions of course - a single red with an "A" plate isn't passable, two reds on opposite sides of the pole are...

eldomtom2

On Moderation
Actual 'speed indication' (how fast train can go) has - until the relatively recent development of fairly sophisticated cab signalling - been distinctly unusual (though I think the Dutch use/used signals which did display a figure indicating speed).
It's actually fairly common, though giving it a specific name seems fairly rare - the only name I've seen for it is the seemingly Dutch-coined "progressive speed signalling". Examples of large and famous rail networks using progressive speed signalling are Germany and Japan.
Signal standardization is not of much interest to US railroads. There have been moves towards such standardization (such as the NORAC rule book), but it's very expensive to change all the signals and retrain all the crews. The cost-to-benefit ratio just isn't there.
US railroads tend to find little that meets their requirements for cost-to-benefit ratios...
The train crews know their territory and (should) know from experience when they need to slow down to comply with the rules.
That's a very American attitude to safety - "they should know the rules, why should we bother safeguarding against error?".

Jovet

OK I now understand my confusion.
There seem to essentially be three systems:
A: Speed signalling - signals explicitly indicate what speed is required at divergences
B: Route signalling as used in North America - signals implicitly indicate speed at divergences - it's up to the driver to know the appropriate speed, but route indication is limited to what is needed in order to do so. There is no distinction between multiple diverging routes at the same speed (or information on whether the divergence is to the left or right).
C: Route signalling as used in the UK - signals fully indicate route (and thus also implicitly indicate speed). But if there are multiple routes, each is shown separately even if they are to be taken at the same speed. If it's possible to reach one of 12 platforms in a station then the signal needs to be able to distinguish between all 12 even if the speed is 20 mph for all of them. Even if there is just one route, it will be indicated whether it's to the left or right.
I have been (incorrectly, it seems) thinking of only C as being route signalling.
Yes, this is one way of looking at it. American signaling started out as "C" as well, but true "C" design is a lot harder to find these days.
North American doesn't use feathers, but there have been and are ways of displaying a track or route number or ID when it is necessary. Today this is typically done with a large LED-matrix display which light up LEDs according to alphanumeric characters.

The Canadian signal rules get pretty messy once you get down to the Slow speed aspects, in my opinion. It's not an intuitive system. But, at least it's sort-of logically consistent.

Just from casual observation on my visits to the US, I'd very much agree with that - on the 'route signaling' railroads three stacked heads are not very common.
Not common, but not rare, either. They are used where they are needed. While I attribute most such usage to the need to display advanced aspects (e.g. using more than one signal head), such as Diverging Approach Diverging (Red over Yellow over Yellow), there are surely situations of different track/switch speeds, too.

With speed signaling, three-head signals are more common, depending on the detailed idiosyncrasies of the schema too.

Exactly correct.

"Automatic signal" is a bit of a fuzzy term to me, because it implies it is completely automatic and only actuated by trains in the signal blocks near it. Most permissive signals have more safety features (such as a tumbledown) which results from the detection of a direction traffic entering the single-track stretch between sidings/junctions.

Out of curiosity, in the (my) picture below is what appears to be a both-directions automatic signal in what I think is a CTC area, with on the far side of the post (facing westbound trains) a smaller subsidiary light below the main head. It's on the ex-Western Pacific route west of Portola, now the UP Canyon Sub, looking southeast at the Camp Layman Road grade crossing. There is a passing loop about 2.5 miles west/behind the camera, so maybe the subsidiary light is associated with entry to that loop:
Yes, correct again. That lower lamp is what I mentioned before in this thread as a marker lamp. It only lights up one color and is dark when not otherwise needed. That lamp is surely Yellow colored, and lights up when the signal needs to display Approach Diverging (Yellow over Yellow) for when the siding track is to be taken at the next signal.

According to the satellite view, that signal still exists as a searchlight, if the view is current.... though its innards could have been ripped out and changed to a solid-state replacement. I only mention that because searchlights are largely gone due to the fact they're integral to the signal block wiring but which is not compatible with microprocessor-driven Positive Train Control systems.

I have a few pedantic corrections to add here:

All controlled signals are absolute, but not all absolute signals are controlled signals. Controlled means that it's under the control of the dispatcher/control operator/etcetera about whether it shows Stop, or something better (track conditions permitting). Such locations of signals are called a control point, these are almost always interlockings. But, some American methods of working use absolute signals that are not controlled. Here is an example to read about.

Technically speaking, the number plate is part of the signal aspect along with the lights. With or without a number plate are two different aspects, especially since the rules stipulate that it makes a difference.

I'm not sure about in Britain, but in the US, authority is a special term that that describes the right or permission of a train to occupy a (main) track. In North America, Centralized Traffic Control (CTC) (or its equivalent) is the only method of working where the signals themselves convey and grant movement authority. In lesser systems, like Automatic Block Signaling (ABS) or Absolute Permissive Block signaling (APB), the signals are just an extra layer of safety over the method of working, and authority must be conveyed separately.

I don't know how the term aspect is defined but it would seem helpful to me to consider any relevant plates as part of the aspect.
Yup!

In the Canadian rules, a single red is passable - two or three reds aren't.
With exceptions of course - a single red with an "A" plate isn't passable, two reds on opposite sides of the pole are...
This is, of course, an opportunity for wrong-side failure. If the "A" placard falls off or is removed, the Red signal is instantly upgraded from Stop Signal to Stop and Proceed Signal and that's very-much a bad thing.

That's a very American attitude to safety - "they should know the rules, why should we bother safeguarding against error?".
That isn't what I wrote. I wrote that they should know their territory, and consequently will know how to comply with the rules. Each location and specific circumstance is different, and one location may allow the crew to put off slowing down significantly for a while, while another location may need them to do so right away.

ac6000cw

Established Member
I have a few pedantic corrections to add here:

All controlled signals are absolute, but not all absolute signals are controlled signals. Controlled means that it's under the control of the dispatcher/control operator/etcetera about whether it shows Stop, or something better (track conditions permitting). Such locations of signals are called a control point, these are almost always interlockings. But, some American methods of working use absolute signals that are not controlled. Here is an example to read about.

Technically speaking, the number plate is part of the signal aspect along with the lights. With or without a number plate are two different aspects, especially since the rules stipulate that it makes a difference.
Thanks for the (important) corrections, and the link to the 'Absolute Permissive Block' description is very interesting - I'd never read about the single-line equivalent of ABS before (automatic signals and hand-thrown switches).

I'm not sure about in Britain, but in the US, authority is a special term that that describes the right or permission of a train to occupy a (main) track. In North America, Centralized Traffic Control (CTC) (or its equivalent) is the only method of working where the signals themselves convey and grant movement authority. In lesser systems, like Automatic Block Signaling (ABS) or Absolute Permissive Block signaling (APB), the signals are just an extra layer of safety over the method of working, and authority must be conveyed separately.
In CTC or equivalent areas, does a dispatcher still need to grant authority for a train to depart e.g. a yard at the start of its journey and enter a main track (in addition to the signals permitting the movement)?

According to the satellite view, that signal still exists as a searchlight, if the view is current.... though its innards could have been ripped out and changed to a solid-state replacement. I only mention that because searchlights are largely gone due to the fact they're integral to the signal block wiring but which is not compatible with microprocessor-driven Positive Train Control systems.
My photo was taken in 2015 (as a scenic 'diverging lines' image with the railway and the river side-by-side - no trains there, but I did get lucky and see one on the Keddie Wye bridges later in the day) :

1695887389945.png

AdamWW

Established Member
The Canadian signal rules get pretty messy once you get down to the Slow speed aspects, in my opinion. It's not an intuitive system. But, at least it's sort-of logically consistent.

Yes the rules on when slow needs a flashing light to be slow and not restricted are a bit confusing.

I agree the overall scheme is mostly consistent, so long as you realise there are two different schemes in use to indicate speed and you have to keep track of which one each aspect uses.
I.e. it could be position, e.g. top for line speed, middle for medium, bottom for slow.
Or it could be colour e.g. green for medium, yellow (or flashing yellow) for slow.

I'm sure it gets easier with practise - and also presumably on a given route you're not likely to be faced with examples of every single potential aspect.

Yes, this is one way of looking at it. American signaling started out as "C" as well, but true "C" design is a lot harder to find these days.

Thinking about this a bit more, I can see grounds for (as I have been) thinking of both North American systems as speed signalling, because the only information they give on routes is that required to know the appropriate speed.
In both cases aspects indicate speed, it's just that with route signalling the speed for a given aspect can vary from signal to signal rather than being fixed for all signals.
Whereas the UK system shows route regardless of whether there is a speed difference or not and this is in a sense "real" route signalling. (Though in another sense not because, for example, approaching a large station just being told which platform you're going to dpesn't necessarily tell you how you will get there).

"Automatic signal" is a bit of a fuzzy term to me, because it implies it is completely automatic and only actuated by trains in the signal blocks near it. Most permissive signals have more safety features (such as a tumbledown) which results from the detection of a direction traffic entering the single-track stretch between sidings/junctions.

In UK terminology I believe that "automatic signal" is a well defined term - it's one that the signaller can't directly control (aside from possibly being able to put to all or some automatic signals in an area to red in an emergency)

The North American system where a clear signal doesn't necessarily provide authority does seems strange from my UK perspective (though somebody will no doubt think of an example in the UK).

"Authority" is not a term I recall coming across in the UK until ETCS came in and signs referring to movement authority instead of obtaining tokens appeared.

This is, of course, an opportunity for wrong-side failure. If the "A" placard falls off or is removed, the Red signal is instantly upgraded from Stop Signal to Stop and Proceed Signal and that's very-much a bad thing.

Indeed. Though the driver should presumably know there ought to be a plaque.

Jovet

Thanks for the (important) corrections, and the link to the 'Absolute Permissive Block' description is very interesting - I'd never read about the single-line equivalent of ABS before (automatic signals and hand-thrown switches).
There is much great information on US signaling (especially older signaling, as CTC and CTC+PTC become more and more prevalent) on that site. Highly recommended!

In CTC or equivalent areas, does a dispatcher still need to grant authority for a train to depart e.g. a yard at the start of its journey and enter a main track (in addition to the signals permitting the movement)?
The dispatcher grants and conveys the authority by way of the signals under his control. No other dispatcher↔train-crew communication is required. Once the train crew sees a controlled signal (e.g. CTC territory) in front of them show a non-Stop aspect, they then know they have the authority to proceed up to and until the next controlled signal (unless the method of working changes first, of course).

The dispatcher's control of signals is similar to the binary control of British/Irish/Australian 2-position semaphores: the signal is either "on" or "off." A controlled signal that is "off" will then behave like an automatic signal would, and show an aspect according to track conditions. An "on" signal can only, of course, show Stop.

Lovely photo! I've yet to be in that part of the United States, but I'm sure I'll visit there at some point.

Yes the rules on when slow needs a flashing light to be slow and not restricted are a bit confusing.
Yellow on the bottom signal head with Red otherwise is always Restricting in the CROR. Flashing Red is used to mean Restricting when used in combination with Yellow or Flashing Yellow above it indicate Restricting at the next signal.

I agree the overall scheme is mostly consistent, so long as you realise there are two different schemes in use to indicate speed and you have to keep track of which one each aspect uses.
I.e. it could be position, e.g. top for line speed, middle for medium, bottom for slow.
Or it could be colour e.g. green for medium, yellow (or flashing yellow) for slow.
I'm sure it gets easier with practise - and also presumably on a given route you're not likely to be faced with examples of every single potential aspect.
There are actually more than two schemes in play, because there are (what appear to me to be) older signal aspects grandfathered in. (See the final aspects shown for 406 and 407.) And that doesn't include the "DV" placards which are also grandfathered in.

Thinking about this a bit more, I can see grounds for (as I have been) thinking of both North American systems as speed signalling, because the only information they give on routes is that required to know the appropriate speed.
In both cases aspects indicate speed, it's just that with route signalling the speed for a given aspect can vary from signal to signal rather than being fixed for all signals.
I disagree. Speed signaling aspects and indications convey a safe speed (at this signal or the next one, or both). Route signals do not. They may impose specific speed limits for safe train handling in anticipation for a critical stop, but that isn't the same as specifying an exact speed limit for a divergence. The distant signals (in advance of the junction signal) will often be made to show speed-limiting aspects in anticipation of the divergence at the subsequent signal, however. For example, that lovely photo of ac6000cw's shows that signal which displays Yellow over Yellow Approach Diverging for a diverging switch at the next signal... that is a "catch all" aspect on the Union Pacific, but if the turnout speed were slower it might show Approach, or if it were faster it might show Advance Approach or Approach Clear 50 instead. But, that's still not speed signaling, because the exact speed limit is conveyed by the timetable paperwork, not the junction signal indication.

The North American system where a clear signal doesn't necessarily provide authority does seems strange from my UK perspective (though somebody will no doubt think of an example in the UK).
Remember this is the majority. Only CTC provides authority through signals. Everything else (TWC+ABS, ABS, APB, DTC+ABS, etcetera) does not. Luckily, with the invention of radio communications, track warrants are simple to convey. There are not many staff/token authority systems in the United States to my knowledge, but I'd bet there are a few small ones somewhere. I can't seem to find hard numbers, but it's the big railroads that can afford CTC, most others cannot, so once you get away from the Class 1 railraods and a few of the Class 2s, you're dealing with track warrants.

"Authority" is not a term I recall coming across in the UK until ETCS came in and signs referring to movement authority instead of obtaining tokens appeared.
That's good to know. Surely a transplanted Americanism, for better or worse.

AdamWW

Established Member
The dispatcher's control of signals is similar to the binary control of British/Irish/Australian 2-position semaphores: the signal is either "on" or "off." A controlled signal that is "off" will then behave like an automatic signal would, and show an aspect according to track conditions. An "on" signal can only, of course, show Stop.

There will be those who know better than me but I'm pretty sure that's how controlled colour light signals operate in the UK.

Yellow on the bottom signal head with Red otherwise is always Restricting in the CROR. Flashing Red is used to mean Restricting when used in combination with Yellow or Flashing Yellow above it indicate Restricting at the next signal.

Indeed but the result is that sometimes slow is a steady yellow, sometimes flashing, and sometimes it can be either, adding a complication not there with other speeds.

TThere are actually more than two schemes in play, because there are (what appear to me to be) older signal aspects grandfathered in. (See the final aspects shown for 406 and 407.) And that doesn't include the "DV" placards which are also grandfathered in.

Agreed. And there are two difference systems for "clear to...." though both use the same colours to indicate speed. I presume these originate from different railroads (CN and CP?)
But I was saying that there are two general schemes for how to indicate speed, one using position, one using colour.

I disagree. Speed signaling aspects and indications convey a safe speed (at this signal or the next one, or both). Route signals do not. They may impose specific speed limits for safe train handling in anticipation for a critical stop, but that isn't the same as specifying an exact speed limit for a divergence.

OK maybe I've misunderstood.

I assumed that it would be like (I believe it is) in the UK, where at a given location there would be a fixed speed limit for each diverging route so an aspect indicating a divergence would implictly indicate such a fixed speed.
With North American route signalling does the limit for taking a divergence depend on train type...or is it just up to the driver what they consider appropriate?

eldomtom2

On Moderation
They may impose specific speed limits for safe train handling in anticipation for a critical stop, but that isn't the same as specifying an exact speed limit for a divergence.
As I've mentioned, the only term I've found for this (assuming you're referring to aspects cautioning of an upcoming stop aspect imposing speed limits) is "progressive speed signalling".

Jovet

OK maybe I've misunderstood.
I assumed that it would be like (I believe it is) in the UK, where at a given location there would be a fixed speed limit for each diverging route so an aspect indicating a divergence would implictly indicate such a fixed speed.
With North American route signalling does the limit for taking a divergence depend on train type...or is it just up to the driver what they consider appropriate?
I don't believe you misunderstood. I'm just pointing out that there's a difference, to me, between Diverging Clear implying a diverging speed limit of 25 MPH at one location and the same indication implying a speed limit of 40 MPH at another location, and a speed signaling indicaiton where Medium Clear always means 30 MPH (or whatever).

AdamWW

Established Member
I don't believe you misunderstood. I'm just pointing out that there's a difference, to me, between Diverging Clear implying a diverging speed limit of 25 MPH at one location and the same indication implying a speed limit of 40 MPH at another location, and a speed signaling indicaiton where Medium Clear always means 30 MPH (or whatever).

OK yes I agree there's definitely a difference and since North America doesn't generally go in for route signalling UK style then it makes perfect sense to describe the two schemes as speed and route signalling.

But from my UK-centric point of view, neither looks like route signalling to me because the signals are only indicating speed one way or another - there is no interest in distinguishing between different routes with the same speed as there would be in the UK. Hence my initial confusion.

Anyway this is all very interesting and thanks for your explanations.

I find North American signals fascinating as the aspects are so much more varied and complex than in the UK.

And more generally there are the methods of working that we don't, in particular track warrants. We're all operating trains on tracks but - for very good reasons - often in very different ways.

(And of course we also have systems that are rare or non-existant in the US, like Radio Electronic Token Block).

Jovet

But from my UK-centric point of view, neither looks like route signalling to me because the signals are only indicating speed one way or another - there is no interest in distinguishing between different routes with the same speed as there would be in the UK.
Keep in mind that, of the vast majority of junction locations where a signal can indicate for use of multiple tracks... there are only two tracks to choose from. And there are probably only two signal heads. So, other than the signal heads being arranged vertically versus left to right, the route indication effect is the same. Even if there are three signal heads and two tracks to choose from, because the signal needs to show something special like Diverging Approach Diverging or a Lunar White for a call-on, the true route philosophy still holds. Even if that isn't the intended engineering standard these days, like it was back in the day.

Anyway this is all very interesting and thanks for your explanations.
I find North American signals fascinating as the aspects are so much more varied and complex than in the UK.
And more generally there are the methods of working that we don't, in particular track warrants. We're all operating trains on tracks but - for very good reasons - often in very different ways.
(And of course we also have systems that are rare or non-existant in the US, like Radio Electronic Token Block).
Yes, as a "signalist," I enjoy learning about train traffic control and signaling from across the world. The truth is there is no one best, universal system, as each has pros and cons and is suited for circumstance. Of course, this is also true of many other things, some more culturally-iconic than others.

AdamWW

Established Member
Yes, as a "signalist," I enjoy learning about train traffic control and signaling from across the world. The truth is there is no one best, universal system, as each has pros and cons and is suited for circumstance. Of course, this is also true of many other things, some more culturally-iconic than others.

Absolutely.

And while there are excellent reasons to have a single signalling system across Europe, it will be interesting to see to what extent that results in some areas having a system that is less than optimal for their needs.

A while ago I read what seemed to be an internal presentation on having implemented ETCS on the Cambrian line in the UK, and it had a line along the lines of "This has made our simple railway very complicated".

Jovet

@Jovet while we have your attention - what's the most "eccentric" signalling in North America? In the UK I'd be nominating the stone signals at the Pass of Brander
That's an egg-cellent question. And not an easy one to answer. For one, I can't claim to be aware of all the different niche railroad signaling in North America. There are probably some odd ones out there today that I just don't know of. (Though, I am familiar with the Stone signals!)

Quite a lot of the older signaling, like 100 years ago or more, was pretty weird compared to today, as they experimented with what worked, what was practical, and what wasn't. Way back when, before the invention of yellow glass, green meant Caution and white/"clear" mean Clear, and some signaling systems were built around that. One that come to mind from that, after some evolution, were the Chicago and Northwestern Railway and their upper-quadrant semaphores that displayed red and green at the same time to blur together for "yellow" Caution at a distance. The C&NW employed several distinctive signals worth mentioning, including the only widespread horizontally-arranged colorlight signals, and searchlights with not round but capsule/spherocylinder-shaped targets.

It wasn't until sometime in the first half of the 20th century where three signal heads/arms was standardized as a maximum. Before that, some signals had more, especially when matched with a unique route past the signal.

The strangest signal design and schema I can think of ...well, I must admit I'm struggling to remember details off the top of my head. I can't remember the name of the railroad or where it was beyond eastern US. I do believe some of these signals may still be in isolated use, too, but the railroad that implemented them is gone. All of the signals were vertical colorlights, with two heads, each head having two lights with the same colors, arranged like this (if I remember correctly, which I probably do not):
EccentricSignaling2.png
The signal schema went something like this (but I'm pretty sure I've got this a bit wrong too, as I remember the colors/aspects working out better) exactly like this, at least in later years:
EccentricSignaling_Schema2.gif
It is a very simple system. And the homogeneity of it surely made it cheaper to implement. But, it's very weird to today's practices. If I remember or find any more details, I'll edit this post. I found some rules for this schema in an old Erie Lackawanna rulebook from the 60s. The originating railroad was the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western. The intentional use of dark heads, especially on top, is one of the things that makes this eccentric (e.g. weird and not necessary because alternatives exist) to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.